Glenn requests trade from RedBlacks

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=445464

Haven't had a snap yet and already they have a controversy. Can't say I blame him though.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=445464

Haven't had a snap yet and already they have a controversy. Can't say I blame him though.
I feel I would rather have Glenn than Burris. Austin dumped Burris without attempting to trade him. Burris has racked up amazing numbers, and yet it seems he wears out his welcome time and again. He was in the right place with Hufnagel when they won the Cup.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
JohnHenry
Champion

Glenn, a 13-year CFL veteran, said he believes he can be a starter in the CFL and has earned the right to at least compete for the No. 1 job with another team.
I guess today's above quote takes Glenn officially off the Lions list. :wink:

John Beck is an intriguing prospect who probably has less wear and tear on his body than his age (32) might indicate...as long as he comes in with the right attitude and doesn't feel "entitled" after being a NFL starter.
MikeAK
All Star

Good luck with that one, Glenn. Seems most teams are pretty well set at QB, at least in their minds. I don't see where he's going to get a better shot.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Glenn is in tough to go anywhere and compete for a # 1 shot. Winnipeg is where he could see the most playing time but still as the # 2 QB. I think Winnipeg's long term plan is to hope Willy can become a legit # 1 and that means playing through growing pains.

Ditto for Smith in Montreal and Reilly in Edmonton.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

His age certainly isn't going to help.
South Pender
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:John Beck is an intriguing prospect who probably has less wear and tear on his body than his age (32) might indicate...as long as he comes in with the right attitude and doesn't feel "entitled" after being a NFL starter.
Much as I'd like to be hopeful and optimistic about the Lions' QB situation, I can't get any enthusiasm up for John Beck. In his time in the NFL, we was a bust, ending up with a QB rating of 67.2, with a TD/Int. ratio of 3/7. (Just for reference, of the 37 QBs who qualified for a rating in 2013, there was exactly one--No. 37 in the order--who had a lower passer rating, at 66.5.) He'll be 33 in August and is even slower now than his relatively-slow combine speed 7 years ago of 4.75. Doubt he has any mobility. There's just nothing there to suggest he'd succeed with the Lions. The other guy Wally signed up, Jarrett Lee, although younger, looks even worse, coming off a 56% passing percentage in college and 5.03 speed in the 40. In my view, these guys just aren't the answer for the Lions, and I think we're in a world of trouble at QB if Lulay goes down again. If there were some way Wally could get Glenn, we'd be fine, but right now, it looks grim. Buck's retirement has put the Lions in a serious hole.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I feel for Kevin Glenn but the reality is that the number of teams is simply not large enough to see him be a choice to be no. 1.

I am not even sure how Calgary would have worked out this season for him if Tate doesn't get hurt again as they have high hopes for Bo Levi moving up.

I get it that he feels misled and dissed badly the RedBlacks who rubbed salt in the open wound by announcing HB as the starter. But his options are slim here.

He'd fit best in a situation like he had in Calgary where the HC and the OC have not scintilla of disbelief in him and where Glenn knows this as he did. He would not be a good fit in a team where the HC only wants to play him if the starter is in hospital as they don't believe that Glenn is more than a final resort.

Winnipeg could be an option as noted. I wonder if he'd fare okay in Montreal as none of those guys there are yet really proven in the CFL despite some signs of good play.

BUT Wpg and other teams are not likely to give up much as that team needs both picks and players. Also they can wait the Ottawa GM out if they don't mind bringing him later on as a back up with time to learn their system.

DeMarco can't be happy either given how he probably thought he was to be no. 1.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnHenry
Champion

South Pender wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:John Beck is an intriguing prospect who probably has less wear and tear on his body than his age (32) might indicate...as long as he comes in with the right attitude and doesn't feel "entitled" after being a NFL starter.
Much as I'd like to be hopeful and optimistic about the Lions' QB situation, I can't get any enthusiasm up for John Beck. In his time in the NFL, we was a bust, ending up with a QB rating of 67.2, with a TD/Int. ratio of 3/7. (Just for reference, of the 37 QBs who qualified for a rating in 2013, there was exactly one--No. 37 in the order--who had a lower passer rating, at 66.5.) He'll be 33 in August and is even slower now than his relatively-slow combine speed 7 years ago of 4.75. Doubt he has any mobility. There's just nothing there to suggest he'd succeed with the Lions. The other guy Wally signed up, Jarrett Lee, although younger, looks even worse, coming off a 56% passing percentage in college and 5.03 speed in the 40. In my view, these guys just aren't the answer for the Lions, and I think we're in a world of trouble at QB if Lulay goes down again. If there were some way Wally could get Glenn, we'd be fine, but right now, it looks grim. Buck's retirement has put the Lions in a serious hole.
If the CFL turned away every QB who's bombed in the NFL, we'd have very few QB's left in the league. I'm not sure NFL performance is a good measuring stick for CFL players. Some who've played well or survived in the NFL for several years, often don't fare well in the CFL...while some undrafted player from a small college who never got a NFL sniff excels in Canada.

Beck was one of the best QB's in the U.S. in High School and College. I realize there's been many stellar youth players in the U.S. who couldn't translate that into the pros, but we'll never know unless he given an opportunity. I don't think Beck was actually that bad in the NFL. He started nearly a dozen NFL games and threw only 7 picks, that's half the battle right there. He passed for only 3 TD's but perhaps he played on run-oriented teams which scored on the ground? Being cautious with the ball as a newcomer is probably a good strategy...much like Jarious Jackson, who in his first few CFL seasons was tentative with his passes, not throwing many TD's, but keeping his Int's levels low and staying in the CFL for a decade.

Not to discount Beck's performance but his NFL stats are not necessarily the be-all end-all of his potential in the CFL.

:roar:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Not to discount Beck's performance but his NFL stats are not necessarily the be-all end-all of his potential in the CFL.
Normally I'm with you, but Beck was really terrible. Terrible in Miami and terrible in Washington. Jarious had an arm. Beck...notsomuch.

If I were Glenn, I'd look at Troy Smith down the road in Montreal and choose that job as the one to go after. He can make the cut as the backup and wait for Smith to stumble or get injured.
DeMarco can't be happy either given how he probably thought he was to be no. 1.
I don't think you can walk into that situation as DeMarco and think you're the #1. You have to feel that you're being groomed behind whomever else was brought in with you (in this case Glenn, now Burris) to eventually be the franchise guy. There's no real change, it's just a different guy in front of him.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I think Glenn has proved he's a starter in the CFL. I don't think this is a normal situation either, IMO. Glenn played well enough that he started the home playoff game of the division champion Stampeders. Admitedly he wasn't deemed important enough to be protected by the Stamps, so Ottawa was able to 'claim' him. From his perspective everything was fine UNTIL Ottawa went after Burris too. What I'm trying to say is this isn't your run of the mill contract squabble.

I hope Glenn does get a chance to start somewhere. IMO, I would RATHER have Glenn than Burris for a variety of reasons. Admitedly Burris has had more success. But one of the reasons WHY Glenn got a chance to start (due to the starter being injured) in Calgary was the fact Burris WAS NOT willing to be a backup.
South Pender
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:If the CFL turned away every QB who's bombed in the NFL, we'd have very few QB's left in the league. I'm not sure NFL performance is a good measuring stick for CFL players. Some who've played well or survived in the NFL for several years, often don't fare well in the CFL...while some undrafted player from a small college who never got a NFL sniff excels in Canada.

Beck was one of the best QB's in the U.S. in High School and College. I realize there's been many stellar youth players in the U.S. who couldn't translate that into the pros, but we'll never know unless he given an opportunity. I don't think Beck was actually that bad in the NFL. He started nearly a dozen NFL games and threw only 7 picks, that's half the battle right there. He passed for only 3 TD's but perhaps he played on run-oriented teams which scored on the ground? Being cautious with the ball as a newcomer is probably a good strategy...much like Jarious Jackson, who in his first few CFL seasons was tentative with his passes, not throwing many TD's, but keeping his Int's levels low and staying in the CFL for a decade.

:roar:
I hear what you're saying, but just to clarify, when I said John Beck was a bust in the NFL, I meant that he'd played in the NFL and stank. I wasn't putting him into the group that I think you were referring to--guys who ended up on NFL practice rosters, or 3rd string on the active roster and never got a real chance to play, like Dave Dickinson, Henry Burris, Mike Reilly, Travis Lulay, and so on. There are lots of those in the CFL, and, as you say, some have done very well, but there can't have been many QBs (actually I can't think of any, but there must be one or two) who have played and really sucked in the NFL, but then come to the CFL and done well. Just for the record, it looks as though Beck started 8 NFL games (5 for Miami and 3 for Washington), all losses, with almost one interception per game.

It's true that Beck's NFL performance may not presage failure with the Lions, but none of the objective predictors is favorable. Nonetheless, like all of us on this forum, I really hope he turns out to be a capable, or even good, CFL QB for us since, at the moment, he seems to be our best shot as a backup to Lulay. After Beck, we have Joey Elliott, Chris Hart, and now Jarrett Lee. Do we think any of those three could come in and win games for us if Travis went down for any length of time? So, I really hope I'm wrong about Beck, and he has a career resuscitation in BC.

I suppose there's a chance that Wally may be able to find another QB or two to take to TC. I hope he's still looking....
David
Team Captain

South Pender wrote: There are lots of those in the CFL, and, as you say, some have done very well, but there can't have been many QBs (actually I can't think of any, but there must be one or two) who have played and really sucked in the NFL, but then come to the CFL and done well.
I think David Archer is a good example this type of quarterback, South Pender. He was a 6-year NFL journeyman with Atlanta, Washington, San Diego, and Philadelphia. Then he came up here and had a pretty successful run, passing for over 20,000 yards.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

If reports out of Winnipeg (Bob Irving CJOB - a very credible source), Desjardins must be delusional. He's asked for Cory Watson (upper echelon though oft-injured NI receiver), another player AND a draft pick for Kevin Glenn.

No way is Ottawa taking a disgruntled QB to camp. I think you're going to see teams wait him (Desjardins) out.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

David wrote:If reports out of Winnipeg (Bob Irving CJOB - a very credible source), Desjardins must be delusional. He's asked for Cory Watson (upper echelon though oft-injured NI receiver), another player AND a draft pick for Kevin Glenn.

No way is Ottawa taking a disgruntled QB to camp. I think you're going to see teams wait him (Desjardins) out.

Respectfully, Marcel is simply valuing an asset as he feels it should be. Given the history of qbs being injured recently in this league, Kevin Glenn will be dealt if and when it's most advantageous to the Ottawa Football Club.

Mr. Glenn will be at Camp one would think, else he'll be suspended.

:cool: