RedBlack now have a lumberjack.....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

For a mascot that is. Redblacks unveil their new mascot at a hockey game? Well, he looks okay. Kinda figured it might be some kinda lumberjack mascot. Looks silly in skates, IMO. I'd a save the unveiling for a non-hockey event.... Just my :2cents:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/sw ... -1.2540726
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Reminds me of Johnny Canuck
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

First thing that came to mind....."he chops down trees, he runs and jumps, he likes to press wild flowers.....he puts on women's clothing and hangs around in bars." (credit to Monty Python)
Lloyd
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:For a mascot that is. Redblacks unveil their new mascot at a hockey game? Well, he looks okay. Kinda figured it might be some kinda lumberjack mascot. Looks silly in skates, IMO. I'd a save the unveiling for a non-hockey event.... Just my :2cents:

Jeff Hunt owns both teams (67s & Rouge et Noir) so I'm sure there will be plenty of cross-promotional activities in both directions as long as this continues to be the case.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

Shi Zi Mi wrote:First thing that came to mind....."he chops down trees, he runs and jumps, he likes to press wild flowers.....he puts on women's clothing and hangs around in bars." (credit to Monty Python)
Or maybe, "I want to sing and dance, I want to sing and dance, I want to be a pirate in the Pirates of Penzance" (credit to Ray Stevens)....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Reminds me of Johnny Canuck
There were some good cracks in the twitter feed, IMO. Like 'good to see Brian Mulroney is doing stuff again' and 'WOW, Jay Leno working a new gig as a football mascot'........
sj-roc wrote:
notahomer wrote:For a mascot that is. Redblacks unveil their new mascot at a hockey game? Well, he looks okay. Kinda figured it might be some kinda lumberjack mascot. Looks silly in skates, IMO. I'd a save the unveiling for a non-hockey event.... Just my :2cents:

Jeff Hunt owns both teams (67s & Rouge et Noir) so I'm sure there will be plenty of cross-promotional activities in both directions as long as this continues to be the case.
Okay, so that makes a lot more sense, I guess.....
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

And we go rolling, rolling down white water
The log drivers waltz where we learn to step lively
We go rolling.........

I think they should have gotten a Rick Flair type character. You know the type. Limosine ridin, jet flyin. And then called him "The Senator"
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

This new RedBlack lumberjack-like mascot will be the second descendant after his two previous ancestors from:

Rough Riders mascot

Ruffy the Beaver from the Renegades
ImageImage

If the Lions meet the RedBlacks at the Grey Cup, then it will be Leo against this new mascot.

------------------------------

Likewise, I'm sure the Redblacks are now filling and stocking up with their new cheerleaders as opponents for the Felions, and will also be descendants from their ancestors:

Two generations ago:
ImageImage

One generation ago:
ImageImage

-----------------------------

And while the team will be playing in the same stadium albeit renovated, it will have its third name: TD Place Stadium after Lansdowne Park and then Frank Clair Stadium.

Any thoughts and memories of that stadium?

I remember for the most part the Lions would easily capture a road win over the Rough Riders and then the Renegades, who lost all four home games against the Lions in their four years of existence.

But the Lions were not as good and lucky when it came to championship games held there as the Lions lost both the 1988 and 2004 Grey Cups in that stadium.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:First thing that came to mind....."he chops down trees, he runs and jumps, he likes to press wild flowers.....he puts on women's clothing and hangs around in bars." (credit to Monty Python)
I couldn't remember the words but yes, there is a resemblance:

I was thinking Monty Python and this mascot was a bit of a throwback but what's more modern than a cross dressing lumberjack. The tune is catchy. And Monty Python's doing a re-union where the tickets sold out in 45 seconds IIRC.

EDIT:

This mascot idea and the lumberjack who "puts on women's clothing...." is part of their grand plan. These RedBlacks are strategic.

It is the Monty Python guy they want to emulate.

First they sign Henry Burris and now roll out their cross dressing Lumberjack. Connect the dots.

Ergo, the mascot winning name will be HENRY.

http://cdn.everyjoe.com/files/2010/09/h ... is-bra.jpg
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

From TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=447632

So, the Redblacks listened to the fans and the mascots name will be Big Joe Mufferaw. Now we gotta wonder if Stompin Tom will be at the inaugral RedBlack season opener?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:From TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=447632

So, the Redblacks listened to the fans and the mascots name will be Big Joe Mufferaw. Now we gotta wonder if Stompin Tom will be at the inaugral RedBlack season opener?
Um, he died just over a year ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stompin%27 ... al_service
Connors died of kidney failure on March 6, 2013 at his home in Ballinafad.
It was even mentioned among a few of us in the pub at the time... you must have missed it or forgotten. I'd almost forgotten myself until his name just came up again.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26794
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Robbie wrote:And while the team will be playing in the same stadium albeit renovated, it will have its third name: TD Place Stadium after Lansdowne Park and then Frank Clair Stadium.

Any thoughts and memories of that stadium?

I remember for the most part the Lions would easily capture a road win over the Rough Riders and then the Renegades, who lost all four home games against the Lions in their four years of existence.

But the Lions were not as good and lucky when it came to championship games held there as the Lions lost both the 1988 and 2004 Grey Cups in that stadium.
Unfortunately I've been there only twice...........1988 GC and 2004 GC. Needless to say my thoughts and memories are memorable for all the wrong reasons.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:This mascot idea and the lumberjack who "puts on women's clothing...." is part of their grand plan. These RedBlacks are strategic.
"Puts on women's clothing" I think differs from Lonie Glieberman's strategic plan with the beads. :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
notahomer wrote:From TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=447632

Um, he died just over a year ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stompin%27 ... al_service
Connors died of kidney failure on March 6, 2013 at his home in Ballinafad.
It was even mentioned among a few of us in the pub at the time... you must have missed it or forgotten. I'd almost forgotten myself until his name just came up again.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26794
:bang: Missed it.... Thanks for letting me know.
David
Team Captain

Funny, but I just assumed the Stompin' Tom comment was a nod to the bumbling Rough Rider regime that drafted a dead guy in the 1995 dispersal draft. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar