Joey Elliott released

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Just learned from News1130 that the club has released quarterback Joey Elliott. Is this guy not the Rodney Dangerfield of the BC Lions? Has he ever been given a legitimate shot to be a back-up?
News1130 Sports @News1130Sports

The Lions have released quarterback Joey Elliott - they will sign 1-2 more qbs - have 4 on roster now.
Despite adding 1-2 more QBs before camp, is it wise to go into the season without a back-up who's played in the league before (Chris Hart's PR spot last year hardly qualifies as 'experience')?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

That is a head scratcher......I wonder if LU can ferret out the reason why the Lions organization had no use for Elliot? Why bring the guy in, if you have no intention of giving him any kind of chance?
Lloyd
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

News1130 reported the Elliott release along with this Lulay update:
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports ·12m
#BCLions - very encouraging as qb Travis Lulay throwing 30-35 yards to his receivers yesterday at the Lions practise facility.
It's been apparent for some time that the Lions viewed Elliott only as emergency depth. After trying hard but failing to land Kevin Glenn as veteran insurance in a trade with Ottawa, the Lions are left with backup QBs Chris Hart, Jarrett Lee and John Beck, none of whom has ever played in a CFL game.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I find this entire treatment of Joey Elliott strange.

Teams bring him in. He shows flashes. He looks like a gunslinger throwing for over 300 yards. Then he is relegated to the bench or released.

Thank you very much.

Uhhm, if we get a number of injuries, and if our other guys don't pan out, if we are desperate, we might, maybe, just ... ummm ... give you a call. Would you be pumped up for that?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

Wouldn't it have more apropos to release him on the fist of April? That way we wouldn't really know what his status was with the Lions, especially since his time with the Lions was rather insignificant, yet showed the business side of the CFL.

I am not remiss about him being released, as it did not seem like the Lions really wanted to use him for one reason or another. But why wouldn't this release have happened earlier, just for his sake, as he was rather good to return to the team rather than pursue compensation on his previous release.

I have to speculate that the new QB's must have showed well somewhere to figure into this development, otherwise this makes little sense for 2014.
Entertainment value = an all time low
JohnHenry
Champion

Evaluating QB's is probably one area the Lions shouldn't be questioned (although I thought Jarret Brown looked great at practice). There must have been a reason why Joey Elliot was given such minimal opportunity, with the Lions releasing him twice in the past 6 months.

John Beck has started games in the NFL, while that doesn't mean that much in the CFL, at least he should be accustomed to the pressure of playing pro ball.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I too find it strange the Lions are releasing Elliott now as opposed to earlier in the off season.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Is it possible we are about to hear of the acquisition of Kevin Glenn by the Lions? That would make more sense of the Elliot release at this time.
Lloyd
Odie
Rookie

If this news is true, I am left with mixed feelings... first, I was quite excited when the lion brought Eliot in last season. While I don't think he has been the best practice QB, the guy has shown flashes of really having some of those special intangibles during game situations. I have always admired that gunslinging mentality - especially in guys like Dunnigan and Pierce - and thought Eliot of that ilk. I have been perplexed that the Lions have not seen fit to let the guy play when the bullets were really flying, especially as Demarco stumbled along at times last season. It is a great disappointment to me that they did not give him the chance or the faith they professed they had in him when he was initially signed.

Secondly, I wonder where this is leading. Buono is usually an acute judge of his team (well...excepting in the case of a certain D end from a few years back...) and it would strike me as odd that he would bring his team into the season with only one QB with any real game experience (who is coming of fairly serious off-season surgery) on the roster. Lulay has been at his best when pushed by Riley (who I was really sad to see go) or Pierce or Jackson... what do we have this year? This makes me think something bigger is on the horizon... something like Kevin Glenn or someone else out there with some sort of experience. I doubt the lions will be content to let the young guns duke it out in camp for #2... either that or is Hart really something??? Guess we shall see!

QBs aside, lets get some serious D linemen - D wins championships!

Bring on the season!
David
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Is it possible we are about to hear of the acquisition of Kevin Glenn by the Lions? That would make more sense of the Elliot release at this time.
LU indicated this is likely more about QB John Beck than anything else. He's been in town this week throwing with Travis.

I am no longer interested in Kevin Glenn. The price will be too steep and the franchise simply doesn't have the depth at this time to afford Glenn, not after releasing guys like Anton McKenzie - who would have made sense to deal - with possibly a draft pick and/or non-import receiver.

I hate to give up important assets, especially a starter(s) for someone who's not likely to see the field all that much. Or so one would hope.....

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

David wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:Is it possible we are about to hear of the acquisition of Kevin Glenn by the Lions? That would make more sense of the Elliot release at this time.
LU indicated this is likely more about QB John Beck than anything else. He's been in town this week throwing with Travis.

I am no longer interested in Kevin Glenn. The price will be too steep and the franchise simply doesn't have the depth at this time to afford Glenn, not after releasing guys like Anton McKenzie - who would have made sense to deal - with possibly a draft pick and/or non-import receiver.

I hate to give up important assets, especially a starter(s) for someone who's not likely to see the field all that much. Or so one would hope.....

Maybe Glenn has decided to stay in Ottawa and they'll trade Henry Burris here instead?

(that's a joke, son)
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:Evaluating QB's is probably one area the Lions shouldn't be questioned (although I thought Jarret Brown looked great at practice). There must have been a reason why Joey Elliot was given such minimal opportunity, with the Lions releasing him twice in the past 6 months.

John Beck has started games in the NFL, while that doesn't mean that much in the CFL, at least he should be accustomed to the pressure of playing pro ball.
One merely has to recall that Buono was going to cut Jeff Garcia at the end of TC, he doesn't always have it all figured out regarding the QB position.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Count me as only being surprised that he wasn't released earlier in the offseason. I really didn't expect him to be on the TC roster. I think the club learned enough about JE last year to know he wasn't in any long range plans. His release last fall was indication of that. The subsequent re-signing was merely an insurance thing when Lulay went down. It made sense at the time to bring him back given he at least had some familiarity with the offence as opposed. If they had to press him into service at least he had a reasonable enough grasp of the offence to give the club a chance of winning as opposed to someone else airlifted in who would have to pick it up from scratch.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Waiting for the announcement that he has sign a contract with the RedBlacks.