Eskimos @ Lions, June 28, 2014 Preview & Depth Chart

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Schmos come to town.

I expect they will be improved over the dysfunctional unit led by Kavis Reed. Chris Jones looks like Mr. Intensity, ready to chew up any reporter who asks a dumb question. Ed Hervey seems to make decisions with his ego. He wanted a coach more like himself, et cetera.

But they have Mike Reilly and some good players. Jones will have them playing hard.

No gimmes in this league. Maybe not even Ottawa.

I would expect us to win. I would expect us to have a productive offence, both passing and running. I would expect us to have a fast, moblie aggressive defence.

Prediction? None. Hoping for a good game, and a win.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/06/25/t ... 014-season
The Eskimos could match their win total of 2013 in the first two months of the 2014 season

By Gerry Moddejonge,Edmonton Sun

First posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 05:36 PM MDT | Updated: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 07:25 PM MDT

EDMONTON - Don’t look now, but the Edmonton Eskimos have a chance to earn as many wins in the opening month of the 2014 CFL season as they did all of last year.

The same franchise that is coming off a 4-14 record — their worst in a span of 49 years — is opening this one with what is arguably the league’s softest schedule out of the gates.

With games against the B.C. Lions, Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the expansion Ottawa Redblacks, it’s not that far a stretch to think Edmonton has a legitimate opportunity to get off to a 4-0 start.

They could easily expect to be 3-1.

And they sure as sin better be at least 2-2.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be difficult, but it’s definitely doable.

The last time the Eskimos had an unbeaten start to the season was in 2011, where first-time CFL head coach Kavis Reed saw them go 5-0 on the way to their first home playoff game since 2004 and an appearance in the West Division final.

This year, it’s Chris Jones who is head coaching a CFL team for the first time. And there’s just something about a new coach that can inspire a team to play above expectations.

For a while, at least.

Say, four games, maybe?

Let’s take a look at the first one. (And, yes, you can look now.)

Their season-opener against the B.C. Lions is on the road, so the best you can usually hope for is 50-50. But that number could improve significantly given the fact that the Lions leadership group has been absolutely gutted this year.

On top of having starting quarterback Travis Lulay still recovering from off-season shoulder surgery on his throwing arm, B.C. has lost Korey Banks, Anton McKenzie and Paris Jackson since their last game in 2013, to name a few. Angus Reid, Buck Pierce and perennial fan favourite Patrick Kabongo would be on the short list.

And that’s not even counting the loss of Geroy Simon from a season earlier that they still haven’t recovered from.

The Eskimos will then play their home-opener against a Hamilton Tiger-Cats squad that begins 2014 with just five days of rest between their first two games. And both of those are on the road.

You’d be hard-pressed to find a team with a more challenging start to the season than Hamilton coming up against the defending Grey Cup champions and then having to come back out west to Commonwealth Stadium only five days later.

Week 3 sees the Eskimos host their inaugural game against the expansion Ottawa Redblacks before taking to the road the following week to take on the only team coming off a worse season than theirs, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

It wouldn’t be unreasonable for the Eskimos to expect to sweep both those weeks against opponents almost universally considered to be the worst teams in the league this year.

Of course, the Eskimos start getting into more of the meat of their schedule from then on, beginning with the Calgary Stampeders the following week on July 24.

So, what if the Eskimos win their first four games? Or four of their first five, even?

It’s possible.

They can quite literally equal last year’s win total before August.
Hmmmm ... The Edmonton Sun is dreaming of better days.

Has Hervey got the local media Eskimoed? You want access to the players? You want access to ME?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

I like how the Lions looked in all three phases. I hope what I saw and liked in the preseason games carry over into the games with the live bullets.

I know offence sells tickets and it a big REASON why many come to games. Me? I love a dominating defence. I hope that is what we have here. I guess we'll see.... :popcorn:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

And that’s not even counting the loss of Geroy Simon from a season earlier that they still haven’t recovered from.
I beg to differ
David
Team Captain

Wow. What a crap article. I can't believe that blatant "we could be 4 and 0" homerism comes from the Edmonton Sun and not some fan writing puff piece blogs for the club to justify his media accreditation.

