All things Lions Marketing/Promotions 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Don't like it!

Reeks of desperation from a front office that likely looked at its ticket sales this morning, saw it was in the 28K+ range, and panicked. This is something an organization like the Miami Marlins would do. Or the NY Islanders.

1) I want to win Sunday

and

2) I want a big, lively crowd

IN THAT ORDER!!

Now, the Riders and their fans will be feeding off this perceived arrogance and will really want to stick it to Skulsky. We would have had a decent sized crowd and great atmosphere anyway. Why put more pressure on the team than they're already under? And how bad will the optics be if this doesn't move the needle all that much?? Dumb move. :bang:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
ziggy
Legend

So we are trying to attract people to cheer against us? Why not just let the Riders pump in noise?
dpoe
Starter

I like it... I'm hoping that they win of course, but it could also provide exposure to casual/new fans who haven't been to a game in a while, a chance to take in the atmosphere live. My neighbor and I drive in from Kamloops 4-5 times a year and we're always entertained at the games... could work out favorably for them.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Don't like it!

Reeks of desperation from a front office that likely looked at its ticket sales this morning, saw it was in the 28K+ range, and panicked. This is something an organization like the Miami Marlins would do. Or the NY Islanders.

1) I want to win Sunday

and

2) I want a big, lively crowd

IN THAT ORDER!!

Now, the Riders and their fans will be feeding off this perceived arrogance and will really want to stick it to Skulsky. We would have had a decent sized crowd and great atmosphere anyway. Why put more pressure on the team than they're already under? And how bad will the optics be if this doesn't move the needle all that much?? Dumb move. :bang:

I speculated on Sunday just before we beat the Argos, a few pages back in this thread, that we'd be in tough to crack 30k and I think this gambit comfirms my pessimism. But I don't agree this puts much added pressure on the players; they're always playing for their jobs as it is. I like the move in the sense that it's created some buzz (was there much else they could have done at this late stage?) but at the same time, as Jeff Patterson has noted this afternoon during his 1040 shift, it's disappointing that it's come to this.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Apparently the Lions have emailed STHs about the guarantee. I haven't received a copy yet but I see someone on twitter who did (and who also happens to be a Rider fan) has tweeted it to Regina media:

Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
D
Team Captain

I thought the guaranteed win deserved it's own thread so I started one :wink:

I find the Riders billboard and rally party at the commodore to be a great marketing idea and I'm even happier that the Lions found a way to create a lot of interest in the casual fan and hopefully fill the place with black and orange :roar:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

D wrote:I thought the guaranteed win deserved it's own thread so I started one :wink:

I find the Riders billboard and rally party at the commodore to be a great marketing idea and I'm even happier that the Lions found a way to create a lot of interest in the casual fan and hopefully fill the place with black and orange :roar:
Skulsky might have given the impression during his radio appearance today that the Riders rally at the Commodore was a one-off for Vancouver only, but apparently they're having them in many rival cities before road games this season. It's billed as the "2014 Riderville Tour".

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/ssk/images/ge ... 730333.jpg

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/ssk/images/ge ... 211529.jpg
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Apparently the Lions have emailed STHs about the guarantee. I haven't received a copy yet but I see someone on twitter who did (and who also happens to be a Rider fan) has tweeted it to Regina media:

I haven't recieved my copy of the email yet either. I almost wonder if its a ploy to get more Riderfans to buy tickets? You have emailed STH's about this but not the ones who cheer for the Lions? :dizzy:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Apparently the Lions have emailed STHs about the guarantee. I haven't received a copy yet but I see someone on twitter who did (and who also happens to be a Rider fan) has tweeted it to Regina media:

I haven't recieved my copy of the email yet either. I almost wonder if its a ploy to get more Riderfans to buy tickets? You have emailed STH's about this but not the ones who cheer for the Lions? :dizzy:
I'm guessing they prob don't have the resources to send it out to their entire mailing list at once, rather in dribs and drabs and this guy above happened to be the most drab. :)

EDIT: someone tweeted this link to a copy of the emailed text from the Lions' website, although curiously I couldn't find this link from anywhere within the Lions' website. You'd think it would be right at the top of their news page but not the case as of this writing.

http://bclions.com/article/lions-guaran ... the-riders
Last edited by sj-roc on Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnHenry
Champion

This is probably a good marketing move. At least the Lions are getting some free publicity for the game. The free ticket might spur some additional fans to buy tickets attend the game live (either watching the Lions win or winning a free ticket.)

Season ticket holders and Rider fans probably wouldn't be buying tickets to the next 4 games, so the Lions will lose little there. Giving away 20,000 free tickets to these fans will likely not cost the team anything, but it will increase concession and merchandise revenues at the game.

The 10,000 walkup Lions fans is where the Lions could lose a bit of revenue. Some of these fans might have bought tickets to one of the next 4 games...whether they all would is unlikely. So let's say half would use the free ticket instead of buying one, i.e. 5,000 tickets @ $40 = $200,000 loss in ticket sales.

The PR value alone is probably worth $200,000. Plus the Lions will sell more tickets, plus draw 20,000 additional fans (15,000 ST + 5,000 Rider fan tickets) to one of their next 4 games, who will spend money at the game.

So this a Win/Win for the Lions...even if they lose on Sunday. :2cents:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Is this the same Flaman man wearing a mask and running on a treadmill ? :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:This is probably a good marketing move. At least the Lions are getting some free publicity for the game. The free ticket might spur some additional fans to buy tickets attend the game live (either watching the Lions win or winning a free ticket.)
You got that right JohnHenry. Jeff Paterson was beside himself on Team 1040 talking about it.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:This is probably a good marketing move. At least the Lions are getting some free publicity for the game. The free ticket might spur some additional fans to buy tickets attend the game live (either watching the Lions win or winning a free ticket.)
You got that right JohnHenry. Jeff Paterson was beside himself on Team 1040 talking about it.
Short brilliance to get fans talking but IF we were them I'd have left that idea on the drawing board.

What do you next time? This is not marketing.

From a football view it's nuts.

----

Maybe he should have called up Saskatchewan like HC Annis Stukus reportedly did back when the Lions were starting out and were not good.
IF I remember it right he got the Bombers (?) HC or GM to trash the Lions just to fill the stadium up!

Oh right... Sask wouldn't be that dumb to do that as it would fire the LIONS up.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Big Time
Champion

Like others have said, this is nuts. In fact, this is the second time this year that I've felt thenLions have utterly blown it in the marketing department. First, Sask is your biggest draw so why waste this guarantee on this game. It makes the Lions look desperate and insecure.

Earlier this year they announced Geroy Simons number would be retired a mere FIVE days before the ceremony. When I heard the announcement I nearly fell out of my chair. Geroy is totally deserving but why give your fans five days notice about retiring the number of one if the greatest Lions of all time? The Canucks spent six months marketing the fact they were retiring Naslund and Bure's jersey. Why couldn't the Lions have allowed more time for a proper build up?

The reason is because they are desperate and basically out of ideas. I HATE that they put this guarantee out there because it just gives fuel to the enemy. Maybe it will work out in their favour. However all of these tactics look like short term marketing stunts that undermine the credibility of the team.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:Now, the Riders and their fans will be feeding off this perceived arrogance and will really want to stick it to Skulsky. We would have had a decent sized crowd and great atmosphere anyway. Why put more pressure on the team than they're already under? And how bad will the optics be if this doesn't move the needle all that much?? Dumb move. :bang:

Surprisingly the response on RF.com is quite the opposite. A few are playing the arrogance card. By far the majority see it for what it is, purely a marketing ploy, and actually think it's a smart move by the Lions. As for the Rider fans who were calling it classless or arrogant they are largely being flamed by their own kind. I'm not big on gimmicky moves like this but there can be a time and place for them. Why not pick this game? It's the last home game before Canucks camp opens up to draw the sports market's attention away from football. Why not try and make a splash now. As for putting pressure on the team? Why not. Good teams thrive on pressure. If they're as good as we think they can be they should be welcoming this.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.