Lions sign Hunter Steward

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The BC Lions Football Club announced this morning that offensive lineman Hunter Steward has agreed to terms on a contract with the team.
A hulking 6'6" and 312 lbs, Steward was the club’s first selection (sixth overall) in the 2013 CFL Draft and spent the last three years at Liberty University. The Victoria resident who has spent the last six years stateside was the starting left tackle for the Flames over the past two seasons after spending his first year as a reserve on the school’s defensive line.
“Hunter is a big, athletic offensive lineman who has tremendous upside,” said VP of football operations and GM Wally Buono. “When you add the acquisition of Hunter to our offensive line which already includes Matt Norman and Kirby Fabien, it certainly gives us a bright future.”
Steward and other first-year Leos will hit the field for the first time in May when the club stages a three-day mini-camp in Kamloops (May 29, 30, 31) prior to the start of training camp on June 1st.
Hunter Steward and Wally Buono talk about today's news:

Thank you for your support as a BC Lions season ticket holder!
Serving you with PRIDE,
Your BC Lions Fan Customer Services Team
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

A draft that was somewhat criticized at the time could turn into a good one yet. The top 2 picks Steward and Haidara are in the fold. McGarva was looking promising until felled by injury. Ditto Albright until lost in the expansion draft. Lokombo could yet find his way north and if he makes an impact could turn it into a great draft.

I was thumbing through 2 different NFL Draft Preview magazines at the Phoenix airport on Monday. He wasn't listed amongst the top 25 OLB prospects in either one. In one he did even get mentioned amongst the "others to watch" outside of the top 25. The other mag didn't mention him at all. It would seem he's at best a longshot to be drafted. His recent labrum injury won't help his cause. If he isn't drafted I'm not sure any teams would roll the dice on him as a priority undrafted FA signing if he won't be healthy enough to participate in mini-camps.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote: Watkins did play LT at Baylor but looking at his size it's easy to see why the Eagles moved him inside. While he did play tackle Mel Kiper had him listed as the top guard prospect in the 2011 draft. He's listed as 6'3" 310# and showed tremendous strength in combine results. That seems more suitable for inside play against those big NFL tackles. Both leagues prefer a tackle to be taller with good wingspan.
Actually the good wingspan was exactly the comment that Buono made about Watkins when he drafted him.....it seems Watkins has disproportionately long arms.
Lloyd
MexicoLionFan
Legend

As others have already echoed, its a great signing for the Leos...he's a big kid, with excellent college experience that can and will improve as he matures...at 6'6", its do-able at Guard...most coaches draw the guard line at 6'6" with a preference for 6'2" to 6'4"...

And while Hunter may not start for the Lions this year, I'll wager that he will be a starting Guard before the regular season is over...and Wally is right, an interior of Steward, Norman, and Fabien IS good news for the future, and the NOW!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MexicoLionFan wrote:As others have already echoed, its a great signing for the Leos...he's a big kid, with excellent college experience that can and will improve as he matures...at 6'6", its do-able at Guard...most coaches draw the guard line at 6'6" with a preference for 6'2" to 6'4"...

And while Hunter may not start for the Lions this year, I'll wager that he will be a starting Guard before the regular season is over...and Wally is right, an interior of Steward, Norman, and Fabien IS good news for the future, and the NOW!
And maybe that's what they're looking for. While there is a positional transition from tackle to guard I think guard is the easiest position to learn and play on the OL or at least it should be a faster track for a talented rookie to become a starter at guard than tackle. Fabien was playing RG before he went down. Steward was playing LT at Liberty. Benevides and Buono may be thinking it's not all that unrealistic for Steward to slide over one spot and be able to openly compete for the starting LG position right out of camp.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Hambone wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:As others have already echoed, its a great signing for the Leos...he's a big kid, with excellent college experience that can and will improve as he matures...at 6'6", its do-able at Guard...most coaches draw the guard line at 6'6" with a preference for 6'2" to 6'4"...

And maybe that's what they're looking for. While there is a positional transition from tackle to guard I think guard is the easiest position to learn and play on the OL or at least it should be a faster track for a talented rookie to become a starter at guard than tackle. Fabien was playing RG before he went down. Steward was playing LT at Liberty. Benevides and Buono may be thinking it's not all that unrealistic for Steward to slide over one spot and be able to openly compete for the starting LG position right out of camp.

I think so Ham...Fabien, a natural Tackle, was playing Rookie of the Year Guard for the Lions when he was injured...in fact, if he had stayed healthy with Logan joining the backfield, Fabien MIGHT have been a Western All Star...it is SO KEY that he comes back close to 100% from that devastating injury...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Looks like you were right Shi Zi Mi. I was wrong. According to LU this morning, the Lions will move Hunter Steward inside to guard this year.
Lowell Ullrich wrote:Steward played left tackle during his two years as an offensive starter in college under Liberty coach and ex-CFL quarterback Turner Gill, but will move inside and contest a guard spot with the Lions.
BTW, there's a HS interview on BCLions.com. Seems like a great character guy, happy to be here, humble. I am happy about this signing. :thup:

DH :cool:
Well David......now it's looking like you were right.......lol.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/03/26 ... ns-around/
Lloyd
Spud387
Champion

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
David wrote:Looks like you were right Shi Zi Mi. I was wrong. According to LU this morning, the Lions will move Hunter Steward inside to guard this year.
Lowell Ullrich wrote:Steward played left tackle during his two years as an offensive starter in college under Liberty coach and ex-CFL quarterback Turner Gill, but will move inside and contest a guard spot with the Lions.
BTW, there's a HS interview on BCLions.com. Seems like a great character guy, happy to be here, humble. I am happy about this signing. :thup:

DH :cool:
Well David......now it's looking like you were right.......lol.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/03/26 ... ns-around/
Well that article does make it sound like we have much of a chance of signing Watkins
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Saw Steward being interviewed on the late night sportscast last night. Looks mean! and thats meant as a compliment...