Pierce to Announce Retirement on Tuesday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

mightybuck wrote:Well everybody its been great ...so glad Buck began and ended his career with the Lions. It was fun coming up for a couple of games and getting to meet some of you...thanks for your patient with me on the board and my often over the top support of Buck....Good luck this year.. Lions are class orginaztion...I am happy for Buck as he begins a new phase of his life

MB
Best wishes, mb, to you and to Buck. :thup:

I think football is still in Buck's future, coaching somewhere, at some level. He has so much to offer.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Much consternation among some posters about the Lions signing a trio of quarterbacks and not addressing the other needs. Guess Buono knows what's he doing.
I must have missed something. Did we address problems on both lines and bring in a non import Safety that can do more than wave a cape as receivers run by yet?

No?

Ok then.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Much consternation among some posters about the Lions signing a trio of quarterbacks and not addressing the other needs. Guess Buono knows what's he doing.
I must have missed something. Did we address problems on both lines and bring in a non import Safety that can do more than wave a cape as receivers run by yet?

No?

Ok then.
Be patient. Rome wasn't built overnight.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
cromartie wrote:

No?

Ok then.
Be patient. Rome wasn't built overnight.
but when rome fell, they never got up again.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
EDJ
prospect

I read on a different post that someone suggested getting Kevin Glenn traded to BC for Solomon. With no experienced back up for Lulay (that's a major issue) and Jamall Johnson more than able to take over WLB and Bighill moving to MLB - it just may be a great option that would make the Lions a lot better off - IMO
cromartie
Hall of Famer

EDJ wrote:I read on a different post that someone suggested getting Kevin Glenn traded to BC for Solomon. With no experienced back up for Lulay (that's a major issue) and Jamall Johnson more than able to take over WLB and Bighill moving to MLB - it just may be a great option that would make the Lions a lot better off - IMO
So, you want to trade one of the best linebackers in the league for a backup quarterback.

Do we still drug test new posters around here?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
EDJ wrote:I read on a different post that someone suggested getting Kevin Glenn traded to BC for Solomon. With no experienced back up for Lulay (that's a major issue) and Jamall Johnson more than able to take over WLB and Bighill moving to MLB - it just may be a great option that would make the Lions a lot better off - IMO
So, you want to trade one of the best linebackers in the league for a backup quarterback.

:rotf:
Will the RedBlacks be able to get much for Glenn on the openmarket anyway? To get any value for a guy like him, IMO, a team will have to suffer an injury to their starter and NEED a guy with CFL experience....
EDJ
prospect

notahomer wrote:
cromartie wrote:

:rotf:
Will the RedBlacks be able to get much for Glenn on the openmarket anyway? To get any value for a guy like him, IMO, a team will have to suffer an injury to their starter and NEED a guy with CFL experience....

YES - that is what I would suggest. Since you seem to think you know more than me regarding football - regardless of knowing nothing about me or my background in the sport - what would be your amazing suggestion?? I thought this was a forum where we could share thoughts - since that's all you really can do unless you are Wally, right. So how about making a comment that has any substance instead of making yourself feel good by putting others down. Sol is a great linebacker, but Bighill is better suited for MLB anyways. Johnson is more than capable of filling the WLB spot so what are you so afraid of?? Regardless of having an amazing defence - which they still would with Adam and Jamall - without a quality backup for Lulay, the whole season could be in jeopardy.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wally confirmed to Rick Dhaliwal of News1130 today that he's had talks with Ottawa about acquiring Kevin Glenn since he has no proven CFL backup for Travis Lulay.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
#BCLions gm Wally Buono admits he does not have a solid CFL back-up qb - that's why he has held talks with Ottawa about Kevin Glenn.

‏@News1130Sports ·Asking price for Glenn is high but Bouno says he'll keep talking with Ottawa.
Ottawa GM Marcel Desjardins said this week that the Redblacks need to strengthen their defesive back and linebacker positions, in particular, and there are no free agents that fit the bill at a reasonable price.
It makes no sense to RedBlacks GM Marcel Desjardins to fork out big bucks to players who don’t provide enough return on the field to justify the whopping salaries.

“We could have signed more CFL-type free agents,” said Desjardins. “But for the money they’d be commanding, we didn’t feel it was appropriate. In some cases, we had players at the same position who we feel are just as capable.”
“We’re always trying to find players, not only to get to our roster number, but also to get better,” said Desjardins. “We still need to shore up our defensive back and linebacker positions and maybe also, to some extent, defensive end.”
Ottawa Sun article

The Lions have depth at linebacker, especially with Anton McKenzie still on the roster and not in the team's plans. Where there's smoke ...
David
Team Captain

Welcome EDJ - glad to have you join Lionbackers.

I get your points - all valid, but I think what Cromartie's saying is that giving up a starter like Sol for a player the likely won't see the field that much is a heavy price, regardless of our linebacking depth.

I would like to see Glenn here, but I might be inclined to "out wait" Ottawa's steep price for Glenn since he's only going to get louder in his grousing about not being the starter there (we know his position because of the "hacked" tweet). This weakens the RedBlacks' bargaining position (not to mention that only BC and Wpg should be slightly concerned about QB depth, and I doubt Wpg has much to offer for Glenn). According to NEWS 1130, Wally's been talking to Desjardin about obtaining Glenn and I think there are those that think the two recent QB signings are nothing but training camp fodder and believe Glenn is a big improvement over Elliott.

What's interesting is that I recall reading earlier this off-season Wally shooting down rumours that he was shopping Elimimian.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

How happy will K. Glenn be going from backup in Ottawa to backup in Vancouver.

Winnipeg needs a starting QB and I think enough time has passed for the Bombers and their fans to welcome him back to Winnipeg.

I think the Lions will go with Elliot and Hart as back ups and a strong running game to take pressure off the QB.
JohnHenry
Champion

Not sure Glenn would be a good fit with the Lions unless Travis isn't healthy enough to start the season. Glenn did play very well in Cowtown last season, so like fine wine...?
David
Team Captain

I just read that Kevin Glenn has told Dan Ralph from Canadian Press that (hacked Twitter account or not), he now officially wants out of Ottawa.
Spoke with Kevin Glenn today and he told me he's asked the Ottawa Redblacks to trade him. Story coming.
This somewhat weakens their bargaining position.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Wally confirmed to Rick Dhaliwal of News1130 today that he's had talks with Ottawa about acquiring Kevin Glenn since he has no proven CFL backup for Travis Lulay.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
#BCLions gm Wally Buono admits he does not have a solid CFL back-up qb - that's why he has held talks with Ottawa about Kevin Glenn.

‏@News1130Sports ·Asking price for Glenn is high but Bouno says he'll keep talking with Ottawa.
Welcome to the site, EDJ.

I am a little bit surprised Wally is trying to acquire Glenn.

Personally I like Kevin Glenn. Very smart. Accurate thrower. Tons of experience.

Without Buck, without DeMarco, I would not mind seeing Glenn here, although I like Joey Elliott also. It seems the Bombers and Lions have mixed feelings on Elliott. Not sure Joey will be on our roster this year.

I would no way want to give up Solomon for Glenn. Nor a first round pick. Nor a second. McKenzie? Sure.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:I just read that Kevin Glenn has told Dan Ralph from Canadian Press that (hacked Twitter account or not) he now officially wants out of Ottawa.
Spoke with Kevin Glenn today and he told me he's asked the Ottawa Redblacks to trade him. Story coming.
This somewhat weakens their bargaining position.

If it is weakened anymore so, they will be offering up an NI OL to go along with Glenn to the unemployment line. Problem with Glenn is that he is expecting starting salary and yet anywhere he lands he will be the backup waiting for an injury to the starter to get playing time. Glenn is going to have to have his contract restructured to represent his future role as a backup, and much like Geroy, isn't quite ready for that yet.
Entertainment value = an all time low