CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

37-9 final. Riders avenge their earlier defeat to the Argos. With a minute and half left, Argos were going deep precipitating a brawl. Eastern teams have all won only 1 game.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The Argo/Rider game was chippy all game, IMO. Lots of after the whistle junk. Will not be surprised if there are fines here/there. Most of the flags balanced out, IIRC.

Still seems to me that either the Riders are still looking for a replacement for Sheets OR they are hoping he'll get cut and return to Riderland. He obviously has the balance needed in terms of blocking, catching and RUNNING (not to mention ball security!) to keep the coaches happy. Ford looked good but we'll see over a few games......
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:The Argo/Rider game was chippy all game, IMO. Lots of after the whistle junk. Will not be surprised if there are fines here/there. Most of the flags balanced out, IIRC.

Still seems to me that either the Riders are still looking for a replacement for Sheets OR they are hoping he'll get cut and return to Riderland. He obviously has the balance needed in terms of blocking, catching and RUNNING (not to mention ball security!) to keep the coaches happy. Ford looked good but we'll see over a few games......
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
W. FORD 17 113 3 38
Dunno, nota, but if a team can get that kind of production out of a running back, who needs Sheets? Chamblin seems to get rather upset at fumbles, thus the departure of Charles and the benching of Allen. If Sheets returns to the CFL, would he not be a free agent?

In any case, it seems the Riders are rounding into shape. One more obstacle above us in the pursuit of a playoff spot.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ott
Passing (comp/att/yds) 28/45/315
Receiving (rec/yds) 28/315
Rushing (att/yds) 18/75
Total Yards 377
Sacks Allowed 1
Turnovers 3

Ham
Passing (comp/att/yds) 21/30/361
Receiving (rec/yds) 21/361
Rushing (att/yds) 22/197
Total Yards 551
Sacks Allowed 1
Turnovers 1

I did not see the game, but it looks like Ham-Ott provided some offence.

LeFevour certainly racked up some yardage, plus the win. 361 yards passing. 109 yards rushing. Who needs Collaros? Who needs Burris?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
notahomer wrote:The Argo/Rider game was chippy all game, IMO. Lots of after the whistle junk. Will not be surprised if there are fines here/there. Most of the flags balanced out, IIRC.

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
W. FORD 17 113 3 38
Dunno, nota, but if a team can get that kind of production out of a running back, who needs Sheets? Chamblin seems to get rather upset at fumbles, thus the departure of Charles and the benching of Allen. If Sheets returns to the CFL, would he not be a free agent?

In any case, it seems the Riders are rounding into shape. One more obstacle above us in the pursuit of a playoff spot.
Yup, Ford's stats are great (as were Allen's EXCEPT his fumbles according to Chamblin). I don't doubt Sheets would be a free agent but often players end up coming 'home'.

If the Riders are rounding into shape, I think a lot of the credit belongs to the D-line. Their pressure was the CAUSE of much of the struggles Ray had, from my perspective.

The Riders Oline had that attitude/style that I would like to see from our front line. Nasty/chippy but still not getting flagged.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Chris Schultz's prediction for week 6. His record isn't stellar. Hope he's wrong on the Lions and Stamps' matchup

TSN football analyst Chris Schultz is back with his Week 6 selections in the CFL. The Big Man finished 2-2 in Week 5, and sits at 9-11 on the season in Schultz vs. The World. Now Schultz is ready for more action, including a close prediction between the Lions and Stampeders.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers at Hamilton Tiger-Cats

We know Drew Willy is for real as so far this season he has had only one game - Edmonton - where you did wonder. The other four have been pretty good. Now with Dan LeFevour he is coming off a great game but to be "for real" he has to have a great game the majority of the time. I will be very interested to see if Kent Austin limits any of Lefevour's spontaneous plays. One of the most difficult things to defend in football is when the quarterback makes that split-second decision to take off and run. You can't defend it because to do so would take away from an aggressive attitude on defence. There is always an injury risk with a running quarterback but I hope no limitations will be given on Lefevour's reactive desires. Both teams will come into the game confident as both are coming off impressive wins and if Hamilton was healthier especially up front I would "take 'em". I don't think they will be so I have to take the Bombers in a close one. Winnipeg moves to 5-1.

Toronto Argonauts at Montreal Alouettes

This is the desperation game for Week 6. For the visiting Argonauts they are desperate to put the 37-9 loss in Regina behind them quickly and forever. Every year there will be one or two games that a team has to decide whether it is even worth watching video or more beneficial to just "move on". This may be the game to do that with Toronto. No Durie, Owens, Barnes and others is a primary reason but a primary concern must be how they could start so poorly in a game where being in Regina you always have to match intensity with the home team. With nine teams this year every team gets two bye weeks. Montreal had theirs and the timing could not be better. They will go into this one healthy again and Troy Smith will go in with as much quality preparation time as possible. He will have had reviewed all four of his previous starts and have a crystal clear idea of his strengths and weaknesses. Then it is simple, improve the weakness and maintain the strength. Montreal over Toronto.

