CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Just win, baby, and the rest will take care of itself. A home playoff game would be ideal but that's somewhat out of the Lions' hands. I don't think the Lions should fear playing Edmonton and Calgary in the playoffs, other than the weather they're likely to encounter in those cities. Bad weather is also possible in Hamilton or Montreal, and the chances of winning back-to-back 10 a.m. games (Pacific Time) after crossing three times zones are slim at best.
Exactly, I just don't get why anyone's so eager for anything out east.

• The games are in the morning our time.

• We've never fared well with the crossover. In 1997 Pringle had over 200yds on us. The final score wasn't that lopsided but it was like 35-5 at half. We also got smoked there in the 2009 EF.

• Don't be fooled by the W > E interdivision record. Yeah it ended up 28-12 but the east was 9-2 in their last 11 with lowly Ott accounting for the two losses. Speaking of Ott, how did that visit go?

• We're 3-6 in our last nine regular season visits to Ham/Tor/Mtl dating back through 2012 (75-78 combined opponents' record). Over the same timeframe we've been 4-2 in Alberta (61-42 COR).

• We've never won a Grey Cup playing divisional playoff games anywhere but here or Alberta. This is starting to set up like 1994 with the GC back here after the SF & F.

So yeah, let's just go ahead and book that eastern flight, PRONTO!!!!!!!
That was then. This is now. Don't care about then. Go Lions! Go fo(u)rth!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Just win, baby, and the rest will take care of itself. A home playoff game would be ideal but that's somewhat out of the Lions' hands. I don't think the Lions should fear playing Edmonton and Calgary in the playoffs, other than the weather they're likely to encounter in those cities. Bad weather is also possible in Hamilton or Montreal, and the chances of winning back-to-back 10 a.m. games (Pacific Time) after crossing three times zones are slim at best.
Exactly, I just don't get why anyone's so eager for anything out east.

• The games are in the morning our time.

• We've never fared well with the crossover. In 1997 Pringle had over 200yds on us. The final score wasn't that lopsided but it was like 35-5 at half. We also got smoked there in the 2009 EF.

• Don't be fooled by the W > E interdivision record. Yeah it ended up 28-12 but the east was 9-2 in their last 11 with lowly Ott accounting for the two losses. Speaking of Ott, how did that visit go?

• We're 3-6 in our last nine regular season visits to Ham/Tor/Mtl dating back through 2012 (75-78 combined opponents' record). Over the same timeframe we've been 4-2 in Alberta (61-42 COR).

• We've never won a Grey Cup playing divisional playoff games anywhere but here or Alberta. This is starting to set up like 1994 with the GC back here after the SF & F.

So yeah, let's just go ahead and book that eastern flight, PRONTO!!!!!!!
That was then. This is now. Don't care about then. Go Lions! Go fo(u)rth!
So it doesn't bother you that we'd almost certainly have to finish the season in 2005-like fashion to make that happen?

I've mentioned before how Willing Suspension of Rationality (scroll down a few paragraphs, it's there, I swear — and even quoted below; I should prob make that into a .sig) can be an enhancing factor in the enjoyment of sports. I get the feeling L4E is engaging in WSR here.
Pro sports can be a peculiar thing in some ways. When we partake in works of fiction, whether it's a book, a movie, a tv show, professional wrestling ( :wink: ), we often adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for the sake of enjoying the narrative of the work. With sports, I believe there's a similar force at work that I like to refer to as "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt the existence of this phenomenon, just listen to almost any conversation between fans of different teams. Heck, it even happens between fans of the same team. Fans argue all the time over various minutiae of sports, who's the better QB, who's the better goalie, who's the better pitcher and selectively cite whatever facts support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
BC 1988
Legend

Travis Lulay took part in some drill work on Monday but didn't take any reps with the team. Video here:

Then TSN 1040 had a clip of QB Jordan Rodgers (younger brother of Aaron) talking about being added to the practice roster. Article about all the additions:
http://bclions.com/article/lions-add-fi ... 1019093136

You can see Rodgers standing behind Travis in the facebook video, and in the video at the end of the article.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Let's hope this is not turning out to be 'déjà vu all over again' as Yogi Berra was famous for saying when Mantle and Maris hit back to back home runs: "It's like vu all over again.

I really wonder if this is not a high risk decision - no operation early - return to play - take a hit and then risk a Buck Pierce Lion ending (the first time). The pressure to come back and earn your star pay cheque must be huge. He is a smart person - knows the risks - and might well be questioning what they told him about the prior surgery.

Lions GM made it clear that they'd have to think again about QB and this adds to the pressure.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/1188 ... n-rodgers/

Talks about his connection to his brother and other Lions...
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Should be real interesting to see how Jordan Rodgers do. How does he have the football genes as his brother ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Week 18  

Fri Oct 24 Montreal 0 Ottawa 0 6:30 pm RDS,TSN

Fri Oct 24 Saskatchewan 0 Calgary 0 9:30 pm TSN

Sat Oct 25 Hamilton 0 Toronto 0 4:00 pm TSN

Sat Oct 25 BC 0 Winnipeg 0 7:00 pm TSN
Gotta be Montreal.

Cal, unless the Riders' survival instincts kick in. Is Corey Chamblin an easy rider? His team plays like that some times. Easy rider in terms of his demands and expectations. They are giving very little these days.

Ham and Tor? Hmmm ... I would think Argos except they don't seem to have it this year. Missing Jones and O'Shea?

BC. But we seem very capable of sleepwalking. Yeah, we got talent. We are fat and sassy. No sweat. Ouch.

Hoping for the best ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I went all ROAD teams except the Stamps defend homefield versus the RIders......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Montreal

Toronto

Calgary

BC
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Week 18  

Gotta be Montreal.

Cal, unless the Riders' survival instincts kick in. Is Corey Chamblin an easy rider? His team plays like that some times. Easy rider in terms of his demands and expectations. They are giving very little these days.

Ham and Tor? Hmmm ... I would think Argos except they don't seem to have it this year. Missing Jones and O'Shea?

BC. But we seem very capable of sleepwalking. Yeah, we got talent. We are fat and sassy. No sweat. Ouch.

Hoping for the best ...
I like the call on the Lions, that pretty much tells it like it is. A team without killer instinct, and an underserved swagger that continually costs the Lions points. Otherwise they would be in the hunt for second with a realistic chance.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Week 18  

Gotta be Montreal.

Hoping for the best ...
I like the call on the Lions, that pretty much tells it like it is. A team without killer instinct, and an underserved swagger that continually costs the Lions points. Otherwise they would be in the hunt for second with a realistic chance.
Probably stating the obvious but the next two games will determine just how the rest of the season unfolds. PIck up where they left off against Ottawa offensively with a refreshing aggressive vertical scheme and just maybe this team can catch fire at the right time. Stumble along with plenty of two and outs then the season will last no more than 4 more games if they are lucky.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Dante ... story.html
The voice on the phone belonging to Dante Marsh sounded a bit sheepish. A bit nervous perhaps too.

“I’m on vacation,” Marsh said.

It’s a paid vacation but not one of his own choosing, though the B.C. Lions contend his absence was one he brought about himself.

Though the CFL team indicated to reporters the veteran cornerback would not be at practice this week because of personal issues, general manager Wally Buono Wednesday confirmed that Marsh was being asked to stay away from the Lions in lieu of a suspension.

The issue for the club is the fact the 35-year-old was not with his teammates for a rundown Oct. 12, as Marsh had previously made ticketing arrangements to head home and get an early start on a bye week. Also, Marsh was asked to stay in Vancouver for the bye week and rehab an ailing knee that has kept him out of the lineup for two games.

Both Marsh and coach Mike Benevides agreed the defensive back has not progressed to where he would be able to play Saturday against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, though he arrived for a workout at the team’s practice facility Wednesday and will undergo further medical testing Thursday.

But rundowns and walkthroughs before and after games have become an issue for the Lions, who told Jabar Westerman to stay home Aug. 23 when he missed a pre-game event. Khalif Mitchell also famously missed a pre-game gathering the day before the 2011 Grey Cup, Buono’s last game as coach.

The league’s collective bargaining agreement with the CFL Players Association makes it virtually pointless for a club to fine a player or put him on its suspended list, said Buono, contending the player usually would win an appeal and get a game cheque regardless.

But the Lions are attempting to make a point, which would have been worse, Buono said, if Benevides hadn’t gone to bat on behalf of his veteran to merely keep him on the one-game injured list.

“His status is unchanged. He’s taking care of personal business. His business is rehab. We’ve asked the player to stay away for a week,” said Buono.

“It was made clear that everybody should be here for rundown and if you’re hurt and you didn’t practice, you need to be here for treatment (during the bye week) because there’s an obligation to the club. If a player chooses to go home, that’s his choice. But ... it’s not a week of vacation.”

In an interview Wednesday, Marsh said it wasn’t precisely clear why he was being asked to stay away and then back-tracked in a follow-up discussion.

He said he hopes to be ready when the Lions travel to play the Edmonton Eskimos next week to retake his spot in the lineup, which was being filled by rookie Ronnie Yell until he too was injured.

T.J. Lee will play Marsh’s spot again Saturday, but the veteran has also been around long enough to know that Buono has made examples of players with his lineage in the off-season and knows how to behave.

“I’m not going to rock the boat,” said Marsh, who claimed he booked the flight because of a calendar given to players and staff by the club prior to the season.

“My time is still now. I’m not going to complain. I’ve been Mr. B.C. Lion, and if you don’t feel I’m serviceable you can release me and I can sign with another team. This is where I want to be. The story hasn’t been finished but if they want to go in another direction, it’s business. I’m not going to be a distraction.”

Benevides, who wasn’t available to discuss Marsh, has enough other lineup issues these days, but may have solved one when he had Marco Iannuzzi returning punts again at practice Wednesday.

B.C. is looking for a way to keep rookie Lavasier Tuinei in the lineup for a second straight game and give the Lions three import receivers. Dropping returner Tim Brown would be one way to help the passing game.

Benevides confirmed another rookie, Keola Antolin, will start at tailback, as Stefan Logan (groin) is still not ready to return. What the Lions won’t do, said Benevides, is tinker with the offensive line and will keep the current group together for the fourth straight game.

“I’m not changing our O-line,” Benevides said. “The strength of our offence is protect and throw.”

The strength of the Lions coach, on the other hand, rests in the team’s ability to police its players at a critical point this season, which is why Marsh is on a paid holiday.

lullrich@theprovince.com
Well the Lions certainly can't be accussed of being soft on their players, IMO. Message sent to all when sent to a vet. Personally, love watching Marsh play and look forward to seeing him back in orange.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What is a run down ?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:What is a run down ?
Not being sarcastic but its the opposite of the walkthrough. IIRC, the practice the day before is often called the walkthrough and maybe thats why the meeting afterwards is called the run down? I watched the video of Benevides post-Redblack game and HE MADE IT CLEAR...rundown @ 10 AM....

here is the link to the video where Benevides says (at the 1 minute 20 second mark) "if you aren't there for the rundown, don't bother coming back after the bye". Benevides calls it the post game rundown...........

http://bclions.com/video/index
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The emergence of rookies Ronnie Yell and T.J. Lee may in fact mean that Marsh is in his final season as a Lion. I'm guessing that the two young guys are faster and play for less $ than Marsh.