CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/ne ... 028eca2230

Anyway, this piece outlined that in the reporters opinion how BORING the CFL had been so far.
Vanstone's right. The games so far have been almost all unrelentingly awful. Pile on the flag football insanity, and it has me, an otherwise hardcore CFL fan, finding the games next to unwatchable and wishing the days away until college football season starts.

http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

Oh, please get here...
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Cal @ Edm

Win @ BC

Ott @ Ham

Tor @ Sas

Gonna take the home teams.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sayz Schultzie ...
Schultz vs. The World: Week 5 predictions in the CFLThe Big Man finished 2-2 in Week 4, and sits at 7-9 on the season in Schultz vs. The World. Now the CFL on TSN analyst is back with his picks for Week 4, including a happy omen for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Calgary at Edmonton

Bad blood game early in the season. First, Chris Jones left Calgary to be in Toronto and won a Grey Cup under suspicious circumstance and I am sure John Huffnagle resents it to this day. Second, Edmonton is 4-0 and wins a lot of football by imposing their collective will on opponents and basically wears them out. Calgary knows that, will be reminded of that and will do their best not to let it happen. And third, each team has two physical runners and a dangerous pass rusher. I figure Jon Cornish should play and will be target No. 1 for Edmonton's defence. And for Edmonton, Johnathan White has been a top and pleasant surprise as a running back. Kind of brings emotion to the position that is needed. On defence both 0dell Willis and Charleston Hughes can change a quarterback's health status quickly. Bad blood game but Calgary won't allow Mike Rielly to run for almost 100 yards like Winnipeg did. Tough one to pick. Edmonton by three.

Winnipeg at B.C.

Not a good game for the Bombers and you have to ask why. Now I don't think they were complacent as much as they let their guard down. They relaxed and became confident. Good football teams always have to play like they have to prove something to themselves or others. It is no different than any other competitive occupation. You take it for granted, you lose your competitive job. Yes, even mine. Does that mean against B.C. they win easy? Nope. The lions are better on offensive line and the defensive front seven is very good. On the road in BC place I like the Lions in a close game.

Ottawa at Hamilton at McMaster

Can't begin to tell you how disappointing it is that the Ticats new stadium is not ready. Nothing against McMaster's athletic program, but I thought for sure the traveling band of football players would find stability. Having said that, at this moment it's an advantage for the Ticats. Ottawa had 24 points last week to win and it was great. Enjoyed it a lot. But it was six field goals. Hamilton is not as bad as 0-3 and as a winless team the pressure is on and players feel it. Still, traveling to Calgary and only allowing 10 points is worthy of defensive accolades. Only scoring seven, well, self explanatory. I say this is the week. Ticats win at Mac!

Toronto at Saskatchewan

I like the Riders. With the week to re-group and retain heath, at home, I like the Riders. In Toronto last year, Dontrelle Inman was their most explosive player many times. Jason Barnes has not been healthy. John Chiles has not been explosive and in all likelihood, Chad Owens will not play. Too much. Ricky Ray completes a lot of passes but needs more big plays, game-changing plays. It will be interesting to see which running back plays and how much in Regina. And REMEMBER: it is Purolator Tackle Hunger day at Mosaic Stadium, Taylor field. Please bring your non-perishable food items to the Purolator Tackle Truck and make a difference for someone you may not know personally, but lives in your community. Riders.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Cal @ Edm

Win @ BC

Ott @ Ham

Tor @ Sas

Gonna take the home teams.
All the home teams with the exception of the Eskimos, they are going to feel their first defeat.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Agree with Rammer, Battle of Alberta. Edmonton holding closed practices won't help.

BC

Hamilton

Sask
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

As a Lions fan, who to root for in the Cgy/Edm tilt? If Cgy loses tomorrow, we could pull even with them in wins this week with a victory Friday but I don't favour this line of thinking unless 1st is already out of reach, say, if teams were still spaced apart in mid-Oct much are they now.

It's still early going so I think whichever result (i.e., a Cgy win) tightens the standings and keeps us in best position to challenge for 1st place (not that you ever like to count on help from others) is what you'd prefer to see. And not to look too far ahead but if Cgy wins we get the chance next week to be the ones to knock them off their undefeated pedestal. Doing that to Mtl so many times in the Calvillo years never got old for me.

