CFL 2014 Ratings/Playoff Positions at 2014 11 08

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
.........Ottawa ... Thankfully an easy upcoming game for ... Both teams? Against vulnerable opponents.
:rotf: scary thing is its true. Guess we'll see whose offence is the better one or will a defence rise to the occasion and outscore the other teams offence? Actually the Redblacks showed more last week than the Lions did on offence, IMO.....
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

notahomer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
.........Ottawa ... Thankfully an easy upcoming game for ... Both teams? Against vulnerable opponents.
:rotf: scary thing is its true. Guess we'll see whose offence is the better one or will a defence rise to the occasion and outscore the other teams offence? Actually the Redblacks showed more last week than the Lions did on offence, IMO.....
In addition, in the 7-5 win over Ottawa the Lions did not play well enough to deserve a win and in fact would have lost the game except for getting a break from the nasty weather that caused Ottawa to miss a FG. Days after that game I realized that I have felt better in the past about some loses than that win.

Normally I would say that a home game at BC Place would give the Lions enough of an edge to win. But that has not been the case this season. So I expect the Lions loosing streak to continue.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

By the record ...

Cal. The class of the league.

Edm. Tough opponent. One has to ask if Chris Jones is making any friends. LOL Won't shake hands after a game I heard. Runs up the score? As long as his players believe in him, he can get away with an "us against them" attitude.

Sas. Slip sliding away. Who knew they would miss Durant so much? Tough schedule remaining.

BC. We're alive. Key win over Ottawa. All guns blazing. Does it mean anything? Who knows? But we do seem to have good talent. And Kevin Glenn is capable of shooting lights out. And our Defence looks formidable under the leadership of Mark Washington. Does Benny get any credit for our stout defence? Maybe a little if he stays out of the kitchen. I would say it is on MW.

Ham. Kicking it into gear under Kent Austin.

Tor. Very tough road to make the playoffs.

Mon. Could sneak into the playoffs.

Win. Free fall. They had so many holes. Had to sink.

Ott. Play for pride and next year's jobs.

Playoff picture ...

Looks like 9 wins and you are in. That is Cal, Edm and Sas. I expect BC to win at least one of their remaining three. So which Eastern team sits out?

Hamilton has Ott, Tor, Ott and Mon. I expect Ham to possibly win three = 9 wins.

Toronto has Mon, Ham, Mon and Ott. If Tor wins in Ham in week 18, Toronto might finish with 9 wins. Beat Ottawa and split with Montreal.

Montreal has away and home vs Toronto, Ottawa in between, and Game 18 vs Hamilton. (Tor, Ott, Tor, Ham)

My guess. Hamilton in. Toronto in. Montreal out with at most 8 wins.

The Lions control their destiny in the attempt to make the playoffs, with at least one win. We could also move up in the West.

We play at Winnipeg, Edmonton and then host Calgary. Could we lose all three? For sure.

For Benny, it is going to come down to winning in the playoffs. One can expect Mark W to have his defence ready. Not sure what to expect from Khari Jones, but the game against Ottawa was very promising. Can we sustain that?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Thanks for posting WCJ....

I think its the Argos who'll be sitting out the playoffs. A month ago it seemed like the crossover would be the Lions best bet, now I think thats the route the Riders will be taking.....

According to the CFL playoffs standings page.....

http://www.cfl.ca/article/2014-cfl-playoffs

Calgary, Edm, Sask are IN based on this weeks results....

And if the playoffs were to start today....

Wpg, Ottawa and HAMILTON would be OUT (BC would play Montreal in the Eastern Semi) :dizzy:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Thanks for posting WCJ....

I think its the Argos who'll be sitting out the playoffs. A month ago it seemed like the crossover would be the Lions best bet, now I think thats the route the Riders will be taking.....

According to the CFL playoffs standings page.....

http://www.cfl.ca/article/2014-cfl-playoffs

Calgary, Edm, Sask are IN based on this weeks results....

And if the playoffs were to start today....

Wpg, Ottawa and HAMILTON would be OUT (BC would play Montreal in the Eastern Semi) :dizzy:
You're welcome, nota.

Many permutations and combinations possible, as sj has spelled out for us.

Makes for an interesting home stretch, and warmup for the playoffs.

I expect either Saskatchewan or us to cross over with 9 wins or more. In the East, as I indicated, my guess is Ham and Tor in, Mtl outside looking in. I agree though, that Toronto has a very tough road to get in. I hope they make it. I like Milanovich and Ricky Ray, a great HC and QB combination. After what they go through with their facilities I feel they deserve entry into the playoffs.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

korey&dante4ever
Champion

One win to get to the postseason. That is all. Wpg can't get to 9. And there is no all three eastern teams can get to 9 wins.

One win
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

1 Cal ... #1. All year and on into the future.

2 Edm ... Jones has built a serious contender, in a hurry.

3 Sas ... Who knows with this team?

4 Ham ... Early difficulties with stadium. Now showing form.

5 Mtl ... Way to go, Tom Higgins. Nice guy deserves some success.

6 BC ... We can squeak into the playoffs. And we could theoretically make some noise. Defence has been outstanding.

7 Tor ... Tough road to get into the playoffs.

8 Win ... Next year.

9 Ott ... Somewhat disappointing. The league gave them every chance to be competitive, and perhaps they were at times.

We look like good odds for the crossover. We could move up in the West also.

ballhawk
Legend

If the Lions defeat the Bombers then they will tie the Riders with 9 wins. This puts the Lions IMO in a better position to take 3rd place in the West with 2 games remaining. Both the Lions and the Riders will have to play the Eskimos and Stampeders in their last two games, but the Lions will have the higher ranking in a tiebreaker with the Riders. It will be interesting to see how intense the Stampeders play for the rest of the regular season with 1st place guaranteed. Maybe room for an upset for either the Lions or the Riders here.

In the East, if Toronto wins all 3 of their remaining games (which they need to in order to get into the playoffs, assuming BC wins at least one game), then the last game of the season between Montreal and Hamilton will decide which one of those teams miss the playoffs.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:1 Cal ... #1. All year and on into the future.

6 BC ... We can squeak into the playoffs. And we could theoretically make some noise. Defence has been outstanding.

8 Win ... Next year.

9 Ott ... Somewhat disappointing. The league gave them every chance to be competitive, and perhaps they were at times.

I can't rank Saskatchewan ahead of B.C. Losers of four straight, the best thing that can be said about Saskatchewan is that they looked better with 41-year-old Kerry Joseph at quarterback, which isn't saying much. They finish with Calgary and Edmonton. Unless those opponents choose to rest some starters, the Riders will be hard-pressed to win another game.

I'll give Montreal a nod for having won four straight, including a quality win over Calgary.

1. Calgary
2. Edmonton
3. Montreal
4. B.C.
5. Hamilton
6. Toronto
7. Saskatchewan
8. Winnipeg
9. Ottawa
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:

8 Win ... Next year.

I can't rank Saskatchewan ahead of B.C. Losers of four straight, the best thing that can be said about Saskatchewan is that they looked better with 41-year-old Kerry Joseph at quarterback, which isn't saying much. They finish with Calgary and Edmonton. Unless those opponents choose to rest some starters, the Riders will be hard-pressed to win another game.

I'll give Montreal a nod for having won four straight, including a quality win over Calgary.

1. Calgary
2. Edmonton
3. Montreal
4. B.C.
5. Hamilton
6. Toronto
7. Saskatchewan
8. Winnipeg
9. Ottawa
Point well made.

Sas has 9 wins though. Ham and Mtl likely playoff teams, despite their losses. And they are rolling along now.

Win one and we enter in the East, at least. Odds look good for us. Now we have to play and win.

Sas is weird this year. Looks like Durant is the straw that stirs the drink in Regina.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/2014-cfl-play ... ssover2014

I've been checking this link from time to time but it has some flaws, IMO. For e.g. Ottawa/Bombers apparently have not been eliminated from the playoff yet? I'm no math wizard but how would either of these teams make the playoffs.......
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:http://www.cfl.ca/article/2014-cfl-play ... ssover2014

I've been checking this link from time to time but it has some flaws, IMO. For e.g. Ottawa/Bombers apparently have not been eliminated from the playoff yet? I'm no math wizard but how would either of these teams make the playoffs.......
Even without the possibility of a crossover, Ott at 2-13 are indeed eliminated as they can't even catch 3rd place Tor at 6-9.

Wpg (6-10) on the other hand remain alive but are hanging on by only the slimmest of threads:

• They must win out vBC (Oct 25) & @Cgy (Nov 1).

• BC (8-7) must also lose its other two games.

• Then Wpg & BC would both finish 8-10 but Wpg would win the tiebreaker for 4th place via their Oct 25 win. BC would drop to 5th and thereby miss the playoffs. :shock:

• Then there's the crossover business to worry about. It's possible that either of Mtl (7-8) or Ham (7-8) could lose all of its remaining games or that Tor (6-9) could fail to reach 8-10. Any of these scenarios with all of the above western happenings would allow a Wpg crossover.

The crossover might be the easy part for Wpg; I can't see them landing 4th in the west.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:

8 Win ... Next year.

1. Calgary
2. Edmonton
3. Montreal
4. B.C.
5. Hamilton
6. Toronto
7. Saskatchewan
8. Winnipeg
9. Ottawa
Point well made.

Sas has 9 wins though. Ham and Mtl likely playoff teams, despite their losses. And they are rolling along now.

Win one and we enter in the East, at least. Odds look good for us. Now we have to play and win.

Sas is weird this year. Looks like Durant is the straw that stirs the drink in Regina.
Riders are dead in the water given their current QB situation, so unless Durant makes a return, I agree with placing them 7th and at most 6th, just because they are going to make the playoffs by the slimmest of margins.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: Riders are dead in the water given their current QB situation, so unless Durant makes a return, I agree with placing them 7th and at most 6th, just because they are going to make the playoffs by the slimmest of margins.
Riders have question marks, as do we. They are already in the playoffs. They have nine wins. We are not in yet.

I find the Riders' collapse strange. They seem to have loads of talent.

Dunno from game to game if we will show up well motivated and well prepared. I do expect Mark Washington to have his defence well prepared. Our offence? Our STs?

Time to win some games, and we will see how it goes.

South Pender
Legend

Perhaps I'm not understanding how a team makes the playoffs here, but how can the Riders be shown to have clinched a playoff spot? If they lose their last two games, they'd end up at 9-9, and if the Lions win 2 of their last 3, this would put the Riders in 4th place in the West. If the Argos win their last 3, both the Argos and Riders would have identical records, and, if I'm understanding the crossover rules correctly, Toronto would get the nod because for a team to cross over it must have a better record than the third place team in the other division. Does it have something to do with the fact that not all of the three top Eastern teams can reach 9-9?

Someone please explain....