All things Lions Marketing/Promotions 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:I just priced an overnight trip to Calgary for the Sept. 27 game, including downtown hotel, cab fares and game tickets, for about $600. Operation Orange is priced at $1,099. That's a $500 premium for the experience of flying with the team and sharing a pregame meal. I can spend a week in a sunny resort for the price of an overnight Operation Orange trip.
Op orange also included at the first Regina trip and the following year's trip to Winnipeg: a reception with snacks and a complimentary bar. That's right--free booze plus a $200 + jersey plus some other novelty like a scarf or ball cap or luggage tag and post game sandwiches on the bus on the way to the airport....there is some value there.

And the look on the faces of the Riders fans when you explained that the 40 people dressed in orange were traveling with team, at the pregame meal etc... PRICELESS.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I just went back and skimmed through the whole thread on Operation Orange that ran through 2012 & 2013 and which has been dormant since last October.

2012 was the first year of this initiative. At that point the Lions might have been unsure of the response it would get; it was only offered for one road game (Ssk on Sat Sep 29) and first announced in August about six weeks in advance, at a cost of $799 PAT (based on single hotel occupancy, presumably double occupancy rates were cheaper) including flight, hotel, some meals (?), a jersey and perhaps a few other keepsakes as has been mentioned in the last few posts. Right from the start, the trip was offered to all fans without regard to season ticket holder status and all available seats were quickly sold, with some STHs who wanted in being left out.

It was expanded in 2013 to three autumn road trips (Ssk on Sun Sep 22, Wpg on Fri Sep 27, Ssk again on Sat Oct 19). This time they announced it around the start of preseason and (likely in reaction to 2012) initially restricted sales to STHs, although remaining seats were eventually released in the first week of July. Cost this time was $999 PAT, double hotel occupancy. Not sure if everything else from 2012 (jerseys, etc) was included in this price. The Wpg trip sold out by second week of July; as for the Ssk trips, they each had spots remaining with less than ten days before departure. A few days after our Oct 19 loss (which made it clear we'd finish 3rd, no higher or lower), a fourth trip for the playoff game was added (also in Ssk although at the time it wasn't yet clear whether we'd play in Ssk or Cgy). I still have the email re:this trip and it says the price was $1150 PAT, based on single occupancy and covering flight with meal, one night hotel, game ticket, pregame meal with team and jersey. It's not clear to me from our discussions on here if this one sold out either, but it also had spaces remaining less than a week before departure (a Lions email re:the 2014 series of trips claims all 2013 trips sold out).

The 2014 series was announced in email on May 26, with trips to Ssk (Sat Jul 12), Ott (Fri Sep 5) and Cgy (Sat Sep 27). The prairie trips were/are $1099 PAT and the eastern trip is $1599 PAT with pricing "based on double occupancy and includes return flights, ground transportation, accommodation in team hotel, pre-game meal with the team, game tickets and a customized BC Lions jersey" according to the first email I have announcing the trips. Sales were again initially restricted to STHs but this was eventually lifted. With no indication yet of a sellout, seats remain for Ott & Cgy. It's not yet clear where we'll finish in the standings but we might see another OO trip offered if we have to go on the road.

So the cost has definitely gone up each year as the club seems to be searching for the sweet spot that maximises revenues while maintaining sellouts; no doubt their travel expenses have also risen in the meantime and this will also be a pricing factor. It seems that other than hotel occupancy, the product has pretty much been the same for every trip in terms of extras like meals and jerseys. It's also been noted that the Lions can only offer these Operation Orange trips where they have chartered their own flights as opposed to flying commercial, which accounts for how most of the trips so far have been to Ssk, to which they always charter for logistical reasons.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Operation Orange probably would have been a one&done thing for me but I thought a trip to see a new stadium/returning CFL city would be fun so I signed up.

Have to admit I was one of those STH on the outside looking in the first time it was offered. IIRC, the offer hit the floor one morning and by the time I had heard about it (was at work for 10 hours that day) it was ALREADY SOLD OUT. So, when a chance to see the new Bombers came along, I signed up. Pretty much the same thought came to mind this time when I saw one trip was going to Ottawa. Looks like it would have been cheaper to go on my own but I'm going to be happy regardless.

In a way I'm kinda HOPING that I'll feel there wasn't enough time to really enjoy looking around. Part of the cost, as noted, is we'll be spending TWO nights, (instead of the customary one) in our hotel in Ottawa. One fun part for me is that our CREW (pilots/flight attendants) did spend the first half of the BOmber game cheering alongside us! IIRC, they left early to get the plane its last tune-up before we flew back to Vancouver...
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:......I initially had no clue what this was all about, especially this "Centerplate". Turns out it's the name of a catering company who handles food services @BCP.

So what's the big deal with them? Turns out their Pres/CEO, Desmond Hague, is alleged to have physically abused his dog — based on video footage recorded last month on an elevator security camera at a downtown Vancouver condo building.
Like I said attending games and boycotting Centerplate's food services would be the more sensible approach rather than boycotting games entirely. The teams have no control over the catering and the first tweet I quoted even acknowledges this. And I'm not blaming this story for low crowds this year as it only broke in the last few days. In fact I'd likely say it ultimately won't even be a significant drag on ticket sales, compared to everything else. I suspect most folks inclined to completely boycott BCP rarely if ever go there anyway. But it's still another barrier to maximising the gate and something I'm sure the Lions (and Whitecaps) would just as soon see go away.
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Center ... story.html

Well hopefully this story is over now. Hague has resigned. Shelly Fralic of the Vancouver Sun wrote a long front page piece in part dissappointed in how this story played out....
BC 1988
Legend

notahomer wrote: In a way I'm kinda HOPING that I'll feel there wasn't enough time to really enjoy looking around. Part of the cost, as noted, is we'll be spending TWO nights, (instead of the customary one) in our hotel in Ottawa.
The Lions should have mentioned that in the email ads--that you get an extra night in Ottawa for the higher cost. What day are they going there?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
notahomer wrote: In a way I'm kinda HOPING that I'll feel there wasn't enough time to really enjoy looking around. Part of the cost, as noted, is we'll be spending TWO nights, (instead of the customary one) in our hotel in Ottawa.
The Lions should have mentioned that in the email ads--that you get an extra night in Ottawa for the higher cost. What day are they going there?
Plane takes off at 7:30 AM......
BC 1988
Legend

notahomer wrote:Plane takes off at 7:30 AM......
Have a great trip. Hope the Lions make it worthwhile.
Spud387
Champion

Just got my Season Ticket renewal email and who would of thought... With record low attendance, poor entertainment quality and possibly losing their franchise QB, prices went up again!
Last edited by Spud387 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:Just got my Season Ticket renewal email and who would of thought... With record low attendance, poor entertainment quality and possibly loosing their franchise QB, prices went up again!
Where does it say that prices are increasing ? My email states that I can renew my season tickets at 2014 prices.
Spud387
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Spud387 wrote:Just got my Season Ticket renewal email and who would of thought... With record low attendance, poor entertainment quality and possibly loosing their franchise QB, prices went up again!
Where does it say that prices are increasing ? My email states that I can renew my season tickets at 2014 prices.
Right here:
Beginning today, you can secure your 2015 BC Lions season tickets at 2014 prices if you renew before our early bird deadline.
Provided you renewed on time, your 2014 tickets were at 2013 prices this year. For the upcoming year you can renew at 2014 prices if you renew by a deadline (which would be an increase to you as you're used to the 2013 price). If you do not renew by then, then you have to pay the 2015 price which would be a price increase on this current year.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

In fairness the average increase in base price from 2013 to 2014 (i.e., comparing non-early bird rates from one year to the next) is just over 2.5%, so those renew again for 2015 — after having paid 2013 prices for 2014 tickets — will now pay 2014 prices, and the increase will be this same percentage. I know nobody likes having to pay more each year but as price hikes go this one is pretty modest compared to some years in the last decade or so when they've been much larger.

base prices, not incl taxes & fees:

2013.....2014....category.........% inc
————————————————————————
$265.....$271....TD endzone.....2.26%
$368.....$377....TD corner........2.45%
$470.....$482....red zone.........2.55%
$630.....$648....sideline..........2.86%
$1025..$1050....club seats........2.44%
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

The outcome of the 2014 season has yet to be written of course, but the idea of hiking prices by even 2% based on entertainment value to date (without being forced to renew by their early bird deadline) is, frankly, galling and shows just how truly tone deaf this organization is.

The whispers in the media at just how 'stale' the Lions organization has become - from playbook to in-game presentation (which has not changed one iota since Week 1) are becoming louder. Moreover, I haven't heard a post-game phone board full of irate callers as the Ottawa game in some time.....following a win no less.

Being grateful to David Braley's contribution in saving the Lions and keeping them on solid footing AND welcoming a change in ownership need not be mutually exclusive.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:The 2014 season has yet to be written of course, but the idea of even hiking prices by even 2% based on entertainment value to date (without be forced to renew by their early bird deadline) is, frankly, galling and shows just how truly tone deaf this organization is.
Couldn't agree more. I emailed Skulsky following the Ottawa game regarding the lack of atmosphere at the Lions game, coaching, falling attendance etc. One of my comment was in the past renewing my season tickets was a non issue. This year I'm having trouble getting motivated to attend the games. Renewing my tickets is not automatic. Skulsky's comments ? He thanked me for sending along my thoughts and my passion to see the Lions do well and keep the faith. We'll be OK
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
David wrote:The 2014 season has yet to be written of course, but the idea of even hiking prices by even 2% based on entertainment value to date (without be forced to renew by their early bird deadline) is, frankly, galling and shows just how truly tone deaf this organization is.
Couldn't agree more. I emailed Skulsky following the Ottawa game regarding the lack of atmosphere at the Lions game, coaching, falling attendance etc. One of my comment was in the past renewing my season tickets was a non issue. This year I'm having trouble getting motivated to attend the games. Renewing my tickets is not automatic. Skulsky's comments ? He thanked me for sending along my thoughts and my passion to see the Lions do well and keep the faith. We'll be OK
Oh please tell me he didn't guarantee that...:)

Skulsky was turning the corner somewhat, given the family ticket pricing. But IF there is another increase after this season, he better not expect to have to shell out as many tickets for next seasons guaranteed win night.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'm STUNNED the Lions still have me as a ST Holder. If you had told me prior to becoming a ST Holder, that I could pay hundreds of dollars to go to 10 games OR sit at home, watching the same games in HiDef for NOTHING (cable is included in my rent), I would have said "I'll watch them at home, thank-you very much".

They still have me and I'll be renewing next season too. Seeing the game in the stadium is FUN and its nice to see the game 'in-stadium' Then again, partly for confusion purposes, partly because I love Lions football, I usually end up taking in a replay of home games TOO! There are things (like Durants injury last game) that you just don't know the details of that you get filled in pretty quickly on a TV broadcast.

I don't know when the Lions are going to get to my 'no mas' price point but hopefully they'll be able to function on the season ticket holder base they have....