CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Montreal won the battle of last place teams 20-10 over Ottawa. The Als are 2-6, their other only win came against the Lions.
It's come quite close a couple times already but their attendance dipped below 20k tonight for the first time this season.

So far they've had:

20,018 (Week 2 vs BC)
20,348 (Week 3 vs Wpg)
20,692 (Week 6 vs Tor)
20,054 (Week 7 vs Edm)
19,440 (Week 10 vs Ott)
————
20,110 (mean)

Their smallest crowd last year was 22,068. Tonight's crowd was also their smallest since 18,199 attended over 15yrs ago on July 22, 1999 (Wpg 18 @ Mtl 30), at a time when Molson Stadium capacity was only 19,461.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Anthony Allen rushes 15yds to score a last-minute game-winning TD and hand Ssk a 35-30 decision over Wpg. Ten Labour Day weekend wins in a row for Ssk.

Shouldn't TSN be offering a post-game show now that they've gone to five channels? Since the game ended they've had the same NASCAR race on TSN1 and TSN5, and the same US Open tennis match on TSN2 and TSN4.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Anthony Allen rushes 15yds to score a last-minute game-winning TD and hand Ssk a 35-30 decision over Wpg. Ten Labour Day weekend wins in a row for Ssk.

Shouldn't TSN be offering a post-game show now that they've gone to five channels? Since the game ended they've had the same NASCAR race on TSN1 and TSN5, and the same US Open tennis match on TSN2 and TSN4.
I'd watch one (a post-game show) depending on the game. Or at least a weekly wrap up after the last game of the week? Next Sunday (okay technically Thursdays the kickoff but thats just one game Seahawks/Packers) a big slate of NFL games will be played and they break down MOST of the games in detail and at least show highlights of some of the 'forgetables'. I'd be all over a weekly 30 minute (or longer) wrap up of the weeks games......
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

For some reason Chris Berman and Cris Carter are at the Ticats game, now chatting with Black and Forde in the broadcast booth. Which seems to be among the unfinished parts of the building — looks like they're standing inside a tent.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:For some reason Chris Berman and Cris Carter are at the Ticats game, now chatting with Black and Forde in the broadcast booth. Which seems to be among the unfinished parts of the building — looks like they're standing inside a tent.

That was John Saunders who was with Boomer, not Carter. Saunders has been an ESPN mainstay for nearly 30 years. I never realized until today that Saunders is a Canadian from southern Ontario. His brother Bernie had a couple of short cups of coffee in the NHL with the Quebec Nordique.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Saunders_(journalist)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hamilton wins their home opener 13-12. Ti-Cats fumbled with about 30 seconds giving the Argos an opportunity to win the game but the defence held.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Hamilton wins their home opener 13-12. Ti-Cats fumbled with about 30 seconds giving the Argos an opportunity to win the game but the defence held.
Is that just another penalty that the refs missed? :wink: :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Calgary leading Edmonton 15-10 at the half. Jon Cornish having himself a good game.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Calgary leading Edmonton 15-10 at the half. Jon Cornish having himself a good game.
I had pencilled this game in as the one to watch this weekend, but I am having a hard time to keep my attention on the game. Not like the good old days when the Esks fans would get a section to fill, coming down in bus loads and up the anti in the LD game. That usually spilled onto the field and it was a physical battle, whereas today's game doesn't seem to mean as much to the players.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
sj-roc wrote:For some reason Chris Berman and Cris Carter are at the Ticats game, now chatting with Black and Forde in the broadcast booth. Which seems to be among the unfinished parts of the building — looks like they're standing inside a tent.

That was John Saunders who was with Boomer, not Carter. Saunders has been an ESPN mainstay for nearly 30 years. I never realized until today that Saunders is a Canadian from southern Ontario. His brother Bernie had a couple of short cups of coffee in the NHL with the Quebec Nordique.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Saunders_(journalist)
Thanks for the correction. I'd never even heard of JS; he kinda looked like CC so that's who I went with, but the whole time I was thinking, "Huh, he looks older from how I recall him." When it was over I googled his age... "48? Gee, he looked more like 58." JS as it turns out is 59.
South Pender
Legend

Wow, Stampeders looked good. Cornish goes for 163 yards on 17 carries, for a 9.6 yds./carry average. Bo Levi hits on 62% for 252 yards against a good D. Looks as if the Stamps are the class of the CFL at the moment.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Loved the pic of the Stamps players who took their photo with Jone's bike......