BC Lions at Calgary Stampeders

Both teams did not play well last week. It was evident in BC with only nine points scored against Winnipeg. With Calgary at the end of the first quarter they had zero first downs, three yards rushing and 17 yards passing. If not for special teams mistakes by Edmonton, Calgary would not have won that game 26-22. Earlier in the season BC lost two in a row and then re-grouped and won two straight in an impressive way. It may happen again as even though Calgary won it just did not feel right and I am sure it did not feel right with the players as well. Bo Levi Mitchell goes for win No. 8 in a row. I think he gets it in a close one. Stampeders.

Saskatchewan Roughriders at Ottawa Redblacks

Last time the Riders were on the road they were destroyed 46-15 in Toronto - that loss will be forefront in their memories. At running back I think George Cortez has found his guy. Will Ford looked confident, powerful and hungry. Not that Anthony Allen and Hugh Charles didn't but Will Ford took an opportunity and ran with it. The Riders will not have the pass rush success they had against Toronto but should be able to benefit from no Justin Phillips and Kerrie Johnson. This game features a Grey Cup championship team playing an expansion team with the Grey Cup team learning fron their last road loss in Toronto. Riders over Redblacks.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

he's taking the western teams in both intra's. I guess he heard how they have an 11-2 edge so far this year.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I took the Lions over the Stamps..... I think they'll bring what it takes and its a big hole if they lose. I'm not super confident though.... hope I'm right..... :cr:

I figure the Argos are due to win again and a dose of Aloette will be what it takes. Close game but Argos prevail.

I took the Bombers in a close one because I don't think the Ticats are AS BAD as their record (I know, I know I'm breaking one of the commandments of football----you are your record).

I'd love to see the Riders stumble to the Redblacks but I don't see it (not this game anyways, and I'd love to be wrong).
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Doege moves up to the 46.

Mitchell back in at DT.

Hardrick at left guard. Fabien backup.

I am guessing Schmitt will play.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Winnipeg leading Hamilton 13-3 at the half. Bomber defence limited Ti-Cats to one 1st down and 38 total yards.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Winnipeg scored with no time remaining on the clock to defeat Hamilton 27-26. Hamilton was leading 26-20 with a couple of minutes left in the game. They had possession and needed a couple of first downs to seal the game. Instead they ran two conservative plays and was forced to punt giving Winnipeg the ball.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Winnipeg scored with no time remaining on the clock to defeat Hamilton 27-26. Hamilton was leading 26-20 with a couple of minutes left in the game. They had possession and needed a couple of first downs to seal the game. Instead they ran two conservative plays and was forced to punt giving Winnipeg the ball.
Down six and mount a 90-yd comeback drive in the final 1:40, scoring a major and booting the game-winning convert on the final play.

At 5-1 Wpg now has more wins than the entire East division combined. The win pushes the western edge in intradivision games to 12-2.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

IIRC, I picked the Bombers in a close one (win by 2 pts I think). So, I was stunned to see them march the field and OWN this one. Ticats really fought back but IMO, the better team won. Not sure what the stats say but I think the BOmbers and their fans WOULD HAVE BEEN MAD had they lost. I know, I know, teams/fans are always mad after losses but this was a game based on what I saw, the Ticats really should not have been leading late. Still it took a solid, character building drive to pull this one out of the fire.....

:dizzy: My predicting is a little close this week. The only game I have rated over a field goal is Riders to beat the Redblacks by more than 20+ and I would LOVE TO BE WRONG both in terms of the spread and who wins..... :cool:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Winnipeg scored with no time remaining on the clock to defeat Hamilton 27-26. Hamilton was leading 26-20 with a couple of minutes left in the game. They had possession and needed a couple of first downs to seal the game. Instead they ran two conservative plays and was forced to punt giving Winnipeg the ball.
That was infuriating and so typical of today's cravenly conservative CFL. Shame on Austin. He should know better.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:Doege moves up to the 46.

Mitchell back in at DT.

Hardrick at left guard. Fabien backup.

I am guessing Schmitt will play.
What do you make of the LG move WCJ? I thought Fabien had been playing well there. Do you think he may be suffering from a bit of swelling in that reconstructed knee? Or could this be a bit of a test of Hardrick at guard that could facilitate the transition of Fabien back over to RG where he played quite well last year before the injury?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.