Eskimos @ Lions, June 28, 2014 Preview & Depth Chart

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:Big blow for the Esks:
Dave Campbell wrote:
For the 3rd straight day LB J.C. Sherritt isn't practicing. Looks like he's out for Saturday vs. B.C. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg
I'll believe it when I see it Saturday, but the fact Sherritt isn't practicing doesn't look good for him playing (or performing at his highest level).

DH :cool:
He wasn't the same impact player last season as the previous season. Esks have too many more areas that they have to play above their expectations to win this game on the road in BC.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Big blow for the Esks:
Dave Campbell wrote:
For the 3rd straight day LB J.C. Sherritt isn't practicing. Looks like he's out for Saturday vs. B.C. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg
I'll believe it when I see it Saturday, but the fact Sherritt isn't practicing doesn't look good for him playing (or performing at his highest level).

I think the Lions would rather face Sherritt and isolate him one-on-one with Harris or Loganin the flat. Sherritt missed seven games to injury last year and has lost his MLB spot to Rennie Curran, who is bigger but doesn't seem to be any faster. With a weak linebacking corps no Ted Laurent in the middle of the line, the Esks will be in tough to stop the run and the short passing game.
David
Team Captain

True B.C.FAN, I would currently view Rennie Curran as a potentially bigger loss than Sherritt (were he to miss practice due to injury). Coverage in the flat is a weaker part of Sherritt's game, but he is still a tackling machine and a stud linebacker IMO.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Wow. What a crap article. I can't believe that blatant "we could be 4 and 0" homerism comes from the Edmonton Sun and not some fan writing puff piece blogs for the club to justify his media accreditation.

Kind of reminds me of an old joke:

Q: Who are the best Cheerleaders in the CFL?

A: The Edmonton media

Bryan "Hallsy" Hall.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Yeah, I don't mind playing against Sherritt at all...while he's a great tackler, the vast % of his tackles occur 10 yards downfield...I fear playmakers, not solid tacklers. Sacks and Tackles for a Loss win championships...which is why the re signing of Mitchell was so key to our defence.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I thought Munoz (sp?) was Esks best LB last year. What happened to him? Was he lost to the NFL or FA?

While Sherrit is a good LB, it is like MLF says, too many tackles from the chase position 10+ yards downfield, so he is a bit overrated.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I thought Munoz (sp?) was Esks best LB last year. What happened to him? Was he lost to the NFL or FA?
Signed with Tampa Bay
ubbullrun
prospect

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2014/6/25/5835 ... openthread
Jackson was perhaps on the bubble late in the preseason but the former UB receiver and kick returner managed to have a very solid second half against Calgary and the ever humble Jackson rode that half of football into a wideout position for the Lions.

The CFL does not release their depth charts until the day of the game but expect to see Jackson as a backup receiver or slotback. While the coahcing staff has been high on his work ethic Jackson was moved from a starting wide out to a backup slot back after the teams first preseason game.

Last season the Lions swept Edmonton as the Eskimos on their way to B.C.'s 17th straight post season appearance. Currently the franchise is tied for the third longest playoff streak in CFL history. Edmonton owns that record with an astounding 34 straight years but have struggled since that streak ended in 2005 appearing in just three playoffs and securing only two winning seasons.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions' depth chart is up. Williams and Taylor again start in the slots, with Jackson and Haidara as wideouts. Gore returns to the starting lineup. Ramsey and Player are the starters on the left side of the O-line.

On defence, Parks starts at boundary halfback and LaRose at safety. Ronnie Yell, Josh Johnson and Alex Bazzie get their first CFL regular-season starts. T.J. Lee and Torri Williams are listed as backups but one of them will likely have to sit out.

I don't see Tim Brown on the 46-man depth chart. I don't see his name on the list of transactions at cfl.ca, but I see that the Lions added Antolin from the practice roster and transferred him to the one-game injured list. Someone must have tried to claim him. Aumaitre has been transferred to the practice roster.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions' depth chart is up. Williams and Taylor again start in the slots, with Jackson and Haidara as wideouts. Gore returns to the starting lineup. Ramsey and Player are the starters on the left side of the O-line.

On defence, Parks starts at boundary halfback and LaRose at safety. Ronnie Yell, Josh Johnson and Alex Bazzie get their first CFL regular-season starts. T.J. Lee and Trri Williams are listed as backups but one of them will likely have to sit out.

I don't see Tim Brown on the 46-man depth chart. I don't see his name on the list of transactions at cfl.ca, but I see that the Lions added Antonil from the practice roster and transferred him to the one-game injured list. Someone must have tried to claim him. Aumaitre has been transferred to the practice roster.
Thanks for the heads up, BCF. I will try to post a pic of the DC. Nah, too much of a hassle this year with DC pix. Too big to post. And when you reduce the size, they are almost impossible to read.

Ahaaa ... So ... Someone tried to claim little Antolin? No. No No. He is ours. LOL

And the Tim Brown tease from practice: "Only for one game, Tim" ???

Interesting that we have both Lochard and Antwi on the 46. Not sure why. Antwi must be making a good impression. And so must Lochard.

Very happy for T-Dre. Ramsey back ahead of Aumaitre. Must be health related juggling for Ramsey.

Menard to play. :thup:

Good for Casey Chin.

McGarva. Looking forward to seeing him play this year.

Poblah? Dunno ... Still got that PO tential thing.

Just 7 receivers. Tongues could be hanging out. Except ... Glenn likes the short passing game. :wink:

Fabien at backup. Good. Must be near ready. Is it possible he might not start when healthy? Is Dean Valli ready for a breakout season? Or just breaking the LOS on offsides? LOL Go, Dean. :thup:

Thorn at backup. :thup:

Ready for action.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions' depth chart is up. Williams and Taylor again start in the slots, with Jackson and Haidara as wideouts. Gore returns to the starting lineup. Ramsey and Player are the starters on the left side of the O-line.

On defence, Parks starts at boundary halfback and LaRose at safety. Ronnie Yell, Josh Johnson and Alex Bazzie get their first CFL regular-season starts. T.J. Lee and Trri Williams are listed as backups but one of them will likely have to sit out.

I don't see Tim Brown on the 46-man depth chart. I don't see his name on the list of transactions at cfl.ca, but I see that the Lions added Antonil from the practice roster and transferred him to the one-game injured list. Someone must have tried to claim him. Aumaitre has been transferred to the practice roster.
I would be surprised if Wally would prevent a team from taking Antolin and then place him on the IL (unless there is something there), more likely to put him in the lineup and give him a chance to show his stuff. Putting him on the IL (if he isn't injured) kind of deprives the guy from making a living in the sport, at the expense of having him question why he isn't getting playing time, while being wanted by another team to play. Of course the discussion could have concluded that he would be on next weeks game roster, that the Lions need a week to work things out after seeing the team play the opener.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
While Sherrit is a good LB, it is like MLF says, too many tackles from the chase position 10+ yards downfield, so he is a bit overrated.
Schmoes confirmed that Sherritt is definitely out for tomorrow.

EDIT: Also, coming over from Island for game at 3 and Queen concert (gotta be fair to my squeeze!) at 8. Is there anyplace that Lionbackers gather in the area for a post game nosh & quaff? Any recommendations for somewhere to go between events?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Interesting that we have both Lochard and Antwi on the 46. Not sure why. Antwi must be making a good impression. And so must Lochard.
Backups are special-teamers first, position players second. Linebackers and fullbacks are usually strong special teamers. Antwi impressed me with his special-teams work when he was in Calgary. He led the Stamps in special-teams tackles in 2011. He had two special-tems tackles in the first preseason game against Edmonton. He was moved from linebacker to fullback because the Lions have an abundance of linebackers on the roster, but I don't expect him to take regular reps as a fullback. Nor do I expect Casey Chin or Jason Arakgi to take regular reps as linebackers. Arakgi is a leader on special teams. Chin impressed in Kamloops and in the preseason game against Calgary with two special-teams tackles. The Lions' special-teams units should be improved this year as a result of the improved depth on the roster.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have updated their transactions. Brown and Antolin are both on the one-game injured list. It looks like Logan and Williams will be the returners.
2014-06-27

Add to 46-man roster: OT Andre Ramsey (I), LB Akwasi Antwi (N), OG Cam Thorn (N)

Place on 1-game injured list: RB Keola Antolin (I), RB Tim Brown (I)

Release: OL Nyere Aumaitre (I)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:I will try to post a pic of the DC. Nah, too much of a hassle this year with DC pix.
Not my usual gig but just this once...

Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.