Banks on the block?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

smphantom
Legend

Looks like Winnipeg considering trading Korey Banks?!

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/06/27/w ... orey-banks?
Stay thirsty my friends.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Last year the Lions played Banks at LB/nickel as have the Bombers but imo he should be playing DB or free safety.

I'm glad to hear that he got a $50k signing bonus and contract extension from the Bombers. His relatively high salary will make him hard to trade, as younger cheaper players with a greater upside are more in demand.

Bombers said that they acquired Banks for "leadership". Apparently they now think either leadership is overrated or Banks is overrated or both.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Johnny Sears had a great game against the Argos. It's too early to evaluate the Banks/Poblah trade but Wally's timing is looking pretty good, especially if the Bombers end up eating Banks' signing bonus.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I loved watching Banks play for the BC defence but now its starting to sound like Buono's instincts were right again. Guess we'll see. I was hoping Banks would have a strong season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Looks like Buono made the right call to part ways with Banks
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Count me as a big time Korey Banks fan. The heart of a Lion. Fearless.

But I think Wally will not make a move to reacquire him. Don't know what changed things.

And he might have been asked to play out of position at nickel, to his personal detriment. We could not find the right guy there. And Korey is so versatile.

Dunno if the coaches thoughtc he might have slipped a bit. But we asked everything of him, possibly more than he could deliver. If possible it might have been better to keep him at DB.

One of my all time faves. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
prj
Starter

Picture a cold windy day on the Prairies ... field partly frozen ... a tight game with significance for the standings. Assume an opposing QB is working the clock and the field effectively (we know this plot!) ... and in the 4thQ they have the wind.

Who here wouldn't love to see Korey Banks at Safety ... in Orange.
Rammer
Team Captain

prj wrote:Picture a cold windy day on the Prairies ... field partly frozen ... a tight game with significance for the standings. Assume an opposing QB is working the clock and the field effectively (we know this plot!) ... and in the 4thQ they have the wind.

Who here wouldn't love to see Korey Banks at Safety ... in Orange.
I thought about thatas well, but will wait until I see how Williams proves himself. Even at that, LaRose is listed as the starter, so does he get replaced and the Lions have to find another N starter?
Entertainment value = an all time low
rb
Champion

Wpg has released Banks. I think this might be the end of the line. He had an excellent career.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sad to see it end this way.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Korey Banks will not get the chance to play with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, as the club released the linebacker on Sunday.

The Bombers gauged trade interest in the 34-year-old prior to Thursday's season opener but couldn't find a deal that worked.

Banks was acquired from the British Columbia Lions for Canadian receiver Kito Poblah during the off-season.

Banks didn't play in Winnipeg's season-opening victory over the Toronto Argonauts on Thursday.

Banks is entering his 11th season in the CFL and tallied 46 tackles, one sack, two interceptions and recovered two fumbles with the Lions in 2013.

The Mississippi State product has 442 tackles, 22 sacks, 37 interceptions, 14 fumbles recoveries and seven defensive touchdowns over his career with the Lions and the Ottawa Renegades.

Banks is a four-time CFL All-Star and won a Grey Cup with the Lions in 2006 and 2011.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=456012
Rammer
Team Captain

A real CFL character, with tons of topend play over his career. I hope that he can find another team to catch on with, he should be able to provide leadership to help groom some younger players.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

prj wrote:Who here wouldn't love to see Korey Banks at Safety ... in Orange.
Count me as one who wouldn't. All due respect to KB but it's better to invest the time and effort into developing a younger player in that role as opposed to trying to plug in an aging veteran to fill the gap for a season. Not that Banks couldn't adapt but safety would be a new position. As for all of his positions of familiarity the Lions have filled them very nicely. Parks is in his old DB spot on Marsh's side. Josh Johnson was all over the field making plays at nickel last night.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Bob Irving ‏@BobIrvingCJOB 1h

Mike O'Shea says korey banks has asked for his release but hasn't been granted it yet. Decision will be made later

Arash Madani ‏@ArashMadani 1h

A key reason the #Bombers may be apprehensive to grant Korey Banks his release: Winnipeg paid him around $60,000 up front to sign. #CFL
Lloyd
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Hambone wrote:
prj wrote:Who here wouldn't love to see Korey Banks at Safety ... in Orange.
Count me as one who wouldn't. All due respect to KB but it's better to invest the time and effort into developing a younger player in that role as opposed to trying to plug in an aging veteran to fill the gap for a season. Not that Banks couldn't adapt but safety would be a new position. As for all of his positions of familiarity the Lions have filled them very nicely. Parks is in his old DB spot on Marsh's side. Josh Johnson was all over the field making plays at nickel last night.
Yep...as everyone knows I love Korey Banks but unless he's coming back to play Safety, then I wouldn't bring him back...as we have good young people here that we need to grow...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein