CFL 2014 Ratings/Playoff Positions at 2014 11 08

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Already? Yes.

Coaches rate players every day, and assess their team strengths and weaknesses each and every day. Oddsmakers rate the teams. The media rates the teams.

And one could wait until the playoffs to rate the teams, if one was ultra conservative. Or one could wait for a couple of regular season games. Or four games. Or six games. Or nine games. Or whatever ...

So this is just getting the feet a bit wet.

In the West, I am surprised that Calgary just does not look all that dominant. Can they miss Kevin Glenn that much? The answer would seem to be: Yes. Without Papa Bear Kevin, Bo and Drew looked just a little bit shaky, it seems to me. But the team should be pretty good. Good running game. Good defence. Good coaching.

And now that Kevin Glenn is ours, we can see "up close and personal" what he brings to a team. Calmness, confidence, focus, quick reads, quick release, less pressure on the O Line. It is all good for us. I like what we see from our new OC and DC. Their squads look focused. Intense and athletic. I expect their game plans will be state of the art. I expect they will adjust, adjust, adjust, as is needed these days. For how quiet Wally was in FA, I am surprised how deep the team looks. Credit to Neil McAvoy and Kelly Bates for all the evaluations, recommendations and decisions they made. We have hit some very nice home runs lately in the draft. Norman. Fabien. Probably Steward. Player. Westerman. Menard. Chin. McGarva. Thorn. Haidara. Build to a championship through the draft. :thup:

I expect the Riders to be pretty good. Excellent O Line. Solid drafts most years. They spend the money. The rabid fans are coming to demand high standards. And those rabid fans deserve just that. Taman seems like a no nonsense kind of guy, taking care of business. Chamblin seems like a no nonsense coach. Durant has his Grey Cup ring.

I expect Chris Jones will have the Eskimos playing competitive football. Mike Reilly certainly helps that goal.

For the Bombers, the only way is up. They should be better than they have been lately. IMO they have a ways to go to replace Kevin Glenn and Buck Pierce.

In the East, I expect the Argos to be pretty good as long as Milanovich is there. Oh yeah, and Ricky Ray.

I expect the TiCats to be very competitive with Kent Austin setting the standard. He is so new to the CFL Head Coaching gig, in just his third season, however, this CFL fan wonders if he has a burnout quotient for his team. He certainly seems intense. In his two seasons as HC, he has one Grey Cup ring and another Grey Cup appearance. Not too bad.

Are the Alouettes on the way down? Well, Calvillo is retired. Hawkins has been fired, after causing chaos. Higgins is the HC, but was hired without input from the GM, Jim Popp. The OC, Rick Worman, was fired in TC. :dizzy:

And the RedBlacks look pretty competitive for a new franchise. The league did expansion the right way this time, allowing them to field a pretty good team.

We seem stronger than last year. The Stampeders look a bit weaker with the loss of Kevin Glenn. The Riders might be a bit weaker, having kind of snuck into the Grey Cup last year, and having lost two stars from their offence, and some good ones from their defence. I would expect the Eskimos and Bombers to be looking up, but anything can happen in the CFL.

In the East, I expect the Argos and TiCats to be at the top, with the Alouettes and RedBlacks looking up.

Things will probably change fast in the first few weeks, and then settle down with some clear pace setters and also rans.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=455126
LIONS FAVOURED TO WIN 2014 GREY CUP IN VANCOUVER

TSN staff

6/18/2014 1:14:13 PM

With the CFL regular season set to get under way next week, the B.C. Lions have been annointed the favourites to win the Grey Cup.

According to Bodog.ca, the Lions are 15-4 favourites to hoist the trophy at home in November.

The defending champion Saskatchewan Roughriders and Calgary Stampeders are next at 4-1.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have the best odds in the Eastern Division at 7-1, with the Toronto Argonauts next at 15-2.

To no one's surprise, the expansion Ottawa Redblacks are the longest shot to win the Grey Cup at 18-1.
I would rather our team was in chase position, than leading in the expectations.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=455126

TSN staff

With the CFL regular season set to get under way next week, the B.C. Lions have been annointed the favourites to win the Grey Cup.

According to Bodog.ca, the Lions are 15-4 favourites to hoist the trophy at home in November.

The defending champion Saskatchewan Roughriders and Calgary Stampeders are next at 4-1.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have the best odds in the Eastern Division at 7-1, with the Toronto Argonauts next at 15-2.

To no one's surprise, the expansion Ottawa Redblacks are the longest shot to win the Grey Cup at 18-1.
I would rather our team was in chase position, than leading in the expectations.

Perhaps they are putting a lot of weight on the host team participating in the GC given it's happened 3 years in a row. Without that maybe Bodog has the Lions more like 6-1?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Lions looked good in the pre-season but I'd not all of a sudden think the Riders are done.

Calgary looked not so good and maybe the choosing of the starter will settle these two gun slingers down.

On pre season and into week one:
Sask
BC
Calgary
Edm
Wpg

Tor
Ham
Ott
Mtl
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Perhaps they are putting a lot of weight on the host team participating in the GC given it's happened 3 years in a row. Without that maybe Bodog has the Lions more like 6-1?
Yes, Bodog installed the Lions as favourites before the preseason. I'm more confident in their Grey Cup prospects now than I was before training camp. I think Calgary and Saskatchewan are weaker this year. The Lions and Edmonton are improved. The Argos look strong in the East.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: Calgary looked not so good and maybe the choosing of the starter will settle these two gun slingers down.

Sask
BC
Calgary
Edm
Wpg

Tor
Ham
Ot
Mtl

I do wonder if the ineffectiveness of Tate and MItchell was them playing that poorly or the Lions' D rendering them that ineffective. Conversely was the BC D that good or were Tate and Mitchell making them look that good? I came out of the preseason feeling confident the Lions are a legitimate competitor in what should be yet another classic 3 way battle for 1st in the West. I don't like to put too much stock in exhibition games but damn I liked a lot of what I saw on Friday night. Most importantly I like the depth I'm seeing. Even the much maligned OL is starting to grow on me. Even if the youth in it makes mistakes early as long as they learn and continue to progress I believe they will be more than competent by the time we turn the corner at Labour Day.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bodog's 2013 Grey Cup predictions:

BC 7/2
Calgary 9/2
Toronto 5/1
Montreal 11/2
Sask 6/1
Edmonton 6/1
Winnipeg 9/1
Hamilton 9/1

2012 Odds

Hamilton 4/1
BC 9/2
Calgary 5/1
Montreal 5/1
Winnipeg 11/2
Toronto 13/2
Edmonton 8/1
Sask 9/1
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=455126

TSN staff

Perhaps they are putting a lot of weight on the host team participating in the GC given it's happened 3 years in a row. Without that maybe Bodog has the Lions more like 6-1?
Yeah, that looks likely. And it looks like they pretty much go with the relative strength as of season end.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/bryant-the-od ... ving-corps
Toronto opens the '14 season Thursday night in Winnipeg. And despite the Argos managing nine sacks in their exhibition win over Hamilton, Milanovich said his team has plenty of work to do before it can consider itself a Grey Cup contender.

"I don't take a lot of stock in what happened in the pre-season,'' he said. "I just got done telling the team we're an average football team right now.

"But a defence that gets after the quarterback energizes a team. I hope we're able to do that Thursday night.'' -- Scott Milanovich
Yup. Get after the QB.

Milanovich did not show much as a quarterback IMO when Barker first brought him to Calgary. But IMO Milanovich is a first rate Head Coach.

Our O Line is going to feel like they have gone to some kind of O Line heaven blocking for Kevin Glenn. He is so tough for a D Line to reach. Almost there ... Oooopps, the ball is gone. Turn around and chase. And I expect Khari Jones is going to pressure the defence with different looks, change of pace, adaptations, and put the D on its heels. No contest of wills, but rather a taking of what is there.

Conversely I thought we had pretty good pressure on the QBs in the preseason. It will be interesting to watch Mark W's D. I expect they will also work to keep the opponent off balance. We seem to have a strong LB corps, athletic and capable DBs, and even a rather robust D Line.

Be nice if we get off to a quick start this year.

JohnHenry
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote: Calgary looked not so good and maybe the choosing of the starter will settle these two gun slingers down.

Sask
BC
Calgary
Edm
Wpg

Tor
Ham
Ot
Mtl

I do wonder if the ineffectiveness of Tate and MItchell was them playing that poorly or the Lions' D rendering them that ineffective. Conversely was the BC D that good or were Tate and Mitchell making them look that good? I came out of the preseason feeling confident the Lions are a legitimate competitor in what should be yet another classic 3 way battle for 1st in the West. I don't like to put too much stock in exhibition games but damn I liked a lot of what I saw on Friday night. Most importantly I like the depth I'm seeing. Even the much maligned OL is starting to grow on me. Even if the youth in it makes mistakes early as long as they learn and continue to progress I believe they will be more than competent by the time we turn the corner at Labour Day.
I don't put too much stock in exhibition games either. The Calgary offence is better than they showed on Friday. Pounding Cornish into the line 20 times will open up some passing opportunities. Tate and Mitchell are proven accurate passers and Calgary has the best OC in the league (ok, maybe 2nd best after Friday.)

The Lions could have growing pains in the revamped secondary playing a couple of rookies...and rookie DB's are often hit and miss when the bullets start firing for real. :cr:

Hopefully A. Harris can re-ignite that spark he once had and slash through some first tackles. He did make a nice block on S. Logan's TD scamper Friday. :thup:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I still think the Riders have lost some mighty big pieces of their team. Guess we'll see if those pieces have been replaced or not. It just seemed like the Riders were a different team without Sheets. I realize the Riders can and will WIN again without Sheets. That being said, kinda like our Lions, IMO, when the run game struggled, the ENTIRE offence then started struggling. Why plan to stop the run when you know the offence is going to pass? Pin the ears back and go... I think that will be the strategy playing the Riders until their offence balances out. Maybe they've found their sheets or :cr: maybe they haven't.....

