Is Travis Lulay done? - moved to the 6 game IL on 6/27/14

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 53m

#BCLions gm Wally Buono lobbied the CFL to let qb Travis Lulay practise this week but the league said no.

The CFL wants players on the 6 game injured list to start practising in week 5 and not week 4 like Bouno wanted.

Not sure how that works out, do you mean Wally wanted Travis practicing prior to the Montreal game? If not, Travis has missed 4 games, so he should be available to practice this week, maybe just before the Bombers game, if they calculate it from the time he went on the IL.
July 25th is the 4 week mark.....if the league doesn't allow a player to start practicing until the start of he 5th week than that would be July 26th.

Once again, the league keeps it's fans in the dark.....preferring to leave us guessing/theorizing/hypothesizing rather than stating CLEARLY what the rules are.....shameful.
The 6 game limited practice rule is new so naturally no one in the CFL Head Office knows how to apply the rule. :rules: :dizzy:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

#BCLions gm Wally Buono lobbied the CFL to let qb Travis Lulay practise this week but the league said no.

The CFL wants players on the 6 game injured list to start practising in week 5 and not week 4 like Bouno wanted.
I take this to mean Lulay's recovery is coming along nicely :thup: :cr:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Rammer wrote:

Not sure how that works out, do you mean Wally wanted Travis practicing prior to the Montreal game? If not, Travis has missed 4 games, so he should be available to practice this week, maybe just before the Bombers game, if they calculate it from the time he went on the IL.
July 25th is the 4 week mark.....if the league doesn't allow a player to start practicing until the start of he 5th week than that would be July 26th.

Once again, the league keeps it's fans in the dark.....preferring to leave us guessing/theorizing/hypothesizing rather than stating CLEARLY what the rules are.....shameful.
My (possibly incorrect) understanding was that a 6G'ed player can resume participation in team practices as soon as four games have been played dating from the time he was first 6G'ed, so that it wouldn't matter how many days before the first game the transaction closed. The duration a player spends on the list goes by games rather than weeks. A bye week could create some irregularities if it happens to fall between the conclusion of the 4th game and the start of the 7th game (i.e., 1st one of game roster eligibility). Are such players allowed three weeks of practice before the 7th game just because of such bye week, while other players would normally only get two? Or would their practice eligibility be limited only to the final two weeks before their game eligibility resumes?

As TLK indicates, WB's desire to have had Lulay back at practice before the MTL game seems to auger well for his recovery.

Things should be clearer by tomorrow. If TL is practicing, I'm sure media folks like LU who regularly attend will be on top of it.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Hmmm.... more stuff to be interpreted I guess......

I hope he's well enough to start practicing, guess we'll hear tomorrow....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/2014/07/21 ... 040-monday
Lulay and Arceneaux on TEAM 1040 Monday
Lulay on track for Week 7 return, Arceneaux talked about Saturday's domination
Posted on 7/21/2014 10:26:00 AM by Matt Baker

Lions Quarterback Travis Lulay joined the Bro Jake Show on Monday and gave an update on the status of his injured shoulder. Travis says the rehab has been on schedule and there is no reason to think he won't be ready to return when eligible, August 8th when the Lions host Hamilton.

"I've been shootin all along to be ready as soon as that ( the 6 game injured list) is done. I'm optimistic that I can be back on the roster here within the next couple of weeks." Lulay said.

The former league Most Outstanding Player injured the shoulder in October of last season. Despite returning for the Western Semi-Final loss against Saskatchewan, Lulay underwent surgery in late November and was hopeful to be ready at the start of this season.

