All things Lions Marketing/Promotions 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:Here's my halftime show suggestion.

Two dozen mascots playing tackle football. Every week. That's it. Never-ending hilarity.
They already do mascot soccer once a year; that one's been going for ages now, since at least the 90s.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I didn't realize it until now, but ticket sales are already underway for the WSF at B.C. Place on Nov. 16, should the Lions finish second. According to the Ticketmaster map, most of the lower bowl and a good part of the upper bowl on both sidelines are shown as unavailable, although many of those seats are probably on hold for season ticketholders, who haven't yet been asked to put up any money or buy extra tickets.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

It seemed like a poorly designed survey but some of my problems were tech-wise. It froze a couple times. That being said, its just as likely that it was the computer I was using (NOT THEIR FAULT) as oppossed to how it was designed (their fault).

Its been at least 20years since I worked in market research, I'm sure computers have really improved the process. COmputers were just becoming part of day2day work backthen.....

sj-roc wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:Anybody take a look at the tickets sales for the Calgary game looks impressive, I know there is the guaranteed night tickets ,
Looks encouraging. Eyeballing it I'd say about 50% of the ten extra sections (upper deck behind visitors' bench) is sold, about 80% other side. It's about 500 seats per section, or 5000 each side so that's around 0.5x5000 + 0.8x5000 = about 6500. Lower bowl has (eyeballing) average about a dozen singles per section left, with capacity about 27100, call it 26500 sold and that puts the crowd at 33.0k so far. So, already near a season-high figure, wouldn't take much more; granted, this is with GWN comps — of the four eligible games this one almost certainly has the most.
if the the lions could win the next 2 games that game could get 35,000 , I could imagine what the attendance would have been if there was no guaranteed night.
Yet another reason I don't like all this crossover talk I'm hearing. "Let's cheer them down to 4th place!" What kind of sales pitch is that? I'd have to think there'd be better buzz for this home finale if we still had a shot at 2nd going in than if we were locked into a lower seed with nowhere to go.

How could there be 27,000 sold so far when the lower bowl is almost sold out . i say there is about 29,000 sold so far.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:Anybody take a look at the tickets sales for the Calgary game looks impressive, I know there is the guaranteed night tickets ,
Looks encouraging. Eyeballing it I'd say about 50% of the ten extra sections (upper deck behind visitors' bench) is sold, about 80% other side. It's about 500 seats per section, or 5000 each side so that's around 0.5x5000 + 0.8x5000 = about 6500. Lower bowl has (eyeballing) average about a dozen singles per section left, with capacity about 27100, call it 26500 sold and that puts the crowd at 33.0k so far. So, already near a season-high figure, wouldn't take much more; granted, this is with GWN comps — of the four eligible games this one almost certainly has the most.
if the the lions could win the next 2 games that game could get 35,000 , I could imagine what the attendance would have been if there was no guaranteed night.
Yet another reason I don't like all this crossover talk I'm hearing. "Let's cheer them down to 4th place!" What kind of sales pitch is that? I'd have to think there'd be better buzz for this home finale if we still had a shot at 2nd going in than if we were locked into a lower seed with nowhere to go.

How could there be 27,000 sold so far when the lower bowl is almost sold out . i say there is about 29,000 sold so far.
Who said anything about 27k sold so far?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
dupsdell1
Champion

maybee got my numbers crossed , any how picking one game to go to all year the calgary game will probebly be it , hope the lions cam beat edmonton that would make that game more meaningfull
dupsdell1
Champion

Do not want to bring up the same old song but my oh my, grey cup tickets are not selling , if the lions or Sask do not get there , I believe this game will not sell out. ticket prices to sit way up top on the 50 yard line $289.00 is crazy when you can sit in the end zone for $170.00 , if they do not sell out , blame brailey and the grey cup committee . CRAZY
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

dupsdell1 wrote:Do not want to bring up the same old song but my oh my, grey cup tickets are not selling , if the lions or Sask do not get there , I believe this game will not sell out. ticket prices to sit way up top on the 50 yard line $289.00 is crazy when you can sit in the end zone for $170.00 , if they do not sell out , blame brailey and the grey cup committee . CRAZY
I wouldn't blame Braley or the Cup committee. Braley stepped in to fill a void in the hosting rotation. He will make his money, whether the attendance is 48,000 or 54,000. As discussed earlier in the thread, this is a normal sales pattern for times when Vancouver hosts two Grey Cups within three or four years. I still think they'll get close to a sellout. No matter what happens, it will probably be Braley's last Grey Cup as a franchise owner. With all the new stadiums around the league, it will be a while before the Cup returns to Vancouver or Toronto.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

