Khalif Mitchell cut by the Argos

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Big Time
Champion

Can't say I didn't see this coming. Looks like Khalif has worn out his welcome again.

I hope the Lions will be staying far, far away from this train wreck.

Source: News1130 and Farhan Lalji, Team 1040 (sorry - no link)
MikeAK
All Star

Just saw this on TSN.ca. Also not surprised by this either. The guy has a real attitude problem...and in a sport where attitude is actually encouraged that is saying something. I would hope and think the Lions have 'been there, done that' and don't go kicking around.
Big Time
Champion

More than anything, I think Khalif lacked maturity. The thinking was that he might settle down in Toronto after overstaying his welcome in BC. Doesn't appear that happened.

It's a shame because if he played his game, he can be an effective force on the defensive line. The problem is he is too prone to undisciplined play, and does not appear to have the ability to hold himself accountable for the stupidity of his actions. That unfortunately means he is going to have a shorter career in professional sports than he probably would have wanted.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

According to TSN part of Mitchell's agreement to report to the Argos last season was Barker's agreeing to release him to pursue the NFL for 2014. So it may be that there are no bad behaviour issues and I don't recall any during this past season. Mitchell may have matured after all.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder if the Argos have a replacement in place before releasing Mitchell
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=445832

The Toronto Argonauts announced on Monday that the club had released import defensive end Khalif Mitchell.

The 28-year-old East Carolina product spent the last season with the Argos after having spent the previous three with the B.C. Lions. In his four CFL seasons, Mitchell is a two-time CFL All-Star, including last season, and won the Grey Cup with the Lions in 2011.

Upon his trade to the Argos prior to last season, Mitchell was said to be unhappy with the move and was planning not to report to the team.

"Khalif just wants a fresh start and wants to play his final season in the CFL," said Guy Gillingham, Mitchell's advisor at the time.

Mitchell eventually did report and he told TSN's Farhan Lalji that part of the agreement to join the club hinged on GM Jim Barker promising to release him after the season to look for NFL options. Last season with the Argos, Mitchell recorded 32 tackles and five sacks.

He also told Lalji that he has been approached by NFL clubs for workouts and believes that his situation will become clearer in the next 48 hours when NFL free agency opens.

Prior to signing with the Lions, Mitchell spent two seasons on the practice roster of the San Francisco 49ers after going undrafted in the 2009 NFL Draft.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Farhan Lalji tweeted that Mitchell asked for his release so he could pursue NFL options......although he doesn't have an offer yet.

Mitchell had a lot of respect for DL coach Randy Melvin who left for the NFL.....I wonder if he doesn't have an "in" somewhere with Melvin.
Lloyd
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gillingham as advisor? Yikes ...

Not sure Khalif will get that NFL gig. Lots of baggage.

His talent puts him in the NFL. His attitude is running him out of chances.

Duuno how his attitude was last year with the Argos.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
South Pender
Legend

If he showed maturity last year, the Lions should immediately try to get him if he doesn't end up in an NFL camp (come to think of it, the Seahawks could probably use him now that they've released the similarly-sized Red Bryant!). We're already in very serious trouble on our D-line. He'd solve much of that problem. On the other hand, if he has continued in Toronto to display the outlandish stupidity he showed here, then, of course, we don't want him. However, I don't recall hearing of any of the latter last season.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:If he showed maturity last year, the Lions should immediately try to get him if he doesn't end up in an NFL camp (come to think of it, the Seahawks could probably use him now that they've released the similarly-sized Red Bryant!). We're already in very serious trouble on our D-line. He'd solve much of that problem. On the other hand, if he has continued in Toronto to display the outlandish stupidity he showed here, then, of course, we don't want him. However, I don't recall hearing of any of the latter last season.
If hes matured, I'd love to see him in Seattle. There were so many positives to both his play on the field and some of the things he was saying/doing (it seemed anyways). However, there were those other problems that led to his departure. Based on some of the comments he made while a Lion, he SOUNDS like he'd be a culture fit. Maybe Carroll would be a good coach for him?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

At age 28 (29 next month), he has enough mileage left in the tank for an NFL team to take a look at him. Will he have the maturity to fit into an NFL routine? And will he return the favour to Jim Barker and give the Argos the first right to re-sign him in the event the NFL opportunity doesn't materialize? Stay tuned.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:At age 28 (29 next month), he has enough mileage left in the tank for an NFL team to take a look at him. Will he have the maturity to fit into an NFL routine? And will he return the favour to Jim Barker and give the Argos the first right to re-sign him in the event the NFL opportunity doesn't materialize? Stay tuned.
I am sure that honour is at the root of this agreement, with Barker releasing him for his NFL aspirations, and should those fail, Mitchell will return to TO and sign a new contract. He seemed to regain his focus to being a team player with the Argos and I suspect that he will return after an NFL TC. Remember he turned down playing with Miami to stay with the LIons, and I don't think the business part of football (NFL) appeals to him much.
Entertainment value = an all time low