Leos/Riders Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Our 2014 Leos football season wasn't supposed to start like this. Pundits in the off-season made our Leos the favorites to win the 2014 Grey Cup. Many fans expected saying goodbye to Chap and Stubler was all that was needed to make our offensive explosive and our defense aggressive and intimidating. The additions of Kevin Glenn, Steward, Player, Adekelo, and Poblah were expected to compliment the return of Kirby Fabian, the development of Haidra, and a full season of Stefan Logan in the backfield. Our offensive line was expected to be improved, our running game to be dynamic, based upon the way we ran the football at the end of last season with both Logan and Harris in the backfield, and our passing attack improved with former quarterback Khari Jones at the controls of our offence.

Defensively, the promotion of Mark Washington to defensive coordinator along with the signing of free agents Khalif Mitchell and Jamal Johnson were expected to make our defense more fearsome and more aggressive. The impressive training camps of Menard, Bezzie, Josh Johnson, Yell, and Torri Williams created excitement while vets like Taylor, Bighhill, Eliminian, Phillips Marsh, and Smith were expected to provide stability, leadership, and experience. Cord Parks was moved to short side halfback and expected to blanket slotbacks.

There was also a lot more excitement about our special teams this years as well. Add a punt and kick returner of Logan's speed, shiftiness, and talents along with a punter in Schmitt and it looked like we would be winning the field position game all season.

Our season began at home against Edmonton. Our offence started off gangbusters in the first quarter and slid into mediocrity. A bounce back game was expected against Montreal. Didn't happen. It was one of our worst offensive showings in a long, long time. We haven't been able to run the football, protect the quarterback at all, or not turn the football over. Defensively, we've been average and the aggressive, intimidating defense that was anticipated has not yet arrived. Montreal, like Edmonton, was able to avoid our defensive strengths and pick away at our weaknesses. In the special teams game we've been ineffective returning the football and we've been plain unprepared and outsmarted as well.

So, instead of being 2-0, going into Regina we find ourselves 0-2. Its been a very dismal start and its time to get this ship looking seaworthy. Its not as important to win in Regina as it is to start playing well and for our performance to start reflecting our talent level.

Here are my keys to the game"

COACHING

We've been badly outcoached so far. If we have a chance to win this game its going to take a different type of game plan from Benevedes, Jones, and Washington.

Jones needs to add some variety to the running attack and establish a quick passing attack to begin with. Dorazio needs to ensure our lineman understand their assignments against the blitz. Our Leos have historically struggled with blitz pickup and Dorazio has no excuse for not having our offensive lineman being able to pick up simple stunts and loops with a zone pass blocking system.

Defensively, Mark Washington has to adjust if the Riders go to the quick passing attack that Edmonton and Montreal used against us rather than coming with inside blitzes while sitting in passive zone.

McMann needs to have our special teams prepared..... and our return game blocking assignments sharp so that we can give Logan even a sniff of space to run to.

Kirby Fabian returns to the starting guard postion and Arsenault returns to the slot. Those two additions should be inspiring. However, our offence needs a different type of approach if we expect to beat the Riders. Defensively, we need to be more aggressive and on special teams we need to get our return game going

LEADERSHIP

We have not looked like an inspired team to start this season. In fact we've looked flat listless, and unexcited, both on the field and on the sidelines. You would swear that we were in the mid-season doldrums rather than playing early in a season in which we are hosting the Grey Cup. Its time for our coaching staff and our vets to lead our team in being mentally ready to play against the Riders, playing with discipline while also bringing an aggressive, excited approach to playing football.

THE TRENCHES

We've lost the trenches in both games so far. Regina has an excellent offensive line but we have a very talented defensive front seven in the CFL. Offensively, our offensive line needs to establish the line of scrimmage, begin knocking people backwards, and start getting run blocking and pass blocking assignments down.

WRAP

Kevin Glenn is a much better quarterback than we've seen so far this season. Stefan Logan and Andrew Harris are much better runners than their meagre run averages so far. Khalif Mitchell, Eric Taylor, Eliminian, Bighill, and Jamal Johnson are dominating players who have yet to be put in positions to make plays. Stegfan Logan is an electrifying return man. Benevedes says its about making plays. Our players need the proper scheme, game planning, and play callining to be put into positions so that they can make plays.

If that happens against Regina we can win this game. However, if our coaching staff approaches this game like our first two, it could be a long game to watch. Lets hope this time our coaches have given our players the ammunition to be able to come out of Regina with a victory.

Go Leos!!! :thup: :rockin:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the Keys, Blitz.

Depth chart ...

Got some serious talent on D.

Fabien in at left guard.

Steward in as backup OL.

Cave at left tackle.

Arceneaux in.

I expect us to be better. If, for no other reason, than that the players figure things out. Will we have top level game plans? Dunno ... Will we be prepared on STs? Dunno ...

But it will be interesting. We may rise to the challenge. We have some excellent talent.

Our receiving corps seems inexperienced, however. It may lack leadership. Not sure the talent level is CFL all star class. Is Manny ready to be a game breaker?

I see Jackson at wideout? Is he going to play?

Can we find a way to open some holes for Harris and Logan? Other teams seem to be able to scheme for some holes. Other teams seem to be able to scheme for pass blocking.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Just tweeted by 1040:

As per Rick Ball, Marco Iannuzzi is out tomorrow with food poisoning. Ernest Jackson questionable after falling making catch in practice.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
swervynmerv
Legend

Depth Chart on Rider Fans shows Getzlaf not playing tomorrow which will be an advantage for the Lions secondary. Their only experienced receiver will be Taj Smith.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions need to get off to a quick start and take their fans out of it.

2nd and long, watch the quarterback draw

No turnover by Glenn. Quick passes

Keep the offence simple

Run the football,

Run the football
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I wonder what the ice creaming/chest bumping HC will follow up with this week in his pre-game speech following his cryptic comment last week that "We suck."

Wally's words about lack of intensity in practice were hardly endearing as I'm afraid to say - that comment is not for the GM to make nor for him to observe UNLESS his hand picked HC has had one too many chest bumps and injured his brain or one too many freezies that is giving him brain cramps.

Looking at the MTL and WPG game - you see the coaching staff on both teams - calmer and more focused - even when their teams are brutally stupid with penalties etc.

Quite frankly, a HC in any sport if he is focused and their teams are clear on everything - basically says the same things all year. Pre-game reminders and half time review and refocusing their team on the keys to the game - the good and the needed.

As a rank amateur coach for many years of kids and mens' teams I have never chest bumped, made long speeches nor changed the messages that I learned from a former pro coach I worked with and pro athletes I have coached (several of which were still playing in the CFL but off season played some soccer). As the former pros all say, they don't like speeches and as a player myself NO ONE freaking listens if it's not on something specific to a game. Playing football as a kid there was a role for the motivational Larry Reda speeches BUT not all the time. We focused on what we needed to do to win a game (which is what his teams always did).

It's really time for the Lions HC to clearly define what his team is about as "We suck" and 'coordinators with chips on shoulder' don't cut it in the real world of sports.

Wally when he was HC set the tone for the team and like him or not as a player - he was pretty clear what he wanted and what players had to deliver. Wally had that edge and of course said 'they're paid to win' not paid to play. I know coaching senior mens' soccer I liked that pressure from the club as a HC - typically two years to win or else - as it gave me the leverage with the players that they must perform. It's like the best work cultures - create a performance oriented environment where people know they must perform and that poor performance will be addressed.

BUT if these Lions don't get some clarity quick in what they are as a team top down, this will be long, long season.

Luckily the Riders chatter seems to be some complacency might be there as they are GC champs and look like a solid team.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Lions need to get off to a quick start and take their fans out of it.

2nd and long, watch the quarterback draw

No turnover by Glenn. Quick passes

Keep the offence simple

Run the football,

Run the football
Interesting to watch Winnipeg come from behind to beat Montreal. They managed to put up 34 points against the Montreal blitz, which was very effective. However, with a number of offensive plays that involved receivers either running quick short patterns or deep seam patterns Willy was able to make some key completions, including the winning touchdown on third down.

Montreal's offence also did some very good things against the Winnipeg defense, which also brought a lot of pressure. Both offences looked much better prepared to face defensive pressure than we have so far this season.

As you emphasize, TheLionKing...run the football, quick passes, and then go over the top if time allows. We need to play smart. Opposing coaches have watched the tapes of us. On defense they are going to bring a lot of pressure. On offence they are going to go with a quick perimeter game and then take a shot downfield when the opportunity presents itself as we get lulled by the opposition quick passing game. We should be using a tight end on first down, lined up on the outside of our left tackle.

On defense there is no sense sending a lot of interior blitzes early, as we did in the last couple of games or blitzing so often on first down. It was a waste. Better to play tight coverage with help over the top on first down and bring the heat on second and long.

Gotta mention...Josh Johnson has been our best defensive player in our first two games. On offence Earnest Jackson leads us in receiving and hopefully he will be able to play, against Regina after injuring himself at practice.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good post Toppy. Watching tonight's game I was impressed with the demeanor of Mike O'Shea. He appeared totally calm and in control of his emotions. On the other hand our coach would be walking up and down the sidelines sweating, clapping and yelling at his players and officials.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I wonder what the ice creaming/chest bumping HC will follow up with this week in his pre-game speech following his cryptic comment last week that "We suck."

Wally's words about lack of intensity in practice were hardly endearing as I'm afraid to say - that comment is not for the GM to make nor for him to observe UNLESS his hand picked HC has had one too many chest bumps and injured his brain or one too many freezies that is giving him brain cramps.

Looking at the MTL and WPG game - you see the coaching staff on both teams - calmer and more focused - even when their teams are brutally stupid with penalties etc.

Quite frankly, a HC in any sport if he is focused and their teams are clear on everything - basically says the same things all year. Pre-game reminders and half time review and refocusing their team on the keys to the game - the good and the needed.

As a rank amateur coach for many years of kids and mens' teams I have never chest bumped, made long speeches nor changed the messages that I learned from a former pro coach I worked with and pro athletes I have coached (several of which were still playing in the CFL but off season played some soccer). As the former pros all say, they don't like speeches and as a player myself NO ONE freaking listens if it's not on something specific to a game. Playing football as a kid there was a role for the motivational Larry Reda speeches BUT not all the time. We focused on what we needed to do to win a game (which is what his teams always did).

It's really time for the Lions HC to clearly define what his team is about as "We suck" and 'coordinators with chips on shoulder' don't cut it in the real world of sports.

Wally when he was HC set the tone for the team and like him or not as a player - he was pretty clear what he wanted and what players had to deliver. Wally had that edge and of course said 'they're paid to win' not paid to play. I know coaching senior mens' soccer I liked that pressure from the club as a HC - typically two years to win or else - as it gave me the leverage with the players that they must perform. It's like the best work cultures - create a performance oriented environment where people know they must perform and that poor performance will be addressed.

BUT if these Lions don't get some clarity quick in what they are as a team top down, this will be long, long season.

Luckily the Riders chatter seems to be some complacency might be there as they are GC champs and look like a solid team.
One of your best posts, Toppy. :thup:

Sports and business. Leadership. Planning. Focus. Not blather. Not rah rah. Here is what we need from you. Three ideas max.

As I have said before:

Walter Payton to kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.

Jimmy Johnson: We gotta protect the ball. We have to make plays.

Hells Angels. Outlaw organization but very effective: Do Angel business. Defend other Angels.

Football Head Coach: A couple of reminders. And as important as anything, communicate a sense of promise (belief and confidence), a sense of urgency, a sense of seizing the moment.

I recall one of Vince Lombardi's pre game reminders. Paraphrasing: "We have practiced hard. There is nothing they can show us, that we have not seen before. You have earned this."
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

It's interesting to look at Benevedes record as a defensive coordinator prior to his appointment as our HC. Based upon points given up, this is how our defense ranked in the CFL under Benevedes.

2008 - 5th
2009 - 7th
2010 - 4th
2011 - 1st

In essence Benevedes defense was below average or average for 3 of the 4 seasons he was our defensive coordinator. He was promoted to HC following a very successful 2011 season but Benevedes was deemed the heir apparent to Wally, well before that campaign, dispite a dubious track record, as both a defensive coordinator or coordinator of our amateur draft selections.

It was not a body of work that usually would get a coordinator promoted from within to a Head Coaching position.

Benevedes took over a B.C. Lions team in 2012 that was loaded with talent. He also had two coordinators at the helm of our offence and defense (whatever one's opinions) who had a ton of experience and could be demanding. We finished first in 2012 but came out flat and awful in the WDF, losing to Calgary. We finished third in 2013 but got things turned around at the end of that season, only to lose to Regina in the Western Semi-Final in a game that we led 25-16 at the end of the third quarter, rushed for over 213 yards, but allowed Durrant to rush for 76 yards in that final frame to steal victory from the jaws of defeat.

The coordinators wore the heat for either our 2013 season or that playoff loss while Benevedes seemed to get a free pass and a contract extension.

The concept was that we needed a new direction both offensively and defensively. On defence there was a preference for a more aggressive defense than the 2013 edition and that we needed a different coaching style and fresh ideas on offence.

So far, dispite the return of the imposing Khalif Mitchell to facilitate the best interior defensive line rotation in the CFL, the landing of Jamal Johnson to compliment BIghill and Eliminian as the best linebacking unit in the CFL, and the addition of very aggressive, tough players in Josh Johnson, Torri Wiliams, and Yell, our defense has not looked aggressive or imposing.

Offensively, the concept for success for 2014 was to build off our successful running attack at the end of 2013, when we utilzed a new blocking scheme and the one-two punch of Logan and Harris, who were almost unstoppable in our last two regular season games of 2013 and our playoff game against Regina. It was expected that the utilization of both Stefan Logan and Andrew Harris for the entire 2014 season, would give our offence a huge boost and the younger, more player friendly Khari Jones, who had a ton of quarterback experience, would boost our passing attack.

Its only two games into the 2014 season but it hasn't started the way most anticipated. Offensively, we've struggled badly and defensively we've looked anything but imposing. More troubling is that we've looked flat and uninspired, poorly prepared, and even this early in the season Wally has criticized the effort at practices.

The honeymoon period for Benevedes is over. A veteran, very talented team in 2012, performed well in the looser, positive, rah rah atmosphere of Benevedes first season as HC. There is often a posiive effect in the first year of a new HC, especially when the prevous HC has been a hard task master. A freshness takes place that can be invigorating. This affect is often seen in a mid-season firing of a HC and the new coach seems to turn things around...at least for a while.

However, the freshness affect of a new HC only lasts for so long. In the longer term, coaching success is based upon a clear philosophy, high expectations, excellent preparation, and very sound coaching principles, knowledge, and expertise.

Our Lions team is far too talented to have played as poorly as we have for our first two games. We have looked unprepared, badly outcoached, and our play has been uninspired.

Against Regina, if I see that we have made some adaptions to our offensive game planning I will be relieved. If I see some adaptions to our running attack to provide some more variety than the two running plays we went into the Montreal game with, if I see more utilziation of a quick passing attack, and the ability to get assignments right to deal with stunts and loops, it will be reassuring that our offence is heading in the right direction.

On defense, if I see that we are moving away from loose zone and playing tighter coverage, if we face a quick passing attack, it will provide a sense that our defense is adapting to the type of offences we've seen in our first two games.

If I see that we are playing inspired, aggressive football as well as the adaptions mentioned above, win or lose, I will feel more confident about this 2014 Lions edition. The most important thing is for our Leos 2014 team right now is that we are moving in a positive direction.

However, more of the same of our first two outings this season, will be disillusioning.

We need to run the football, start making some high percentage completions, and get our offence in sync. On defense, we need to play less passively on pass defense. If we can do those things we have a very good chance in Regina. The Roghriders are weaker on defense this season and their receiving corps is not a strong one going into this game.

I dont' want to hear again that we 'sucked' from Benevedes or that our 'players need to make plays'. Its his job to make sure that we don't suck and our players do make plays.

We need to play better today to get some confidence happening. Hopefully we will. :thup:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Interesting to watch Winnipeg come from behind to beat Montreal. They managed to put up 34 points against the Montreal blitz, which was very effective. However, with a number of offensive plays that involved receivers either running quick short patterns or deep seam patterns Willy was able to make some key completions, including the winning touchdown on third down.

After watching the 2 games last night, you just see the degree of difference between their coaching staffs and ours. WIN and EDM in particular, two teams that had massive changes, and could NOT be expecting much are both 3-0...and for one reason only...COACHING.

I guarantee, if the same staffs from last year were still in place there, those 2 teams would be 1-2, or 0-3...O'Shea is a HOF football player, Jones is a HOF DC...we have Benny who hasn't excelled at any point of his football career...Khari Jones showed flashes in his one season in HAM but needs time...and Mark Washington hasn't showed us anything.

As for Benny's DC success in 2011, that simply would NOT have happened unless Stubler came on board to right the ship. Benny hasn't succeeded at anything in football.

If we go 0-3 tonight, how are we going to catch either WIN and EDM with their coaching staffs and home field advantages? We will be looking for a cross over position which hopes that MON and OTT struggle all season, and we somehow outplay CGY or SSK??? The odds of making the playoffs are getting long already...

