CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:First I've heard of it... just checked their listings; next airing is tomorrow (Thursday) at 5:30pPT and again 8pPT on TSN2.
Great! Those were not on my listings. Maybe they've popped up now! I'll check, cuz I want to check it out..........
You're probably talking about your cable box?

You can check TSN's listings on their own website, which is where I got it:

http://www.tsn.ca/tsnschedule/#/TSN
I'd never heard of it either but I'll try to catch it. I wonder how they promote a show like this if hard-core football fans haven't heard of it.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I'd never heard of it either but I'll try to catch it. I wonder how they promote a show like this if hard-core football fans haven't heard of it.
I just spotted a write up for it while perusing the upcoming listings on my cable feed. I'm with you, how are we going to watch unless we know its on? Now we know, I hope they put out something worth seeing.................
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:I'd never heard of it either but I'll try to catch it. I wonder how they promote a show like this if hard-core football fans haven't heard of it.
I just spotted a write up for it while perusing the upcoming listings on my cable feed. I'm with you, how are we going to watch unless we know its on? Now we know, I hope they put out something worth seeing.................
You'd think they would run promos for it during the games themselves, but I haven't noticed this. And it's not like you never hear Cuthbert, Miller and Black plugging other programming at all.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depth chart ...

Same on D

Poblah still starting

Burnham starting

Gratified to see Mark W believes in 6 man D Line rotation. Menard has helped our cause.

Lineup looks haelthy. Sans Lulay and Steward of course.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thanks, Joe. This will be a a good test for Burnham replacing Taylor. He'll get a lot of balls thrown to him in the slot, unlike Poblah who didn't get any balls thrown to him last week at wideout.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Thanks, Joe. This will be a a good test for Burnham replacing Taylor. He'll get a lot of balls thrown to him in the slot, unlike Poblah who didn't get any balls thrown to him last week at wideout.

You're welcome, BCF.

Burnham is interesting. Smart guy. Could be possession type. Maybe even knows how to get open deep.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Just looking at the lineup changes a little more closely, I'm worried. Taylor is on the 6-game injured list, so this is a bigger test than I thought for Burnham. Haidara, who backed up all the reciving positions, is on the 1-game injured list so there isn't much flexibility if another receiver goes down.

On defence, Ryan Phillips didn't fully participate in his only practice of the week on Wednesday because of his hamstring but his backup, T.J. Lee, has been moved to the practice roster instead of being left on the 46-man roster as a possible game-day repacement. The Lions have only Keynan Parker and Torri Williams as backups in the secondary.

Bo Lokombo makes his debut on special teams and is one of 8 linebackers on the roster. He's listed on the depth chart behind Elimimian and ahead of Chin, although he was an outside linebacker at Oregon.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

LU has reported that Lokombo has taken some reps at Safety, so he may be backing up there, although the Lions show 8 Nats starting so maybe T. Williams will see work at Safety. But not a lot of DB depth.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Looking forward to see the debut of Adekolu, Burnham and Lokombo
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:LU has reported that Lokombo has taken some reps at Safety, so he may be backing up there, although the Lions show 8 Nats starting so maybe T. Williams will see work at Safety. But not a lot of DB depth.
Wouldn't that be something if Lokombo can play Safety? Wow ... Fast. A hitter. But Safety is all about reads, anticipation. Covering ground we know Lokombo can do.

Not convinced J.R. can read the play all that well. Nor anticipate. Nor cover ground. But I defer to our staff, especially as we do not have much choice at this time.

Spud387
Champion

Just announced that Courtney Taylor is gone for the year with a foot injury. Having surgery on it.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:Just announced that Courtney Taylor is gone for the year with a foot injury. Having surgery on it.
That is a shame. He was playing so well. Very reliable.

Heal well, Courtney. You are a mainstay now with the Lions. :thup:

Rammer
Team Captain

Spud387 wrote:Just announced that Courtney Taylor is gone for the year with a foot injury. Having surgery on it.
Mr 2nd Down is going to be missed. I wonder how our abysmal offense is going to sustain drives without his connection with Glenn.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This sort of HC arrogance is unnecessary. HC has every right to be concerned if his players is blowing smoke about his fitness and it can be highly annoying as you give up a roster spot only to find the guy can't really play on game day when it's too late to change.

But most HC's don't do this as they know players always will want to play. It's like this guy is looking for ways to alienate his players and establish how great he is.

Phillips did not participate Tuesday and didn’t perform to the satisfaction of the coach when taking part in drills Wednesday, which is the most important planning day of the practice week for the Lions.

“Well, I wasn’t exactly comfortable with his moving skills,” said Benevides, who clearly seemed agitated and inferred that Phillips was continuing to practice solely for the benefit of the streak.

“I don’t care about no streak.”

The streak means a good deal, but isn’t the kind of thing that would get in the way of the team’s best interest, Phillips said.

“It’s a big part of my career, but I’m not going to put the team in a bad position and if I was in a position to not play I would have told him that,” he said. “I told (Benevides) I would run around (at practice) and when the ball was in the air I would go get it, but I’m not going to run around as fast as I can when there’s two more days of rest I can have.

“I’m not going to get wrapped up in it. I expect to play and I’ll be surprised if I don’t.”

Clearly, though, Benevides wasn’t impressed.

“I don’t care what (Phillips) says. I’m the head coach,” he said.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'd rather have coach Benny speak his mind than have him act tight lipped with the media like the Bombers HC O'Shea.