Is Travis Lulay done? - moved to the 6 game IL on 6/27/14

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Toppy, from our perspective (and looking at the big picture) it was...but with how bad our Offence was struggling, and with how many games we lost and the pressure on the Lions, we NEEDED that win more than anything else at the time...so there was no stopping Lulay from what he did, and I know I would have done the same thing.

IMO, that play was all on our previous OC...if he simply adjusted to the CONSTANT blitzing EVERY team gave us, we wouldn't have been in that position and Lulay wouldn't have been as frustrated, angry and desperate as he was in that moment...that's why I said above, the best thing for the Lions and Lulay was the removal of a negligent OC.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
almo89
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:Toppy, from our perspective (and looking at the big picture) it was...but with how bad our Offence was struggling, and with how many games we lost and the pressure on the Lions, we NEEDED that win more than anything else at the time...so there was no stopping Lulay from what he did, and I know I would have done the same thing.

IMO, that play was all on our previous OC...if he simply adjusted to the CONSTANT blitzing EVERY team gave us, we wouldn't have been in that position and Lulay wouldn't have been as frustrated, angry and desperate as he was in that moment...that's why I said above, the best thing for the Lions and Lulay was the removal of a negligent OC.
I agree. It's not just Lulay. Just look at all of our QB's under Chap. Dickenson, Printers, Pierce and now Lulay all have had pretty big injuries. Even Jarious who was easily the most solidly built QB was dinged up from the number of hits he had to take. Lulay and Dickenson do have the tendancy to hang out on to the ball longer than usual, but we haven't had great protection for our QBs in a long time. Maybe since we had both Rob Murphy and Jason Jiminez in their prime.
South Pender
Legend

Boy is Wally's acquisition of Glenn looking like pure genius now. It's beginning to look as if Lulay may play very little this season, and imagine where we'd be depending on Beck and Partridge to run the offense. In my opinion, the Lions are every bit as good offensively with Glenn under center as they would be with Lulay. Different styles, but both effective. It will be more important than ever to keep Glenn healthy.
almo89
Legend

South Pender wrote:Boy is Wally's acquisition of Glenn looking like pure genius now. It's beginning to look as if Lulay may play very little this season, and imagine where we'd be depending on Beck and Partridge to run the offense. In my opinion, the Lions are every bit as good offensively with Glenn under center as they would be with Lulay. Different styles, but both effective. It will be more important than ever to keep Glenn healthy.
Wally really duped Ottawa by not revealing the severity of Lulay's injury. I remember at the time many Lionbackers weren't sure if it was a great idea to trade our 1st round pick especially when we needed to draft a stud offensive lineman. Now that trade is looking really good. Wally seems to have done it again.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

almo89 wrote:
South Pender wrote:Boy is Wally's acquisition of Glenn looking like pure genius now. It's beginning to look as if Lulay may play very little this season, and imagine where we'd be depending on Beck and Partridge to run the offense. In my opinion, the Lions are every bit as good offensively with Glenn under center as they would be with Lulay. Different styles, but both effective. It will be more important than ever to keep Glenn healthy.
Wally really duped Ottawa by not revealing the severity of Lulay's injury. I remember at the time many Lionbackers weren't sure if it was a great idea to trade our 1st round pick especially when we needed to draft a stud offensive lineman. Now that trade is looking really good. Wally seems to have done it again.
You're right, many of us were ticked that Wally traded away a very valuable first round pick for an aged backup...but that was based on consistent Lion's reports saying that Lulay was fine and on schedule to open the season...well played Wally, and to get T-Dre in the 2nd, a first round talent, was the icing on the cake.

And SP is exactly right, there will be NO DROP OFF at QB with Glenn...maybe even improvement as Lulay was consistently dinged up. 2 different QBs but both effective...as I say, I hope the Lions let that shoulder socket heal properly this year.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
JohnHenry
Champion

With the increase in the salary cap, there is probably less pressure to 6-game Travis...which would disallow him from practicing with the team until August.
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:With the increase in the salary cap, there is probably less pressure to 6-game Travis...which would disallow him from practicing with the team until August.
yes and no. If you 6 game Lulay, you get a ton of money for signing bonuses, providing you don't have to use it up elsewhere. Either way it allows you the luxury to stay on the right end of the SMS for Wally to work with.

But if he isn't going to play in the first six games, don't you think that two weeks of practice is enough as his mindset is already tuned to the Lions game plan.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

With the new rules prohibiting players on the six-game from practising with the team for the first four weeks, can the Lions retroactively place Lulay on the list if he has been practising? There are so many questions that haven't been answered because the CBA hasn't been made public.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:With the new rules prohibiting players on the six-game from practising with the team for the first four weeks, can the Lions retroactively place Lulay on the list if he has been practising? There are so many questions that haven't been answered because the CBA hasn't been made public.
Interesting point, in theory they shouldn't be able to alright. It may depend upon the level of participation for a QB though.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote: IMO, that play was all on our previous OC...if he simply adjusted to the CONSTANT blitzing EVERY team gave us, we wouldn't have been in that position and Lulay wouldn't have been as frustrated, angry and desperate as he was in that moment...that's why I said above, the best thing for the Lions and Lulay was the removal of a negligent OC.
The inability or lack of will to adjust to the constant blitz was probably the most frustrating part for me couple of seasons. That and the lack of a running game.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote: You're right, many of us were ticked that Wally traded away a very valuable first round pick for an aged backup...but that was based on consistent Lion's reports saying that Lulay was fine and on schedule to open the season...well played Wally, and to get T-Dre in the 2nd, a first round talent, was the icing on the cake.