dupsdell1 wrote:Do not want to bring up the same old song but my oh my, grey cup tickets are not selling , if the lions or Sask do not get there , I believe this game will not sell out. ticket prices to sit way up top on the 50 yard line $289.00 is crazy when you can sit in the end zone for $170.00 , if they do not sell out , blame brailey and the grey cup committee . CRAZY
Need to check your price breaks. Way up top on the 50 are priced at $388 and they're all sold out save a few scattered singles. It's down closer to the endzone where the $388 sections get close to the $283 sections where the selling gets tough. Similarly where the $283 sections get close to the $178 sections they become tough to sell. That's just normal. Wherever you get sections on the border of the price breaks the cheaper priced sections are always easier to sell than the higher priced section next door. Really can't avoid that because you're going to have tiers to the pricing and whatever the breaks are that dynamic will always play out.

Right now the $178 tickets in both upper and lower bowl are pretty much sold out save for some scattered singles. Ditto for the $388 tickets between the 20s. The lower bowl and roughly the first 18 rows of the $283 tickets in the upper bowl are also mostly sold out save for scattered singles and pairs. It's the top dozen rows of the $283 and $388 (outside of the 20s) that remain tough sells at this point.

One good thing about Vancouver is the hotel room inventory is much larger, easily triple, maybe quadruple that of a place like Regina. This in turn may be impacting ticket sales as fans of teams like the Stamps, Esks and whomever may come out of the east can hold off until after the divisional finals to make travel arrangements and order tickets. The price of the tickets will not impact their decision to attend.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Dare I say a critical month ahead for the franchise.

With the Whitecaps season now over and the Canucks still in the beginnings of their 82 game journey, the Lions have an opportunity to captivate this market and it can start with a huge win Saturday in Edmonton. That would add plenty of intrigue for the home finale against the Stampeders that is already going to be the largest crowd of the season. A win at Commonweatlh would also serve notice the Lions could be a major player in the upcoming playoffs. Not a bad thing when you still have about 7,000 Grey Cup tickets to sell.

The 4 pm kickoff should also mean a huge BC tv audience as the game leads into the Canucks playing in Edmonton as well at 7.

With the cup not coming back here until at least 2020 and having watched the season ticket base slowly erode over the last 4-5 years, this is a chance for the club to somewhat stem the tide after a season that has featured too many poor performances at BC Place.
Definitely not the feeling of 2011 when the Lions were steamrolling over everyone but the potential is there if the offence can perform with more consistency.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:Dare I say a critical month ahead for the franchise.

With the Whitecaps season now over and the Canucks still in the beginnings of their 82 game journey, the Lions have an opportunity to captivate this market and it can start with a huge win Saturday in Edmonton. That would add plenty of intrigue for the home finale against the Stampeders that is already going to be the largest crowd of the season. A win at Commonweatlh would also serve notice the Lions could be a major player in the upcoming playoffs. Not a bad thing when you still have about 7,000 Grey Cup tickets to sell.

The 4 pm kickoff should also mean a huge BC tv audience as the game leads into the Canucks playing in Edmonton as well at 7.

