More Stuff from Twitter.....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 16m

#BCLions - very encouraging as qb Travis Lulay throwing 30-35 yards to his receivers yesterday at the Lions practise facility.
JC is somewhere saying, why go for long bombs.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 40m

#BCLions defensive lineman Jabar Westerman has told gm Wally Buono that he's not willing to sign a contract extension.

Westerman could play out his option and give the NFL a try or just keep his options open.
This from Westerman:

Jabar Westerman ‏@BigWest99 53m

It's crazy how ppl take your words n flip it. I would love to stay in #vancity
Lloyd
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Hopefully, this means Westerman wasn't happy with his 2013 season and having a better 2014 puts him in a better barganing position......plus the mystery that is the SMS cap will be solved.
Lloyd
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Hopefully, this means Westerman wasn't happy with his 2013 season and having a better 2014 puts him in a better barganing position......plus the mystery that is the SMS cap will be solved.
One could take his comments and as he said twist them. It's not at all unreasonable for him to want to go out and have a great 2014 campaign to improve his bargaining position for an extension to stay in BC. If anything I think it's prudent for him to do just that. It's win-win for the Lions too as he should be very motivated to have a great season.........just as long as he re-ups with BC.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 31m

#BCLions 1st pro tryout camp in Fort Lauderdale ystday and they hope to sign 4 players - linebacker, defensive lineman and 2 receivers.

Dolphins DL Vaughn Martin showed up to say hi to Wally Buono - Martin will help the Lions in their pursuit to sign OL Danny Watkins.

Lions have made offers to try and extend the contracts of DL Chris Wilson and DB Ryan Phillips.
Lloyd
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Dolphins DL Vaughn Martin showed up to say hi to Wally Buono - Martin will help the Lions in their pursuit to sign OL Danny Watkins.

Lions have made offers to try and extend the contracts of DL Chris Wilson and DB Ryan Phillips.
:cr: :cr:
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 21m

Hearing CFL Free agent DL Keron Williams could start talking to CFL teams next week. #BCLions and #Alleouttes would be in the mix.
Lloyd
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Drew Edwards ‏@scratchingpost 1h

Former #Ticats C Marwan Hage will retire on Monday. Will retire as a Ticat, as he should. #Redblacks #CFL

**IMHO, not good for the Lions....this will probably force Ottawa to draft Goosen or Lavertu with the 1st overall pick in May**
Lloyd
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Former #Ticats C Marwan Hage will retire on Monday. Will retire as a Ticat, as he should. #Redblacks #CFL
Funny how the guys on your priority list who you take in the expansion draft are sometimes the ones who don't bother reporting.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

Farhan Lalji just Tweeted that the Lions are talking to Khalif Mitchell about a possible return to the Den.

Hmmm, couldn't that get a little awkward with Andrew Harris in the locker room? #goodriddance

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:Farhan Lalji just Tweeted that the Lions are talking to Khalif Mitchell about a possible return to the Den.

Hmmm, couldn't that get a little awkward with Andrew Harris in the locker room? #goodriddance

DH :cool:
I wonder how his separation from the Argos went, given that they released him early in order for him to pursue his NFL chances. Wouldn't you think that an agreement was in place for the Argos to renew that contract that he was released from? If the Lions find a way to secure his services, it would provide a solid addition to a huge hole since he left.
Entertainment value = an all time low
South Pender
Legend

David wrote:Hmmm, couldn't that get a little awkward with Andrew Harris in the locker room? #goodriddance
These things tend to get forgotten or put away, I think, when some time has passed, and it's obvious that the team will be strengthened. I would expect the team leaders to step up and bring about reconciliation if Mitchell rejoins the Lions.
Rammer wrote:I wonder how his separation from the Argos went, given that they released him early in order for him to pursue his NFL chances. Wouldn't you think that an agreement was in place for the Argos to renew that contract that he was released from? If the Lions find a way to secure his services, it would provide a solid addition to a huge hole since he left.
Yeah...that does seem strange. My recollection is the same: the Argos released him expressly to explore NFL options, and you'd think they'd want him back if he plays in Canada in 2014.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 43m

The #BCLions have signed a linebacker and defensive lineman from the Florida free agent camp.

The Lions are holding camps in Dallas and Las Vegas this Thursday and Friday.
Lloyd
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:Former #Ticats C Marwan Hage will retire on Monday. Will retire as a Ticat, as he should. #Redblacks #CFL
Funny how the guys on your priority list who you take in the expansion draft are sometimes the ones who don't bother reporting.
Keep in mind he was taken in the second round. I think they knew the odds of him reporting were not good but if as a Centre he did report it would turn into a gamble that really paid off. Not sure he was on their priority list, but given the likely options he became more attractive despite the chance he wouldn't report.

I tried to figure out the Ticat's NI content on E-Draft Day and who might've been left available for the second round. I came up with the likes of Hage, O'Neill, Stala and Diedrick all being available as long in the tooth veterans and not much else. Beswick, Congi and Scott were pending FAs whom Ottawa was supposedly passing on. Looking at the off-season transactions there easy to see how some of the unprotected lists for Rd 2 could be thin. PR players at the end of the season were only draft eligible if their old team resigned them prior to the draft. It looks like players like Rockhill, Rice, Filer and Lauther were in that group for Hamilton. Some other young players like Fortin and Mutobola played a game or two and spent the rest of the season on the IR. Atkinson spent the entire year on the IR. I don't think Hamilton had to work too hard to leave Ottawa with a thin group to choose from in the 2nd round. I think Ottawa's choices were down to the aforementioned over-the-hill gang and maybe a couple of young guys who had very little playing experience and were coming off injuries. Had Hage been a guard instead of an experienced centre maybe they roll the dice on a young kid. The fact he was a centre, very important to splicing together a new OL, and well respected as a leader made him too attractive to pass on.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Keep in mind he was taken in the second round. I think they knew the odds of him reporting were not good but if as a Centre he did report it would turn into a gamble that really paid off. Not sure he was on their priority list, but given the likely options he became more attractive despite the chance he wouldn't report.
Not sure if you took my remark as serious analysis; it wasn't really intended as such but more as riffing on what MD had to say about Lions' players declaring pre-ED they wouldn't report. That he ended up choosing someone who retired rather than report kind of makes his comment look like sour grapes, although as you argue, it may indeed simply be a case of few feasible options.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.