Ochocinco signs with the Alouettes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

From the Toronto Sun: Alouettes to work out Chad 'Ochocinco' Johnson

Excerpt:
MONTREAL - The Montreal Alouettes are courting former NFL star Chad 'Ochocinco' Johnson.

Johnson broke the news on his Twitter feed Friday night, telling his followers that he will attend the Alouettes mini-camp in Florida on Tuesday.
From CJ's twitter feed:
Yeah, taking my ugly ass to Canada, routes just wasting away at home. RT @futureofthecity: we gonna ever see you on that field again bra?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A head shaker ...

Unlikely, for many, many reasons that he would be brought to TC. I question this move by Jim Popp.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
South Pender
Legend

Somewhat reminiscent of the Ricky Williams to the Argos deal. Williams instantly became the highest-paid RB in the CFL (at $240,000 in 2006; worth about $275,000 today). The only difference might be that Williams returned to the NFL after his CFL caper, whereas it's doubtful Chad will don an NFL uniform again.
JohnHenry
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:A head shaker ...

Unlikely, for many, many reasons that he would be brought to TC. I question this move by Jim Popp.
He is a six-time Pro-Bowler and is 2 1/2 years younger than Geroy. I'd say give the man a chance, maybe he'll give it an honest effort and contribute to the team...or he could just be another David Boston or Andre Rison?

At least they're talking CFL on ESPN, USA Today, S.I. & Le Devoir and with the millions of internet followers.

I think this is more about Chad than anything else. Here is a snippet from his Wiki page:
Major League Soccer

Due to the 2011 NFL Lockout, on March 16, 2011, Ochocinco announced he would have a four-day trial for Sporting Kansas City of Major League Soccer. Ochocinco was a star soccer player in his youth and has stated he is an avid fan of the sport. His trial began on March 23, 2011.[45] On March 25, he was asked to play in a reserve game. On March 29, he was not offered a contract by the team but was offered the chance to train with the reserve side to stay in shape.[46]

Professional Bull Riders event

In May, Ochocinco announced via his Twitter account that he would attempt to participate in a PBR event in Duluth, Georgia.[47] He rode the bull Deja Blue,[48] which weighs 1,500 pounds, and lasted 1.5 seconds during the intermission of May 14, 2011’s Professional Bull Riders event.
:roar:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:A head shaker ...

He is a six-time Pro-Bowler and is 2 1/2 years younger than Geroy. I'd say give the man a chance, maybe he'll give it an honest effort and contribute to the team...or he could just be another David Boston or Andre Rison?

At least they're talking CFL on ESPN, USA Today, S.I. & Le Devoir and with the millions of internet followers.

I think this is more about Chad than anything else. Here is a snippet from his Wiki page:
Major League Soccer

Due to the 2011 NFL Lockout, on March 16, 2011, Ochocinco announced he would have a four-day trial for Sporting Kansas City of Major League Soccer. Ochocinco was a star soccer player in his youth and has stated he is an avid fan of the sport. His trial began on March 23, 2011.[45] On March 25, he was asked to play in a reserve game. On March 29, he was not offered a contract by the team but was offered the chance to train with the reserve side to stay in shape.[46]

Professional Bull Riders event

In May, Ochocinco announced via his Twitter account that he would attempt to participate in a PBR event in Duluth, Georgia.[47] He rode the bull Deja Blue,[48] which weighs 1,500 pounds, and lasted 1.5 seconds during the intermission of May 14, 2011’s Professional Bull Riders event.
:roar:
I don't think anyone questions his playing credentials. In the past. He hasn't played since 2011, when he caught 15 passes for New England.

This is more like a circus or carnival act now.

Dancing with the Stars.

Versus talk show with Terrell Owens.

Reality Show.

WWE.

Major League Soccer.

Bull Riding.

Acting.

And then there are the legal issues. The public relations aspect. Violence against women.
In 2012 Johnson signed with the Miami Dolphins, but was released prior to the start of the season after being arrested on a domestic violence charge. - Toronto Sun
I personally don't think he enhances the CFL. I think it is the opposite. Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

South Pender
Legend

Yeah...have to agree with that. The CFL is getting the wrong kind of attention on these sites (I noticed it on Pro Football Talk too). We look like the league that will take anyone--pretty much a total screw-up, woman-hitter, drug addict, long past his prime, that's OK; he's welcome here--because we're desperate for players. We don't need this....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Guess Jim Popp subscribes to the saying that any publicity is good. Is Montreal big enough for Ochocinco ?
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Guess Jim Popp subscribes to the saying that any publicity is good. Is Montreal big enough for Ochocinco ?
I am going out on a limb here and predict that he is doing this just to get attention...and he will not sign a contract with the Als, unless it has some extra privileges at some late night establishments included. Doing what has been done by the Als to this point is free publicity, signing him will bring out the stuff in the closet of Ochocinco and that wouldn't be good on the Als.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

*C*F*L*

Watch out for that 12th man, he can be a real bell-ringer.

Also no walking off the turf when there is 2:00 on the clock. When you're up by 13 @ the 2:00 mark, we call that ''game is on the line'' time.
Any bets on whether his behaviour becomes a problem, for the Alouettes, or for the CFL? Something he says. Something he does. Some celebration. Something.

Odds are ...

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

The big question.....will they let him across the border?

Head butting his wife was his 2nd conviction........the 1st occurred in 2000 with a girlfriend.

There's also a thing about the judge sentencing him to 30 days in jail because he slapped his lawyer on the ass......the judge didn't think he was taking the proceedings seriously enough.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... y-in-2000/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainme ... s-in-jail/
Lloyd
notahomer
Hall of Famer

According to a blurb tonight on NFL network Chad has signed a two year deal with the Aloettes......
David
Team Captain

I have to say I am really impressed with his demeanor in interviews thus far. Very humble guy, saying very nice things about our game.

He mentioned that in just the few workouts he's had the guys are "all NFL worthy," adding that "the competition level is no different than in my 12-year NFL career."

He also mentions this has not about the money (obviously) but more his love of the game and desire to compete again.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Case study in a lot of issues ...

Forgiveness. Second chances.

Character. Change? True change, or just a change in behaviour for short term effect?

Football-wise, Johnson seems very fit. Popp talks about how he has been noted as a hard worker throughout his career. Two years out of football, however. 36 years old.

Is Chad Johnson good for the locker room? I dunno ... I have not heard any testimonials. Has he ever been a damaging distraction to his team?

Is his image, as a football star, with all that goes along with that as an influence on young people, a bad thing for a team, or a league? His history of violence with women is a terrible thing. No getting around that. Many teams would not want to be associated with such a pattern of behaviour.

Is Johnson in desperate shape financially? Has he kept himself in good financial shape? Or has he blown his wealth, as has happened with many athletes? He has stated that this CFL venture is not about money.

Is he looking for purpose in his life through his primary avenue of success, football? Or is he just continuing on, as he has done since he last played pro football, capitalizing on his extremely controversial reputation?

How do you, as an organization, walk that fine line between second chances for a wayward athlete, and writing someone off for bad behaviour and bad role modeling?

The Chad Johnson CFL story is early in its evolution. Odds for success? Odds for upsetting behaviour? Does this just enhance the CFL image as a home for troubled, talented athletes?

If he screws this up, I have to say I will not be surprised. If he is changed, and I think that would be necessary for him to stay out of trouble, on the field and off, I would be surprised.

Personally I think Wally did the right thing, not taking steps to bring him in. For image reasons, especially since the Lions have their campaign against the very behaviour Chad Johnson has been guilty of in the past.