Kind of reminds me of an old joke:

Q: Who are the best Cheerleaders in the CFL?

A: The Edmonton media

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Edmonton fans can dream. They will get a dose of reality Saturday afternoon.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Maybe the Eskimos media are worried about how tough their job will be if they get the Head Coach upset. Does Jones have a good reputation with the media?

I'm not saying you have to like everybody and not step on toes (if they need to be stepped on!). Some head coaches would probably respect you less if you wrote a pablum based article on how purrfect things were going to be.......

I'm guessing with Chris Jones its not going to matter. He'll hate you regardless. All that probably matters are the guys in that lockerroom.

I'm just hoping Jones has to figure out how to rebound from an opening week loss..... :cr:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Chris Jones was interviewed by the Moj on Team1040 Wednesday night and he was gracious and full of praise for the Lions as a well-coach, disciplined team that knows their systems inside out. (I wonder if he's referring to the systems of the old Lion coordinators or the new ones.) When asked about the release of Hugh Charles, he stressed that one of their key goals this year is to do a good job of protecting the quarterback. And, like most coaches, he said that to win the Esks have to protect the ball. I'm not a Chris Jones fan but I was impressed with the interview. He's bound to be an improvement on Kavis Reed.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Is Chris Jones the John Tortorella of the CFL ?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:Is Chris Jones the John Tortorella of the CFL ?
Are the Esks the Canucks of the CFL?... No, wait they couldn't be as the Esks have actually won something in the past. :shock:
Rammer
Team Captain

4 - 0, I will take the bet on that happening for the Esks. One certainly can't take this article seriously, nobody knows how any team is going to play in 2014 at this stage of the game. The Esks will most likely be better to start the season, as a new scheme will catch some D's before game tapes tell tendencies, plus once they get any (N)'s knicked, they don't have the depth to keep up with the better teams with (N) depth.

Well at least the Esks expectations are high. Like going to a movie that everybody has viewed and reviewed it as the best movie of the year, they tell you and when you go to view it, it rarely holds to that lofty expectation that you have in mind. The Esks just got the movie critic review that they wanted. The review will be under real critic Saturday, good luck to matching expectations.
Entertainment value = an all time low
EmDiggy
Rookie

http://footballgameplan.com/fbgps-2014- ... -vs-lions/

Good afternoon Lions fans! Good luck this week

Em
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SCHULTZ VS THE WORLD: WEEK 1 PREDICTIONS IN THE CFL

Edmonton at B.C.

I think Edmonton may be a better team now then as the team back in October. Chris Jones ran a tough training camp and as a first year head coach it always is. To obtain early positive results, it should be. By the time Saturday turns into Sunday, we will get a much clearer picture of Eskimo football. Now, in BC Kevin Glen will be fine and even though they are young upfront, he should stay upright though the game. I really think the strength of BC will be the front seven on defense. Eric Taylor at one defensive tackle is underrated and Khalif Mitchell at the other with be effective. I think BC can make Edmonton one dimensional and create enough second and longs to win. Mike Reilly will be protected this year through design and personnel, but in a home opener, I like BC to win in the 4th.

Lions over Eskimos.

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks for doing this Joe...I sure hope that Blitz will be doing his season long pre game analysis for us as well...this stuff is BETTER than through the papers.

As for the game, the key is the same ALWAYS...who controls the LOS...if the Lions OLine can handle the Esks Ted Laurent-less DLine, our offence will put up a lot of points against that D...and if our DLine can control the LOS, our LBs will reek havoc on Reilly and the Esks offence. I think the Esks will get their share of plays, but an improved Lions DLine will seal the victory...plus, finally, our S Ts should be an advantage to us...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

Big blow for the Esks:
Dave Campbell wrote:
For the 3rd straight day LB J.C. Sherritt isn't practicing. Looks like he's out for Saturday vs. B.C. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg
I'll believe it when I see it Saturday, but the fact Sherritt isn't practicing doesn't look good for him playing (or performing at his highest level).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar