Geroy packing it in

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

smphantom
Legend

Farhan Lalji of TSN reporting that Geroy is set to retire.
Stay thirsty my friends.
almo89
Legend

I can't believe he will retire as a Rider. Still some hard feelings with the way he left the Lions organization.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm surprised at the timing of the move but I'm sure he's happy to have been able to win another Grey Cup ring and go out as a champion. Congratulations on an outstanding career, most of it with the Lions.
South Pender
Legend

almo89 wrote:I can't believe he will retire as a Rider. Still some hard feelings with the way he left the Lions organization.
Here's a brief report from Pro Football Talk:

Report: CFL’s all-time leader in career catches, yards “expected” to retire
Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 31, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT

The CFL’s all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards is reportedly set to retire.

According to Farhan Lalji of TSN, Saskatchewan Roughriders slotback Geroy Simon is “expected” to call it quits after a 15-season CFL career in which he hauled in 1,029 passes for 16,352 yards and 103 touchdowns.

The 38-year-old Simon caught 40 passes for 565 yards and three touchdowns for Grey Cup-winning Saskatchewan in 2013. He played the majority of his career for the British Columbia Lions, for whom he had two seasons of 100 catches or more.

A University of Maryland product, Simon had NFL stints with multiple clubs, including the Buccaneers and Steelers. His first CFL season was in 1999, when he caught 34 passes for Winnipeg. It was the start of a prolific career.

Is it not possible that he'll be brought back for one day by the Lions for a retirement ceremony here?
dtrain
Starter

almo89 wrote:I can't believe he will retire as a Rider. Still some hard feelings with the way he left the Lions organization.
If Geroy retires as a Rider, I'll be retiring my 81 jersey.
Heathcliff
Rookie

It will a sad day for Lions fans if Geroy retires a Rider, especially after Lion82 did the same...
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Heathcliff wrote:It will a sad day for Lions fans if Geroy retires a Rider, especially after Lion82 did the same...
I don't understand this. Geroy is under contract to the Riders. If he chooses to retire rather than play the final year of his contract, why should Lions' fans be sad? He's going out on his terms.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:It will a sad day for Lions fans if Geroy retires a Rider, especially after Lion82 did the same...
I don't understand this. Geroy is under contract to the Riders. If he chooses to retire rather than play the final year of his contract, why should Lions' fans be sad? He's going out on his terms.

I'm thinking he must either have something lined up to do that is better than being away from home for a long time which with a family is not the same as these single guys. I always felt Lion82 was not given the treatment he deserved in Regina. Geroy seemed only to get the word from Durant in the GC game that he had eyes for him as a REC.

Or, he's got one of the inklings that Angus Reid got in the off season where he was no longer invited to off season meetings as they were going to Valli to start at Centre the next year.

Or, it came down to - he had 15 good years and won a GC and why not go now.

Fans burning their 81 jerseys is a bit much in fairness to what he did for BC.

I always find it a bit weird that they retire and can sign for a day with their old team to retire as say a Lion.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I say let him retire as a Rider.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Agreed.
I would be interested to know if he thinks it was worth it. Sure he got his ring but he did it for a team that really didn't use him much excepting for the Grey Cup. Does a ring really make up for the life time city hero status that he would have had if he had remained a Lion? His departure from the Riders will be a non event compared to what it would have been as a Lion. The loss is irrevocable IMO. He might have been traveling in the same circles as Willie Flemming and Lui Passaglia as revered personalities in this city but not anymore. He traded a lifetime of respect for a moment of glory and I guess only he will know whether it was the right choice or not.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
pennw
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:

I'm thinking he must either have something lined up to do that is better than being away from home for a long time which with a family is not the same as these single guys. I always felt Lion82 was not given the treatment he deserved in Regina. Geroy seemed only to get the word from Durant in the GC game that he had eyes for him as a REC.

Or, he's got one of the inklings that Angus Reid got in the off season where he was no longer invited to off season meetings as they were going to Valli to start at Centre the next year.

Or, it came down to - he had 15 good years and won a GC and why not go now.
One more possible option as to why he's retiring now ; maybe he sensed he was going to get either cut or be asked to take a major paycut by the Riders just like the year before by the Lions and he retired to save face before that could happen .
pennw
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:Agreed.
I would be interested to know if he thinks it was worth it. Sure he got his ring but he did it for a team that really didn't use him much excepting for the Grey Cup. Does a ring really make up for the life time city hero status that he would have had if he had remained a Lion? His departure from the Riders will be a non event compared to what it would have been as a Lion. The loss is irrevocable IMO. He might have been traveling in the same circles as Willie Flemming and Lui Passaglia as revered personalities in this city but not anymore. He traded a lifetime of respect for a moment of glory and I guess only he will know whether it was the right choice or not.
All that and possibly forfeiting a coaching career with the Lions .
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I expect it was mostly his athletic pride that made him play one more year. He gave up some goodwill in B.C. to do that.

He might come to regret it eventually. He had fan status and fan admiration almost second to none. Some of that is gone, as on can see on here.

As a fan of the Lions I am not personally upset at how it happened. It's business. Athletes have pride and reluctance to give it up. He was always friendly with me. It was not uncommon to run into him around the Lower Mainland, and always get a friendly response.

So will he live here, or in ahem ... cough, cough ... Regina?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

pennw wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:Agreed.
All that and possibly forfeiting a coaching career with the Lions .
I think you guys and others here are over reacting and being way too harsh. I had no problem with Simon getting a last big paycheque in his final year. I like that it was the Riders that picked up that tab that was way too much $ for the low regular season yards and TDs that he came up with. Over paid by 50 or 60k maybe more. I was also glad that he scored in the Grey Cup and that the victory made the season worthwhile for him. He earned the Grey Cup $.

Does anyone think that the San Francisco 49ers fans think any less of their superstars, Rice and Montana because they finished their careers on other teams? To those who seem to hold a grudge against Geroy, I say GET OVER IT.

However you feel about how Geroy ended his career, you should not let it diminish the great memories of so many fantastic plays he made as a B.C. Lion.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Great post Dano...my thoughts exactly...I do think Geroy should retire a Lion though and NOT the Riders...I can't see that ever happening though.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein