CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:During his appearance with Sekeres in 1040 this morning, Skulsky mentioned the redemption rate for GWN comps was about 65%, which — based on the announced attendance of 33,196 for that game — works out to ~21.6k freebies handed out by the club. Subtract this from the total 2014 gate (252,101), and the average "paid" attendance this year, if you want to call it that, was actually 25,614 (cf. 28,011 in the chart above), which is down 9.53% from 2013 attendance (cf. —1.06% in the chart). The league-wide change from 2013 would move from —6.37% to —7.35%.

Not sure what the average price of the redeemed tickets would have been but let's say $70; then the promotion ended up costing the team about $1.5M.
Thanks for that. I wondered about the redemption rate. The GWN didn't cost the team anything except the cost of tickets that would have been purchased by people who redeemed freebies. How many of those 21,600 people who used freebie tickets would have purchased single-game tickets instead? I gave mine to people who wouldn't otherwise have attended a game.

Year-to-year comparisons are difficult because ticketing policies change from year to year. For example, instead of giving free tickets as contra to sponsors and advertisers as in the past, the Lions have discontinued that practice and have instead paid full price for services from suppliers and sponsors and have sold tickets at face value. This year's announced attendance, therefore, other than the GWN is generally paid attendance and is not papered as in the past.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
sj-roc wrote:During his appearance with Sekeres in 1040 this morning, Skulsky mentioned the redemption rate for GWN comps was about 65%, which — based on the announced attendance of 33,196 for that game — works out to ~21.6k freebies handed out by the club. Subtract this from the total 2014 gate (252,101), and the average "paid" attendance this year, if you want to call it that, was actually 25,614 (cf. 28,011 in the chart above), which is down 9.53% from 2013 attendance (cf. —1.06% in the chart). The league-wide change from 2013 would move from —6.37% to —7.35%.

Not sure what the average price of the redeemed tickets would have been but let's say $70; then the promotion ended up costing the team about $1.5M.
Thanks for that. I wondered about the redemption rate. The GWN didn't cost the team anything except the cost of tickets that would have been purchased by people who redeemed freebies. How many of those 21,600 people who used freebie tickets would have purchased single-game tickets instead? I gave mine to people who wouldn't otherwise have attended a game.

Year-to-year comparisons are difficult because ticketing policies change from year to year. For example, instead of giving free tickets as contra to sponsors and advertisers as in the past, the Lions have discontinued that practice and have instead paid full price for services from suppliers and sponsors and have sold tickets at face value. This year's announced attendance, therefore, other than the GWN is generally paid attendance and is not papered as in the past.
Good point — the $1.5M only represents the nominal value of the dispensed tickets, not an actual realised loss. You'd also have to subtract the extra sales for the GWN game that were triggered by the promotion itself that would otherwise not have occurred (it was, after all, the 4th-highest attended game in the entire league to that point of the season, and only a few hundred from 2nd-highest, at a time of the year before 30k crowds start to become more common).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

sj-roc wrote:
sj-roc wrote:...attendance...was down over 6% leaguewide this year from last with only Ham, having its low 2013 base from which to build, posting much of an increase. Edm and Cgy also posted modest increases.

During his appearance with Sekeres in 1040 this morning, Skulsky mentioned the redemption rate for GWN comps was about 65%, which — based on the announced attendance of 33,196 for that game — works out to ~21.6k freebies handed out by the club. Subtract this from the total 2014 gate (252,101), and the average "paid" attendance this year, if you want to call it that, was actually 25,614 (cf. 28,011 in the chart above), which is down 9.53% from 2013 attendance (cf. —1.06% in the chart). The league-wide change from 2013 would move from —6.37% to —7.35%.

When you are coming up with the $1.5M cost, are you assuming that all of the fans that got in free due to GWN would have bought a ticket and gone to a game without GWN? If that is the case, then I strongly disagree. I think the GWN insured larger than normal crowds that were there only because of the free ticket.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
sj-roc wrote:...attendance...was down over 6% leaguewide this year from last with only Ham, having its low 2013 base from which to build, posting much of an increase. Edm and Cgy also posted modest increases.

During his appearance with Sekeres in 1040 this morning, Skulsky mentioned the redemption rate for GWN comps was about 65%, which — based on the announced attendance of 33,196 for that game — works out to ~21.6k freebies handed out by the club. Subtract this from the total 2014 gate (252,101), and the average "paid" attendance this year, if you want to call it that, was actually 25,614 (cf. 28,011 in the chart above), which is down 9.53% from 2013 attendance (cf. —1.06% in the chart). The league-wide change from 2013 would move from —6.37% to —7.35%.

When you are coming up with the $1.5M cost, are you assuming that all of the fans that got in free due to GWN would have bought a ticket and gone to a game without GWN? If that is the case, then I strongly disagree. I think the GWN insured larger than normal crowds that were there only because of the free ticket.
Did you read past this post? I already addressed this.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sorry, I missed the explanation that what you are referring to as a lose is not an actual loss.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Brandon Banks' spectacular 93 punt return with less than a minute in the half gives Hamilton 20-14 lead. Banks had an earlier punt return nullified by a penalty
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Brandon Banks' spectacular 93 punt return with less than a minute in the half gives Hamilton 20-14 lead. Banks had an earlier punt return nullified by a penalty
I thought he sulked a bit too much after the first one came back, but it's been a pretty good game so far: ample scoring, several lead changes, a few big plays — like the PRs above and a couple of turnovers.

EDIT: A lot of playoff inexperience among the QBs in the final four this year. According to TSN this year's WF is the first in 61 years to feature two QBs making their debut playoff starts. Among the four of them (Collaros, Crompton, Reilly, Mitchell) only one playoff start of experience going into today's action, and that was Crompton's game against us last week.

The GC-winning QB this year, whoever it turns out to be, will be someone who found ultimate success relatively early in his pro career.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hamilton now leading 27-13. Difference has been the turnovers. Two Crompton interceptions turned into 14 points for the Ti-Cats.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good game.

Credit to Austin and Higgins for the turnarounds this year.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Three years as a Head Coach for Kent Austin, three years in the Grey Cup.

Some have questioned, is he that good?

I know he is abrasive, sometimes snarly with the media, but IMO he is just one outstanding coach.

We should be so lucky.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Happy for Jeff Reinbold also. Wild guy, loose wire, had some health issues.

Saw him present at a clinic, when he ran STs for the Lions back in the day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

40-24 final. Brandon Banks had 2 punt returns for touchdowns.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm happy for Hamilton and their long-suffering fans. The 1999 Grey Cup at B.C. Place had a lot of parallels with this year's Cup. Hamilton won the game after losing the Cup the previous season. That was a good game. This one should be entertaining as well. Brandon Banks is worth the price of admission alone. I know who I'll be cheering for next week.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Calgary seeking their 4th straight win over Edmonton this season is off to a 14-1 lead in the 2nd quarter. Some undisciplined penalties helped the Stamps on their 2nd scoring drive.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Neither MTL nor HAM were purrfect, but both are good football teams and both would have blown the Lions out of the stadium with their play and intensity. Both have growing pains at QB, but both QBs look like they are going to make it, just need these key games and reps to grow as players...both are going to be VERY GOOD next season...look around the league, including in OTT, they are good coaching staffs everywhere, and as they all find their talent, the proper players in the right spots, with consistent QB, they are going to be tough to beat...

This is what the Lions are up against...we need to assemble a coaching staff on par with Austin/Steinhauer...with Huff/DD...with Chris Jones...with Chambliss/Hall/Cortez...this is what we are truly up against!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein