Players to Watch

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks TLK...I am interested in seeing both Willy and Collaros both do well...the QB position is the life blood of the CFL.

Khalif Mitchell and Kevin Glenn have become our 2 most important players, and neither is a spring chicken. I hope Chad Johnson works out in MON, its an important franchise for our league.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
CoachMatt
prospect

Am I the only one who thinks Drew Willy won't cut it in this league? I just don't see much in him. i'll eat crow if I'm wrong though.

Troy Smith throwing to Chad Johnson, all they need is Tim Tebow as their tailback and they have a complete 2010 ESPN news article sitting on their depth chart.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CoachMatt wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Drew Willy won't cut it in this league? I just don't see much in him. i'll eat crow if I'm wrong though.

Troy Smith throwing to Chad Johnson, all they need is Tim Tebow as their tailback and they have a complete 2010 ESPN news article sitting on their depth chart.
The short answer to your question is YES.

The longer answer is that it is his first season as a starter on what was the worst team in the CFL last season so don't expect greatness in the short term. The Bombers need to up grade their Oline and National talent before they become a contender and when they do that they have a Qb who once he gains some additional experience, will be able to take the team to the next level.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote: I hope Chad Johnson works out in MON, its an important franchise for our league.
A healthy Montreal franchise is important. How he made that team is beyond me, though.
There are guys you can recognize at the US College level that have a CFL skillset. Troy Smith is one of them. He shouldn't have wasted his time in the UFL.
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote: I hope Chad Johnson works out in MON, its an important franchise for our league.
A healthy Montreal franchise is important. How he made that team is beyond me, though.
There are guys you can recognize at the US College level that have a CFL skillset. Troy Smith is one of them. He shouldn't have wasted his time in the UFL.
I am suspect on Smith after this preseason, he doesn't exude that extra quality that we saw at the end of last season.
Entertainment value = an all time low
JohnHenry
Champion

I doubt T. Smith will still be starting QB by mid-season...or maybe even by game 6? He was a 53% passer in the NFL and 54% in the CFL. The Als could be in serious trouble. They should perhaps trade for Matt Nichols, who might not want to stick around Edm as Reilly's backup, with Mike signing a million-dollar contract with the Esks yesterday.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:I doubt T. Smith will still be starting QB by mid-season...or maybe even by game 6? He was a 53% passer in the NFL and 54% in the CFL. The Als could be in serious trouble. They should perhaps trade for Matt Nichols, who might not want to stick around Edm as Reilly's backup, with Mike signing a million-dollar contract with the Esks yesterday.
No love for Tanner Marsh?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I like Willy, I think he's going to make a good CFL QB...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

http://cfl.ca/article/ready-to-breakout ... more-stars

MOD EDIT - this didn't really need its own thread. Related to previous topic of "Players To Watch" this year so have merged the two. DH
ballhawk
Legend

Silently, without comment, on the Lions' Practice Roster for over the past month has been WR Lavasier Tuinei. Tuninei was the Offensive Player of the Game in the 2012 Rose Bowl in which his Oregon Ducks defeated the Wisconsin Badgers 45-38 in one of the most exciting Rose Bowl games ever. Indications are that he is doing very well.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
pennw
Legend

ballhawk wrote:Silently, without comment, on the Lions' Practice Roster for over the past month has been WR Lavasier Tuinei. Tuninei was the Offensive Player of the Game in the 2012 Rose Bowl in which his Oregon Ducks defeated the Wisconsin Badgers 45-38 in one of the most exciting Rose Bowl games ever. Indications are that he is doing very well.

Good call on this guy . Looked very impressive in his debut , to bad the Lions staff had not been able to see Tuinei's ability before being forced to as an emergency replacement .
Rammer
Team Captain

pennw wrote:
ballhawk wrote:Silently, without comment, on the Lions' Practice Roster for over the past month has been WR Lavasier Tuinei. Tuninei was the Offensive Player of the Game in the 2012 Rose Bowl in which his Oregon Ducks defeated the Wisconsin Badgers 45-38 in one of the most exciting Rose Bowl games ever. Indications are that he is doing very well.

Good call on this guy . Looked very impressive in his debut , to bad the Lions staff had not been able to see Tuinei's ability before being forced to as an emergency replacement .
That has been the ongoing theme in Lions land for a number of years. I can't believe the talent that the Lions have sit on the bench in a season, well until it is the next man up call.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Kind of makes you question the coaches ' decision on which player to insert into the active roster.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
pennw wrote:

That has been the ongoing theme in Lions land for a number of years. I can't believe the talent that the Lions have sit on the bench in a season, well until it is the next man up call.

Lions seem to always make their personnel decisions for the most part in the off-season, even if newcomers have excellent camps. Even late NFL cuts are always pegged for the following season regardless of how good they look. There have been a few exceptions but that seems to be the rule in Wally's World.