And SP is exactly right, there will be NO DROP OFF at QB with Glenn...maybe even improvement as Lulay was consistently dinged up. 2 different QBs but both effective...as I say, I hope the Lions let that shoulder socket heal properly this year.
I learned a long time ago don't assume what media and Lions' reports say as the gospel truth. Take it with a grain of salt.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:With the new rules prohibiting players on the six-game from practising with the team for the first four weeks, can the Lions retroactively place Lulay on the list if he has been practising? There are so many questions that haven't been answered because the CBA hasn't been made public.
IIRC, there's no such thing as "retroactively" placing a player on the 6 game (formerly 9 list).......you have until 48 hrs prior to game time to declare your 46 man roster......and I assume that also means players not on the 46 man list must be placed on a list of some sort or released. I don't recall any team taking a player who had spent a month on the 1 game IR and then saying were moving him to the 9 game retroactive to the first date he went on the 1 game IR.......I don't think it works that way.
Lloyd
Blitz
Team Captain

Right now, as long as Kevin Glenn stays healthy, I'm not all that concerned about Travis Lulay.

I really believe our offence will be improved this season for the following reasons in this order:

1. RUSHING ATTACK . Our running game (which was first in the CFL in 2012 and 3rd last season) will be better than 2013 because of the addition of Stephan Logan. We won't likely go through the long stretch of not being able to run the football like we did in mid-season last year. Our running attack was very, very impressive in the last 3 games of 2013, using both Logan and Harris and a new blocking scheme, averaging a mind boggling 200 yds. plus a game in those last 3 games. While that will be impossible to continue over an entire season it showed how effective we could be this season.

2. KEVIN GLENN. With two new players on the left side of our offensive line, with Norman only in his second season and with Valli at right guard and with a group of fairly inexperienced receivers, we need a quarterback at this point in time who can read quickly, have a quick release, and throw accurately and Glenn does all those things very well. I have usually preferred very mobile quarterbacks who are double threats to run and pass. But right now the game, with all the blitzing (all you had to do was look at how Etcheverry blitzed the hell out of Ricky Ray last night) a quick release, accurate throwing quarterback is the best way to address the blitz. Glenn also does not have to get into a passing rythym to be effective. He was used to Cornish doing a lot of running on first down and throwing on second down only quite often and therefore, he is used to a run favored style of offence.

3. SCHEME. Chap's offence was considered predictable and boring by some but it was in fact a very sophisticated offence...and that made it difficult (and sometimes confusing) for players, especially players with a lack of experience. It had tons of reads, motion, terminology , and complexity. Khari Jones has simplified things. Chap could also be sandpaper in terms of personality whereas Jones is more personable and his style will work better with today's players.

I'm not all that focused on Lulay's health at this point in time. Down the road his shoulder will heal and then we'll find out how well he can throw. In the meantime we're in good hands with Glenn.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Big Time
Champion

Blitz wrote:Right now, as long as Kevin Glenn stays healthy, I'm not all that concerned about Travis Lulay.

I really believe our offence will be improved this season for the following reasons in this order:

1. RUSHING ATTACK . Our running game (which was first in the CFL in 2012 and 3rd last season) will be better than 2013 because of the addition of Stephan Logan. We won't likely go through the long stretch of not being able to run the football like we did in mid-season last year. Our running attack was very, very impressive in the last 3 games of 2013, using both Logan and Harris and a new blocking scheme, averaging a mind boggling 200 yds. plus a game in those last 3 games. While that will be impossible to continue over an entire season it showed how effective we could be this season.

2. KEVIN GLENN. With two new players on the left side of our offensive line, with Norman only in his second season and with Valli at right guard and with a group of fairly inexperienced receivers, we need a quarterback at this point in time who can read quickly, have a quick release, and throw accurately and Glenn does all those things very well. I have usually preferred very mobile quarterbacks who are double threats to run and pass. But right now the game, with all the blitzing (all you had to do was look at how Etcheverry blitzed the hell out of Ricky Ray last night) a quick release, accurate throwing quarterback is the best way to address the blitz. Glenn also does not have to get into a passing rythym to be effective. He was used to Cornish doing a lot of running on first down and throwing on second down only quite often and therefore, he is used to a run favored style of offence.

3. SCHEME. Chap's offence was considered predictable and boring by some but it was in fact a very sophisticated offence...and that made it difficult (and sometimes confusing) for players, especially players with a lack of experience. It had tons of reads, motion, terminology , and complexity. Khari Jones has simplified things. Chap could also be sandpaper in terms of personality whereas Jones is more personable and his style will work better with today's players.

I'm not all that focused on Lulay's health at this point in time. Down the road his shoulder will heal and then we'll find out how well he can throw. In the meantime we're in good hands with Glenn.
:whs: Could not agree more.
Big Time
Champion

Lulay officially moved to 6-game injured list. Glenn is your starter for the first third of the season...