All things Lions Marketing/Promotions 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Ravi wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Johnson has been a non factor in all of the Als game so far.
And he was almost invisible at B.C. Place.
Johnson's refusal to adapt and utilize the waggle or other motion is very odd as is the Als playing him as a wide side WR. He should be playing as a SB, closer to the action and utilizing his speed on slants and quick passes.
David
Team Captain

sj roc wrote:There's a poll on teamradio.ca right now asking "How long will it be before Whitecaps are second biggest sports franchise in Vancouver?" Options are 1-3yrs, 3-5yrs, 5-10yrs, 10-20yrs, and Never.
The impetus behind the question was Whitecaps radio pbp announcer and team shill Peter Schaad tweeting, "@TheSportMarket @TEAM1040 @WhitecapsFC The equity value (according to Forbes) is 86 million. 13th in the league."

I am not sure how Forbes comes up with these ridiculous valuations, but I am pretty sure if the Whitecaps' owner put his team up for sale tomorrow, he may have to settle for something less than $86MM. :hmm: I mean, I could list my house for $3.5MM dollars, but that doesn't mean I am going to get it. IMO, the true measure of the MLS is when their absurdly overpriced expansion fees dry up. Right now they have teams going to Miami (possibly the worst sports market in North America), Atlanta (soccer in July? Yea! Sign me up), and a 2nd team in New York (to play out of Yankee stadium(!) until a soccer specific stadium is built. They haven't even so much as turned sod yet).

I'm not saying there isn't organic growth with that league, but problem franchises persist (Chivas is on life support), we see consistently tepid league-wide TV numbers, and there is that aforementioned franchise Ponzi scheme that no one seems to mention. How much does franchise fees feed into teams' bottom lines?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Whitecaps worth $86 million ? I'll have what's he drinking
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Saw an advertisement on Global TV last night for the Montreal Aloettes game :dizzy: This was about 11:30ish Saturday night.
I don't remember seeing any adverts on any local station before that one (when the game was long over).

As for this weeks game? Big spread in todays Province showcasing Geroy Simon night. Haven't gotten around to reading the paper itself, a friend was showing me the advertisement. There are 200 autographed Simon jersies to be had. The 'collector cup' from the Stadium soda fountain will be a Simon cup and free Geroy Simon posters will be handed out after the game......
Bosco
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:

There are 200 autographed Simon jersies to be had. ..
Yes, but at what cost? The Lions so called marketing "strategy" :hmm: usually always consists of opportunities for their fans to spend more money.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
notahomer wrote:

There are 200 autographed Simon jersies to be had. ..
Yes, but at what cost? The Lions so called marketing "strategy" :hmm: usually always consists of opportunities for their fans to spend more money.
I was HOPING, that some of them might get given away. I guess we'll see...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Ravi wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Johnson has been a non factor in all of the Als game so far.
And he was almost invisible at B.C. Place.
Johnson's refusal to adapt and utilize the waggle or other motion is very odd as is the Als playing him as a wide side WR. He should be playing as a SB, closer to the action and utilizing his speed on slants and quick passes.
Do we know for a fact that Johnson is refusing to adapt?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
sj roc wrote:There's a poll on teamradio.ca right now asking "How long will it be before Whitecaps are second biggest sports franchise in Vancouver?" Options are 1-3yrs, 3-5yrs, 5-10yrs, 10-20yrs, and Never.
The impetus behind the question was Whitecaps radio pbp announcer and team shill Peter Schaad tweeting, "@TheSportMarket @TEAM1040 @WhitecapsFC The equity value (according to Forbes) is 86 million. 13th in the league."

I am not sure how Forbes comes up with these ridiculous valuations, but I am pretty sure if the Whitecaps' owner put his team up for sale tomorrow, he may have to settle for something less than $86MM. :hmm: I mean, I could list my house for $3.5MM dollars, but that doesn't mean I am going to get it. IMO, the true measure of the MLS is when their absurdly overpriced expansion fees dry up. Right now they have teams going to Miami (possibly the worst sports market in North America), Atlanta (soccer in July? Yea! Sign me up), and a 2nd team in New York (to play out of Yankee stadium(!) until a soccer specific stadium is built. They haven't even so much as turned sod yet).

