Angus Reid retires

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:I just realized that I have no idea who played centre between Wilson and Reid.

Al Wilson

Jamie Taras

Angus Reid

1972-2013. Amazing stability at centre.
I keep thinking that Taras played elsewhere on the oline. Was he always centre?
He was fullback at the University of Western Ontario and started his career as a fullback with the Lions. His claim to fame was dropping a perfectly thrown pass on a fake field goal attempt. Guess the Lions saw enough and converted him to an offensive guard.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I think Willie Postler had a stint at centre before surrendering the position to Taras
Actually TheLionKing, Willie Postler was a 6'6" Vancouverite (born in Vienna Austria) who played college ball down in the States, and only played a couple of games at centre in 1972 before relinquishing the role to Al "Dirt" Wilson who never gave it up.

The trivia question really is who was the last player prior to Al Wilson to play a stretch at centre for the Leos?
A: Bob Howes

DH :cool:
You are correct sir !
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
David wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I think Willie Postler had a stint at centre before surrendering the position to Taras
Actually TheLionKing, Willie Postler was a 6'6" Vancouverite (born in Vienna Austria) who played college ball down in the States, and only played a couple of games at centre in 1972 before relinquishing the role to Al "Dirt" Wilson who never gave it up.

The trivia question really is who was the last player prior to Al Wilson to play a stretch at centre for the Leos?
A: Bob Howes

DH :cool:
You are correct sir !
It just means that he is beginning to show some age knowing that, but not that much to be losing his memory. :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low
South Pender
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:I keep thinking that Taras played elsewhere on the oline. Was he always centre?
Jamie Taras played more at guard than he did at centre. For much of Taras's career, Ian Sinclair was the centre, and Taras played guard. He switched to centre when Sinclair retired and did well there. At his retirement, Angus Reid became the starting centre. Actually, Taras played his first few years with the Lions as a fullback.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I just realized that I have no idea who played centre between Wilson and Reid.

Al Wilson 1972-1986

Ian Sinclair 1985-1995

Jamie Taras 1987-2003

Angus Reid 2001-2013

1972-2013. Amazing stability at centre.

(I don't remember all this of course. Checked with Wikipedia.)

I do recall how Jamie Taras put on so much weight when he switched to O Line.

Al Wilson was 6' 2" but only 240 pounds. Decent size for centre in the CFL at that time. The weights really went up for O Linemen later. I blame Jimmy Johnson. He really liked the big hogs for the O Line. Prior to his stint with the Cowboys, it seems to me 300 pound O Linemen were more the exception than the rule.

Angus Reid was listed at 6' 1" and 305 pounds, depending on the day.

And I recall Urban Henry with the Lions. He was the giant of the CFL at 250 pounds, at that time.

Be nice if Matt Norman kept up the tradition of long serving, top quality centres for the Lions. Or perhaps Norman will be swithed back to guard. We will see.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:I keep thinking that Taras played elsewhere on the oline. Was he always centre?
Jamie Taras played more at guard than he did at centre. For much of Taras's career, Ian Sinclair was the centre, and Taras played guard. He switched to centre when Sinclair retired and did well there. At his retirement, Angus Reid became the starting centre. Actually, Taras played his first few years with the Lions as a fullback.
he also played some at slotback. Just couldn't remember where he most played on the line.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Angus Reid wrote a first-person story in The Province on his retirement, reflecting on some of great centres who influenced his career and some of his most memorable moments.

Thank you and good night: Angus Reid retires
The B.C. Lions’ mainstay calls it a career, leaves with two Cups and enough memories for a lifetime
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Great article. Thanks for sharing.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

He's being interviewed on Global News now. Check it out, may be online later.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I hope Angus ends up on Radio or TV as he is a well spoken talented speaker/communicator.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I hope Angus ends up on Radio or TV as he is a well spoken talented speaker/communicator.
He's already logged tons of on-air hours on 1040, mostly afternoon hours as an ad hoc or fill-in co-host and even had his own hour-long show on 1410 for a while until they axed it upon dropping his co-host (Joe Leary?). It always seemed they were grooming him for an eventual larger role.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
QB Club 63
All Star

My sister is going to Disneyland this week so I was searching the web for some info for her when I came across this:
http://micechat.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... /pic22.jpg

Is that Gus looking handsome in the Epcot t-shirt, or is it just his stunt double? (Not even sure what year the photo is from!)