Pierce to Announce Retirement on Tuesday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I signed up for this site to see what others were saying about Buck after that first pre season game where Jarius hurt his thumb on the first play from scrimmage then in the 4th when the Lions seemed done he gave his team life and a W. Jarius pretty much had a lost season in 2005 but Buck with injuries got good chances to play and fans loved what they saw.

Buck excited the team in the last Esks game coming on where he and Logan added life and excitement and all of a sudden fans and media realized just how boring this offense had become over the year.

I recall Dan Russell bleating about Wally bringing Buck in vs the then hapless Ticats and running up the score with Wally in defense saying what could he do. Stop the rookie from making plays?! It was bizarre that Russell took that view but then again did he ever even see a game?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I recall Dan Russell bleating about Wally bringing Buck in vs the then hapless Ticats and running up the score with Wally in defense saying what could he do. Stop the rookie from making plays?! It was bizarre that Russell took that view but then again did he ever even see a game?
The way I recall it, he was bemoaning Casey Printers in 2003, in garbage time against the Stamps (their first post-Buono visit to BCP IIRC). And then he promptly went on vacation for 2-3 weeks. Or were there separate incidents of this? Wouldn't surprise me, coming from DR.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Favourite Buck moment was during his rookie season in 2005. Lions were at Mosiac and staring at their first loss of the season with Printers knocked out of the game (Dickenson was already injured) and trailing 15-5. As the score suggests the Lions had done nothing offensively the entire game.

In steps Buck in the 4th quarter and he calmly engineers two late TD drives and the Lions somehow pull out an improbable 19-15 win to improve to 9-0. Don't think I will ever see a rookie 3rd stringer step into a game under those circumstances and do that again. His 4th quarter passing numbers were 9-12 for 191 yards.
Best line to come from that performance was ... What does it take to beat the Saskatchewan Roughriders? Answer...all it takes is a Buck and a quarter.
That's beautiful stuff. Up until that game Mosiac was like kryptonite for the Lions during the early years of the Wally era. Buck also had a huge part of the 2006 cup run when DD was injured for a good chunk of the stretch run.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: I recall Dan Russell bleating about Wally bringing Buck in vs the then hapless Ticats and running up the score with Wally in defense saying what could he do. Stop the rookie from making plays?! It was bizarre that Russell took that view but then again did he ever even see a game?
Dan Russell...there's a name that I vaguely remember from the past. Didn't he used to be somebody in that town?

As to Buck, I admire the guy's guts and courage. He didn't quit, even in the 2011 Grey Cup when the Lions were more or less having their way on defense against the Bombers. I'll miss having him on the roster. High character guy who can fill in in a pinch. If the economics of the league were a little more robust, I think he'd still be around, but it is what it is, as they say. Nothing but the best for him moving forward.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:not to mention that only BC and Wpg should be slightly concerned about QB depth, and I doubt Wpg has much to offer for Glenn). According to NEWS 1130, Wally's been talking to Desjardin about obtaining Glenn and I think there are those that think the two recent QB signings are nothing but training camp fodder and believe Glenn is a big improvement over Elliott.
I'd take issue with 'only BC and Wpg' should be concerned about QB depth.' If I'm the Riders and Toronto, I would be concerned about QB depth as well. Tanner Marsh wasn't exactly a world beater last year in Montreal (except against us) either. Is Elliot really any worse than the guys floating around on those rosters?

And if I'm Glenn, at least in Winnipeg or Montreal, particularly Montreal, I could rationalize having at least an outside chance at starting. (Note: that's not my personal opinion, as I really like Troy Smith). There's no chance of that in BC unless there's an injury. Much like there's no chance of that in Ottawa, unless there's an injury.

But hey, don't listen to me, go ahead and trade a linebacker who had 75 tackles, 3 sacks and 3 INTs for a 35 year old QB with a six figure salary who can come in and be a backup. (Though I'm with you, David, on McKenzie being the upside of what I'd part with).
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:I recall Dan Russell bleating about Wally bringing Buck in vs the then hapless Ticats and running up the score with Wally in defense saying what could he do. Stop the rookie from making plays?! It was bizarre that Russell took that view but then again did he ever even see a game?
The way I recall it, he was bemoaning Casey Printers in 2003, in garbage time against the Stamps (their first post-Buono visit to BCP IIRC). And then he promptly went on vacation for 2-3 weeks. Or were there separate incidents of this? Wouldn't surprise me, coming from DR.
I don't have great recall other than Buck at no 3 that game was put in as the Ticats were done like dinner but he started shooting the lights out and played over what I think everyone expected late in the game. Left Wally in a bind as he was not trying to run up the score but had to ask -what was he to do. The player played super and normally a no. 3 with limited time would have been trying but errors and bad judgment and plain old inexperience against pros who are better and faster than in college just last year would likely have less success than Buck did. The crowd went wild and no doubt this fueled him too as he loved to play. I am pretty sure that Russell accused Wally of running up the score.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
I don't have great recall other than Buck at no 3 that game was put in as the Ticats were done like dinner but he started shooting the lights out and played over what I think everyone expected late in the game. Left Wally in a bind as he was not trying to run up the score but had to ask -what was he to do. The player played super and normally a no. 3 with limited time would have been trying but errors and bad judgment and plain old inexperience against pros who are better and faster than in college just last year would likely have less success than Buck did. The crowd went wild and no doubt this fueled him too as he loved to play. I am pretty sure that Russell accused Wally of running up the score.
Your description is sufficiently detailed, I'll gladly take your word for it. I clearly recalled a different but similar incident. I definitely remember the game here against Cgy in 2003 (the Stamps were in the midst of their own F-Troop gong show at the time). IIRC Dickenson got hurt in that game and was taken out as a precautionary measure in favour of Spergeon Wynn, the 2nd stringer at the time. Between DD & SW, they put up a ton of points while our D held the fort. Printers was put in to kill the last couple minutes of the blowout (final was something like 48-4) and started our last drive fairly deep in our own end. We got out to around midfield and then suddenly he was able to take off for like 45 yards to set up 1st & goal. He was probably the most shocked person in the building at what he just pulled off and even called a timeout at this point, presumably to recompose himself so he could finish the drive (which he did IIRC).

Post-game, Russell went totally ballistic over this timeout (and the rest of it) but of course if you're a raw rookie in what is basically an audition, you want to keep your head straight and impress the coaches. Who knows when, as a 3rd stringer, your next chance to play would come? I don't recall the scenario with Buck that you describe but I suppose the circumstances were similar. Sure sounds like it. Oh well, at least DR was consistent in his reaction to both: consistently misguided. CP and BP both went on to make some solid, if not prolonged, contributions to the Lions and one would have to believe that the positives from their respective earliest forays in leading the offence certainly didn't hurt in their development. But maybe they should have just thrown the ball into the stands on every snap just to keep certain media observers happy. Sometimes I think he just wanted to stir the pot and get everyone worked up, i.e., it was all manufactured outrage, put forth in the name of "good radio", but that's probably giving him too much credit.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
lion24
Legend

I am sure he will be a great running back coach :beer:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Nice to hear that Buck is staying in football.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

EDJ wrote:YES - that is what I would suggest. Since you seem to think you know more than me regarding football - regardless of knowing nothing about me or my background in the sport - what would be your amazing suggestion?? I thought this was a forum where we could share thoughts - since that's all you really can do unless you are Wally, right. So how about making a comment that has any substance instead of making yourself feel good by putting others down. Sol is a great linebacker, but Bighill is better suited for MLB anyways. Johnson is more than capable of filling the WLB spot so what are you so afraid of?? Regardless of having an amazing defence - which they still would with Adam and Jamall - without a quality backup for Lulay, the whole season could be in jeopardy.
Hmm, you'll have to fill me in on where I said I know more than you about football. And I 'm sure you are just as IGNORANT about my background in the sport as I am about yours......

This is a place to share thoughts as you note Wally is really the only person that makes that decison that really matters.

I WOULD BE STUNNED if Ottawa was able to get much for Glenn. Not because he's not a good quarterback. Not because he wouldn't be of use possibly to the Lions. I just don't think you have much of a sellers market when you draft a guy with your first overall pick in the expansion draft and then are trying to trade him a few weeks later. I'm not saying what they have done hasn't made sense based on the other transactions that have happened.

I'll gladly read your thoughts/opinions about the CFL/Lions. I will apologize if you felt offended but I'm baffled as to where you can extrapolate that into judging your football background/knowledge.