Really hoped for a more of a western showdown but Reilly was not the QB for the ESks. Hope he heals up or will this rematch be a dud.....?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

BC @ Ott ... Take the Lions

Cal @ Edm ... Hmmm ... Can the Eskies beat the Stamps? Sure.

Ham @ Mon ... Hamilton to win

Sas @ Win ... Make or break for Winterpeg. Take the Peg.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TSN football analyst Chris Schultz is back with his Week 11 selections in the CFL. The Big Man finished 4-0 in Week 10, and sits at 25-16 on the season in Schultz vs. The World. Now Schultz is ready for more action, including his pick of the Bombers beating the Roughriders in the game of the week.

Calgary at Edmonton

Satisfaction for the Stampeders and urgency for the Eskimos. Eskimos QB Mike Reilly should be back and it will make a difference. The last time Edmonton lost to Calgary, they came back and played their best game of the year, beating Montreal 33-23. The Eskimos must do a better job on John Cornish and within the defensive front seven as a group. After watching the Labour Day September 1 game, I anticipate a better Eskimo performance. It is tough to beat the same team two times in five days and although by the 4th, it turned into an easy Stampeders quarter, this one could be different. Edmonton over Calgary in game three of the season series.

BC at Ottawa

The Redblacks have one win against the Argos and that was way back on July 18 and was by one point. The Lions are coming off a loss and the bye week, so lots of time to get healthy and think of the loss. I am interested to see how much Travis Lulay will play and how effective he will be. With 10 weeks to go and nine games to play, the decision could be a critical one. The Reblacks are looking for players and looking for wins. The Lions know about their players and need a win to keep pace in the very competitive West . Got to go with logic… Lions win.

Hamilton at Montreal

Yes, Zach Collaros had a good game this week and the Ticats defense had a great game, not allowing a field goal to Toronto in the 4th quarter. A new confident football team in Hamilton but so is Montreal. Both teams on defense have played well and it will get down to offenses and execution. This will be Jonathan Crompton's third start in a row, while Collaros will begin his second. The running back combination of Tyrell Sutton and Brandon Whitaker could make the difference for Montreal. Ryan Dinwiddie did a good job last week keeping them involved in the offense and I expect the same this week. Hamilton has the more experienced and polished quarterback but overall, Montreal has the better team. Montreal in the 4th by 3.

Saskatchewan at Winnipeg

Round 2. I think this will be the best game of Week 11. Urgency is huge for Winnipeg. At 6-4, they are behind Edmonton, Saskatchewan and Calgary but only one game ahead of BC. With the Lions playing at Ottawa, any cooperation from the Redblacks is unlikely, so to stay in the fourth place position and avoid a tie, this is the game to win for the Bombers. Yes, the Bombers must stop the Riders' run game and must keep it close going into the 4th to give Drew Willy the opportunity for his fifth 4th quarter win, but it may not be necessary as the highest scoring team in the league is the Blue Bombers with 260 points. Winnipeg over Saskatchewan in the 4th.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From Mike Beamish in the Sun ...
Ottawa’s defence, which spends an inordinate amount of time on the field, attempting to atone for the inefficiencies of the Redblacks’ attack, has yielded an average of 5.9 yards per rush after nine games. The Lions are slightly better -- just-- in allowing 5.8 yards per attempt.

Overall, the Lions’ defence is ranked seventh against the rush (yielding an average 117.8 yards to opponents), just ahead of Winnipeg (118.0) and last-place Ottawa (134.6).

“I don’t think that stat is worrisome at all,” explained Lions linebacker Solomon Elimimian following Wednesday’s practice in Surrey. “Those things can be corrected. The biggest thing we need to focus on is gap control. It’s not the fact we’re getting overpowered. It has nothing to do with our physicality. I think our defence is the most physical in the CFL. It’s us understanding where the gaps are supposed to be, and filling those gaps.”
Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... z3CNtXiMrI

As mentioned numerous times, it seems we are playing a somewhat conservative defensive style. Not much blitzing. Mostly DL rushing the QB. LBs with pass priority coverage duties. Perhaps no surprise we are not high in turnovers. And we seem to focus on pass defence/coverage more than run stopping.

With our robust front four, and with Solo and Biggie, it seems to me we should be league leaders in stopping the run.

In any case, glad to hear Solo is healthy. :thup: