CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:I need an opinion of a particular penalty that was called. Winnipeg ( Washington ) was called for RP on a hit on Stamps in the endzone where Winnipeg ( Johnson ) had knocked down the pass.

Do you agree with the penalty call?
Absolutely not.....the hit was with the shoulder to the chest area immediately after the ball arrived (although knocked away).....helmet/head not involved. On a completed pass into the endzone, the only way to stop a TD is to hit the receiver hard enough that he doesn't hold onto the ball......perfectly executed football play by Washington.

By the way, there was a tweet last night with a picture of Stamps leaving the stadium, post game, on a stretcher and an oxygen mask.....hope he's Ok.
I wonder if the fact he was the second guy in to lay a smack on Stamps, somewhat later than the first guy, had anything to do with it? They pretty much always let it go if one guy gets a shot in or two guys crunch him at once. But the second guy in this case came in just a little later (not much, mind you) and got the flag. I felt they might have let it go had he acted alone on the play.

This was in the Tor Sun on Tuesday:
CFL coaches and execs give their anonymous thoughts on what they’re talking about behind closed doors:

...The refs are throwing flags on everything that’s close...
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/15/cf ... nto-market
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:I need an opinion of a particular penalty that was called. Winnipeg ( Washington ) was called for RP on a hit on Stamps in the endzone where Winnipeg ( Johnson ) had knocked down the pass.

Do you agree with the penalty call?
Absolutely not.....the hit was with the shoulder to the chest area immediately after the ball arrived (although knocked away).....helmet/head not involved. On a completed pass into the endzone, the only way to stop a TD is to hit the receiver hard enough that he doesn't hold onto the ball......perfectly executed football play by Washington.

By the way, there was a tweet last night with a picture of Stamps leaving the stadium, post game, on a stretcher and an oxygen mask.....hope he's Ok.
It wasn't a completed pass or about to be a completed pass though?
There was no way for Washington to know if the pass was going to be deflected by his comrade. When he committed to the hit, he was coming at a 90 degree angle to the play and the ball was still in the air.
Lloyd
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I understand that Washington couldn't be certain but I watched the replay several times.

Dunigan commented that it was RP then immediately switched to close call followed by the refs call that consistently.

If Washington had been the 1st DB to make contact or if the receiver was touching the ball, I think no RP.

What I saw ( even as a Bomber fan ) was Washington take a step and a half and hit a defenseless receiver with no chance at the ball. While it's true he may not have been able or risk that Stamps would come with the ball. The reality is that RP is being called on the 2nd man in when the receiver is not touching the ball.

Slightly late by a step is still late and I support protecting a receiver in that way.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

RedBlacks leading the Argos 9-7 in their home opener. Could have had a bigger lead but Kierre Johnson dropped a sure touchdown when he was wide open
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good game in Ottawa.

Many key drops.

Kierrie Johnson.

Drops'em Collins.

Chiles drops two.

Ottawa wins. Cool.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Think Ottawa will win at home.
:wink:
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

A very similar RP called on D Anderson on his hit on a vulnerable receiver with no chance to catch the ball.

BTW. How did the refs NOT call a RP on the 2nd to last play when Ottawa struck R Ray in the head?
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:A very similar RP called on D Anderson on his hit on a vulnerable receiver with no chance to catch the ball.

BTW. How did the refs NOT call a RP on the 2nd to last play when Ottawa struck R Ray in the head?
Anderson's helmet came up and hit the receiver in the chin.

The officiating is just all over the place this weekend......RP calls when the dlineman laying on the ground reaches out and tackles the QB around the legs......ridiculous. Sherman launches himself and hits Reilly in the helmet with his hand.....no call. Tonight on the botched field goal, Tasker is nailed with a direct helmet to helmet hit....no call.

How does the league expect players to govern themselves accordingly when the officiating seems clueless and erratic.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:A very similar RP called on D Anderson on his hit on a vulnerable receiver with no chance to catch the ball.

Anderson's helmet came up and hit the receiver in the chin.

The officiating is just all over the place this weekend......RP calls when the dlineman laying on the ground reaches out and tackles the QB around the legs......ridiculous. Sherman launches himself and hits Reilly in the helmet with his hand.....no call. Tonight on the botched field goal, Tasker is nailed with a direct helmet to helmet hit....no call.

How does the league expect players to govern themselves accordingly when the officiating seems clueless and erratic.
Tasker isn't a QB, but that hit has to be called when they call the Stamps RP on Musoli with a slight hit by falling on him after he was just tackled. Don't touch the QB and he gets back up like Reily did yesterday, after he dove down, players bypass him vs even touch him and he gets back up...
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another typical Andre Proulx game. :bang: Inconsistent officiating.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Another typical Andre Proulx game. :bang: Inconsistent officiating.
So you are saying that he is consistent at that? :cool: :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Another typical Andre Proulx game. :bang: Inconsistent officiating.
So you are saying that he is consistent at that? :cool: :wink:
Yes, I suppose you can say that. He is consistently inconsistent.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

Obviously Lions games ARE my goto game of the week but this Battle of Alberta matchup will be a highlight too. Riders are the odd team out as every other western team is in a divisional battle (Riders hosting the Boatmen).

I get why Jones is shutting down practices. I have to admit I was one of a few Lionbackers who :rotf: when we heard the 4-0 predictions coming out of the Edmonton media. I was wrong and I hope the streak ends this week. Not that I want the Stamps to do well either but I hope neither team gets out to a big lead in the division. I know space can be made up later in the year but this is an even tighter division now we have our beloved :wink: BlueBombers back.......
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

Obviously Lions games ARE my goto game of the week but this Battle of Alberta matchup will be a highlight too. Riders are the odd team out as every other western team is in a divisional battle (Riders hosting the Boatmen).

I get why Jones is shutting down practices. I have to admit I was one of a few Lionbackers who :rotf: when we heard the 4-0 predictions coming out of the Edmonton media. I was wrong and I hope the streak ends this week. Not that I want the Stamps to do well either but I hope neither team gets out to a big lead in the division. I know space can be made up later in the year but this is an even tighter division now we have our beloved :wink: BlueBombers back.......
Winners of both those games are going to help out their situation for the remainder of the season, but it does show how big each and every game against a Western opponent is vital to the standings. There shouldn't be a weak sister in the West looking at how the West has done to date, and with the Lions regaining their balance after the opening two games. The Riders are the real surprise here so far, but I doubt that they remain in last by seasons end.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/ne ... 028eca2230

Read this yesterday in the Vancouver Sun. The sports section was an all-round DOWNER as the backpage had an eloquent article describing the life/times of James Garner (Maverick/Rockford Files). Garner was found dead in his home Saturday.

Anyway, this piece outlined that in the reporters opinion how BORING the CFL had been so far.

IMO, highscoring games are not necessarily the ONLY entertaining ones. I guess the author doesn't claim that but it certainly does seem to be a thread in the piece. I'm going to wait a few more weeks before I label this season as a 'snorefest'. It has been nice seeing some struggling teams (Esks, Bombers) and the expansion Redblacks certainly do well, IMO, considering where I thought they'd be at this point in the season. The post-labour day games are where the proof ends up in the pudding, I guess.