Lions have signed Jyles as TC barometer.....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

the-real-hugo
Rookie

I was thinking the same thing Hambone. Clearly having some CFL experience in your QB's at camp is crucial to evaluating the rest of the talent, so signing Jyles makes sense. Perhaps Wally is waiting it out with Ottawa, who knows. I will say this, for all the times I've questioned moves by Buono, I can say that he's never failed to have a good roster of QB's on any of his teams. This is probably another one of those years.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

the-real-hugo wrote:I was thinking the same thing Hambone. Clearly having some CFL experience in your QB's at camp is crucial to evaluating the rest of the talent, so signing Jyles makes sense. Perhaps Wally is waiting it out with Ottawa, who knows. I will say this, for all the times I've questioned moves by Buono, I can say that he's never failed to have a good roster of QB's on any of his teams. This is probably another one of those years.
And having said what I did I don''t think it's in Buono's DNA to sign a player simply to use him as a pawn as Sekeras suggested. I don't think given their druthers no GM or HC likes to enter a season with absolutely zero CFL playing experience in their backups which is where the Lions were finding themselves. There weren't a lot of options out on the used QB lots. As things have unfolded it's obvious to me Elliott was to provide that experience only until they found a better option. Glenn was Plan A but he would come at a cost in terms of assets, apparently significant assets. Jyles became Plan B and one who would cost nothing but some ink to sign the contract and a salary that I think would be a lesser hit on the SMS. In hindsight obviously they feel Jyles is an upgrade over Elliott and I have to agree. Elliott's release was likely just the signal that they had agreed to terms with Jyles. In the grand scheme of things I prefer getting Jyles for nothing as opposed to giving up assets to get Glenn. I think he enters a much more favourable environment for succeeding when called upon than he was in when in the Eskimo gong show after the Ray trade.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Casey Printers is available. Just saying...........
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

As is Ben Sankey......
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Was surprised to hear this. Shows that over time people sure move around in professional sports. At one time I would have NEVER thought Jyles would be strapping on a BC Lions helmet but now that its going to happen, it makes sense.

Sure hope the QB's 'under development' take some of those steps over training camp and into this season. :dizzy:
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Casey Printers is available. Just saying...........
I wonder if he thinks the Lions have chicken salad for him to work with. :cool:
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
To be fair, that 2007 Chiefs team did finish 4-12. So was Casey really all that wrong?
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
Rammer wrote:
To be fair, that 2007 Chiefs team did finish 4-12. So was Casey really all that wrong?
More to my point though, what would CP think of the 2014 Lion team.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Rammer wrote: More to my point though, what would CP think of the 2014 Lion team.
He'd probably be willing to take a job here (or anywhere) at this point in whatever may be left of his career.