CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Ottawa has to wait for a win. Who would have thought that the Edmonton/Winnipeg game would be the game of the week going in...wow what a start for both teams, although I think that the Peg was lucky last week.
Yup, quite a few of us, myself included, were chuckling at the 4-0 start the Esks were supposed to have. Now they are one game away from getting it done....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A preference for hoodies is the only thing Belichek and Benevides has in common .... and that their surnames begin with "B"
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

In a battle of undefeated teams, Edmonton leading Winnipeg 13-3 at the half. Bombers didn't get their initial first down til 2 minutes remaining in the half
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

26-3 final. Edmonton defence dominating. 5 sacks on Drew Willy. Lots of penalties on both sides.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:26-3 final. Edmonton defence dominating. 5 sacks on Drew Willy. Lots of penalties on both sides.
4 - 0 Eskimos, I would have never thought that would be the case, but the Esks vulnerability is in their N depth. If they sustain any real injuries to onr and for sure two N's, they will drop off significantly.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I thought Edmonton would win this one.

Their 4-0 record has reminded me that last season Esks big problem was that they couldn't finish games and lost the lead and tight games by small amounts. So they were a better team last season than their record indicated and so with new and vastly improved coaching, the Esks are now the real deal.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Me thinks they're peaking too early :wink:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Congrats to Edmonton, and to Chris Jones. And Mike Reilly fully deserves to play for a good Head Coach, one that can provide him with decent protection. What Reilly went through last year was horrible. Reilly gained a ton of yards on the ground once again.

How hard is it going to be to catch the Schmos this year, and beat them out of a playoff spot?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

To those who watched the game, HOW WELL COACHED is that EDM team? Wow...Chris Jones has done an amazing job...and you can even see his presence with the offence...as a Defensive Guru, Jones knows the only way to successfully defeat a good, aggressive defence is to TAKE WHAT THEY ARE GIVING AWAY FOR FREE...look at Reilly...his success is NOT going to his head...he plays within himself and that EDM offensive simply takes what the defences are giving away...I hate to say this, but EDM is such a fun team to watch because they do all the little things well...and what a defence!!!

Chris Jones, IMO, the runaway MVP of the CFL so far in 2014...cannot say enough about how well that team is coached...and we are NOWHERE close to EDM.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I need an opinion of a particular penalty that was called. Winnipeg ( Washington ) was called for RP on a hit on Stamps in the endzone where Winnipeg ( Johnson ) had knocked down the pass.

Do you agree with the penalty call?
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:I need an opinion of a particular penalty that was called. Winnipeg ( Washington ) was called for RP on a hit on Stamps in the endzone where Winnipeg ( Johnson ) had knocked down the pass.

Absolutely not.....the hit was with the shoulder to the chest area immediately after the ball arrived (although knocked away).....helmet/head not involved. On a completed pass into the endzone, the only way to stop a TD is to hit the receiver hard enough that he doesn't hold onto the ball......perfectly executed football play by Washington.

By the way, there was a tweet last night with a picture of Stamps leaving the stadium, post game, on a stretcher and an oxygen mask.....hope he's Ok.
Lloyd
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:To those who watched the game, HOW WELL COACHED is that EDM team? Wow...Chris Jones has done an amazing job...and you can even see his presence with the offence...as a Defensive Guru, Jones knows the only way to successfully defeat a good, aggressive defence is to TAKE WHAT THEY ARE GIVING AWAY FOR FREE...look at Reilly...his success is NOT going to his head...he plays within himself and that EDM offensive simply takes what the defences are giving away...I hate to say this, but EDM is such a fun team to watch because they do all the little things well...and what a defence!!!

Chris Jones, IMO, the runaway MVP of the CFL so far in 2014...cannot say enough about how well that team is coached...and we are NOWHERE close to EDM.
Funny....I noticed Jones, on the sideline, chewing out Chambers after he ran the wrong route......a little later he was chewing out an assistant coach for some other reason. I guess that's Ok for Chris Jones.
Lloyd
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:To those who watched the game, HOW WELL COACHED is that EDM team? Wow...Chris Jones has done an amazing job...and you can even see his presence with the offence...as a Defensive Guru, Jones knows the only way to successfully defeat a good, aggressive defence is to TAKE WHAT THEY ARE GIVING AWAY FOR FREE...look at Reilly...his success is NOT going to his head...he plays within himself and that EDM offensive simply takes what the defences are giving away...I hate to say this, but EDM is such a fun team to watch because they do all the little things well...and what a defence!!!

Funny....I noticed Jones, on the sideline, chewing out Chambers after he ran the wrong route......a little later he was chewing out an assistant coach for some other reason. I guess that's Ok for Chris Jones.
It doesn't surprise me. He has more than that performance oriented edge to him.

Chewing guys out incessantly and constantly works for a while but too much and they tune him out.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:I need an opinion of a particular penalty that was called. Winnipeg ( Washington ) was called for RP on a hit on Stamps in the endzone where Winnipeg ( Johnson ) had knocked down the pass.

Absolutely not.....the hit was with the shoulder to the chest area immediately after the ball arrived (although knocked away).....helmet/head not involved. On a completed pass into the endzone, the only way to stop a TD is to hit the receiver hard enough that he doesn't hold onto the ball......perfectly executed football play by Washington.

By the way, there was a tweet last night with a picture of Stamps leaving the stadium, post game, on a stretcher and an oxygen mask.....hope he's Ok.
It wasn't a completed pass or about to be a completed pass though?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Lloyd I didn't see those incidents with Jones, so thanks for pointing them out...that style of coaching only works if you follow through with your threats...Jones strikes me as the type that absolutely means it...there will be consequences to those that don't execute what Jone's wants...thats accountability and you can create in a variety of ways...but I personally don't like ripping out players or coaching in public...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein