CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: ......As for review of scores, they currently do review all scores IIRC but do they review the play in its entirety from the ref's signal to start the play clock until the whistle blows again or do they merely ascertain the plane was broken by the ball?
Wasn't there some kinda weird review involving the Argos. IIRC, the call was made and reviewed but MIlanovich challenged again and the call was changed somehow. I can't remember the details but I was baffled at the time (according to my girlfriend the baffled part happens regularily :wink: ).....

I personally don't understand how a team can challenge a play like Benevides did in the Rider game and then end up getting a penalty out of the play. Is every chop block caught? Obviously not, since no flag was thrown. So, it only gets called because BC challenged another part of the play? :dizzy:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote: ......As for review of scores, they currently do review all scores IIRC but do they review the play in its entirety from the ref's signal to start the play clock until the whistle blows again or do they merely ascertain the plane was broken by the ball?
Wasn't there some kinda weird review involving the Argos. IIRC, the call was made and reviewed but MIlanovich challenged again and the call was changed somehow. I can't remember the details but I was baffled at the time (according to my girlfriend the baffled part happens regularily :wink: ).....

I personally don't understand how a team can challenge a play like Benevides did in the Rider game and then end up getting a penalty out of the play. Is every chop block caught? Obviously not, since no flag was thrown. So, it only gets called because BC challenged another part of the play? :dizzy:
I know the one you're talking about. I was a bit rusty on the details of it myself but I was able to dig up old discussion of it amongst you, myself and Toppy from nearly two years ago, here (my post in reply to Toppy and some ff. posts) and here (your post and my reply just under it). I'll recap what's in this discussion, which ought to be correct as this was pretty fresh at the time:

Jarious (as Tor QB at the time) threw an incompletion — one of those plays where it wasn't clear whether his arm was going forward when the ball left his hand — that was initially called on the field as a live fumble (no whistle), so a Wpg defender scooped it up and ran for a TD. The play was automatically reviewed by CC (as all scores were by 2012) as valid but only re: the Wpg TD scoring aspect; nothing about the nature of the turnover was reviewed automatically, according to a remark from TSN's Dave Naylor as cited by TV (so I guess this answers my Q above). Well before Wpg lined up for the convert, SM threw his challenge flag to contest the fumble as an incompletion. Perhaps he was aware that CC would not have been looking at this part of the play, or he just wanted to make doubly sure that he got his day in court, so to speak. The ref granted the challenge and it went the Argos' way. But at the same time — and the ref even announced this in the ruling — SM would NOT be charged with one of his two challenges for having challenged this on-field fumble ruling.

The whole thing just never added up to me. The Wpg TD would have counted had SM not challenged, so why not charge the challenge? Looking back at it now at this remove, I think the ref simply erred in not charging the challenge, but that everything else went properly by the book, for better or for worse (i.e., one can debate whether the fumble should have been scrutinised in the automatic CC review, but this was not part of the protocol at the time, nor do I suppose it is now). At least, this would be the simplest interpretation. Perhaps the ref himself was under the mistaken impression that the fumble should have been examined as part of the automatic CC review?

It's been nearly two years since that Sep 2012 incident but there's evidently still bugs in the system.

Maybe jersey tugging, such as we saw in today's Ham/Mtl today and against Iannuzzi a few weeks back as you mention, simply doesn't count as PI in the eyes of the officials? What other conclusion is there to draw? :dizzy:

Speaking of jersey tugging, there was another part of that Ham/Mtl game where a Ham receiver had his jersey tugged after the catch by a Mtl defender in a tackling attempt, only to have that part of the jersey tear completely away from the receiver. Having seen a dress code violation flag get thrown before (back sometime in the 90s) I was half-expecting one after this.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CFL odds for this week ...

Mon @ Edm ... Gotta take Edm

Tor @ Cal ... No odds ... Cal to win

Win @ BC ... Take the Lions and pray.

