All things Lions Marketing/Promotions 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I got my renewal notice today. With taxes and fees, the increase is $8.17 per seat for the season, or 81.7 cents per game. I can't complain about that. Most of my other expenses go up by a lot more than that each year.

I just hope next year's schedule is more fan-friendly, with more Saturday night games. I've already missed two games this year and don't want to miss any more.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
David wrote:The 2014 season has yet to be written of course, but the idea of even hiking prices by even 2% based on entertainment value to date (without be forced to renew by their early bird deadline) is, frankly, galling and shows just how truly tone deaf this organization is.
Couldn't agree more. I emailed Skulsky following the Ottawa game regarding the lack of atmosphere at the Lions game, coaching, falling attendance etc. One of my comment was in the past renewing my season tickets was a non issue. This year I'm having trouble getting motivated to attend the games. Renewing my tickets is not automatic. Skulsky's comments ? He thanked me for sending along my thoughts and my passion to see the Lions do well and keep the faith. We'll be OK
Oh please tell me he didn't guarantee that...:)

Skulsky was turning the corner somewhat, given the family ticket pricing. But IF there is another increase after this season, he better not expect to have to shell out as many tickets for next seasons guaranteed win night.
No he didn't make any guarantee. Guess he learned his lesson. :wink: I made him a guarantee that my renewal is not automatic like in previous years.
BC 1988
Legend

Did anyone at the last 2 home games notice the video they played prior to the player introductions? It is so much a homage (or a ripoff, depending on your point of view) to the Game of Thrones title sequence.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/s ... its-179656

In the Lion's version, the map of Canada showing CFL city strongholds and the music are so similar. I thought it was very well done. I haven't been able to find the Lions version of it online yet.
Spud387
Champion

BC 1988 wrote:Did anyone at the last 2 home games notice the video they played prior to the player introductions? It is so much a homage (or a ripoff, depending on your point of view) to the Game of Thrones title sequence.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/s ... its-179656

In the Lion's version, the map of Canada showing CFL city strongholds and the music are so similar. I thought it was very well done. I haven't been able to find the Lions version of it online yet.
ripoff? its called parody. (think of Wierd Al Yankovic). The intention is to be very similar to the Game of Thrones intro.

I think the first 1/2 is very well done. I don't like the music they transfer into. Very abrupt and without proper flow/transition.
dupsdell1
Champion

Notice Ticketmaster against Ottawa Skulsky opened up more sections take a look
Spud387
Champion

dupsdell1 wrote:Notice Ticketmaster against Ottawa Skulsky opened up more sections take a look
Ya, cause a lot of the free tickets were redeemed.
dupsdell1
Champion

Spud387 wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:Notice Ticketmaster against Ottawa Skulsky opened up more sections take a look

also the same for the Calgary game too. but that game will not mean anything for Calgary as they will already have locked up first or second place, The lions could be playing for a playoff spot.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:
Spud387 wrote:
also the same for the Calgary game too. but that game will not mean anything for Calgary as they will already have locked up first or second place, The lions could be playing for a playoff spot.
Those free tickets were all claimed by a club-imposed deadline of Sep 15. These extra sections weren't opened until after this. In fact if memory serves they didn't open up until sometime after the Argos game. So I don't think there will be any redemptions amongst them.

I notice (for the Ott game at least) there's a big island of unavailable seats, about 2-1/2 sections worth, just to the endzone side of the family seating area. I'm not sure if this area will remain tarped — which would seem peculiar, leaving a tarped island like this with a lot of seating to either side of it — or if this represents seats that were claimed in the GWN ticket redemption.

There's still a fair bit of seating left in the base capacity for both games, all the same.

Interesting that the added seating for the Ott game is all endzone seating while that for the Cgy game is all sideline seating, much like for Ssk. Reflects Cgy as a stronger draw (to the extent that they will pay for tickets, people will generally pay more to see them than an eastern team like Ott), and it looks like about half of the extra seating for the Cgy game is already sold.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:Interesting that the added seating for the Ott game is all endzone seating while that for the Cgy game is all sideline seating, much like for Ssk. Reflects Cgy as a stronger draw (to the extent that they will pay for tickets, people will generally pay more to see them than an eastern team like Ott), and it looks like about half of the extra seating for the Cgy game is already sold.
I wonder if they aren't tossing out a bit of a trial balloon. Those upper deck endzone sections you mention are priced at $53 and $44. It seems they are able to sell most of the $53 seats in the upper part of the UD sideline and other than the upper part of 207 & 209 have sold a high percentage of lower bowl $53 ducats. I'm thinking they're doing some things like this at this point to see if there is an appetite for upper deck seats at those price points. It seems to be a challenge selling the $44 seats at the back of the lower bowl sections so maybe they want to find out if there might be a better market for the same seats in the lower rows of the upper deck.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Interesting that the added seating for the Ott game is all endzone seating while that for the Cgy game is all sideline seating, much like for Ssk. Reflects Cgy as a stronger draw (to the extent that they will pay for tickets, people will generally pay more to see them than an eastern team like Ott), and it looks like about half of the extra seating for the Cgy game is already sold.
I wonder if they aren't tossing out a bit of a trial balloon. Those upper deck endzone sections you mention are priced at $53 and $44. It seems they are able to sell most of the $53 seats in the upper part of the UD sideline and other than the upper part of 207 & 209 have sold a high percentage of lower bowl $53 ducats. I'm thinking they're doing some things like this at this point to see if there is an appetite for upper deck seats at those price points. It seems to be a challenge selling the $44 seats at the back of the lower bowl sections so maybe they want to find out if there might be a better market for the same seats in the lower rows of the upper deck.
I too was thinking there was some sort of experiment going on here. I wonder if we would ever see the Lions go Whitecaps-style somewhat: tarp off those hard-sell lower bowl seats at the back of the endzones, to maybe set up a better balance between upper deck and lower bowl sales. Crowd sizes are a bit awkward right now in that it's barely worth opening the upper deck, yet if you close it, there'd be a negative perception attached to this decision and some fans would be turned away. Consistently under 25k, there's no doubt you'd go LB only. Consistently over 30k and pushing 35k, likewise there's no doubt you want at least some of the UD open at all times. We're stuck in that vague middle ground between these clear options, and compounding matters is the fact that the long-term average Lions crowd also falls in this window. This makes it challenging to set a reasonable capacity strategy and stick with it for any length of time.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I redeemed my freebies for the Sept. 13 Winnipeg game and managed to get tickets in my regular end-zone section but people around me who tried to redeem theirs for the Ottawa or Calgary games said they found nothing available other than in the top corners of the upper deck. It looks like the Calgary crowd will be the biggest of the season, thanks in part to the guaranteed win.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I redeemed my freebies for the Sept. 13 Winnipeg game and managed to get tickets in my regular end-zone section but people around me who tried to redeem theirs for the Ottawa or Calgary games said they found nothing available other than in the top corners of the upper deck. It looks like the Calgary crowd will be the biggest of the season, thanks in part to the guaranteed win.
Will we see a lot of Rider fans "voting strategically" in their cheering? :/
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Lots of people (including me) redeemed for the Argos game. My regular neighboors were sitting elsewhere.

If I had a friend who'd offered me a ticket and I wasn't a season ticket holder, I'd have gone for either the Ottawa game or the Calgary game. Ottawa just because they are BACK and its great to have helmets with a BIG WHITE R on them again. Calgary because these games are often good. The kind of game I go home, even after a loss, and think, man that was an enjoyable evening.

I think it'll be nice to have a few extra in the crowds for the rest of the years games.....
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

notahomer wrote:Lots of people (including me) redeemed for the Argos game. My regular neighboors were sitting elsewhere.

If I had a friend who'd offered me a ticket and I wasn't a season ticket holder, I'd have gone for either the Ottawa game or the Calgary game. Ottawa just because they are BACK and its great to have helmets with a BIG WHITE R on them again. Calgary because these games are often good. The kind of game I go home, even after a loss, and think, man that was an enjoyable evening.

I think it'll be nice to have a few extra in the crowds for the rest of the years games.....
Even though some fans didn't like the guarantee win promotion I think it was a very creative way to paper the place and get big crowds. I just hope the Lions don't continue to shoot themselves in the foot with complicated blocking that doesn't work and boring offence that puts the fans to sleep.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Even though some fans didn't like the guarantee win promotion I think it was a very creative way to paper the place and get big crowds. I just hope the Lions don't continue to shoot themselves in the foot with complicated blocking that doesn't work and boring offence that puts the fans to sleep.
and I think I'd have been QUITE happy had the Lions been able to follow through on Skulsky's 'guarantee'.