Lions' D Line for 2014 -- Mike Beamish re David Menard

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

pennw
Legend

David wrote:Just read that Jermaine Reid has retired. This hurts our non-import DL depth for the upcoming season; I thought he did a great job last year.

DH :cool:
Could be a spot David Menard takes over , so we should still be okay there.
David
Team Captain

Yes, I think you're right. Either the club either said, we're going younger or he got a sneak peek at the depth chart and decided to call it a career. Seems a strange time of year to hang 'em up for any other reason.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Yes, I think you're right. Either the club either said, we're going younger or he got a sneak peek at the depth chart and decided to call it a career. Seems a strange time of year to hang 'em up for any other reason.

Not many veterans are fond of TC.......you may see Reid resurface later, if there is a need by the Lions.
Lloyd
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Aside from Jabar Westerman, who is still in the rotation, the Lions have buried their remaining non-import DL at the bottom of the depth chart. Menard is third behind Jordan at rush end and Doege is fourth. Roper is fourth at the oposite end behind Khreem Smith, Chris Wilson and rookie import Chris Olson. It doesn't look like the team plans on using two Canadians in the rotation.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Menard makes good. :thup:

Makes the team.

Makes the 46.

Probably makes the 44.

And probably gets game reps.

I will be very surprised if he does not suit up. He showed plenty of strength, skill, hustle and savvy in preseason.

As OV suggested, could be the steal of the draft.

Did not watch Bazzie, but it is good to hear others praising his play.

Mitchell and Taylor dominant inside. Smith solid at end.

Looking pretty good.

Thought we had good pressure in preseason, largely without blitz or stunts.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/rogers-lions- ... new-system
Rogers: Lions D-Line buying into new system

Posted: July 12, 2014 11:00 AM

Updated: July 12, 2014 11:23 AM

Steph Rogers
CFL.ca

Mark Washington jokes that he’s not at liberty to talk about what’s left of last year’s BC Lions.

And with reason, because jokes aside, a lot is different in 2014. For one, he’s at the top of the defensive chain. Former defensive coordinator Rich Stubler isn’t around, though parts of him will always be a part of Mark Washington.

Rich Stublerisms, as Washington says, are still there. And as he takes on his first season as the defensive coordinator, he can only appreciate and build on what he learned from his last known source.

“It’s all about making things your own,” he said. “I expect to see guys that are going to run hard and play hard every single down. I want them to have an understanding of how this game is played.

Jim Morris says the BC Lions aren't pressing the panic button just yet, but are fully aware of what's at stake in the early parts of the new season.

Lions Set To Prove They Can Roar
Buy: Lions vs. Riders tickets

“It’s not played on a board, it’s not played on a computer. It’s played by men on a field, by guys that I have a lot of respect for.”

Naturally, it helps that he spent the last six seasons as the defensive backs coach in BC, and finished his own playing career wearing these colours.

“There’s not too many things a player can tell me that I haven’t experienced myself or seen at some point in my career,” he said. “I think they understand that I’m not going to ask them to do things that are impossible.”

The Lions boast a unique group up front. With the return of Khalif Mitchell added to veterans Khreem Smith and Eric Taylor, Washington is happy they’ve bought into the plan.

“These guys can be dominant ... We’re fortunate to have the rare combination of big men that can do a lot of things,” he said. “They’re fast, they understand the game and they’re strong. That’s exactly what I love.”

Eric Taylor is coming off his first season where he played in all 18 games for the Lions, and he's ready to build. In June, the 32-year-old defensive tackle signed an extension with the BC club through 2015.

"To have Khalif beside me that can take control of games himself, [and] Khreem is one of the best defensive ends in the league up here," he said. "Just having him beside you and knowing he's on your line - we can just look at eachother and we just know what we're going to do.

“These guys can be dominant. ”
- Lions Defensive Coordinator Mark Washington

"I can literally look Khreem in his face and not even say a word and I know what he's thinking."

Taylor recorded 35 tackles and five sacks last season, and the Lions defensive corps allowed the second fewest rushing yards (94.4) in the league. Putting an emphasis on the strengths of his men, Washington isn't concerned about that same group posted the third fewest sacks (45).

"We want to impact the quarterback," he said. "A lot of times they put a lot of onus on sacks, and I understand, they should. They're big impact plays."

The Washington playbook goes beyond that one measure, and his line is buying in - even if it hasn't paid dividends quite yet.

"I think more important are turnovers. A tipped ball from a defensive lineman is just as good as a sack - it does the same thing a sack does, and I'd rather have a turnover than a sack any other day."

Like any good example, Taylor feels the veterans - he, Smith, the newly-returned Mitchell, and Jabar Westerman - will set the standard for those less familiar with the league by perfecting their craft.

"We're putting an emphasis on [the turnovers] and they're going to start coming," he said. "We missed a handful this year that we could have scored off of, or gotten the offence back a possession. We haven't done that the first two games"

Entering play in Week 3, the Lions are still finding their footing. Saturday night in Regina will be another step in the right direction to remedy an rough start, they hope. Taylor knew from the moment he and his teammates got the memo all those months ago, naming Washington as the coordinator, that they'd all get onto the same page. Mutual respect will do that.

"He knows the style of defence we can or are capable of playing," Taylor said. "He knows how to put us in a position to let us use our athletic ability and talent, and every week we're just getting better."
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Lions boast a unique group up front. With the return of Khalif Mitchell added to veterans Khreem Smith and Eric Taylor, Washington is happy they’ve bought into the plan.

“These guys can be dominant ... We’re fortunate to have the rare combination of big men that can do a lot of things,” he said. “They’re fast, they understand the game and they’re strong. That’s exactly what I love.”
I agree. Khreem Smith looks better and better to me, and I have liked him from the get go. Big, strong guy. Great motor. Played exceptionally well vs the Riders. Eric Taylor much the same. Much bigger of course in weight. But moves very well for a huge guy. And Mitchell is the phenom. He can occupy an O Line. Haven't noticed Bazzie much yet. Westerman is very good. Menard brings it every play.
Eric Taylor is coming off his first season where he played in all 18 games for the Lions, and he's ready to build. In June, the 32-year-old defensive tackle signed an extension with the BC club through 2015.

"To have Khalif beside me that can take control of games himself, [and] Khreem is one of the best defensive ends in the league up here," he said. "Just having him beside you and knowing he's on your line - we can just look at eachother and we just know what we're going to do.

"I can literally look Khreem in his face and not even say a word and I know what he's thinking."

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html

From Mike Beamish ...
A large side of beef will be missing, however, with tackle Khalif Mitchell out with an upper-body muscle pull (back/ribs) he sustained in the Saskatchewan game. Third-year Lion Jabar Westerman will start in his place.

The 300-pound destroyer, arguably the Lions’ most important offseason acquisition, Mitchell has been controversy-free to this point. He’s also been clean of any statistical measure. Mitchell has yet to record a sack or a tackle, but those zeroes do add up to something, Benevides insisted.

“It doesn’t tell the whole story at all,” the coach explained. “There’s a reason that Biggie (Adam Bighill) and Solly (Solomon Elimimian) are doing so well (36 defensive tackles between them) because those big guys up front are doing their job. At the end of the day, he (Mitchell) is doing his job. The stats don’t always speak for themselves.”
That statement also applies to Khreem Smith, the well-traveled defensive end who passed his three-year anniversary with the Lions two weeks ago and somehow has made time stand still.

Smith was supposed to be a stopgap player when they plucked him out of the Arena League in Week Four of the 2011 season. Yet, despite the team’s intentions to find someone younger and better at the position, he has hung on past his 35th birthday, well respected by his peers, if not well-known in the Canadian Football League.

“I was told I was too old, and they wanted to go a little younger,” said Chris Wilson, the 32-year-old defensive end explaining why he was released by the Lions in June. He’s now a member of the Alouettes. “I know there’s guys on that team (B.C.) older than me. Look at Khreem. I don’t buy the age excuse. Maybe it was because they wanted me to sign an extension and I didn’t sign. I still thought I was the best pass rusher when I was there. But, there’s no question, Khreem is productive (two sacks, 10 tackles in 2014). And that rookie they have there (defensive end Alex Bazzie) has a big upside. He needs to work on some technical things, but I think he’s going to be around this league for a long time.”
Bazzie, who turns 24 next month, has yet to record his first sack for the Lions, although he got a phantom one last Saturday when he had Durant wrapped up before the quarterback vaporized, Houdini-like.

“When Khreem told me his age, I said, like, ‘Wow,’” Bazzie said. “He plays like a guy fresh out of college. His motor is amazing. When you see a guy like him who’s been around football so long, it pushes you, especially when you see what he’s doing at his age. I’m taking down notes. It’s something to be able to play that long. He’s always talking to me about the little keys to look for and the benefits of taking care of your body. He’s always looking at film, trying to get an edge.”
Tied for the team lead in sacks with rookie nickelback Josh Johnson, Smith’s dance card has remained blank since he arrived in B.C. In a league of exhibitionists, he is a nonconformist. He doesn’t buy into groupthink that applies to excessive sack celebrations.

“I’m a professional, so I just go back to the huddle,” Smith says, before adding the kicker. “But I’m also so tired, it’s the last thing on my mind. I’ve got to conserve my energy for the next play. I’d probably get two or three more (all-star) votes if I did an Aaron Hunt dance every time.”

While he won’t be able to feed off Mitchell, taking advantage of the frequent double-teams used to contain him, Smith isn’t worried about the Lions maintaining pressure on Als quarterback Troy Smith.

“One guy shouldn’t mess up your whole lineup,” he said. “I don’t really care who’s out. I feel confident in whoever we put out there.”
I am a big fan of Khreem Smith. Our D Line can be very good. Not so sure yet about Bazzie. Khalif should be fine. And I am a big fan also of Eric Taylor.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

When you get a bead on the quarterback you got to make the sack. Too many times when a quarterback escapes the blitz he'll make you play with either a long completion or a touchdown.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... story.html
Lions’ David Menard making a name for himself

Taken in the fourth round and overshadowed by other Carabins, lineman gets his first sacks

BY MIKE BEAMISH, VANCOUVER SUN OCTOBER 29, 2014

While the province is known for its inexhaustible supply of NHL goaltenders, short-track speedskaters and freestyle skiers, Quebec is also being mined for another promising commodity: football players.

Graduates from the Q — the Ligue de football universitaire du Quebec — have never been better.

As proof, consider a small sampling this week of three grads from the University of Montreal Carabins, all rookie pros selected in the 2014 Canadian Football League draft.

David Foucault, the fifth overall pick (by the Montreal Alouettes), has been named to start at left tackle for the Carolina Panthers Thursday against the New Orleans Saints, as the giant six-foot-eight lineman makes his debut as a starter in the National Football League.

Antoine Pruneau, a first-year defensive back with the Ottawa Redblacks, on Wednesday was named the CFL’s Canadian player of the month, continuing his impressive rookie campaign (62 defensive tackles, 10 special teams tackles) after being taken fourth overall in the CFL draft.

And a third ex-Carabin, David Menard, a rookie defensive lineman with the B.C. Lions, had the first two sacks of his CFL career last Saturday in a 28-23 win over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

“Wow. It’s been a big week for those guys (Foucault and Pruneau),” Menard said following Wednesday’s practice with the Lions.

“I had been chasing my first sack for a while, especially since I had two in a pre-season game. I really wanted to show I could have a great impact on the field.”

Menard’s two-sack performance against the Blue Bombers (he also had a pair of tackles) tended to be obscured by the fourth-quarter rampage of teammate Khreem Smith, the veteran defensive end who finished the game with four sacks and eight tackles. He was named the CFL’s defensive player of the week on Tuesday.

All of Smith’s sacks came within a span of just seven plays in the fourth quarter. “That’s a first,” according to CFL statistician Steve Daniel.

At 35 the oldest starter on the Lions next to the kicker, Smith was quick to throw some love in the direction of Menard, whom he has called Eminem, after the American rapper, since the first week of training camp.

“He’s like my brother from another mother,” Smith said. “Actually, he got his first sack before I did (against Winnipeg), He’s not a virgin anymore. The first week of camp, he showed us he was pretty good, playing inside or outside (on the defensive line). He’s got very good technique. Whoever his D-line coach was in college (in Montreal) taught him very well.”

Though Menard was ranked 13th among the prospects before the 2014 CFL draft — Carabin teammates Foucault (No. 2) and Pruneau (No. 14) were also in the top 15 — the Chicoutimi, Que., native fell to the fourth round. The Lions grabbed him with the 32nd overall pick.

“I can’t lie,” Menard said. “I was aiming for the first round, though I knew it was going to be difficult. I thought, more likely, I’d be gone in the second round. It was disappointing. But I used it for positive motivation. I wanted to show everybody that drafting me in the fourth round was a bit late.”

Menard did 33 reps in the bench press at the CIS Scouting Combine in Toronto to lead all participants, so there was never any question about his strength. He was also ranked among the top scores for his position in tests of agility and change of direction. So there were no doubts about his quickness either.

The one glaring issue was the eyeball test. At six-foot-one and 265 pounds, the focus shifted to his height and the fact Menard simply didn’t look imposing enough for a defensive lineman. “David’s a ’tweener,” Montreal Alouettes defensive co-ordinator Noel Thorpe, who was Menard’s DC with the Carabins, said. “Some people didn’t think he had the size to play inside. But you can see it already, at the pro level, that he has a high motor. He can be very disruptive inside, or on the edge.” In short, being able to do a little of both means more snaps for Menard as a hybrid force.

END ZONE: Lions receiver Ernest Jackson (20 catches, 438 yards, two TDs in three games) was named the CFL’s offensive player of the month for October.
Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... z3I3z0bn4S

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“I had been chasing my first sack for a while, especially since I had two in a pre-season game. I really wanted to show I could have a great impact on the field.”

Menard’s two-sack performance against the Blue Bombers (he also had a pair of tackles) tended to be obscured by the fourth-quarter rampage of teammate Khreem Smith, the veteran defensive end who finished the game with four sacks and eight tackles. He was named the CFL’s defensive player of the week on Tuesday.

All of Smith’s sacks came within a span of just seven plays in the fourth quarter. “That’s a first,” according to CFL statistician Steve Daniel.

At 35 the oldest starter on the Lions next to the kicker, Smith was quick to throw some love in the direction of Menard, whom he has called Eminem, after the American rapper, since the first week of training camp.

“He’s like my brother from another mother,” Smith said. “Actually, he got his first sack before I did (against Winnipeg), He’s not a virgin anymore. The first week of camp, he showed us he was pretty good, playing inside or outside (on the defensive line). He’s got very good technique. Whoever his D-line coach was in college (in Montreal) taught him very well.”
I was very happy when we drafted David Menard. Strong in the lifts. The kind of guy that can get overlooked. Not tall. Not all that heavy for D Line. But in the films he was impressive.

Then he looked good in TC and pre season.

Right now he looks like a first round pick to me.

Great motor. Relentless. Strong. Got good technique.
Though Menard was ranked 13th among the prospects before the 2014 CFL draft — Carabin teammates Foucault (No. 2) and Pruneau (No. 14) were also in the top 15 — the Chicoutimi, Que., native fell to the fourth round. The Lions grabbed him with the 32nd overall pick.

“I can’t lie,” Menard said. “I was aiming for the first round, though I knew it was going to be difficult. I thought, more likely, I’d be gone in the second round. It was disappointing. But I used it for positive motivation. I wanted to show everybody that drafting me in the fourth round was a bit late.”

Menard did 33 reps in the bench press at the CIS Scouting Combine in Toronto to lead all participants, so there was never any question about his strength. He was also ranked among the top scores for his position in tests of agility and change of direction. So there were no doubts about his quickness either.
The one glaring issue was the eyeball test. At six-foot-one and 265 pounds, the focus shifted to his height and the fact Menard simply didn’t look imposing enough for a defensive lineman. “David’s a ’tweener,” Montreal Alouettes defensive co-ordinator Noel Thorpe, who was Menard’s DC with the Carabins, said. “Some people didn’t think he had the size to play inside. But you can see it already, at the pro level, that he has a high motor. He can be very disruptive inside, or on the edge.” In short, being able to do a little of both means more snaps for Menard as a hybrid force.
Easy to write off, as we have seen, based on his size. But the size of the heart is what matters more often. He gives us very good productivity. And certainly helps with the ratio.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rick Klassen wasn't much bigger but he had a decent career as a defensive lineman
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Though Menard was ranked 13th among the prospects before the 2014 CFL draft .....

The one glaring issue was the eyeball test. ........
Easy to write off, as we have seen, based on his size. But the size of the heart is what matters more often. He gives us very good productivity. And certainly helps with the ratio.
How true, WCJ. So easy to write these guys off. Not quite so sure how one leads all the participants in BENCH and ranked amongst top scores in terms of agility and change of direction translating into failing the eyeball test. This sounds like a common scenario in both leagues (NFL/CFL) whereby the stats on the page tell a story that shouldn't surprise but it takes someone giving the player a shot based on percieved weaknesses like size.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As Beamish noted, Menard has a great motor, he's technically sound and he doesn't quit on the play. He doesn't have the reps or the rep of the Lions' other rookie DE, Alex Bazzie, but Menard doesn't make as many mistakes. He has quickly played himself into the D-line rotation and onto the field. That's a great credit to CIS coaching.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:Rick Klassen wasn't much bigger but he had a decent career as a defensive lineman
Don't forget Knucksie was playing in an era where he had to deal with OL who were on average 30# to 40# lighter than they are today. These days almost without exception OL tip the scales at 300+. Back in the 80s most were in the 250 to 270 range. Any OL pushing 280 was the exception to the rule.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.