BC Lions announcement

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Why not greatest athlete from B.C.?

Steve Nash

Steve Yzerman

Joe Sakic

Larry Walker

Justin Morneau

Jason Bay

Scott Niedermeyer, spent virtually his entire youth in B.C.
As a fellow Cranbrookite growing up, yes Niedermeyer is definitely a BC athlete, he even lives in Cranbrook to this day and is a very approachable down to earth person who is invested in the community and takes stands on green issues. How much more of a British Columbian can you be.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:

Steve Nash

Steve Yzerman

Joe Sakic

Larry Walker

Justin Morneau

Jason Bay

As a fellow Cranbrookite growing up, yes Niedermeyer is definitely a BC athlete, he even lives in Cranbrook to this day and is a very approachable down to earth person who is invested in the community and takes stands on green issues. How much more of a British Columbian can you be.
Very Canadian. :thup:

I was in a 7-11 at 3:00 am one time. At the milk cooler. A kind of scary street-type person came over, waiting to reach into the cooler. I moved past him, and said: "Excuse me." He came to the check out counter later and asked why I apologized. LOL His manner was not threatening (except the way he walked up to the cooler, exactly where I was standing), but his appearance was. He was evidently surprised and confused by my comment. I think he was used to people avoiding him altogether. I mumbled something about being half asleep. I should have said: "Because I'm Canadian." LOL

"Scuse me." "Scuse me." "Sorry." "Sorry." "I'm Canadian."

And, Yes, proud of my country. Happy to be born here. Happy to live here. Not submissive, but polite, for the most part. Except in traffic. Grrrrrrr
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
dupsdell1
Champion

I am not Surprised with Pavel, as Doug Flutie was not here long enough and you are asking people from that era, not from the mid 80's , as I would have said Mervin Fernandez . Geroy is up there but not the best.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Steve Nash

Steve Yzerman

Joe Sakic

Larry Walker

Justin Morneau

Jason Bay

Cam Neely

Greatest athlete to play for a Vancouver team? Pavel Bure ...
1040 polls are usually topical. That would be a good one next time a big BC name calls it quits. Opinions will differ depending on one's metrics.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Greatest athlete to play for a Vancouver team? Pavel Bure ...
1040 polls are usually topical. That would be a good one next time a big BC name calls it quits. Opinions will differ depending on one's metrics.
Before any of our times ... Fred "Cyclone" Taylor, born in Ontario, played for the Stanley Cup Champion, Vancouver Millionaires.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Rammer wrote:

Steve Nash

Steve Yzerman

Joe Sakic

Larry Walker

Justin Morneau

Jason Bay

As a fellow Cranbrookite growing up, yes Niedermayer is definitely a BC athlete, he even lives in Cranbrook to this day and is a very approachable down to earth person who is invested in the community and takes stands on green issues. How much more of a British Columbian can you be.
Very Canadian. :thup:

I was in a 7-11 at 3:00 am one time. At the milk cooler. A kind of scary street-type person came over, waiting to reach into the cooler. I moved past him, and said: "Excuse me." He came to the check out counter later and asked why I apologized. LOL His manner was not threatening (except the way he walked up to the cooler, exactly where I was standing), but his appearance was. He was evidently surprised and confused by my comment. I think he was used to people avoiding him altogether. I mumbled something about being half asleep. I should have said: "Because I'm Canadian." LOL

"Scuse me." "Scuse me." "Sorry." "Sorry." "I'm Canadian."
Just grabbed one of my favourite pictures of Niedermayer and another to give yo perspective on it.

And that one is of his ranch outside of Cranbrook.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Congratulatory notes to GS from a couple of perhaps unlikely sources.

Loverboy's Mike Reno:

[video][/video]

... and Sophie Tweed-Simmons. I know she's bet at a game or two with her famous parents and even sung the anthem but wasn't necessarily expecting this:

[video][/video]
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

If you keep track of this sort of thing, then for the record Geroy wore for the ceremony — perhaps in response to the fallout from the Shirtgate episode? — an orange #81 Lions jersey with his name on back, over top of a dress shirt... that had no readily discernible green on it.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That was probably the warmest and most enthusiastic fan support I've ever seen for one of these ceremonies. The fans were on their feet for the entire halftime ceremony and they stood again for his victory lap in the convertible. Geroy is a legend in this town and still has the heart of a Lion. Congratulations.