Glenn requests trade from RedBlacks

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Supposedly the Redblacks are looking for LB's and DB's.......I could see the Lions giving up Anton McKensie and Ryan Phillips for Kevin Glenn.......win-win for both teams.
Lloyd
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Supposedly the Redblacks are looking for LB's and DB's.......I could see the Lions giving up Anton McKensie and Ryan Phillips for Kevin Glenn.......win-win for both teams.
If Glenn is unhappy being penciled in as the backup in Ottawa, what makes you think that he would want to come to BC as the backup?
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:Supposedly the Redblacks are looking for LB's and DB's.......I could see the Lions giving up Anton McKensie and Ryan Phillips for Kevin Glenn.......win-win for both teams.
If Glenn is unhappy being penciled in as the backup in Ottawa, what makes you think that he would want to come to BC as the backup?
Glenn wants to go ANYWHERE but Ottawa......his tweet from before stated clearly that he felt he had been lied to by the Redblacks organization......he and his family were very excited on draft day about the chance to lead a new franchise......so you can imagine the disappointment not just for him but his family as well.

He also knows that there really is no starting QB positions open in the CFL at the present time.....his only hope is injury to a starter.

Sadly, with the Lions oline, that's a high probability in BC.
Lloyd
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Up until this point I had been very impressed with the moves and decisions that GM DesJardins has been making.

Since Hamilton did not want Burris it would have been better optics to bring Burris in as the backup to Glenn. Then see how things play out during the season.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Up until this point I had been very impressed with the moves and decisions that GM DesJardins has been making.

Since Hamilton did not want Burris it would have been better optics to bring Burris in as the backup to Glenn. Then see how things play out during the season.
There is no way Glenn is a better option then Burris. Ottawa didn't give Burris $450K to be the back up and he wanted to be # 1 as much or more then Glenn.

How can you blame Dejardins for this situation? When a better QB then Glenn became available he signed him. If Glenn had kept out of the media this would be a non issue more or less.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:
DanoT wrote:Up until this point I had been very impressed with the moves and decisions that GM DesJardins has been making.

There is no way Glenn is a better option then Burris. Ottawa didn't give Burris $450K to be the back up and he wanted to be # 1 as much or more then Glenn.

How can you blame Dejardins for this situation? When a better QB then Glenn became available he signed him. If Glenn had kept out of the media this would be a non issue more or less.
There's really no way of knowing what was actually said/promised by the Redblacks organization.......but there was venom in that warning tweet from Glenn to the Lions players. Obviously, he feels betrayed.
Lloyd
The_Pauser
Legend

I would probably flip out if the Lions made that trade. Angry enough that we're looking to move McKenzie, but if we move RP too I would lose it.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

We're not in a position to start moving bodies from our secondary IMHO. We already lost Banks at nickel and Bell on the corner, we just don't have the depth to trade away RP.

Nor do I think McKenzie and Phillips would be enough for Desjardins anyway. It would take McKenzie, a non-import receiver, and a draft pick IMO. But I just don't see Wally giving up the farm for Kevin Glenn - not unless the long term prognosis of Lulay's shoulder is not promising.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
I would probably flip out if the Lions made that trade. Angry enough that we're looking to move McKenzie, but if we move RP too I would lose it.
Obviously, we have differing opinions on Phillips......finding a DB who's willing to tackle shouldn't be too difficult. McKenzie is not in the Lions plans anyway, so, I don't see much loss for the Lions if they made this trade.
Lloyd
South Pender
Legend

David wrote:We're not in a position to start moving bodies from our secondary IMHO. We already lost Banks at nickel and Bell on the corner, we just don't have the depth to trade away RP.

Nor do I think McKenzie and Phillips would be enough for Desjardins anyway. It would take McKenzie, a non-import receiver, and a draft pick IMO. But I just don't see Wally giving up the farm for Kevin Glenn - not unless the long term prognosis of Lulay's shoulder is not promising.

DH :cool:
It would make sense to me if Wally traded McKenzie, Iannuzzi, and a draft pick to get Glenn. Going into the season with no proven or experienced backup at QB is really tempting fate in my view. At the moment, we have no one backing up Lulay whom we could expect to keep the offense clicking if Lulay went down. Unless John Beck suddenly becomes competent, an injury to Lulay of any length would be a season-ender for the Lions. Glenn's presence would prevent that. I do agree that we're now thin in the secondary (so I'd be disinclined to trade Phillips), but McKenzie might not get much playing time with Jamall Johnson now on board, and I think we can get by very nicely without Iannuzzi. Losing a draft pick would hurt, but the alternative is possible disaster.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It seems that the money left for Kevin Glenn to paid during the season depends on the number of starts. It would be easy to surmise that he felt he was to be the starter based on discussions he had about his contract. Then Burris comes along and he's out of the picture and with DeMarco there too, he could be nailed to the bench.

Glenn must have good reason to feel he's been misled as it is unlike him to be public in demanding a trade. He was very, very fortunate in Calgary as the two key coaches - HC and OC - held him in very high regard and did not talk like they had no other choice. If the RedBlacks had not come into the league this year and both Tate and Bo Levi M were in fine health, I am not sure where that would put Kevin Glenn there if he had stayed there for this upcoming season.

I can't recall full details but read something that Glenn can earn only 105K in the season if he does not start. If he thought wow - I'm going to be the starter - then he'd be in decent pay range as these guys who have homes in other cities have to absorb costs for apartments and unlike the young, unmarried players don't want to live with flat mates.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I for one would be very displeased if the Lions trade Elimimian for Glenn. We have arguably the hardest hitting linebacking corp in the league.
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I for one would be very displeased if the Lions trade Elimimian for Glenn. We have arguably the hardest hitting linebacking corp in the league.
Has that been suggested as a possibility?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I can't see the Lions parting with Phillips. Losing Banks and Bell in one season is a big enough blow to the secondary. Phillips is often knocked on this board because he's not a hitter but he is tied for the league lead among active players with 37 career interceptions and ranks seventh among active CFL players with 388 defensive tackles. He's younger than five of the six players ahead of him on that list, so he has a good chance to move up in the rankings before he's done.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I for one would be very displeased if the Lions trade Elimimian for Glenn. We have arguably the hardest hitting linebacking corp in the league.
Has that been suggested as a possibility?
It was suggested by a poster.