I'm not saying there isn't organic growth with that league, but problem franchises persist (Chivas is on life support), we see consistently tepid league-wide TV numbers, and there is that aforementioned franchise Ponzi scheme that no one seems to mention. How much does franchise fees feed into teams' bottom lines?

Latest teamradio.ca poll is "What was on your TV this weekend?" with these results at the moment:

Lions: 48.9%
Whitecaps: 22.2%
British Open: 15.6%
MLB: 13.3%

Wonder if people who picked Lions actually watched on TV (presumably hi-def, or was there no SD blackout?) or attended in person. Either way, a big edge for the Lions here.

Re: MLS team evaluations, what was the selling price (and when?) the last time an MLS team changed hands? At any rate I wouldn't read too much into MLS team evaluations as a metric of how their presence on the Canadian sports landscape compares to the CFL as the latter has only relatively marginal access (if any, depending on how you look at it) to the US market.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

About 30,000 expected for Friday's tilt at BC Place, per NEWS1130 via Twitter. It could just be the Lions throwing out a number as it looks like they're a good deal away from that judging by the Tickermaster seating chart.
NEWS1130 wrote: News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 18m

Expect around 30,000 tomorrow night at B.C Place on Geroy Simon night. #BCLions
Also, Save-On Foods has partnered with the Lions whereby shoppers can redeem their points for tickets to the Lions/Saskatchewan Roughriders game on August 24 DETAILS HERE.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
dupsdell1
Champion

Yes I think the lions also are throwing numbers out there I say they get 28,000 at the most.

I think playing on a Friday night is better than a sat afternoon ( which the afternoon game day honeymoon is over ) I will say it again ( even if you can open the roof ) BC IS TOO BIG IT HAS BEEN FOR YEARS , and I predicted this was going to happen , just listing to Mat Sakaras 1040, saying David Brailey has not done a good job with the Argos, I believe David Brailey ( sorry about the spelling ) has lost his touch as a owner , it is time for him to move on , .
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:About 30,000 expected for Friday's tilt at BC Place, per NEWS1130 via Twitter. It could just be the Lions throwing out a number as it looks like they're a good deal away from that judging by the Tickermaster seating chart.
NEWS1130 wrote: News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 18m

Expect around 30,000 tomorrow night at B.C Place on Geroy Simon night. #BCLions
I agree they're just floating numbers (nothing wrong with that if it creates buzz). At this point the seats sold upstairs don't look to make up for the empty ones downstairs, i.e., less than a lower bowl (~27k capacity) sellout. Somewhere in the 26k's, tops, at the moment, perhaps even only 25k's. Dunno about the first two games but the $30 family and tailgate zone tickets haven't moved much so far for this one. Also, no trouble to see where the cheapest upper deck midfield seats cut off. I'd say some of those ticketbuyers will end up moving down a few rows as the game proceeds.

It will be the best crowd so far this year but that's pretty faint praise.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
dupsdell1
Champion

I agree 100 % terrible marketing tactics by the lions if they only get 26-27 k , my high school graduating nephew ( who is studying in business this year at ubc ) knows better than to do that.
ik17
Rookie

dupsdell1 wrote:I agree 100 % terrible marketing tactics by the lions if they only get 26-27 k , my high school graduating nephew ( who is studying in business this year at ubc ) knows better than to do that.
Keep in mind though that it's not coming directly from the Lions... could just be speculation...
dupsdell1
Champion

That's true usually if it is from the lions on twitter it usually says .
David
Team Captain

True, but News1130 isn't going to pull a number out of the sky. They've obviously talked to someone from within the Lions' organization. I believe Rick Dhaliwal writes at least some of these Tweets. He also has a good relationship with David Braley. Not saying that's where the info comes from, but that could explain it.

Roar, You Lions, Roar