With the cup not coming back here until at least 2020 and having watched the season ticket base slowly erode over the last 4-5 years, this is a chance for the club to somewhat stem the tide after a season that has featured too many poor performances at BC Place.
Definitely not the feeling of 2011 when the Lions were steamrolling over everyone but the potential is there if the offence can perform with more consistency.
I wonder if any tour company put together the Ultimate Vancouver Sports Fan Trip to Edmonton to see the Lions and Canucks.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:I wonder if any tour company put together the Ultimate Vancouver Sports Fan Trip to Edmonton to see the Lions and Canucks.
I don't remember exactly the layout of Edmonton's transit system at the Commonwealth station. Generally it's a slow process getting out of Commonwealth and onto a westbound train heading into town. That's the direction the majority are heading in post game and the only direction I've tried to go. Rexall is in the other direction. Maybe there's a way to do some sort of end around to circumvent the wall of folks trying to go west. I don't think it's logistically possible to do both games in their entirety. Option a) would be to duck out of the football game half way through the 4th quarter to get a head start on the rush to the trains to make puck drop for the hockey game. Option b) would be to see the entire football game and miss most of the 1st period of the hockey game given the football game would be ending within minutes of the hockey game starting. If one took Option b) likely the quickest way to get from Commonwealth to Rexall would be to walk the klick or 2 that it takes.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
DanoT wrote:I wonder if any tour company put together the Ultimate Vancouver Sports Fan Trip to Edmonton to see the Lions and Canucks.
I don't remember exactly the layout of Edmonton's transit system at the Commonwealth station. Generally it's a slow process getting out of Commonwealth and onto a westbound train heading into town. That's the direction the majority are heading in post game and the only direction I've tried to go. Rexall is in the other direction. Maybe there's a way to do some sort of end around to circumvent the wall of folks trying to go west. I don't think it's logistically possible to do both games in their entirety. Option a) would be to duck out of the football game half way through the 4th quarter to get a head start on the rush to the trains to make puck drop for the hockey game. Option b) would be to see the entire football game and miss most of the 1st period of the hockey game given the football game would be ending within minutes of the hockey game starting. If one took Option b) likely the quickest way to get from Commonwealth to Rexall would be to walk the klick or 2 that it takes.
I suppose the trip package DanoT is talking about, should it be available, could (ought to) include a chartered shuttle bus between the two venues to minimise this inconvenience. Certainly, if I were to entertain taking such a trip, I'd ask the agent if this could be part of the deal. Could even use that bus for the whole evening: from the hotel to Commonwealth to Rexall and back. If you're already springing for the flight from YVR and tickets for both games you might as well pay a bit extra for one less hassle and a ride everywhere — with a crowd of fellow fans, even.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I didn't realize it until now, but ticket sales are already underway for the WSF at B.C. Place on Nov. 16, should the Lions finish second. According to the Ticketmaster map, most of the lower bowl and a good part of the upper bowl on both sidelines are shown as unavailable, although many of those seats are probably on hold for season ticketholders, who haven't yet been asked to put up any money or buy extra tickets.
For only the 3rd time in the Lions 61 year franchise history. :cr:
SammyGreene wrote:With the Whitecaps season now over
Terrible call by the referee to rule a handball and give Dallas a penalty kick. :puke: :bang:
SammyGreene wrote:A win at Commonweatlh would also serve notice the Lions could be a major player in the upcoming playoffs.
To do so, the Lions better do a repeat of a comeback win exactly 27 years later since a game in Commonwealth on November 1, 1987 in which the Lions scored 17 points late in the fourth to take a 33-32 win to clinch first place.
[video][/video]
This time though, the Lions are trying to salvage second and a win still doesn't guarantee that though.
There were more than a few times in Lions franchise history in which the Lions had a chance to salvage second in the west and the right to host the WDSF but blew in the the crucial final games. Let this be one of those exceptional years...sort of like in 2011 in which the Lions didn't blow important final games and clinched first in the west.
SammyGreene wrote:The 4 pm kickoff should also mean a huge BC tv audience as the game leads into the Canucks playing in Edmonton as well at 7.
Anybody going to Edmonton for both games between Vancouver vs. Edmonton? Back in October 2007 a few of them went to Edmonton http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =3&t=13671 and ThreeTimesOneMinusOne posted several good pictures of his great weekend. It was a double win for Vancouver over Edmonton as both the Lions and Canucks got wins over the respective Eskimos and Oilers.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
I posted the above about two weeks ago and I just had another look at how seats are moving.

I don't know if this was announced formally or anything but since that last post I notice the Lions have opened up two more sections, one on either side of the upper deck behind the Lions' bench (i.e., adjacent to the budget-priced gemstone and family sections). So this means capacity is approx 27.1k (lower bowl) + 6k (12 sections upper deck Lions side) + 5k (10 sections upper deck visitors side) or about 38.1k. These two extra sections must have just opened Tuesday morning at the earliest because as I look right now, one section has literally NO sales while the other has just a measly four tickets gone. The tickets in these areas are selling at the two lowest price points of $44 (row GG and above) and $53 (row FF and below). The four sold tickets happen to be in the lowest row of $44 seats which is a small sample size but nonetheless in step with Hambone's point about the seats in a given price point that abut a higher price being the easiest sell; by the same token when the $53 tickets from this area begin to sell it will almost certainly start from the front row A and proceed back therefrom with the last $53 row (abutting the first $44 row) most likely to remain unsold.

As for eyeballing current sales: the lower bowl as it has been for a while IIRC is down to mostly singles (plus a small clump in each of two corners) so I'd call that part around 26.5k sold. Upper deck visitors side is ~60% sold for another 3k. Upper deck behind the Lions bench is about 80% sold in the ten prior sections for another 4k while the two new sections are almost completely unsold. Add it up and that comes to about 33.5k sold so far, which would be a season-high by a slight margin over the GWN game that triggered a decent chunk of this attendance.

I did all this estimation without first looking back at my previous numbers (didn't want these to influence me), though looking back now, I see this translates basically into 500 tickets sold in the added seats behind the visitors bench in the last two weeks and little in sales elsewhere. I have a feeling the Lions might have opened these cheaper seats purposely to see if they would move any faster than what's left in the higher-priced areas and that this would probably tell them something about the market demand for tickets — although with 2015 ST sales having already begun, I think this data would inform single-game 2015 ticket pricing only, at best.