Lions vs. Riders Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

As much as I'm a die hard Lion fan, I don't like our chances in Regina this weekend. I hope I'm proven wrong. No question the Riders will be bringing the heat and will continue to blitz until the Lions prove they can make them pay. Would like to see the Lions make adjustments as the game progress instead of waiting til half time to make them.
Qman
Champion

Qman
Champion

Looks like Getzlaf is out. Riders looked pretty bad offensively last week with their new "very average" receiving core. Hugh Charles returns and will share time with Allen who is out of favour due to fumble-itis.
leo4life
All Star

Can Benny out coach Corey Chamblin?
Can Khari Jones out coach Richie Hall?
Can Mark Washington out coach George Cortez?
Not likely,i predicted the Lions would start 0-3
MexicoLionFan
Legend

leo4life wrote:Can Benny out coach Corey Chamblin?

This is exactly what we should be focusing on...the problem with the Lions isn't the players or talent...we are as good as any other team...its coaching. So when Benny, Jones and Washington begin to out coach their opponents, we will start winning.

Look at the games last night...MTL had 4 sacks against WIN and a ton of pressure, but Willy and the O put up 34 points...with less talent than the Lions...2 + 2 = 4. WIN is now 3-0, and we are staring at 0-3.

EDM had a ton of sacks/pressure against OTT and never let Burris gain his composure...brilliant coaching by Jones with a defence that has LESS TALENT than the Lions D...and look at Reilly...HUGE talent and weapons at WR, but he took what was being given and didn't try to make big play after big play...3 TDs NO INTs...just a smart, efficient effort...EE also ran for over 100 yards? We have similar talent but haven't accomplished anything resembling this, why? COACHING.

Either our Coaching staff rises to the challenge of great staffs around the league and has our teams prepared, or they need to be fired and replaced with those who can...the age of parity has arrived in the CFL...talent isn't the problem, its pretty even around the league, and the Lions D has better talent than most. Its time for the Lions to start winning games by the coaching out preparing the opposition instead of the other way around, week after week.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Defence, PRESSURE Durant all night, ruthlessly.

Offence, RUN the football and execute the quick pass game to control the Time of Possession.

S Ts, no miscues, good coverage, and 1 big return.

Do this and we can win...do it not, and we will lose.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
greenback
prospect

II. #66 and # 65 have nobody to mark them and thus have no backups thus each must be exploited by defensive lineman constantly mugging them, bullying each, and tugging them.

III. Lets face it, #6 will not run 15 yard inns. #88 must be intimidated by our linebackers play out as #15 is no better than an international player. The other two players #16 and #83 are what we call fresh legs that must be accounted for, lol.
As far as defense goes, Richie Kent, we think is running the defensive schemes. He is not a coach that knows how to blitz. All his calls are based on ncaa cover 4 shells. I know that!

Secondly, I wish that B.C. runs all the pig worms out of them. #95 been washed up and requires two backups. These backups are #91 and #90. #97, #92, and #93 are beasts. These defensive lineman are studs. I hope B.C. treats them like studs by getting past the first level on run plays.
In Conclusion, there LB(3) and CB(5) ought to tell you about their makeup. Somebody told me that this makeup is very beautiful. These cbs and lbs cannot come up and support anything, including the pass.
:rules: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :juggle:
pennw
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:

This is exactly what we should be focusing on...the problem with the Lions isn't the players or talent...we are as good as any other team...its coaching. So when Benny, Jones and Washington begin to out coach their opponents, we will start winning.

Look at the games last night...MTL had 4 sacks against WIN and a ton of pressure, but Willy and the O put up 34 points...with less talent than the Lions...2 + 2 = 4. WIN is now 3-0, and we are staring at 0-3.

EDM had a ton of sacks/pressure against OTT and never let Burris gain his composure...brilliant coaching by Jones with a defence that has LESS TALENT than the Lions D...and look at Reilly...HUGE talent and weapons at WR, but he took what was being given and didn't try to make big play after big play...3 TDs NO INTs...just a smart, efficient effort...EE also ran for over 100 yards? We have similar talent but haven't accomplished anything resembling this, why? COACHING.

