Training Camp 2014 ... Day 17

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
So far T-Dre Player, B.C.’s first selection in this year’s CFL draft, and J. T. Dill, a 316-pound import international from Rutgers, are in the mix for the left guard position. Andre Ramsey, Nyere Aumaitre and Cam Thorn are battling for the guard spot.
Andre Ramsey as a guard ?
One thing you can count on with a Jim Morris (Canadian Press) article is a lot of mistakes. He also claims that Alex Bazzie is a defensive tackle - after listing his weight at 228 lbs! I mean, even if you didn't know Alex Bazzie from a hole in the ground, wouldn't 228 lbs kind of tip you off that he's an end?!?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lowell Ullrich breaks down the secondary:
Dante Marsh is back for his 11th season as the short-side cornerback. He’ll be joined by Cord Parks, who replaces (Josh) Bell. Ryan Phillips will play wide-side half again, but expect him to move anywhere if a need arises.

J.R. LaRose has been told he will again start at safety, but the Lions are at least trying to create options if there is a need for a change in the middle. Matt McGarva is still behind LaRose. Torri Williams (Purdue) could play there as well.

Parks’ wide-side corner spot will go to import/international Ronnie Yell (San Jose State), but there are times when Canadian Keynan Parker could play corner.

Josh Johnson (Purdue) took Banks’ spot at nickel early in camp and hasn’t let it go, though he is being pushed by Tony Burnett (USC) and John Hardy-Tuliau (Hawaii), who moves up after the exit of Brandon McDonald.

T.J. Lee (Eastern Washington) will need to be flawless against Calgary Friday in order to stick.
I'm looking forward to seeing this secondary in action. They'll be aggressive and physical. The development of Keynan Parker at cornerback gives the Lions options to use Williams or Burnett at safety in some packages.

Williams, Burnett, Hardy-Tuliau and Lee seem to be in a battle for the last secondary spot on the game-day roster. As LU notes, Lee is the longest of longshots among that bunch.

LU has lots more about LaRose's battles on and off the field.

Ullrich: Lions' LaRose brushes off minor setbacks: Problems with the Lions or on the field are nothing compared to what he’s been through
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
So far T-Dre Player, B.C.’s first selection in this year’s CFL draft, and J. T. Dill, a 316-pound import international from Rutgers, are in the mix for the left guard position. Andre Ramsey, Nyere Aumaitre and Cam Thorn are battling for the guard spot.
One thing you can count on with a Jim Morris (Canadian Press) article is a lot of mistakes. He also claims that Alex Bazzie is a defensive tackle - after listing his weight at 228 lbs! I mean, even if you didn't know Alex Bazzie from a hole in the ground, wouldn't 228 lbs kind of tip you off that he's an end?!?

He's also having trouble with the new terms National and International players
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:

Laziness, plain and simple........obviously, he doesn't follow what's happening in camp even as closely as the contributors on this board.........sadly, I believe there are a lot of media types just like him......and even more sadly, their votes count when the league selects all stars and things like that.
Lloyd
Blitz
Team Captain

I still ache over the loss of Korey Banks, my favorite Leo for the past number of seasons but I also loved Carl Kidd before him and realize that football life goes on as a Leo supporter.

I really believe Josh Johnson could become the 'next' one, in terms of football character, on our B.C. Lions defense and a new favorite player of mine. He is very aggressive, tough as nails, has excellent anticipation skills, and he 'brings it' on every play with a very competitive attitude. He is the style of player our defense needs to compliment linebackers like Adam Bighill and Sol E. at linebacker.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in action again on Friday.

It will also be interesting to see how Torri Williams performs at safety when we insert Parker at field corner. Despite pleas from Lionbackers for change, LaRose will start the season at free safety (looks like Ronnie Yell is first on the depth chart as our starting field corner but our Leos are also looking at a package of Parker and an import safety should Benevedes/Washington determine that is a better option.

I see that Benevedes substituted popsicles for ice cream to go along with a soccer game as training camp wound down - hope he didn't run around doing high fives with the players or chest bumps though - his jumping chest bumps need much better timing and more than a one inch vertical.. :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Mike Beamish in the Vancouver Sun breaks down the defensive line:
Lions' Brandon Jordan approves of less contact
What would Jim Spavitol think of this ?
pennw
Legend

David wrote: One thing you can count on with a Jim Morris (Canadian Press) article is a lot of mistakes. He also claims that Alex Bazzie is a defensive tackle - after listing his weight at 228 lbs! I mean, even if you didn't know Alex Bazzie from a hole in the ground, wouldn't 228 lbs kind of tip you off that he's an end?!?
In fairness to him , even the roster on the Lions own website lists Bazzie as a DT . Having said that , he seems to small to even be a DE , actually LBer sized and a smallish one at that if you go by NFL standards , unless of course the info provided is wrong . About the same size as Sol-E .
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:An observation. One big concern about any sports team is leadership and the loss of it when older core leaders depart. The Lions have endured their share of that what with the likes of Geroy, Banks, Reid and Keron Williams to name a few. I'm a believer that as core leaders depart there are always leaders-in-waiting who have been in the background absorbing and learning from the old guard. They are ready to step up and become the next core leaders. It's like from Flanders Field and the iconic images and statement on the walls of the Montreal Canadiens dressing room "To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high". I never worry too much about a leadership void because I believe as leaders leave new ones are ready to step up and fill that void. The reason I raise this sentiment is because of Andrew Harris who I think may be Exhibit A. Sure there was the "good riddance" tweet when Khalif was traded. One can take his CBA comment about how united the union was in a couple of ways. However everything else I've heard from him since camp started has oozed of leadership. He sounds like a guy who isn't just willing but wants to accept that torch of leadership. Count me as impressed. II think this is an extremely positive sign coming out of camp. Just as positive as many things on the field.
Team leadership is critical as you note and I have always liked the Montreal Canadien use of that line. I found this too online below but for some reason did they not add the words or some like these - You are the Montreal Canadiens. -- this I might have imagined maybe.
"To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high."
Since 1952-53, at the suggestion of then team head coach Dick Irvin Sr., these words have been emblazoned in the Canadiens dressing room, first at the Forum, and now at the Bell Centre.
http://www.hhof.com/htmlExhibits/exDressRoom.shtml

The best US university teams in football seem to get this right and establish a winning tradition of passing the torch at the RIGHT TIME to the RIGHT PEOPLE.

It strikes me that there are teams in pro sports where you really question what kind of team leadership exists in the player core as it can't be just be one or two. It has to be a leadership group that is strong in numbers and not all of them can be vocal.

The question is: Are these just old vets who average down their team's performance or the guys who elevate everyone to meet a high standard every game on every play?

The second critical ingredient is that this core has to be 100% committed to the coaching staff's vision and plans as the coach is not going to be out on the field when players are doing their jobs.

Some core players will lead purely by example and this transfers to team mates.

There was a time in the Lions when the REC corps seemed to have too much say with the HC and got coaches on offense shifted up and downstairs in games. That to me is the leadership gone awry UNLESS the HC is asking everyone which is legit to privately come in and state what their views on why they are failing. That wasn't the case back then.

Part of me thinks Geroy might have been viewed by the Lions as a guy who might not suck it up and take on a reduced role - and look and sound happy - in a Lion uniform even if he decided to play for half price.

Paris Jackson was one who sucked it up as we know now from his statements from Ottawa. I was shocked at how much he took the reduced role for at least his last 3 years. I am surprised he's saying it now.

Andrew Harris sounds like a feel good story and I think his courage of speaking out and being filmed with his long lost unknown father speaks volumes about his growth as a person and will - I am sure - be a positive role model for others - who are in similar situations to him and wonder what they should do. I was blown away by how open he was including letting his dad and girl friend be interviewed.

I think Harris might be one who needs to let his play do the talking though. It was coming into last season he stated how he wanted to be a leader in the side and then when he was misused (err NOT used) he showed the wrong leadership that hurts in a football team. He is not a bad guy for that - he's just not wired to sit on the sidelines or not get the ball like Paris Jackson did and know he can add value.

The more vocal leaders other listen to seriously are those who turn up on every down and their actions speak louder than their words and who players see as 100% committed to the cause - and not personal agendas. A tricky mix for pros.

Geroy seemed to have looked like a guy who helped others and was outwardly happy last year. He grew. Maybe Andrew is that way too now.

I always wonder if the Canucks leadership group is starting to be stale as to the mix - not the quality of the players.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Okay, okay, we've got a lot of football left to be played here in 2014, but still, the LIons will continue holding Training Camp at its recent home in Kamloops until at least 2017! Every year I say I'm gonna go and never get there. Hope to take in a training camp. Good excuse to get out of the city and take in some early season Lions action.........

http://bclions.com/article/bc-lions-ext ... p-contract
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The facilities in Kamloops are a top-notch. I'd be happy to attend an Island or Okanagan training camp at some point for a change of pace, but until then I look forward to starting each season by spending at least a few days in Kamloops in early June.