Als disrespect the Lions ?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MONTREAL — The record of the Montreal Alouettes at B.C. Place Stadium in the last decade should be enough motivation for the B.C. Lions when the teams next meet July 19, but at least one player has already identified some incentive that was lacking in their 24-9 loss here Friday.

Ryan Phillips thought about for it awhile and agreed if the tables were turned, his team might have done the same thing, but the veteran Lions defensive back ultimately concluded the Als were guilty of trying to run up the score in the rout.

Second-year Als quarterback Troy Smith was in kneel-down mode at the end, but Phillips contended Montreal tried to convert drives on third down too often. Phillips also took issue with a deep pass attempt to S.J. Green that was both figuratively and literally out of bounds.

“You’re already up by two full scores, and you’re still throwing deep balls? You have no choice but to take it as disrespect. They were trying to embarrass us,” Phillips said. “I can’t blame them. But in a couple of weeks, I don’t care if we’re up by 40 points, let’s go for the embarrassment. If you’re going to be throwing deep balls with your starting quarterback late in the game, we might as well keep blitzing and go ahead and knock his head off.”

Teammate Cord Parks also objected to the deep throw and was among the players removed from the game by coach Mike Benevides.

“Fight before that, not after that,” said Benevides. “Guys are angry, but do something about it in the first 40 minutes.”

Phillips said the Als were the better team but appeared to be in search of a spark after a game in which his teammates showed little or none. Not everyone agreed with his assessment either.

“This ain’t Pop Warner; step on (our) neck because we’re going to (try) and do it to them. I don’t care about sportsmanlike conduct type of bleep,” Dante Marsh said. “You got a dog, you better kick him when he’s down. If you need another grown man to motivate a grown man, this is not the profession for you. This is not for the weak or the timid.”

Marsh, however, was taking notes.

“You got one guy who made one catch beating their chest like they just won the Grey Cup. That’s fine. We’re going to remember all that.”

The Lions should also remember just how utterly awful they played Friday, too.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ullri ... story.html
MexicoLionFan
Legend

TLK I think its a load of crap...if the Lions don't like it, then PLAY BETTER and HARDER. The Lions, including Phillips should shut up and let their play on the field do the talking...especially coming from Mr. Ole.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:TLK I think its a load of crap...if the Lions don't like it, then PLAY BETTER and HARDER. The Lions, including Phillips should shut up and let their play on the field do the talking...especially coming from Mr. Ole.
24 to 9 is running up the score and disrespect the Lions??!!!! WTF!!! This team is in worse shape than two losses. Benevides should have ended that with a better statement than that.

I can't believe a Lion player actually bit on that one and maybe it was put to him that by the reporter. I'll cut him some slack as he might have just agreed to this but that is nuts.

If it was 48 to 9 and they were trying for a final TD then maybe they were trying to run up the score. If it was a young back up QB at the helm, then I'd never agree to running the score up claims.

If this motivates anyone - yikes. It's about to become a long season.

As a coach who has seen his team on a rare occasion get thrashed I never once thought of the other team running up the score. That stuff just happens. It happened to my div. 1 men's team the same year we got promoted to Premier. About the 2nd or 3rd game we ran into a buzz saw and we just got the crap kicked out of us. It was a big, tough team and we weren't ready mentally, physically and organizationally. We got trashed like 7 to 2 but we used that to establish the bench mark. We finished the year 14-2-2 and won the last 12 games in a row including beating that same team that thrashed us 1 to 0. We were better organized (and coached by then) and we didn't try to match their physicality - we just kept the ball moving and kept it out of the middle of the park. NOT one player mentioned how we had to recall how they thrashed us to motive the guys. It was a lessons learned for us - mostly ME as I realized we played stupidly and it was on me for how I organized the side.

The irony is that years later we merged with that club where the guys still joke about that. When we did the merger one of my players who was injured in that game asked me "Greg, if I was unable to ever walk again after that game - would you still have merged? "

As MLF says, grow a pair.

This is freaking pro and they should talk like a pro.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

I agree with MLF and Toppy Vann....and hey that even rhymes.

If the players who commented want respect they might begin with the concept of self-respect. You do that with your own play on the field. Phillips missed tackles and Parks has not had a good start to this season..... so perhaps the wisest thing would be to shut up and let your play start doing the talking instead of whining.

I'm with Dante.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan :whs: :
Toppy Vann: :whs:
Blitz: :whs:
Dante Marsh: :whs:

and I'm guessing TLK thinks similar?

I still think this team (the Lions) has a lot of possibilities but worrying about 'respect' won't matter much. Guess we'll see.....
Rammer
Team Captain

That isn't running up the score, Lions D should be happy that the Als didn't lay connect on some long balls at that point. To me it says more about the Lions vulnerable areas, which has been exposed over the last couple of seasons. No worries about tossing a ball up for grabs deep on the sidelines as teams expect zero negative results other than an incompletion. Success can result from a completion or a PI, both resulting in softening up the Lions D, which don't often recover from that type of play on a drive.

Phillips is just trying to find some motivation, at least he placed some effort in that area of the game albeit a little too late or early pending on your point of view.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

"Run up the Score"? How does only scoring 24 points rate as a run up?

Now with the Argos scoring 45 points on the Riders is anyone in Riderville whining about being disrespected?

Well, until they play better I have no respect for DBs who can't tackle, an O that looks like a deer in the headlights and a HC whose sideline demeanor (chest bumps) is somewhat embarrassing and generally does not inspire confidence.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Is that whining?

Is it a reach too far for a rallying cry?

What's to respect at this point? Two losses to teams that were at the bottom of the standings last year? No running game. No passing game. No pass protection. Easily tricked special teams. Conservative defence that scares no one. A Head Coach who is badly out of touch, in way over his head, with a nice new contract extension tucked under his back belt, with that unused play sheet (a style flourish).

At this time, I think the best we can hope for is some respectability. Montreal would have been one of the easier games on the schedule. 24-3 until a late TD by us, aided by three major Montreal penalties. We got our butts kicked by a poor team. Here comes the stunt. Ready? Oooops ... Not ready. Ready this time? Ooops ... Not ready again. Poor old Kevin Glenn. The deal of the century, by the Boss, his benefactor and mentor, says Mike Benevides.

Not sure Kevin Glenn is to blame. Not sure Khari Jones is to blame for the woes of the pass protection. Not sure Khari is to blame for the inadequate running game. Yes, he is the OC, and he is responsible. But ... How about the disconnect between recruiting O Linemen and evaluating and keeping them? How about developing one of our own left tackles, instead of trying to find some kind of purrfect one in the US? Is it not humanly possible for us to have a system that gives our quarterback adequate protection? Well, No, it is not possible because of injuries. Because of youth. Because of guys going home. Because of guys being sent home. Because we have new guys all over the place. It is just not humanly possible. OK. (Is there a reason we were turned down by LaPolice and Cortez? No say in whom they get to work with? Not really masters of their ship? Saddled with some of Wally's lifers?)

In football, as in most things in life, respect has to be earned.

The return visit by the Alouettes will be interesting. Will our ship be righted to an extent?

Scary visit to Regina? Who knows? The athletes themselves might get their game faces on. Sometimes that happens. Poor game plan? Undermanned? Out coached? Forgedaboutit. Just get after the guy in front of you. All those details slowing you down? Keep it simple for yourself. Job 1. Take care of your man. Survive in the jungle.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:MexicoLionFan :whs: :
Toppy Vann: :whs:
Blitz: :whs:
Dante Marsh: :whs:

and I'm guessing TLK thinks similar?

I still think this team (the Lions) has a lot of possibilities but worrying about 'respect' won't matter much. Guess we'll see.....
Me as well. 24-9 is hardly running up the score. Believe me I've seen a lot worse beating. Perhaps it's Phillip's way of motivating himself and the team. Whatever works I guess...
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WB was just on 1040 with Sekeres and echoed the consensus here. He claimed not to know who was complaining but was clear he wasn't buying it anyway.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It’s rarely any surprise that when a losing team suggest the victors were trying to run up the score or show a little bravado en route to victory that there would be a reaction to the reaction.

Such was the case again at the first practice of the week Monday for the Montreal Alouettes, who weren’t impressed about charges by Lions defensive players that they allegedly behaved in less than textbook fashion by their estimation in the 24-9 whitewash Friday.

A few gems, courtesy of the Montreal Gazette:

Als receiver Brandon London: “That’s sucker *poop*… Nobody was thinking about running the score up on the BC Lions. It’s about improving the offence of the Montreal Alouettes. That’s what we were thinking.”

London drew the attention of the Lions’ Dante Marsh when he reacted after making a first-down catch.

“Nobody’s going to tell me what to do.

We didn’t win no Grey Cup, but they gave up in the second half. That’s what happened. They weren’t playing with the same intensity. Guess they saw their offence struggling.”

It was Ryan Phillips who set a fire to the discussion after Friday’s game when he and some teammates took exception to a deep throw by Troy Smith to S.J. Green in the end zone.

The game may or may not have been in doubt at that point. There’s also London’s aforementioned assertion to consider as to the Lions state of mind at the time of the throw. For that matter, it’s also perhaps worth remembering that the Lions have pounded the Alouettes in lopsided fashion recently during their visits to Vancouver, and as Phillips said after the game, players will hang onto beefs for years.

Als play-caller Ryan Dinwiddie said Smith wasn’t trying to embarrass B.C. with the Green attempt. Again, more from the Gazette:

“Smith scrambled and ended up taking the shot. There wasn’t anything there. It wasn’t called to throw down the field. If they want to call us out, we’ll focus on that in a week… I think they’re using it as a rallying cry to get the troops ready.” On that point, the new Als assistant coach may have registered a bull’s-eye, as when he talked about the beatdown that had just occurred, Phillips spoke calmly and was neither frustrated nor agitated.

The last word goes to Als coach Tom Higgins.

“I respect everyone’s opinion but don’t put a lot of stock in them,” he said. “I don’t believe anyone runs the score up in the CFL… Some would think we didn’t do enough to try and score points in the second half. It’s absolutely irrelevant. When someone’s quoted, within the next day the paper used to wrap fish or on the bottom of the bird-cage.” So glad to once again understand the contribution to cleanliness being made by our industry. Just how do you get a webpage in a bird-cage these days anyway?

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/07/07 ... ederated=1
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
LU wrote:The game may or may not have been in doubt at that point. There’s also London’s aforementioned assertion to consider as to the Lions state of mind at the time of the throw. For that matter, it’s also perhaps worth remembering that the Lions have pounded the Alouettes in lopsided fashion recently during their visits to Vancouver, and as Phillips said after the game, players will hang onto beefs for years.
Yup. Were we running up the score on Montreal when we beat them 36-14 in their visit last year? 43-10 the year before that? 43-1 in their first post-reno visit here in Nov 2011?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

All of this is such a load of crap...and I get that Phillips is looking for something to spark his team mates, but London said it best, the Lions "gave up in the 2nd half" and who are you going to blame that on??? I hope that the Riders lay a huge beating on the Lions this week so that Wally will have NO CHOICE but to intervene in this mess...I mean 2 games in, and players are inventing phantom ghosts and spectres...incredible really...

Blitz said this a few days ago, but we are fortunate the Travis Lulay isn't playing right now...the Lions can take these first 6 games as an extended pre season, figure out their coaching and personnel problems and then try and use the last dozen to make the playoffs...because as you all know, it doesn't matter whether you host the WF or not, just as long as you make the playoffs and are hot. But the Lions are going to be hard pressed to make the playoffs this season as who is going to give it up in the West??? CGY or SSK? Not likely...EE with Chris Jones at 2-0? Not likely...O'Shea and WPG at 2-0? Possibly, but WPG is always so good at home that it will be hard to gain on them...crossover? Its possible, but WPG will be fighting for that spot as well...

Right now the best thing that can happen to this mess in BC is an 0-3 to 0-5 start...this will force wholesale changes on Wally, in fact, I think a best case scenario for the first half of the season would be 3-6, meaning the Lions would have to go 6-3 that back half just to get to .500...and does .500 get you a playoff spot anymore???
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

MexicoLionFan wrote:All of this is such a load of crap...and I get that Phillips is looking for something to spark his team mates, but London said it best, the Lions "gave up in the 2nd half" and who are you going to blame that on??? I hope that the Riders lay a huge beating on the Lions this week so that Wally will have NO CHOICE but to intervene in this mess...I mean 2 games in, and players are inventing phantom ghosts and spectres...incredible really...

Blitz said this a few days ago, but we are fortunate the Travis Lulay isn't playing right now...the Lions can take these first 6 games as an extended pre season, figure out their coaching and personnel problems and then try and use the last dozen to make the playoffs...because as you all know, it doesn't matter whether you host the WF or not, just as long as you make the playoffs and are hot. But the Lions are going to be hard pressed to make the playoffs this season as who is going to give it up in the West??? CGY or SSK? Not likely...EE with Chris Jones at 2-0? Not likely...O'Shea and WPG at 2-0? Possibly, but WPG is always so good at home that it will be hard to gain on them...crossover? Its possible, but WPG will be fighting for that spot as well...

Right now the best thing that can happen to this mess in BC is an 0-3 to 0-5 start...this will force wholesale changes on Wally, in fact, I think a best case scenario for the first half of the season would be 3-6, meaning the Lions would have to go 6-3 that back half just to get to .500...and does .500 get you a playoff spot anymore???

The problem with wishing for wholesale changes is that at this point in the season there is a limit to what replacement players or coaches are available. Most during the season coaching changes are not successful and quality Internationals will not be available for airlifting until NFL cuts occur in early September. Not many recent cuts by other CFL teams offer much of an upgrade.

The time to make wholesale changes is during the off season and the Lions did just that with a number of vets retiring or being cut or traded. With new OC, DC, and new young players it will likely take until after Labour Day or later for the Lions to hit mid season form. Until then we will either need to be patient or light our hair on fire. :popcorn:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:The time to make wholesale changes is during the off season and the Lions did just that with a number of vets retiring or being cut or traded. With new OC, DC, and new young players it will likely take until after Labour Day or later for the Lions to hit mid season form. Until then we will either need to be patient or light our hair on fire. :popcorn:
:whs:
The coaches should have had the Lions better prepared for Edmonton and Montreal and should not have waited until halftime to make adjustments when they saw what was happening, but we have two new coordinators who are learning on the job. Many of us conceded earlier that with all the offseason changes, particularly to the coaching staff, offensive line and secondary, this team will take some time to gel. The talent is there. Experience is lacking. It's been said many times about the long CFL season but bears repeating: It's not how you start; it's how you finish.