CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jun 9 Tor 24 Win 22

Jun 13 BC @ Edm

Jun 14 Mon @ Ham

Jun 14 Sas @ Ott

Jun 14 Win @ Cal

Preseason. I would not expect too much in terms of seeing veteran lineups.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Agree Joe...with all of the injuries and turnover on our roster, these 2 pre season games could be the most important in a long time...new players, replacement players all finding their way and Kevin Glenn trying to find his groove...the most important thing for the Lions to do right now is get an OLine together that can open holes in the run game, which will take care of the passing game.

Right now I am very "iffy" about the Lion's season...this is a team that might win 10-11 games, but just as easily might only win 7 or 8...with Lulay injured, our OLine a mess, our DLine OLD, and many changes in both our receiving and secondary corps, this has the makings of a disastrous season for the Leos. We'll see...that's why they play the games.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

MexicoLionFan wrote:Agree Joe...with all of the injuries and turnover on our roster, these 2 pre season games could be the most important in a long time...new players, replacement players all finding their way and Kevin Glenn trying to find his groove...the most important thing for the Lions to do right now is get an OLine together that can open holes in the run game, which will take care of the passing game.

Right now I am very "iffy" about the Lion's season...this is a team that might win 10-11 games, but just as easily might only win 7 or 8...with Lulay injured, our OLine a mess, our DLine OLD, and many changes in both our receiving and secondary corps, this has the makings of a disastrous season for the Leos. We'll see...that's why they play the games.
I'm a lot more optimistic.
DBs: Even with LaRose being a bit slow of foot, a very good group overall.
LBs: The replacement for Banks will be bigger stronger, faster and along with Elimimian and Bighill they might be the best in the CFL.
Dline: They might be old, but the return of Mitchell will make them a lot more productive than last season. Concerns are more long term than immediate.
RBs: Harris and Logan, say no more. Wally has re-upped with young NI FBs and Lambala is still an excellent ST player and blocker.
QB: Glenn was the prize of the off season for the Lions because it is obvious now that Lulay may not be good to go for a while. Beck looks like a capable backup with enough NFL experience that once he gets the nuances of the Canadian game, will be fine if called upon to play or even start. Partridge, with very good size and run ability, looks to be the QB of the future for the Lions. He is no doubt the reason Chris Hart is gone.
RECs: A very good group with good depth on paper. Looking for several to have a breakout season on the field. Import rookies Sambrano and Burnham look good and I expect at least one of them to make the team now that it has been revealed that Arceneaux has a broken wrist.
Oline: A young group that will take time to gel so it is a good thing that Glenn is very mobile in the pocket and the run game is hopefully a big part of the O. Good long term prospects and good NI depth once everyone is healthy.

With Ottawa expansion, other teams have had similar or more personnel changes than the Lions with the Lions probably having more returning starters (or replacements for starters already on the roster) than most other teams.

OC and DC are where the Lions have had the biggest changes on the team. Even though K. Jones was not the Lions' first choice at OC, I like him better than LaPolice and I like the fact that he has worked with Glenn before. With a former QB now calling plays and a vet like Paopao spotting in the booth, I expect a more effective ball control O than in the past.
M. Washington as DC is also my choice over the more conservative keep it all in front of you Stubler. A more aggressive style from this veteran group is what I am looking for.

Kicking/punting. P. McCallum may not be as good at FGs from the 48 or 50 yd line, but still very good from about 42yds in. Adding Import punter R. Schmitt dovetails nicely with the additional import allowed to dress this season. He should give the Lions a consistent edge in field position with his punting and is also an excellent coffin corner punter.

I got nothing to offer regarding Special Teams and can't think of anything more to be optimistic about other than what I listed above.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks Dano...you have mentioned lots of "potentials", so we will see...the 2 areas on a football team that take the longest to gel are the OLine and the Secondary...so much of what everybody does in these positions depends on KNOWING what the person next to you will do...so these 2 areas will be a work in progress in the early going...and that's just the thing...these BCLions are going to need to win some football games early, or they will get snowballed with that schedule...so again, we will see.

With LaRose, he is not even average as a safety, he's the worst in the league, and his inability to make INTs are turnovers in and of themselves...and there are lots of positive comments about the receivers, but with Arceneaux dinged for 6 weeks, and Ernest Jackson NEVER proving to us that he can be a starter on the field, this group is a BIG UNKNOWN for the Lions.

I want the Lions to take advantage of hosting the GC this year, so its been a disappointing offseason up till now.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:Thanks Dano...you have mentioned lots of "potentials", so we will see...the 2 areas on a football team that take the longest to gel are the OLine and the Secondary...so much of what everybody does in these positions depends on KNOWING what the person next to you will do...so these 2 areas will be a work in progress in the early going...and that's just the thing...these BCLions are going to need to win some football games early, or they will get snowballed with that schedule...so again, we will see.

With LaRose, he is not even average as a safety, he's the worst in the league, and his inability to make INTs are turnovers in and of themselves...and there are lots of positive comments about the receivers, but with Arceneaux dinged for 6 weeks, and Ernest Jackson NEVER proving to us that he can be a starter on the field, this group is a BIG UNKNOWN for the Lions.

I want the Lions to take advantage of hosting the GC this year, so its been a disappointing offseason up till now.
Have to agree about LaRose. I`m very surprised that replacing him wasn`t a priority in this off-season. I`m more optimistic about the receivers, but am surprised that Ernest Jackson isn`t showing more. As for the D in general, I don`t think our D-line will provide the kind of push, brute force, and dominance needed for this team to win on a regular basis. We needed help on the ends and haven`t received it. 2014 will be an interesting season for the Lions; I can`t say I`m really optimistic, but would love to be wrong about this. Wally`s acquisition of Kevin Glenn is looking absolutely essential at this point. I guess he knew the full story about Lulay`s rehab, but downplayed it to avoid seeming desperate and to keep the price of Glenn as low as possible. Without Glenn, I think the beginning of the season would have been disastrous. With him we have a chance.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Not claiming it was a CFL Classic or anything but I enjoyed the preseason tilt between the Bombers/Argos yesterday. That strip by a Bomber of the Argo QB on the goal-line was a HUGE PLAY.........

Too bad the Bombers last QB didn't get more playing time......
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

notahomer wrote:Not claiming it was a CFL Classic or anything but I enjoyed the preseason tilt between the Bombers/Argos yesterday. That strip by a Bomber of the Argo QB on the goal-line was a HUGE PLAY.........

I liked the play where the new rule allowing a coach to throw a flag and question a pass interference call/non-call ended up having the coach get the correct call. Replay showed the defender grabbed the receiver's hand and the defender was face guarding as well.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
notahomer wrote:Not claiming it was a CFL Classic or anything but I enjoyed the preseason tilt between the Bombers/Argos yesterday. That strip by a Bomber of the Argo QB on the goal-line was a HUGE PLAY.........

I liked the play where the new rule allowing a coach to throw a flag and question a pass interference call/non-call ended up having the coach get the correct call. Replay showed the defender grabbed the receiver's hand and the defender was face guarding as well.
I like it. There will be problems. But just having it there will make DBs think twice about "cheating."
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
Yeah, I thought Robert Marve acquitted him self quite well in the time that he was given. And it's nice to see that a guy whose name is pronounced "MARVE" actually has the "R" and the "V" in the right order. :wink:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Nice way to start a franchise with a touchdown on the first offensive play by the Ottawa RedBlacks.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I watched the Stanley Cup final as it ran live where I am (not always the case here) but it sounds like Esks really wanted to come out and win big. Highlights of Reilly to Stamps was an eye opener. Esks will be better but if that was a statement game as the paper said - how come the Lions weren't hammered given it was a lot of new tryouts?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Perhaps the Lions have more talent than what a lot of pundits would have you believe.
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:I watched the Stanley Cup final as it ran live where I am (not always the case here) but it sounds like Esks really wanted to come out and win big. Highlights of Reilly to Stamps was an eye opener. Esks will be better but if that was a statement game as the paper said - how come the Lions weren't hammered given it was a lot of new tryouts?
Part of the reasoning for no blowout, was the real Esks O was playing in the first quarter, and didn't punch the ball in enough. In the latter stages of the game, the 3rd and 4th QB's for Edmonton weren't at a level to do it. Esks left them in, had they returned to Reilly, they would have had enough to win the game. Still for a team made up of newbies and eventual cuts, they played a gutsy game down to the wire and found a way to win ugly, but win they did. It may give the Esks a heads up on some depth players though.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Calgary and Winnipeg tied at 17 in the 3rd period
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CFL.ca Staff
#SSKvsOTT | #CFLTC14

