RedBlack now have a lumberjack.....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Funny, but I just assumed the Stompin' Tom comment was a nod to the bumbling Rough Rider regime that drafted a dead guy in the 1995 dispersal draft. :wink:

DH :cool:
Touche :thup:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:From TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=447632

So, the Redblacks listened to the fans and the mascots name will be Big Joe Mufferaw. Now we gotta wonder if Stompin Tom will be at the inaugral RedBlack season opener?
Well apparently the name of Big Joe Mufferaw is no more, after complaints of political incorrectness from Francophone fans. Ott Citizen has the story:

Mufferaw name sacked by Redblacks: CFL team changes mascot’s moniker following criticism from francophone fans
[Ottawa] called an audible on the name of their mascot on Monday, changing “Big Joe Mufferaw” to “Big Joe” in English and “Grand Jos” in French in response to complaints, primarily from francophone fans.
After receiving online submissions from fans, [Ottawa] named its super-sized, axe-wielding mascot after the fictional character inspired by real-life lumberjack Joseph Montferrand.

He became the subject of many oral and written sotires [sic, stories? —sj-r], including songs by French-Canadian performers La Bolduc and Gilles Vigneault and a 1960s series of children’s books called Tall Tales of Big Joe Mufferaw by regional author Bernie Bedore.

“Mufferaw” was how “Montferrand” came to be known by English-speakers unable to pronounce the surname properly.
So I guess this means the Stompin' Tom song probably won't be played over the PA during games, either.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The French language law rears it's ugly head once again.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The French language law rears it's ugly head once again.
It was not the language law - it is was an Anglicizing a real French icon's name.

I think the sexual overtones must have been a factor too.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://cfl.ca/article/back-in-red-and-b ... w-uniforms

Guess they look okay. I have to admit with this latest incarnation of the Ottawa CFL franchise, I have been underwhelmed at a lot of their decisions but over time they seem to grow on me. For example, I hated the name Redblacks the first day I heard it but now...its okay. I hope Ottawa fans like the name and the new jersies.....

Of the two, I prefer the black but I doubt I'll get to see them play in those for awhile......
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think the unis are boring. The name REDBLACK has not grown on me as it means and describes nothing. But I do like the attempt at associating themselves with the logging past of the Ottawa Valley.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I like the unis. They are unmistakably Ottawa colours. That link wih past franchises is important in reinforcing the city's football tradition. And from a certain angle, they remind me of the Lions' gun-metal-grey third unis.

Link
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Pretty sharp looking uniforms. I like them.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Pretty sharp looking uniforms. I like them.
x2

They fit nicely in the category of "less is more".......too many "busy" uniforms out there for my liking.....IMHO, they are a no nonsense, mean business type of jersey.
Lloyd