Another quirk in this seasons schedules are the bye weeks, IMO. Those are really going to come in handy for teams in some ways and perhaps be momentum blocks for other teams. IOW, when you get your byes is going to impact how things stack up. For e.g. two teams maybe battling for a playoff spot and one team will have a 'game in hand' meaning they haven't had their second bye. I know, I know, its the same for everybody but could be EXACTLY what a team needs (or doesn't need/want). You've got a proverbial 4-point game in a division battle but you get a bye the week before the big game while your opponent has to play another game.

I think ALL teams in the west get a little bit better since numbers wise it WILL be that much tougher to make the playoffs due to the extra team in the WEST. IMO, the Bombers are back where they belong, IN THE WEST. At the same time, as soon as it is safe/stable, I'd like to see the CFL be more stable in the sense of balanced divisions again (5 teams in each of course.... :cool: ).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Don't be too quick to write off the Riders. Yes, they have lost two key clogs in Sheet and Dressler but they are still the champions til someone dethrone them.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Another quirk in this seasons schedules are the bye weeks, IMO. Those are really going to come in handy for teams in some ways and perhaps be momentum blocks for other teams. IOW, when you get your byes is going to impact how things stack up. For e.g. two teams maybe battling for a playoff spot and one team will have a 'game in hand' meaning they haven't had their second bye. I know, I know, its the same for everybody but could be EXACTLY what a team needs (or doesn't need/want). You've got a proverbial 4-point game in a division battle but you get a bye the week before the big game while your opponent has to play another game.
Speaking of schedule quirks:

I noticed our game in Toronto on Sun Aug 17 (last game of Week 8) comes just five days after they face Wpg on Tue Aug 12 (1st game of Week 8), whereas our previous game before Tor is at home against Ham on Fri Aug 8. It remains to be seen what sort of shape each team will be in going into the BC@Tor tilt. But all else being equal, those extra four days of rest would surely have to favour us. I haven't studied the sked in detail to see if there are other similar examples of such mismatch in team rest — aside from the inevitability in a 9-team loop of one of the teams coming off a bye week — but it is the only case where there are five games in one week and one team has to play twice within one week's schedule.

On another note:

The NHL released their 2014-15 schedule yesterday and the Lions will have a clash or two with the Canucks once the NHL season starts on Wed Oct 8.

By this time we'll have only two regular season home games left:
Sat Oct 11, 7pPT (vs Ott, Week 16)
Fri Nov 7, 7pPT (vs Cgy, Week 20)

In between is a bye for Week 17 and visits to Wpg & Edm in Wks 18 & 19 resp.

The first of these two will clash with the Canucks' home opener (vs Oilers) to be aired on CBC; getting around downtown on that night could be compounded in difficulty.

There's no clash with our home finale as the Canucks are idle that night. They're also idle on the night of the Wpg road game, but have a road game starting the same time as our game in Edm. Oddly enough, the Canucks and Lions are both in Edm on the night of Sat Nov 1 with the same 7pPT start time. The Canucks will play on CBC while the Lions are on TSN.

Re: the CFL post-season, the Canucks play the following games on the same Sundays of this 15-day stretch:

Sun Nov 16: idle (CFL ESF & WSF)
Sun Nov 23: Chi @ Van, 7pPT (CFL EF & WF), broadcast network TBA
Sun Nov 30: Van @ Det, 11aPT (GC @ BCP), broadcast on CITY TV

So the Canucks are at home on the Sunday of the WF. But should we host the latter here, it would likely kick off at ~1pmPT and almost certainly be long over before the 7pPT Canucks game begins. I suspect if this scenario unfolds, the cannibalising effect of the GC the following week rather than the Canucks would be a larger drag on ticket sales (if any), which we already saw to some extent in 2005 and 2011.

The Canucks will also play the Red Wings in Detroit on Grey Cup Sunday, but with an 11aPT start time, it will be long wrapped before the 3pPT GC kickoff.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:So the Canucks are at home on the Sunday of the WF. But should we host the latter here, it would likely kick off at ~1pmPT and almost certainly be long over before the 7pPT Canucks game begins. I suspect if this scenario unfolds, the cannibalising effect of the GC the following week rather than the Canucks would be a larger drag on ticket sales (if any), which we already saw to some extent in 2005 and 2011.
Wahoo. Go Lions! WDF & Canuck same day double-header? BCP in the afternoon and walk across the street for the evening. This sports fan loves it.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
sj-roc wrote:So the Canucks are at home on the Sunday of the WF. But should we host the latter here, it would likely kick off at ~1pmPT and almost certainly be long over before the 7pPT Canucks game begins. I suspect if this scenario unfolds, the cannibalising effect of the GC the following week rather than the Canucks would be a larger drag on ticket sales (if any), which we already saw to some extent in 2005 and 2011.
Wahoo. Go Lions! WDF & Canuck same day double-header? BCP in the afternoon and walk across the street for the evening. This sports fan loves it.
Not only that but you get to watch your beloved Red Wings as a GC warmup.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.