Pierce to Announce Retirement on Tuesday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Spud387
Champion

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=445196
Oft-injured quarterback Buck Pierce is expected to announce his retirement on Tuesday.

Pierce, who played nine seasons in the CFL with the B.C. Lions and Winnipeg Blue Bombers, suffered numerous concussions over his career.

He threw for 15,289 yards with 76 touchdowns and 63 interceptions while completing over 64 per cent of passes.
Me sad.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Indeed. A sad day. One of my all time favourite Lions.

Fare thee well, Buck. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great to see he is going out on his own terms. He has really established himself in Winnipeg with his business opportunities. All the best to him!

Now stay healthy Travis. Yikes!
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I wonder if there is still a coaching opportunity of some sort in Winnipeg. Many posters thought he'd be a good guy as a QB coach but Winnipeg just hired someone. Not sure if they were allowed to discuss that with Buck before and / or whether he might have been interested or considered if not " still " a player.

Regardless, since he has other business's in Winnipeg is there still a role in coaching for him available. I won't discount other cities but due to his other business's in Winnipeg that would seem to be a good fit.

Anyway. A bit surprised he did choose to retire but I do think it's in his best interest's health wise.
lion24
Legend

Rough offseason continues, hope a questionable O line can keep Lulay on his feet as no experienced backup QB to take over. Go down the list,question marks on D line,O line,backup QB,safety? Yikes
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
South Pender
Legend

Undoubtedly the right decision for someone who has suffered multiple concussions, and I wish him all the best in his life after football.

This really changes the picture in BC, though, from having a stable QB situation to one in which an injury to Travis might well mean disaster. In my view, there'd be a huge drop-off with any of the now-four remaining QBs. This is a real blow to the Lions' chances in 2014 IMO. I wonder whether Kevin Glenn could somehow be acquired now.
Big Time
Champion

Buck was a warrior his entire career. A great player and great ambassador for the sport. It was only injuries that prevented him from true greatness. He'll always be a champ in my books.
Spud387
Champion

Hearing qb Buck Pierce got tired of waiting on his contract status and role with the #BCLions.
The way this team is being managed right now truly surprises me :/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Spud387 wrote:
Hearing qb Buck Pierce got tired of waiting on his contract status and role with the #BCLions.
What the hell is going on if this is true? First the Keron Williams situation and now Buck. Just a really strange off season heading into a Grey Cup host year. Our most significant signings is an American punter and an import linebacker who will likely serve in a back-up role since it's the Lions greatest area of strength with Eliminian and Bighill.

Lions lose out in the Butler sweepstakes even though he would have filled a gaping hole on defence and currently have three significant salaries off the books — Banks, Williams and now Buck. Their offer for Nick Moore was very good but for the most part they have been saving money this off season rather than spending.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:
Like I have said a few times lately ... quoting Vince Lombardi: "What the hell is going on here?"

I was wondering if lack of agreement on contract was behind Buck's retirement.

Many strange developments, and lack of developments ...

All is well on the Good Ship Lion. Or is it? It is kind of disorienting. :dizzy:

Bring in Buck. Merely as a stop gap measure? Slow contract development. Buck retires.

Bring in Joey. Release Joey. Bring Joey back. Joey's present status?

No action regarding Keron Williams.

Very aggressive and active in free agency? LOL

Letting Albright, Baboulas and Myddleton slip away?

One has to wonder, with all the changing back and forth, the seeming indecision, do we have a solid personnel plan? Building and maintaining a roster?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

MikeAK
All Star

One heck of a warrior. Too bad he took some devastating blows or he could have done more in his time. He has the heart of a lion. Real big fan of Buck and wish him well in his life. Glad he retired though, I think it's the smartest thing.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Spud387 wrote:
Like I have said a few times lately ... quoting Vince Lombardi: "What the hell is going on here?"

I was wondering if lack of agreement on contract was behind Buck's retirement.

Many strange developments, and lack of developments ...

All is well on the Good Ship Lion. Or is it? It is kind of disorienting. :dizzy:

Bring in Buck. Merely as a stop gap measure? Slow contract development. Buck retires.

Bring in Joey. Release Joey. Bring Joey back. Joey's present status?

No action regarding Keron Williams.

Very aggressive and active in free agency? LOL

Letting Albright, Baboulas and Myddleton slip away?

One has to wonder, with all the changing back and forth, the seeming indecision, do we have a solid personnel plan? Building and maintaining a roster?
Sorry, but I don't buy the theory that someone retires out of frustration with slow contract negotiation. Ask to be traded or released, yes. Complain to the media yes, but not Buck's style.

In any event, it is a big loss to the Lions and with Lulay coming off shoulder surgery they might be starting a very green backup to start the season.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm loving all the tributes to Buck from ex-teammates on Twitter. Definitely one of the toughest and fiercest competitors ever to play quarerback. I'll remember his downfield block on Stefan Logan's long TD run last year for a long time. I wish Buck all the best and business and his personal life.

This development helps explain the team's recent interest in signing QBs who can compete for the backup role. I was hoping Buck would fill that role but it would have required a substantial cut in pay.

Buck's last quote in the team news release suggests he is looking a non-playing role in football:
It’s been a great ride and I’m ready to move into the next phase of my football career.”
Spud387
Champion

DanoT wrote: Sorry, but I don't buy the theory that someone retires out of frustration with slow contract negotiation. Ask to be traded or released, yes. Complain to the media yes, but not Buck's style.

In any event, it is a big loss to the Lions and with Lulay coming off shoulder surgery they might be starting a very green backup to start the season.
If you have other interests you want to pursue that are time sensitive you can. Rumor is Buck may be in line for a coaching gig in Winnipeg. That is a time sensitive decision.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: I was wondering if lack of agreement on contract was behind Buck's retirement.

DanoT wrote: Sorry, but I don't buy the theory that someone retires out of frustration with slow contract negotiation. Ask to be traded or released, yes. Complain to the media yes, but not Buck's style.

Certainly not Buck's style to complain to the media. No one here has suggested that Buck did so.

News1130 Sports is suggesting that the word got out somehow.

Buck's role with the Lions? I was hoping he could back up Lulay this year. What were the Lions' plans re Buck?

Were any negotiations taking place? Was Buck getting tired of waiting as 1130 suggested?

I can see frustration on Buck's part being a factor in his decision to retire. Health #1. Good, long successful run at playing football through high school, college and the pros.

As I indicated, Buck is one of my all time favourite Lions. Along with the uncertainlty of Keron Williams' contract status, it would not surprise me if Buck was also frustrated at his contract status. Wait, wait, wait, and some fans wonder what is going on.

And I have to wonder what is Joey Elliott's status? He is still listed on the roster. But is that going to change? Will he even be at camp? At this point, I personally would hope he can be backup to Travis.