CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Current poll on cfl.ca right now is a little strange: Which CFL head coach do you think can cook the best game-day chilli? Three guesses who's leading. Was there some (vaguely?) related news story I missed that might have triggered such an odd poll question?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Tor didn't do us (or themselves I suppose) any favours last night. I didn't get to watch any of it what with being en route to our game but I see they had a huge 29-3 lead in Cgy through the first 28 minutes — narrowed to 29-10 by the half — and then let it slip away in the second half with a 40-33 loss. I hear BLM sustained a leg injury in Q4 and didn't return. Another QB injury that the league doesn't need if he doesn't return next week.

Ham came through today with a solid 28-3 thrashing of Ssk in welcoming Tino Sunseri to the ranks of starting CFL QBs; he was sacked five times and held to just 88 yds passing on just 9 (of 21) completions.
To be honest I wasn't that surprised to see the Argos stumble their way to a loss. Mitchell's injury was a little gruesome and now Tate gets to prove he's the guy.

Hamilton looked good in the parts of the game I saw. Sunseri seemed slow/behind his recievers. Look to Cortez to use a heavy dose of run game. IMO, the Riders have the nastiest, cheapest and effective O-line. Giving cheap shots after the whistle etc...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good weekend for the Lions. They beat the Bombers to consolidate their playoff position and gain on the Riders.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Good weekend for the Lions. They beat the Bombers to consolidate their playoff position and gain on the Riders.
And the Bombers finally get their bye but they could come back from it even further behind. Next weekend will be a chance for us to turn the screws a little tighter........
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Big signing by the Alouettes and I mean BIG

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/article ... ice-roster
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TSN football analyst Chris Schultz is back with his Week 13 selections in the CFL. The Big Man finished 3-1 in Week 12, and sits at 31-18 on the season in Schultz vs. The World. Now Schultz is ready for more action.

Toronto at BC

There is a part of me that wants Toronto to win just because the East needs to become more respectable as the playoffs approach. The Argos' first half of the game against Calgary last week was nothing short of magnificent for Toronto. Andre Durie was effective and made a difference and Ricky Ray was smooth and accurate in probably playing his best game/half game in the entire year. The defense was exceptionally aggressive too and took it to Calgary. What happened in the second half is still a bite of a mystery but I think it was more of Calgary waking up than Toronto being complacent and satisfied with a 29 point halftime lead. The Argos stay in Calgary all week to practice, so East-West time zone change will not matter. Good enough to beat BC? I would have to assess no, not this week. Kevin Glen knows "he is the man" with the Lions. He will embrace that challenge and run with it. Should be a good game but in the end - Lions.

Edmonton at Hamilton

The Ticats are 2-0 at Tim Hortons Field! After the Argos' 13-12 win, the Ticats looked good in beating Saskatchewan 29-3. Better competition this week, with Mike Rielly an established CFL quarterback and who would ever take East over West at any time this year? I would! With a solid practice facility, meeting rooms, training room and everything that goes along with new, it may make an edge of difference. Maybe the single biggest determiner of success is how Hamilton handles Adarius Bowman. Edmonton has talent but the most talented player they have with the ball is Bowman. If he has a 10 catch game then Edmonton wins big. The first game was way back in Week 2, when Zach Collaros was knocked out by Odell Willis and the final score ended at 28-24. Can the Ticats get their just revenge? Yes they can. Hamilton over Edmonton.

Calgary at Montreal

Drew Tate will start in this one as Bo Levi Mitchell repairs his knee and ankle. You know Tate will be ready to go and is in a purrfect situation, as John Cornish is playing exceptional as a running back right now. When you have the support that Tate has, then the key is not to be the hero. Just follow the game plan and good things will happen. That is what Tate will do and that is what I think will happen -- good things. For Edmonton, game number four for Jonathan Crompton. His improvement is critical but will be taking on the league's top defense so it will be a test. But most likely no Charleston Hughes. Calgary will come into this one confident and should be. Down one half by 29 to come back to win by seven against the Argos last week? You should be confident. Tate's enthusiasm to perform and win will make an ordinary road game in September an event to win. Calgary over Montreal.

Ottawa at Saskatchewan

Dangerous game for the Riders. They may be coming off a loss and back home but Ottawa is coming off the bye week and will look at this game as the beginning of a new season. Anthony Allen, Jerome Messam and if Will Ford is healthy, could all have productive games. Ottawa has had trouble stopping running backs this year and Saskatchewan has three good ones. Henry Burris has to make the next eight games his best too, as he wants to be back next year. He has not had a great year but I do wonder what quarterback would with a team as new as Ottawa. Am I calling for an upset as Otawa goes into Regina and does what Hamilton did last Sunday? No. Let's be real. Tino Sunseri will get better this week compared to last week and Saskatchewan must keep pushing for at least one home field playoff win . I think the game will be close, as Ottawa has had their moments, but just moments. Saskatchewan pulls away in the fourth. Riders.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'm doing better than usual this year. About 5-6% better than normal and now that I've said that "LOOK OUT BELOW".

I took the same teams that Shultz did. Wait a minute, nope, I think the Esks will beat the Ticats he doesn't.

I got the Lions winning by 2. IMO, the Argos are rebounding and the Lions still have work to do. I think it'll be close (I thought the Bombers/Lions game would come to a field goal win by the Lions and I was right about the result, TOTALLY WRONG about the spread).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I think the RedBlacks will win their second game of the year against the Riders. Perhaps it's wishful thinking.
squishy35
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I think the RedBlacks will win their second game of the year against the Riders. Perhaps it's wishful thinking.

I have a feeling you are right. Ottawa's defence has been quite good. If they can keep the game low scoring, then they have a good chance to pull out the win.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

squishy35 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I think the RedBlacks will win their second game of the year against the Riders. Perhaps it's wishful thinking.

I have a feeling you are right. Ottawa's defence has been quite good. If they can keep the game low scoring, then they have a good chance to pull out the win.
Against the TiCats I expected the Riders to get the ball in Dressler's hands a lot more often then what they ended up doing. So against the REDBLACKS I suspect that they will get that fixed and thus a Riders win. OTOH I hope I am wrong.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Big signing by the Alouettes and I mean BIG

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/article ... ice-roster
Yeah, we thought that with Troy Smith too.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Maybe its new, maybe its not.....

Has anyone caught CFL 30 a show I'm guessing is like this week in baseball for MLB? A recap of many of the weeks games and previews of the weeks coming ones plus other stories. I know we get a lot of this anyways with the pregame stuff on TSN but I'm going to try an catch an episode. It was supposed to be on today around 11:30 AM but I was out at the time. It will be replaying again Friday night, probably just before Friday Night Football. IIRC, it was 6 PM, so I'll be out again getting ready for this weeks home game.

If anyones seen it or plans to, let me know how it is. If this is something extra TSN can do now that they have more channels to fill with content, I say GREAT. I mean my CFL week is just fine without it but if its on, I'll try to catch it.......
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Maybe its new, maybe its not.....

Has anyone caught CFL 30 a show I'm guessing is like this week in baseball for MLB? A recap of many of the weeks games and previews of the weeks coming ones plus other stories. I know we get a lot of this anyways with the pregame stuff on TSN but I'm going to try an catch an episode. It was supposed to be on today around 11:30 AM but I was out at the time. It will be replaying again Friday night, probably just before Friday Night Football. IIRC, it was 6 PM, so I'll be out again getting ready for this weeks home game.

If anyones seen it or plans to, let me know how it is. If this is something extra TSN can do now that they have more channels to fill with content, I say GREAT. I mean my CFL week is just fine without it but if its on, I'll try to catch it.......
First I've heard of it... just checked their listings; next airing is tomorrow (Thursday) at 5:30pPT and again 8pPT on TSN2.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:First I've heard of it... just checked their listings; next airing is tomorrow (Thursday) at 5:30pPT and again 8pPT on TSN2.
Great! Those were not on my listings. Maybe they've popped up now! I'll check, cuz I want to check it out..........
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:First I've heard of it... just checked their listings; next airing is tomorrow (Thursday) at 5:30pPT and again 8pPT on TSN2.
Great! Those were not on my listings. Maybe they've popped up now! I'll check, cuz I want to check it out..........
You're probably talking about your cable box?

You can check TSN's listings on their own website, which is where I got it:

http://www.tsn.ca/tsnschedule/#/TSN