Lions @ Riders, July 12, 2014 Preview

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Can the Lion's win this game? Probably not, but it is possible...however, I will say it again, if the game plan's don't change dramatically, the Lions can't win...its literally quantum physics.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

Korey Williams just tweeted that he won't be travelling to Regina; that he has been placed on the practice roster.

Looks like Arceneaux and Iannuzzi (for Kito Poblah) get added to the line-up.

I love Korey's speed, but I think his route running still needs a bit of work.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Can the Lion's win this game? Probably not, but it is possible...however, I will say it again, if the game plan's don't change dramatically, the Lions can't win...its literally quantum physics.
Hmmm, an interesting interpretation of the Lions and Riders as fermions, which by the Pauli exclusion principle cannot simultaneously occupy the same victory eigenstate.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

Well this sucks. Ernest Jackson now doubtful for Saturday.
Mike Beamish ‏@sixbeamers 5m

#BCLions receiver Ernest Jackson hobbled with suspected ankle injury after Thursday practice. Availability questionable.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/video/index/id/98631

Hunter Steward going with the Lions to Regina.

Huge guy. Speaks well. Could be a mainstay of our O Line for years. If we can keep him healthy. :cr:

6th O Lineman. Jumbo formation.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
green road kill
Rookie

I may be one of those halve full halve empty people but,Can we win ya we can . Two things about the game on Sat.One is we are not as bad as we have shown (hopefully) and two the Riders may not be as good . To win on Sat here are somethings that have to hapen . Manny and Jackson are two big fast targets and will push the Rider db's to the limit,get them the ball, deep short flats ,screens , I don't care just get them the ball.The run game, attack the centre the Rider d line is chik and Foly on the ends the centre is weaker,plus the lb core is not what it was last year.Counters,traps screens quick hitters ,make think and react to us . The Oline both game planning and play have got to improve , getting KF back should help . We have to be more agressive in our pass and run blocking . The most importent thing fore Sat is to minamize ChiC AND Foly. On D unchain the dogs , our db's should be able to handle the Rider recievers our lb's will take care of the run ,dline will plug up the middle. But go after Durant hit him knock him on his but be aggressive not scarred.I just spent 1 our listning to the Rider media talk about what a blow out this will be.Lts hope when I leave the game I'M WALKEN ON ROAD KILL
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Well this sucks. Ernest Jackson now doubtful for Saturday.
Mike Beamish ‏@sixbeamers 5m

#BCLions receiver Ernest Jackson hobbled with suspected ankle injury after Thursday practice. Availability questionable.

Get Arceneaux back , now we may lose Jackson. One of those years.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Korey Williams just tweeted that he won't be travelling to Regina; that he has been placed on the practice roster.

Looks like Arceneaux and Iannuzzi (for Kito Poblah) get added to the line-up.

I love Korey's speed, but I think his route running still needs a bit of work.

Confirmed by cfl.ca. That's the only transaction noted so far this week for the Lions. Mike Beamish is suggesting Poblah and Iannuzzi may both play wideout with Ernest Jackson expected to miss the game with an ankle injury. Then there's Stephen Adekolu, who is still waiting to make his regular season debut. Unless Jackson makes a quick recovery, the Lions will have an extra import spot to deploy elsewhere. Tim Brown or Keola Antolin, perhaps?

Agreed on Williams's strengths and weaknesses. He's my favourite Lion receiver because of his quickness, excellent hands and top-end potential but his route running needs work.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:Can the Lion's win this game? Probably not, but it is possible...however, I will say it again, if the game plan's don't change dramatically, the Lions can't win...its literally quantum physics.
Hmmm, an interesting interpretation of the Lions and Riders as fermions, which by the Pauli exclusion principle cannot simultaneously occupy the same victory eigenstate.

Exactly SJ...

BCFAN, the other thing about Williams is that he does not make a big target for the QB...and that's a big thing for QBs...you need WRs that either can get open early or present a big target to help their sight lines and confidence...even if you don't use those quick reads, having them gives you so much more confidence to look down the field to find a principal target.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

MexcioLionFan wrote:...and that's a big thing for QBs...you need WRs that either can get open early or present a big target to help their sight lines and confidence...even if you don't use those quick reads, having them gives you so much more confidence to look down the field to find a principal target.
....which is why I am a little baffled Adekolu hasn't been activated these first 3 weeks. He made arguably the toughest catches of all receivers in the preseason games (6 catches in total) and IMO, should be playing ahead of Poblah at this point.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

1greatmysticbushape wrote:bring back chaps.
You can walk out of a bad marriage and choose a bad mate as your next partner, but it doesn't mean you were wrong to leave the bad marriage.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

where is that old coyote these days?
swervynmerv
Legend

green road kill wrote:I may be one of those halve full halve empty people but,Can we win ya we can . Two things about the game on Sat.One is we are not as bad as we have shown (hopefully) and two the Riders may not be as good . To win on Sat here are somethings that have to hapen . Manny and Jackson are two big fast targets and will push the Rider db's to the limit,get them the ball, deep short flats ,screens , I don't care just get them the ball.The run game, attack the centre the Rider d line is chik and Foly on the ends the centre is weaker,plus the lb core is not what it was last year.Counters,traps screens quick hitters ,make think and react to us . The Oline both game planning and play have got to improve , getting KF back should help . We have to be more agressive in our pass and run blocking . The most importent thing fore Sat is to minamize ChiC AND Foly. On D unchain the dogs , our db's should be able to handle the Rider recievers our lb's will take care of the run ,dline will plug up the middle. But go after Durant hit him knock him on his but be aggressive not scarred.I just spent 1 our listning to the Rider media talk about what a blow out this will be.Lts hope when I leave the game I'M WALKEN ON ROAD KILL
You make some great points; however I wouldn't worry about the Regina media's comments though. The Riders could be playing Tom Brady and the Patriots and the media and fans would pick the Riders to win by 3 TD's!!

My keys to the game, in addition to yours are the same that they are every time the Lions play in the madhouse which is Mosaic:

1. The Leos need to have a fast start. The Riders get momentum off the crowd, but if they struggle early, they will turn on them in a heartbeat. Mosaic is a tough place to win at the best of times, never mind trying to mount a comeback.

2. Pressure! Pressure! Pressure! As you mentioned, I would rather lose and be aggressive, than lose because we sat back and play conservative defence (i.e. 2013 WSF)

No QB likes getting hit, but Durant seems to get irritated more than most and will have a tendency to "pout" if he gets hit as you can see his body language change. This causes him to put the ball places that it shouldn't go and to throw off his back leg. If we can force a couple of INT's, he tends to throw them in bunches.

3. Make the plays you are supposed to!! That means if you have a sure Pick 6 in your hands, don't drop it! Wrap up players when you a clear tackle, catch the ball that is thrown to you and hit's you in the hands and most of all, don't throw the ball into the defensive lineman's hands!!

4. The Riders are having a bit of turmoil as well. Anderson, whether you like him or not was their best shut down DB and played against the top receivers. They will have two young guys at that position. While the Lions are starting to get healthy, the Riders have some injury issues. Getzlaf didn't practice again this week and is questionable and All-Star O-lineman Xavier Fulton was hobbling during the Toronto game so he may be playing injured as well.

5. Speaking of bias (mine as well), my usual advice to the refs to open their eyes and not be intimidated by the Rider faithful! NO TEAM in the CFL gets away with more Offensive Line holding and Receiver offside than the Riders!!! Rider fans would say that I am biased, but it is the truth. I watch their games when they are not playing the Lions and it is amazing how many times Durant is in trouble and the O-Line are blatantly holding guys. It's even worse when they play at home as the refs seem to be intimidated by the crowd. I pray we don't get Andre Proulx and his crew!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

1greatmysticbushape wrote:where is that old coyote these days?
You mean Chap ? He's now the head coach at his alma mater SFU
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

that'll keep him busy.