With the schedule drawn up as it is for the next two weeks, it's not impossible — if the six games involving at least one western team all break the right way — that at the end of week 6 we could see the top four western teams all with 4 wins apiece and Ssk only just off the pace at 3-2. The best eastern team would have at most two wins, and the head office would perhaps wonder if it's time to reduce intradivision play to something of a pre-1981 flavour. Certainly one would think the Lions would consider switching out a visit from say, Ham, in favour of better-drawing Ssk.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I went all home teams. Esks have looked good. Then again, the Stamps have done what it takes, so winning pretty is not their thing and probably doesn't help much anyways.

Two weeks in a row we sent teams into their bye weeks and unless we meet in the Grey Cup, we are DONE with the Al's for 2014.

I am going to miss what I see as the marquee matchup (Stamps/Esks). Obviously will take in the Bombers/lions and make every effort to catch the Argos/Riders. That game is one I really think could be interesting. The loser of that game will make some changes I'm sure..... (kinda hope its the Riders but I doubt it)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Calgary remains undefeated. Calgary 26-Edmonton 22. Stamps scored 20 points on turnovers. Bo Levi Mitchell remains undefeated as a starter 7-0
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Calgary remains undefeated. Calgary 26-Edmonton 22. Stamps scored 20 points on turnovers. Bo Levi Mitchell remains undefeated as a starter 7-0
The Esks deserved to lose with all their turnovers, the biggest of which was the unsuccessful fake punt from their own end zone with 16 seconds left in the first half. Chris Jones is a gambler but that was a long shot that cost his team the game.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Esks deserved to lose with all their turnovers, the biggest of which was the unsuccessful fake punt from their own end zone with 16 seconds left in the first half. Chris Jones is a gambler but that was a long shot that cost his team the game.
I missed the game but your point sure seems clear in the replay highlights. Apparently the Stamps mustered about 20 yards of offence in the first quarter and were leading at the end of the quarter :dizzy:

BTW, Paul Lapolice has a piece on TSN.CA this week that certainly confirms what you frequently state about turnovers.....

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=457798
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Calgary remains undefeated. Calgary 26-Edmonton 22. Stamps scored 20 points on turnovers. Bo Levi Mitchell remains undefeated as a starter 7-0
The Esks deserved to lose with all their turnovers, the biggest of which was the unsuccessful fake punt from their own end zone with 16 seconds left in the first half. Chris Jones is a gambler but that was a long shot that cost his team the game.
Did you catch Chris Jone's post game interview on that turnover before the half? He didn't have any apologies for it, and I think that he would do it again if the same scenario arose. Not sure if that is to keep the Esks future opponents on their toes or not, but he isn't about to change his gambling ways from what I garnered from it. All is fine if you win more than you lose in the gambles and of course if that translates into W's at the end of the day. If teams begin to stuff those 'risky' plays, he might slow down somewhat, even if he thinks it is about scoring on every play.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:The Esks deserved to lose with all their turnovers, the biggest of which was the unsuccessful fake punt from their own end zone with 16 seconds left in the first half. Chris Jones is a gambler but that was a long shot that cost his team the game.
I missed the game but your point sure seems clear in the replay highlights. Apparently the Stamps mustered about 20 yards of offence in the first quarter and were leading at the end of the quarter :dizzy:

BTW, Paul Lapolice has a piece on TSN.CA this week that certainly confirms what you frequently state about turnovers.....

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=457798
Thanks for that. Football is an amazingly simple game. You can take away all the X's and O's, skill players and execution. Winning and losing correlates most strongly with turnover margin. Of course, the turnover battle is won by playing with intensity and discipline. That's the real secret to winning. Outhustle and outhit your opponent and good things will happen.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Terrible start for Ricky Ray. First two offensive drives, an interception and a fumble. Both recovered and converted by the Riders. 14-0
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Riders putting the boots to the Argos. Offence has turned the ball over 4 times. 31-6
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

With a 37-9 lead and under six minutes left in the game, Chamblin throws the challenge flag for a (meaningless and unsuccessful) PI call. Nice classy move there.