CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ott at Tor

Cal at BC

Mon at Ham

Edm at Sas

Toronto to win

Cal at BC. Has a team ever tanked, given up? Sure. That is a deep psychological matter, on an idividual basis, but I would say yes. And it is not necessarily done consciously. Get disgusted enough and people go free fall. Can that happen here? I would say we mailed that last effort in. Far, far from the maximum effort needed to win most football games. Do we play to keep our jobs? Yes, but a team hitting on all cylinders has incredible motivation and determination. A team with a morale problem cannot match that. That was about how bad we looked versus Edmonton.

Ever pound another team as a coach or player? The winning coach and players know the losing team did not have the heart to win that time out. And this is all the worse if the coach has lost the team. Has Benny lost the team? Close, I would think. But the players do have pride, and they have jobs on the line.

I would say that the Eskimos quit on Kavis Reed last year. No spirit. Same players this year. Different attitude as a team. Not suggesting we are at that bad point as a team. But it ain't pretty. Very, very bad when the GM feels he has to publicy criticize his Head Coach for not coaching well. Not good the situation with a veteran like Dante Marsh, treated like a cancer for what seems like a minor misunderstanding. No call on the game.

Mon at Ham. Wow. Tough call. Ham to win to enter the playoffs. Toronto out.

Edmonton to win.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'm going to go out on a limb and PICK THE REDBLACKS....

Its their last game of the season and a road game. The Redblacks are WINLESS on the road so far.....

THe ARGOS MUST WIN. The only problem.....looking like Ricky Ray might be sitting.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/milanovich-expe ... y-1.126076
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Quick glance ...

Marsh at CB, and Yell

Jamall J at LB

Dixon at DT with Mitchell

Olson at DE

Lohr on the 46

Adekolu on the 46

Quality of snapshot poor due to size restrictions of this website ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Rodu
Champion

is our d line that banged up or are we just checking out some new guys?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rodu wrote:is our d line that banged up or are we just checking out some new guys?
Khreem Smith definitely has a rib issue. He was struggling against Edmonton. The D-line has not performed well in recent weeks. I think most of the other substitutions are to check out new guys and get some ideas of who to bring back next year.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

:dizzy: Brainfart on my part. I thought with Ricky Ray riding the pine due to recovery from a concussion that the Argos were ripe for the picking. IMO, they haven't looked very good WITH this CFL legend being their starting QB so it only made sense (using my twisted logic) :bang: , maybe THIS COULD be the REDBLACKS day.

Well Smiling Hank was certainly not and the Redblacks QB's just looked awful in what little of the game I saw before setting out for the MASTERPIECE, end of season game at BC Place between our DANGEROUS BC LIONS :wink: and the beatable Stamps... :dizzy:

The way this week is going look for the Eskimos and Ticats to lose BIG, because I picked them both to WIN..... :dizzy:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ham has beaten Mtl 29-9 today to claim first place in the East and EF hosting rights. Mtl has been relegated to 2nd and will host whoever crosses over, while the Argos will miss the playoffs.

Edm@Ssk is on deck to decide who Mtl's crossover opponent will be — either the Riders if they win, or us otherwise.

Apparently there was an altercation in Ssk during pregame warmups.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ssk leading Edm 16-4 at the half on the strength of two TDs. The first was a 1yd QB keeper from Kerry Joseph. The other came on a somewhat broken play, an 18yd rush from former Lion Korey Williams who took the handoff, collided with a teammate in the backfield and nearly hit the deck — before righting himself and finding the endzone. It was a three-play TD drive set up by an Edm fumble, just as it looked like they'd passed themselves out of trouble for 30yds and a first down on a 2nd & 21 from their own 5.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder who the Lions are cheering for ?
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Wonder who the Lions are cheering for ?
Starting to look like the Esks want to play the Riders and not the Lions...
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Montreal here we come. From 1st, to 3rd to 4th. Good job coach Bene :tp:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ssk has added a TD (40yd pass from Tino Sunseri to Rob Bagg) and a MFG rouge, and Edm a 22yd FG to make it 24-7 at the end of Q3. Ssk with 181yds rushing through 45mins.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Wonder who the Lions are cheering for ?
Starting to look like the Esks want to play the Riders and not the Lions...
And the Riders look like they want to play the Esks again. That should be good for ticket sales anyway.

I'm OK with the Lions facing Montreal in the crossover. The travel and time change won't be easy but I think the Lions' chances of victory are better in the East.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

With a 24-10 lead Ssk fumbled the ball away deep in their own end to Edm to set up a short TD drive to pull Edm within seven with about 2:30 remaining. They kicked it away and forced a 2 & out but fumbled the punt back to Ssk to set them up on the Edm 43.

Another Ssk score to make it a two-score game would have finished it off after the Ssk fumble created some extra drama. But they end up punting and pin Edm deep at their own 5 with under a minute left.

They drive as far as their own 32 before trying an onside punt on the final play but it fails as time expires to preserve the 24-17 Ssk win and the playoff field is set:

WSF: Ssk @ Edm
ESF: BC @ Mtl
WF: @Cgy
EF: @Ham
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Here is a real Head Coach. Real credentials. Highest level of experience both as a player and as a coach.

Not loved by his players? Perhaps. But it starts with respect. Respect for the leadership.

But one can see that on occasion, not after every single catch, or good play, player and coach share some speical moments. Not manufactured. Not needy. Not needing an embrace. But on occasion.

Xs an Os mastery. Building confidence. Competitive. In the moment. Aware, not distracted. Not posturing. Not ragging on the referees. Not raggging on assistants. Not high fiving twenty times a game. Not really even cheer leading. But leading nevertheless. Leading and building.