Als disrespect the Lions ?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote: Right now the best thing that can happen to this mess in BC is an 0-3 to 0-5 start...this will force wholesale changes on Wally, in fact, I think a best case scenario for the first half of the season would be 3-6, meaning the Lions would have to go 6-3 that back half just to get to .500...and does .500 get you a playoff spot anymore???
Should I be writing to my good friend Dennis Skulsky again ? :wink:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote: Right now the best thing that can happen to this mess in BC is an 0-3 to 0-5 start...this will force wholesale changes on Wally, in fact, I think a best case scenario for the first half of the season would be 3-6, meaning the Lions would have to go 6-3 that back half just to get to .500...and does .500 get you a playoff spot anymore???
Should I be writing to my good friend Dennis Skulsky again ? :wink:
Your good friend Dennis will be getting his wish come true - the ability to close off the upper deck entirely and raise lower bowl ticket prices.

Ask him about that.

The Lions could be like the debacle of Brazil vs Germany where the goals came so fast and furious that it was over at 20 minutes or so. Kevin Glenn will be better but he can't do it alone.

The Als sure sound fired up over this running up the score issue.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
chewiesrevenge
Rookie

TheLionKing wrote:MONTREAL —

Ryan Phillips thought about for it awhile and agreed if the tables were turned, his team might have done the same thing, but the veteran Lions defensive back ultimately concluded the Als were guilty of trying to run up the score in the rout.

“You’re already up by two full scores, and you’re still throwing deep balls? You have no choice but to take it as disrespect. They were trying to embarrass us,” Phillips said. “I can’t blame them. But in a couple of weeks, I don’t care if we’re up by 40 points, let’s go for the embarrassment. If you’re going to be throwing deep balls with your starting quarterback late in the game, we might as well keep blitzing and go ahead and knock his head off.”

Phillips said the Als were the better team but appeared to be in search of a spark after a game in which his teammates showed little or none. Not everyone agreed with his assessment either.

“This ain’t Pop Warner; step on (our) neck because we’re going to (try) and do it to them. I don’t care about sportsmanlike conduct type of bleep,” Dante Marsh said. “You got a dog, you better kick him when he’s down. If you need another grown man to motivate a grown man, this is not the profession for you. This is not for the weak or the timid.”

Marsh, however, was taking notes.
Here we see a juxtaposition of two players: Marsh and Phillips. Marsh is running against father time (but still working out like a beast) and plays the game with aggression and a seemingly chip on the shoulder. Smash mouth player. Phillips in comparison is pretty tame/soft. Watch him play and there's tonnes of missed/broken tackles, and just plain 'soft' errors. There's a reason why he had so many interceptions all those years ago, and never misses a game. Tough to watch a guy who looks so reluctant to make contact with any one. :/

And now he makes these whining comments... !!!? I am really surprised. I would have already cut him years ago, but now this. Yuck.

What Marsh said was on point. And shows some well placed swagger and bravado. It's a dog-eat-dog league. They are all paid professionals. And are there to score (or prevent it). I am NOT in favour of running up scores... but it is plain DISRESPECTFUL (IMO) to just stop playing. Or blatantly try to stop from scoring if you have the chance. Yes... you can do things to maybe do it tactfully (run the ball, kick 3's, take out the starters....) but still... the GAME needs to be played. And the score was (IMO) not exactly embarrassingly out of hand. And even still... even IF you are getting your arse handed to you, as a professional, you ought to play the game hard until the end.

To have a Vet guy come out like this and complain... about a long pass(?) on a score like that :/

Maybe he should work on his tackling. Reminds me of when Shaq used to complain that he made all his freethrows in practice but then recorded rap albums or made movies in his summer while his freethrow % was atrocious.
David
Team Captain

Ryan Phillips is not as soft as some make him out to be. Right now for example, he has 7 tackles (one behind Dante Marsh) and tied with Johnson, Taylor, Parks, and Yell. While it's not the strength of his game, his tackling has improved over time. However, Ryan Phillips has exceptional cover skills, something for which he is seldom recognized on this site.

I think these comments from a frustrated player immediately after a one-sided game have been blown way out of proportion.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Agree with David that Phillips is not as bad as some has make him out to be. Sure it's frustrating to see him get bowled over from time to time but who hasn't ? If he was that bad Wally would have cast him adrift along time ago.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:Ryan Phillips is not as soft as some make him out to be. Right now for example, he has 7 tackles (one behind Dante Marsh) and tied with Johnson, Taylor, Parks, and Yell. While it's not the strength of his game, his tackling has improved over time. However, Ryan Phillips has exceptional cover skills, something for which he is seldom recognized on this site.

I think these comments from a frustrated player immediately after a one-sided game have been blown way out of proportion.

DH :cool:
Phillip's may have some tackling stats, but he isn't knocking down the opposition, he is dragging down a ball carrier vs putting his helmet into the numbers. Phillips has a place in this team, but if he would put his nose in on a tackle once in awhile a receiver may think twice about his catch, right now there should be little fear when you are going up against Phillips, making the concentration on catching the ball that much easier.
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Phillip's may have some tackling stats, but he isn't knocking down the opposition, he is dragging down a ball carrier vs putting his helmet into the numbers.
well, at least he is not likely to get leading or contact with helmet penalty.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Phillip's may have some tackling stats, but he isn't knocking down the opposition, he is dragging down a ball carrier vs putting his helmet into the numbers.
well, at least he is not likely to get leading or contact with helmet penalty.
No he isn't going to get a penalty like that, but can I penalize him for not contacting enough?
Entertainment value = an all time low