You can listen to the entire interview by clicking on the link below.

https://soundcloud.com/team-radio-inter ... ow-july-21

Manny Arceneaux was on Monday's edition of The Lions Den, fresh off his 3 touchdown and 198 yard performance against the Alouettes. Arceneaux says it was a great night, but the receiving core is not even close to living up to their true potential quite yet. You can listen to the entire interview here:

https://soundcloud.com/team-radio-inter ... us-july-21

The Lions are getting set to host Winnipeg on Friday night. Rick Ball and Giulio Caravatta will have the call at 7PM on TEAM 1040.
Re: the soundcloud file of the interview, they never really got much into the details of how the 6G works but Lulay said he was throwing some last week (not with the team evidently as per the rules, as Suitor(?) pointed out). Suitor asked him if he's ready to practice now.
Suitor: I know the rules say that you can't practice with the team until after that four week span... of the six week injured list but could you practice now if the rules said you could?
[sj-roc note: As I already noted, I thought the rules said he was already allowed to practice with the completion of the 4th game. Suitor (and he might well be right on this) makes it sound like it's four weeks from being placed on the 6G, i.e., July 25 in this case, which is what SZM noted.]

Lulay: Yeah. I think so. Ah, you know, maybe it wouldn't be, I wouldn't make every single throw, but I feel like I could, uh I could, yeah, get in there and operate and uh... and that's, that's really where I'm gonna get a better understanding of where I'm at is when I can practice again and make some of the throws and see if, um, you know, I'm held back on any, on any of that type of stuff but um, you know that ...(?unintelligible to me?)... test, being in the pocket, moving and making those throws, um, and that's the next step.
Some heming and hawing there from TL. His answer didn't sound all that confident to me in terms of his readiness to play on Aug 8th.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote: A bye week could create some irregularities if it happens to fall between the conclusion of the 4th game and the start of the 7th game (i.e., 1st one of game roster eligibility). Are such players allowed three weeks of practice before the 7th game just because of such bye week, while other players would normally only get two? Or would their practice eligibility be limited only to the final two weeks before their game eligibility resumes?

As TLK indicates, WB's desire to have had Lulay back at practice before the MTL game seems to auger well for his recovery.

Things should be clearer by tomorrow. If TL is practicing, I'm sure media folks like LU who regularly attend will be on top of it.
Bye week doesn't change things much because teams don't practice during bye weeks. Most players head back to wherever home is. I think teams are still limited to the same number of hours of practice and other team activities as they would if it was just one week between games. Having said that IIRC teams are allowed to have one extra day of practice activities or an extra padded practice between games at their discretion once to twice per season. I'd guess that would be to allow an extra day of practice for bye weeks. There is no double dipping or doubling up of practice time just because it's a bye week.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

One thing I noticed in CFL.ca transactions is that when players are put on the 6 game list there are two dates shown:

BC TRF TO INJURED IMP Travis LULAY (QB) Montana State - to Aug-7^^ (Jul-26)

BC TRF TO INJURED IMP Andre RAMSEY (OL) Ball State - to Aug-16^^ (Aug-2)

I'm guessing the first date is the date of the first game the player is eligible to play with the second date in brackets being the date the player is eligible to return to practice.

As for when a player can return to practice it seems fans are confusing the last day being on the IR with the first game the player is eligible to play. The player is allowed to return to practice 2 weeks before the 1ST GAME HE IS ELIGIBLE TO PLAY not 2 weeks before the 6TH GAME ON THE DL. If it was a case of the latter then players would get 3 weeks of practice in before returning to action.
Last edited by Hambone on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Obviously its key to get Lulay practicing so that he can accurately test his arm on all routes...that should be this week based on what the rules state...

I still don't like how "iffy" Lulay's comments are about his shoulder though...I would like to hear more certainty from him.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:One thing I noticed in CFL.ca transactions is that when players are put on the 6 game list there are two dates shown:.....
Good info, thanks for posting......
MexicoLionFan wrote:Obviously its key to get Lulay practicing so that he can accurately test his arm on all routes...that should be this week based on what the rules state...

I still don't like how "iffy" Lulay's comments are about his shoulder though...I would like to hear more certainty from him.
I thought he was going to be ready to start the preseason based on his comments earlier this spring. These injuries, especially shoulders, are two steps forward one step back, IMO. I've injured BOTH shoulders numerous times. Sometimes I forget they were ever injured and other times I have trouble carrying a jug of milk. Thankfully those tough times are very, very rare but its inconcerting nonetheless......
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:One thing I noticed in CFL.ca transactions is that when players are put on the 6 game list there are two dates shown:

BC TRF TO INJURED IMP Travis LULAY (QB) Montana State - to Aug-7^^ (Jul-26)

BC TRF TO INJURED IMP Andre RAMSEY (OL) Ball State - to Aug-16^^ (Aug-2)

I'm guessing the first date is the date of the first game the player is eligible to play with the second date in brackets being the date the player is eligible to return to practice.

As for when a player can return to practice it seems fans are confusing the last day being on the IR with the first game the player is eligible to play. The player is allowed to return to practice 2 weeks before the 1ST GAME HE IS ELIGIBLE TO PLAY not 2 weeks before the 6TH GAME ON THE DL. If it was a case of the latter then players would get 3 weeks of practice in before returning to action.
Looking/calculating the numbers/dates from that transaction list:

Players on the 6 game are allowed to practice with the team the day AFTER the 5th missed game......and are eligible to come off the 6 game list the day BEFORE the 7th game.

The bye week doesn't seem to affect it at all.
Lloyd
Hambone
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Sometimes I forget they were ever injured and other times I have trouble carrying a jug of milk. Thankfully those tough times are very, very rare but its inconcerting nonetheless......
Not a big deal. Now if at times you had trouble carrying a 6 pack beer well that would be disastrous.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Players on the 6 game are allowed to practice with the team the day AFTER the 5th missed game......and are eligible to come off the 6 game list the day BEFORE the 7th game.

The bye week doesn't seem to affect it at all.
Exactly. Being allowed to practice AFTER the 5th missed game = 2 weeks of practice BEFORE the 7th game (1st game back)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SURREY, B.C. -- Travis Lulay felt like a kid again Monday - at least for a little while.

The B.C. Lions quarterback, who is nearing the end of his stint on the six-game injured list, returned to practice for a few plays as his club prepared for their next game Saturday in Calgary against the unbeaten Stampeders.

"It was just fun to be able to practise again," said Lulay, who has been sidelined since the start of the season. "I've been watching for a long time. So the joke is that I've got fresh legs now."

The freshness of his shoulder, however, remains in question as he continues to recover from off-season surgery to repair a torn labrum. Lulay took part in a spring offensive mini-camp, but the shoulder was not up to strength for training camp or the pre-season and the Lions (2-3) placed him on the six-game injured list prior to their regular-season opener.

"It really is going to be depending on how the weeks go and stuff," he said. "This is still a progression for me. This is the first step into a live environment with moving parts and reading defences and all of that stuff."

Travis Lulay has been attempting to work his way back into the lineup as Kevin Glenn keeps the offence afloat.

Lulay was pleased with how the shoulder felt while he made short-range passes, but does not want to get ahead of himself in his recovery, which includes acupuncture along with stretching, strengthening and mobility exercises.

He is not eligible - or ready, according to coach Mike Benevides - to return for Saturday's contest, but is now allowed to take part in practice under CFL rules covering the long-term injury list.

"I have to be honest with myself and be as open and honest as I can with everybody," he said. "If I'm trying to fool people, that's not good for anybody. So I'm very open about (how the shoulder feels) and (coaches) trust me to push it to the limit - but not beyond."

Although Lulay has "pushed the limits" to be as involved as possible in practices and home and away games, he still missed "little things" like high-fives and head bumps on the field before games. Now that the 30-year-old is able to take part in practice again, he is even more anxious to return to the lineup.

"Any time you can't be in there with your teammates, that's tough to have to sit back and watch, because you want to go out there and contribute," he said. "And, even if things are bad, you want to be in the middle of all that with those guys, just so that you're going through those moments."