If the Lions want to win tonight, we must pressure Durant ALL GAME, and Washington hasn't shown us any fortitude to do this...offensively we must CONTROL the TOP...run the ball and the quick pass game, and then play action...Jone's is known for this, so why he has gone away from it in the first 2 games is beyond me. The bottom line is this, either our staff rises to the challenge of outstanding coaching around the league or we will continue to lose.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

1) A fast start will tell us how well prepared (mentally) this Leos team is. Hopefully we kick-off to them, Schmitt hits it deep and they're scrimmaging from < 35 yard line. Then get a quick 2 and out or a turnover. This will give the team life and confidence.

2) We can't get behind in this game, certainly not by 2 touchdowns. If so, we're playing to our weakness - we'll see the run game disappear and Glenn will continually try to go deep (with the Rider D pinning their ears back). As others have stated, an effective quick passing game is essential. Burn them on the blitz. I want to see more jumbo formations or single/double tights too. If we don't pick up their stunts, twists, and loops, it could be a long evening.

3) Get Logan out in space. Harris and Logan must be effective to set up play action. Hopefully Harris can be used on a lot of swing/screen passes. Ricky Ray dissected that Rider D last week and he didn't need to go deep to do so. Just took what they gave him all afternoon. We have the quarterback to do it, but must protect him, and he will occasionally have to step up in the pocket past pressure to make his throws.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:

After watching the 2 games last night, you just see the degree of difference between their coaching staffs and ours. WIN and EDM in particular, two teams that had massive changes, and could NOT be expecting much are both 3-0...and for one reason only...COACHING.

I guarantee, if the same staffs from last year were still in place there, those 2 teams would be 1-2, or 0-3...O'Shea is a HOF football player, Jones is a HOF DC...we have Benny who hasn't excelled at any point of his football career...Khari Jones showed flashes in his one season in HAM but needs time...and Mark Washington hasn't showed us anything.

As for Benny's DC success in 2011, that simply would NOT have happened unless Stubler came on board to right the ship. Benny hasn't succeeded at anything in football.

If we go 0-3 tonight, how are we going to catch either WIN and EDM with their coaching staffs and home field advantages? We will be looking for a cross over position which hopes that MON and OTT struggle all season, and we somehow outplay CGY or SSK??? The odds of making the playoffs are getting long already...

If the Lions want to win tonight, we must pressure Durant ALL GAME, and Washington hasn't shown us any fortitude to do this...offensively we must CONTROL the TOP...run the ball and the quick pass game, and then play action...Jone's is known for this, so why he has gone away from it in the first 2 games is beyond me. The bottom line is this, either our staff rises to the challenge of outstanding coaching around the league or we will continue to lose.
I agree totally with your post MLF. We really haven't been physically dominated or out-talented. Its not as if defenses have lined up four or five players and just plain beat our offensive linemen. Its not as if Logan or Harris haven't been able to make plays if they had a crack of space. Its not as if Glenn has been unable to make completions if he had time. Its not that our recivers have not been abler to get open or make catches, when there has been opportunity to make a reception.

The fact is that defenses have blitzed the hell out of us, as well as run a lot of stunts, and we've plain been confused and missed assignments. They have run blitzed and pass blitzed us successfully while keying either Logan or Harris out of the backfield. They've often played press or tight coverage, knowing the ball had to be delivered quickly.

On defense its not as if Mitchell, Taylor, or Westerman haven't gotten inside penetration or Smith, Menard, or Bezzie haven't brought some heat from the edge. Its not as if Eliminian, Bighill, Jamal Johnson, and Josh Johnson have played poorly. Their pursuit has been impressive. Its just that offences have gone to a quick perimeter game and we've had our pass defense playing conservatively.

In effect, its been opposition 'tactics' that have paid off for the two wins against us (plus a couple of special teams plays as well) and our tactics have not been at the same high level.

We know the Riders do not have a strong receiving corps going into this game. They will want to run the football and also use the quick passing attack. We need be prepared for this.

Offensively we know they will key Logan and Harris in the run game and in the flats. We can send either on different types of pass patterns (eg: Harris touchdown against the Eskimos was based on a downfield pattern) and we can also negate the run blitz with power formations and also play action out of them.

Its not as if we've played poorly individually. Its just that we have not played smart football and that onus is on our coaching staff. Its the old adage of evolution - adapt or die. It used to be the weak get eaten, the strong survive. Its now the 'dum'' get eaten and the smart survive.
Blitz
Team Captain

One B.C. Lion player sure to be excited about tonight's game is Sol E.

Its easy to forget that Sol E. was injured when we played the Riders in the playoff last season. I always wonder what difference it would have made if Sol E. had been in our defensive lineup in that fourth quarter.

Looking forward to seeing him play against the Riders tonite.