Riders arrange trade with Argos

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:Riders have just signed Jerome Messam, the player I was hoping the Leos would sign again for running back depth. I would expect them to insert him in their line-up on Saturday.
B.C.FAN wrote:On his weekly radio show Monday night, Bene made the same points as Wally that the Lions have been missing four starters on offence (I guess it's five if you count Lulay) but that Arceneaux and Iannuzzi are close to coming back and they'll give the receiving corps a big lift when they do. I was surprised how much Wally and Bene both praised Iannuzzi as a valuable missing piece of the offence. Wally and Bene also talked optimistically about the progress being made by Kirby Fabien and Hunter Steward in their recovery.
Yea, this is what I was getting at BCF. There is a disconnect here. LU has been reporting that the Leos have been shopping Marco, he's on the "outs," and that he's been a healthy scratch.

DH :cool:
I don't see a disconnect at all over Iannuzzi. After all if you are trying to trade someone then you want to increase interest and perceived value for the player. Hence the "valuable piece of the Offence" comments, even when he actually isn't all that valuable to the Lions (due mostly to national receiver depth imo and not so much a lack of Iannuzzi's ability).
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
notahomer wrote:Sure hope the rumour that Banks may be on the Riders wish list is wrong. I'd hate to have another long-term Leo playing out his career in green. For his sake, I get it fine, he deserves to play but long-term Leos finishing in Riderland? :puke:
Lion players are being sent out to greener pastures prior to retirement. If he couldn't cut it in Winnipeg, I don't see the need for Banks here though, he isn't the Banks of 2012 and with our current problem in schemes, he isn't going to be the saviour.
I'm not saying Banks needs to be here, I'm just saying, selfishly, that I wish long-term Leos didn't retire in Rider colours. I've watched Clermont, Simon both finish their careers on the field in Regina; I hope Banks doesn't retire after playing as a Rider....
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:
Rammer wrote:
notahomer wrote:Sure hope the rumour that Banks may be on the Riders wish list is wrong. I'd hate to have another long-term Leo playing out his career in green. For his sake, I get it fine, he deserves to play but long-term Leos finishing in Riderland? :puke:
Lion players are being sent out to greener pastures prior to retirement. If he couldn't cut it in Winnipeg, I don't see the need for Banks here though, he isn't the Banks of 2012 and with our current problem in schemes, he isn't going to be the saviour.
I'm not saying Banks needs to be here, I'm just saying, selfishly, that I wish long-term Leos didn't retire in Rider colours. I've watched Clermont, Simon both finish their careers on the field in Regina; I hope Banks doesn't retire after playing as a Rider....
I agree there, and there is one more so/so ex-Lion to add to the list of likely retiring a Rider...Foley. Banks has caught on with the Riders, so I expect that he will add that veteran leadership that they like, without as much onfield production at a decent cost.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
Rammer wrote:
As long as the SMS is as it is, these players that get expensive will be moved along when the cheaper guy is available. It's not avoidable. Also some GMs like Wally Buono - are likely to keep cutting them before their due date much like tossing the still fine tasting milk out - as the best before date is today.

I think if the experience of Clermont and Simon with the Green Riders is any example - it is one where it doesn't matter how big a CFL star you were here and even if you are a home grown guy (Clermont) you're not anybody special when you come to the Riders. It's almost if even the coaches don't want them. BUT Geroy was able to get a good pay day out of the Riders and keep that career going with one more playing year and a GC win and now has the Green Riders giving him a job to keep him in football - that is classy of them as Geroy could have been on the outside entirely and spending a year out of football rather than inside and learning a new role.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:As long as the SMS is as it is, these players that get expensive will be moved along when the cheaper guy is available. It's not avoidable. Also some GMs like Wally Buono - are likely to keep cutting them before their due date much like tossing the still fine tasting milk out - as the best before date is today.
One of the unfortunate byproducts of any cap system is that players rarely will finish their careers with the same team they spent most of their time with. Teams simply cannot justify paying older veterans for what they used to be able to do and wind up having to make difficult choices with fan favourites.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:As long as the SMS is as it is, these players that get expensive will be moved along when the cheaper guy is available. It's not avoidable. Also some GMs like Wally Buono - are likely to keep cutting them before their due date much like tossing the still fine tasting milk out - as the best before date is today.
One of the unfortunate byproducts of any cap system is that players rarely will finish their careers with the same team they spent most of their time with. Teams simply cannot justify paying older veterans for what they used to be able to do and wind up having to make difficult choices with fan favourites.
I disagree, Milt Stegall, Anthony Calvillo, Joffrey Reynolds, and Ben Cahoon are superstars that were able to retire after their long term career on their respective teams. Another close to it now is Nik Lewis, but what you can't see on that list is any BC Lion, for mostly one reason and one reason only. It is not due to financial terms, it has to do with confidence in finding a younger player with similar skillset that will get better, and isn't on the downhill side of their career. It does test the fans of the Lions, knowing that Geroy has green blood now, stains his Lion career, regardless of his words of disdain for the Lions organization. In fact his frustrations are probably more like that of fans than that of a player, thinking that he should have finished his career in BC vs Regina.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:
Hambone wrote:
I disagree, Milt Stegall, Anthony Calvillo, Joffrey Reynolds, and Ben Cahoon are superstars that were able to retire after their long term career on their respective teams. Another close to it now is Nik Lewis, but what you can't see on that list is any BC Lion, for mostly one reason and one reason only. It is not due to financial terms, it has to do with confidence in finding a younger player with similar skillset that will get better, and isn't on the downhill side of their career. It does test the fans of the Lions, knowing that Geroy has green blood now, stains his Lion career, regardless of his words of disdain for the Lions organization. In fact his frustrations are probably more like that of fans than that of a player, thinking that he should have finished his career in BC vs Regina.
I didn't say never, just rarely. I'll give you AC and Cahoon but they, like Angus Reid or Gene Makowsky, are becoming more the exceptions than the rule. However Stegall's last season was only the 2nd season where penalties were doled out and GMs were still trying to figure out how to manage their salary structure. Also with Stegall there was a little issue with all-time records. Milt was chasing Pitts' receiving yardage mark finishing 2007 around 300 yards shy. There would've been public floggings in Winnipeg if the Bombers didn't give Milt one more season to break that mark. Geroy on the other hand already had that record in the bank as a Lion. Regardless though Milt was going to go out as a Bomber unless he had it in his craw to play again in 2009. He likely would've had to do that elsewhere. Reynolds however can't be included in your list. His situation was no different than Simon, Clermont or Banks. Calgary tried to trade him after the 2010 season. When they couldn't find a trading partner they gave up and released him in January 2011. Once a FA he still was unable to find another landing spot. The only difference between the 3 Leos and Reyolds is that the former managed to find another team, the latter didn't. I wouldn't count my chickens on Lewis either. I think he and the Stamps are very close to that crossroads where Nik and the Stamps either come to a mutual agreement that it's time to hang up the cleats or time for him to move on if he wants to keep playing. I wouldn't be at all shocked if he failed to finish the season on the Calgary roster given the shape he looked to be in for that exhibition game at BCP.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.