Until Lulay is able to return, Kevin Glenn - whose 10 interceptions already exceed his total of seven with Calgary last season - will remain the man in the middle, pending any decision to go with backup John Beck. Lulay says he is confident that Glenn can rebound from his struggles last weekend in a humiliating 23-6 loss to Winnipeg last Friday.

"That's a really good trait, especially for a quarterback, because there's a lot of mental stuff that goes into playing the position," he said. "So you have to be able to move past a tough outing. (Glenn) has developed the ability to do that from his experience, just being in the league a long time. It's been cool to see."

For his part, Glenn tries to stay cool by trying to "erase" and "wash" away a bad outing. The chance to shine against the Stampeders, who left him open in the expansion draft before he was claimed by Ottawa and traded to B.C. when Lulay's shoulder woes became more apparent, does not provide extra incentive. Nor does Lulay's apparently impending return, which Glenn considers beyond his control.

"I try not to let (tough times) control how I proceed or how I function, in life or on the football field," he said. "That's just me. Some guys are different, and I think every player is different. You just have to go about it. But I don't think it's wrong for a guy to feel a certain way. I'm just as upset as anybody."

Benevides could not hide his displeasure with the mistakes and numerous penalties committed against Winnipeg. He says he wants his players to get back to playing the "disciplined football" that they did the two previous weeks in wins over Saskatchewan and Montreal.

"It's a discipline thing," he said. "It's an anger-management thing. It's finding poise."

While trying to get through their own quarterbacking woes, the Lions will try to disrupt the poise of Calgary signal-caller Bo Levi Mitchell. With seven consecutive wins dating to last season, Mitchell has equalled the CFL record for quarterback victories to start a career, shared by Jeff Garcia, and could gain sole possession of it Saturday.

Lions defensive back Ryan Phillips said stopping Mitchell's record run is not a priority. Instead, defenders want to prevent him from connecting with his receivers and apply suitable pressure on Mitchell. The Lions, he added, also need to bring their overall game up to Calgary's level.

"They're where we want to be," said Phillips.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Although Lulay has "pushed the limits" to be as involved as possible in practices and home and away games, he still missed "little things" like high-fives and head bumps on the field before games. Now that the 30-year-old is able to take part in practice again, he is even more anxious to return to the lineup.
I wondered reading these lines if LU was taking a dig at the culture from the HC of chest bumping and high fiving... a bit of an odd line.

I taken about by the comments of wanting to win for Geroy (other article). Sorry but Geroy works for the Riders and they are in a battle with BC to keep out of the cellar and make a play off position with the Stamps and Esks leading the pack and both Riders and BC having some issues to date.

Sounds like Travis Lulay might be re-thinking the desire to take these big hits in future. Even post injury he took a Buck Pierce approach and line - 'it's what a QB does' - of course ignoring the brilliant careers of guys like Anthony Cavillo, Damon Allen, Danny McManus and even Doug Flutie - who I don't recall taking massive hits but he did scramble and run - but if memory serves me he never put his shoulder down to take on a big LB or DB.

Travis will have to change that running part of his game if this story is right as to how he is not 100% ready to even toss a pass.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I taken about by the comments of wanting to win for Geroy (other article). Sorry but Geroy works for the Riders and they are in a battle with BC to keep out of the cellar and make a play off position with the Stamps and Esks leading the pack and both Riders and BC having some issues to date.
Those "win for Geroy" comments initially struck me as odd, too.

But in fairness — and not that this fully mitigates such talk, as I certainly would still prefer not to have heard it — and in case you weren't aware, those comments came in the context of Geroy giving the whole team an "I will always bleed orange" pre-game locker room speech as seen here in this video from the Lions' website:

http://www.bclions.com/video/index/id/99587

Of course as you can imagine this didn't sit too well with some of the fans of the team from which he currently draws his paycheque:

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthre ... f-by-Simon

Even to the most impartial observer, a very peculiar scene to say the least.