Sas @ Ham ... Take Ham. (Sassy @ Hammy?) (Fat and Sassy @ Hammy/Piggy?) Just playing around with words ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:I know the one you're talking about. I was a bit rusty on the details of it myself but I was able to dig up old discussion of it amongst you, myself and Toppy from nearly two years ago, .......
Wow, great research, sj-roc. Sj-roc, thread detective! :rockin:

I doubt the process will never be purrfect, IMO, I'm just glad they do seem to catch MORE BLOWN calls. Not ALL of them but there are some mistakes the review process does catch (I'm sure we're all in agreement here).....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I know the one you're talking about. I was a bit rusty on the details of it myself but I was able to dig up old discussion of it amongst you, myself and Toppy from nearly two years ago, .......
Wow, great research, sj-roc. Sj-roc, thread detective! :rockin:

I doubt the process will never be purrfect, IMO, I'm just glad they do seem to catch MORE BLOWN calls. Not ALL of them but there are some mistakes the review process does catch (I'm sure we're all in agreement here).....
Wasn't that hard to find, really — since I knew I commented on it originally, I pulled up my own posts and searched for the words challenge and Argos within these. It floated out of my last couple years of verbiage pretty quickly from there.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depth chart ...

I had a hunch Cory Brandon would walk the plank. Not on any of the roster lists. On the Lions' radar for 3 years, and now ... gone.

Recruited. Evaluated. Brought in. Instant starter. And now gone. Turnstile personnel work.

Good to see T Dre Player back on the 46. Depending on how Hardrick does, I would like to see T Dre get some reps at LT. He is bigger than listed on the roster. His weight is 300.

Poblah still in for Jackson.

Good to see Westerman still here. We would miss his play.

This lineup looks relatively healthy.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

No sign of Brandon.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Cory Brandon has joined other once-promising OTs on the suspended list. Going by past experience, that likely means he walked out.
Suspended# Name Pos I/N HT WT Born College
60 Heyer, Stephon T International 6.06 320 1984-01-16 Maryland
65 Brandon, Cory T International 6.07 325 1987-10-05 Oklahoma
66 Chisolm, Garrett T International 6.06 308 1988-04-02 South Carolina
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Cory Brandon has joined other once-promising OTs on the suspended list. Going by past experience, that likely means he walked out.
Pretty soon the Lions will need to build an International suspension bridge. Not sure that I would want to cross it, as there might be too many holes on it.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Cory Brandon has joined other once-promising OTs on the suspended list. Going by past experience, that likely means he walked out.
Pretty soon the Lions will need to build an International suspension bridge. Not sure that I would want to cross it, as there might be too many holes on it.
In one of the articles, Benny said he doesn't know "what is going on there." O Line? Brandon? Enter Dan's World. Enter the Lab. Let's build a Left Tackle.
“When things aren’t going well, the leader has to be able to circle the wagons and get everyone focused,” said Lions GM Wally Buono.
“I’m not satisfied we’re a well-coached team because we’re 6-4,” said Buono ...

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
“I’m not satisfied we’re a well-coached team because we’re 6-4,” said Buono ...
And you're absolutely right Buono. You also signed him to a contract extension.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lack of scoring continues in the CFL. Montreal and Edmonton tied at 6 at the half.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Lack of scoring continues in the CFL. Montreal and Edmonton tied at 6 at the half.
The Eskimos scored 21 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to win 33-16. Thoughts of an upset were nice while they lasted.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Lack of scoring continues in the CFL. Montreal and Edmonton tied at 6 at the half.
The Eskimos scored 21 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to win 33-16. Thoughts of an upset were nice while they lasted.
It was Friday Night Snoozeball for me. Caught some :sleep: Thankfully woke up when the offenses did. Reilly is a very, very dangerous QB, IMO, but I mean dangerous to himself. The first hook slide I saw him do was so he could keep the clock running late. The guy is a competitor who wants every single inch. Like his attitude but I also want to see him playing. Also, Stamps seems to be an afterthought now in the Esks offence, how is that for a nice problem....HOW DO WE USE STAMPS :dizzy: ?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Tor didn't do us (or themselves I suppose) any favours last night. I didn't get to watch any of it what with being en route to our game but I see they had a huge 29-3 lead in Cgy through the first 28 minutes — narrowed to 29-10 by the half — and then let it slip away in the second half with a 40-33 loss. I hear BLM sustained a leg injury in Q4 and didn't return. Another QB injury that the league doesn't need if he doesn't return next week.

Ham came through today with a solid 28-3 thrashing of Ssk in welcoming Tino Sunseri to the ranks of starting CFL QBs; he was sacked five times and held to just 88 yds passing on just 9 (of 21) completions.