Either our Coaching staff rises to the challenge of great staffs around the league and has our teams prepared, or they need to be fired and replaced with those who can...the age of parity has arrived in the CFL...talent isn't the problem, its pretty even around the league, and the Lions D has better talent than most. Its time for the Lions to start winning games by the coaching out preparing the opposition instead of the other way around, week after week.
I'd have to disagree with the statement of Bomber O and Esk D having less talent than Us . Nick Moore and Denmark are better than what we have currently active , I mean Poblah we got off them for Korey Banks before they released him , and Poblah starts for us( and has yet to prove he can catch a ball in a game ) . Their QB and Oline so far have proven to be better than Ours while Lulay is unavailable .Willy was under tremendous pressure last night and performed very well , can't say that about Glenn.
And I think I would trade our DE's for the Esks DE's( Marcus Howard and Odell Willis plus that new DE who looks equally capable) any day while their DT's are no slouches either . We're probably better at LB , but that #35 they have playing now is a significant upgrade over JC Sherrit and may prove to be as good as our guys yet .
pennw
Legend

BTW , MLF , I'm not disagreeing that those teams have better coaching than us .
leo4life
All Star

Great post Mexico.It will come down to the coaching for the Lions to start winning games.Look at Mike O'Shea last nt on the last Bomber drive.Calm and very focused.No running up and down the sidelines or other antics.The team takes the identity of its head coach.Benny is never clear about anything.Its trickled down to our team now with no focus and not prepared.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

greenback wrote:II. #66 and # 65 have nobody to mark them and thus have no backups thus each must be exploited by defensive lineman constantly mugging them, bullying each, and tugging them.

III. Lets face it, #6 will not run 15 yard inns. #88 must be intimidated by our linebackers play out as #15 is no better than an international player. The other two players #16 and #83 are what we call fresh legs that must be accounted for, lol.
As far as defense goes, Richie Kent, we think is running the defensive schemes. He is not a coach that knows how to blitz. All his calls are based on ncaa cover 4 shells. I know that!

Secondly, I wish that B.C. runs all the pig worms out of them. #95 been washed up and requires two backups. These backups are #91 and #90. #97, #92, and #93 are beasts. These defensive lineman are studs. I hope B.C. treats them like studs by getting past the first level on run plays.
In Conclusion, there LB(3) and CB(5) ought to tell you about their makeup. Somebody told me that this makeup is very beautiful. These cbs and lbs cannot come up and support anything, including the pass.
:rules: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :juggle:
I see that this is your first post Greenback, so welcome to Lionbackers.

Maybe it is just me but I find your referring to players by their numbers instead of names is rather confusing (at least to me) as half the time I'm not sure which team the number belongs to as I am not reading the post with a player roster in my hand.
I know most of the Lions players numbers but only a few of the opposing player numbers.

Also who is Richie Kent and what team does he coach? :dizzy:
BC 1988
Legend

leo4life wrote:Great post Mexico.It will come down to the coaching for the Lions to start winning games.Look at Mike O'Shea last nt on the last Bomber drive.Calm and very focused.No running up and down the sidelines or other antics.The team takes the identity of its head coach.Benny is never clear about anything.Its trickled down to our team now with no focus and not prepared.
Yes, I noticed that about O'Shea. Excellent demeanor for a HC in all the Bomber games so far. Between him and Chris Jones, both are really getting much more than expected out of their new teams. I wish we had either of them here.
swervynmerv
Legend

Boy does the CFL have a problem in Toronto. If there are 10,000 there tonight I would be shocked.

For every positive step the CFL takes, Toronto is the big elephant in the room. I don't know what the solution is but they need to do something. The sale to MLSE and move to
BMO Field is dead so I don't know what is next.
South Pender
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:

MLF, I agree with your assessment of our coaching, but I'm not so sure that our D is that talented. I thought so at one time, but now, like pennw, I don't think so. We lack the fearsome pass rush that a couple of talented DEs can provide. I think Khreem Smith is a serviceable player, but between him and Alex Bazzie, we're just not that great up front. Now this could change, and I sure hope it does, but at the moment, the D looks pretty ordinary to me talent-wise. You're right, for sure, that the D game-planning by the D coordinator has been pretty mediocre. Seems to me that, if we can't produce a great pass rush with our D-line, Washington should get a linebacker or two involved instead. Maybe drop Smith and Bazzie into short coverage and rush Bighill and/or Elimimian. I know that sounds a little bass-ackwards and maybe pretty risky, but we just have to find a way to instill a little fear into opposing QBs--force some knockdowns, ill-conceived passes, interceptions or produce a sack or three. You may be right that the talent is there, but, at this point, I haven't seen it. But, as you say, it may be mainly poor coaching....
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

We'll open a can of whoopass on'em.