REGINA – The Ottawa REDBLACKS played in their first ever pre-season game Saturday afternoon but Marshay Green’s 75-yard punt return touchdown helped the Saskatchewan Roughriders capture a 21-17 win.

Billed as a home game for Ottawa, the contest was played at Regina’s Mosaic Stadium as the REDBLACKS await TD Place Stadium to meet completion.

It didn’t take long for REDBLACKS fans to witness their first highlight. Ball State grad WR Jamill Smith fielded a punt early in the first quarter, bounced outside and raced down the near sideline for a 76-yard return. Ottawa’s first big play brought them down to the 2-yard line where Chevon Walker would punch it in from a play later.

Walker’s major gave the REDBLACKS an early 7-0 lead.

Two possessions later, Ottawa would add to its lead when QB Henry Burris found receiver Marcus Henry for a one-handed 11-yard snag to set up a 44-yard Justin Palardy field goal.

That would signify the end of Burris’ day as rookie Danny O’Brien entered with 2:11 left in the opening quarter. O’Brien, out of Catawba College, would go two-and-out on his first possession and it would prove to be costly.

Not letting Smith outshine in the return game, Green made the most of his first CFL touch. The Mississippi grad got under a punt, made a number of moves and burst up field, navigating his way through would-be Ottawa tacklers. He didn’t stop until he recorded a 77-yard punt return touchdown to cut the REDBLACKS lead to 10-7 with 58 seconds remaining in the first frame.

With Drew Willy now a member of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Tino Sunseri is the likely candidate to backup Darian Durant. The sophomore pivot started for the Riders and played the entire first half before Durant entered.

If anyone thought that Durant had acquired rust after his Grey Cup Championship last year, they were quickly proven wrong. The face of the franchise promptly orchestrated a 10-play, 88-yard drive capped off by an 18-yard touchdown pass to Brett Swain to give the Riders a 14-10 lead.

Durant’s day finished when the first half did and he exited with 76 yards and 1 touchdown on 7 of 8 passing.

He then stood back and watched the battle taking place in the backfield as the Riders search for their Kory Sheets replacement at running back. In the first half it was Anthony Allen and Jermaine Thomas splitting reps and combining for 58 yards.

Keith Toston would start at tailback as the second half began and wasted little time making an impact, ripping off a 38-yard run. With Adam Weber now at the helm, the Minnesota grad would engineer an impressive drive to start the third. First finding finding DeMarco Sampson for a 35-yard gain before connecting with Swain who hauled in his second major of the game. This one, from four yards out, gave Saskatchewan a 21-10 lead at the 10:29 mark.

Weber finished 2 of 4 before giving way to Seth Doege.

Taking over the Ottawa offence in the second half was former BC Lions pivot Thomas DeMarco. DeMarco was picked up in the CFL Expansion Draft last December and after starting off modestly, the young quarterback took a shot downfield and didn’t miss.

In the third quarter, DeMarco stepped into a pass and dropped it right into the hands of receiver Travon Patterson who found completed the 60-yard touchdown play and cut the Rider lead to 21-17.

DeMarco played until the midway point of the fourth quarter before Alex Cardner finished up the game.

Ottawa will make the trip to Montreal next Friday to close out their first pre-season but the Riders will remain at home to host the Edmonton Eskimos.

http://cfl.ca/article/redblacks-debut-b ... -at-mosaic