Lions' D Line for 2014 -- Mike Beamish re David Menard

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:FYI, Korey Banks sent a rather cryptic Tweet out to Ted Laurent today.
@tedlaurent be wise in your selection when it comes to your CFL future. Reach out to other players and ask question.
Gee, I wonder what Korey's advice to Ted would be about signing with BC?? **rolls eyes**

DH :cool:
Some players will have negative things to say about the Lions (Korey Banks for one) while others may have differing views.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:LU reporting today it's looking more and more like Keron Williams will be playing elsewhere this season. Has apparently left Vancouver and moved back to Florida. Yes a poor season for #9 in 2013 but the Lions are also partially to blame by moving the league's best DE to tackle. At the very least, Wally should match the dollar value of his previous contract on a 2 yr deal given what he has done in BC prior to last season's bungled experiment and especially the lack of signing anyone this off-season.

We're not budging on the last offer to Williams but content on bringing back a soon to be 35 year old Khreem Smith next season? LU also reporting Lions waiting word on if Westerman will entertain an extension or play out his option to play closer to his Ontario roots in 2015. Given this team's serious lack of non-import talent, that would be a huge loss.
Not liking this move.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:LU reporting today it's looking more and more like Keron Williams will be playing elsewhere this season. Has apparently left Vancouver and moved back to Florida. Yes a poor season for #9 in 2013 but the Lions are also partially to blame by moving the league's best DE to tackle. At the very least, Wally should match the dollar value of his previous contract on a 2 yr deal given what he has done in BC prior to last season's bungled experiment and especially the lack of signing anyone this off-season.

We're not budging on the last offer to Williams but content on bringing back a soon to be 35 year old Khreem Smith next season? LU also reporting Lions waiting word on if Westerman will entertain an extension or play out his option to play closer to his Ontario roots in 2015. Given this team's serious lack of non-import talent, that would be a huge loss.
Not liking this move.
Williams comes into the cost vs production category, he is a risk for 2014 after his 2013 season. If the Lions persist in using him as a DT, then that risk escalates to the point of letting him go. I am not sure that KW shouldn't be moved along, but if the Lions needs are DT, he isn't the fit for that and I would be much happier if the Lions went out and got a real mean nose tackle or two without baggage.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Joe, I think you are right...Banks crossed a line with that tweet to Laurent...that's an entire franchise he is attacking when he did this, and an entire fan base...I loved KB as a Lion, and I know that Wally broke a promise on renegotiating, but Wally also acquiesced to Banks demand and traded him...it doesn't forgive Wally for what he did, but Banks needs to think about the bigger picture before he opens his "tweet"...not cool Korey, and I have always been one of your biggest supporters...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

SP, so right about Jordan...asking a guy to put on 10 pounds is one thing...35-50 pounds is another...and of course it is going to impede his natural abilities...plus Jordan does not possess the necessary skills to play the role we need him to play on the interior of the DLine...

Albert Einstein
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Joe, I think you are right...Banks crossed a line with that tweet to Laurent...that's an entire franchise he is attacking when he did this, and an entire fan base...I loved KB as a Lion, and I know that Wally broke a promise on renegotiating, but Wally also acquiesced to Banks demand and traded him...it doesn't forgive Wally for what he did, but Banks needs to think about the bigger picture before he opens his "tweet"...not cool Korey, and I have always been one of your biggest supporters...
I kind of hope he's this distracted when he suits up against us... :popcorn:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Mitchell, Smith, Taylor and Wilson. Law Firm.

Good chance that is our starting front four.

Westerman and Reid, junior partners.

If we suit six DL I am OK with it.

Not all that impressed with Wilson.

Mitchell and Taylor inside should be a force.

Could Jordan move ahead of Wilson? If Jordan shows that much I would be very happy.

If this is the way it shakes out, I would expect us to aim for Goossen at OL in the draft. Unless Smith is there for us at number five. Gill or Goossen? Tough call.

OL and DL are still the top needs that I see in the draft. Plus a Safety, of which there are at least two or three that show promise.
Instead, it was a lunch meeting in Queensborough five weeks ago, where two assistant coaches looked the free-spirited 29-year-old defensive tackle in the eye and grilled him for nearly four hours ...

Mitchell says he has changed.

“Just watch,” he said.

If he hasn’t, it will not only reflect poorly on Wally Buono but everyone else canvassed by the general manager of the CFL team, which includes president Dennis Skulsky, and two assistants who saw something different across the lunch counter, defensive co-ordinator Mark Washington and defensive line coach Carl Hairston.

The two coaches who were among the first to suggest Buono make a move that led to his trade a year ago to the Toronto Argonauts are convinced a different player has come back. It doesn’t hurt that Mitchell is also the purrfect keystone for a rebuilding defence that will be greatly aided by his return.

“We pounded him for hours. You could just tell by the way he talked,” said Hairston, who spotted his share of pretenders for nearly three decades in the NFL before he first came in contact with Mitchell prior to the 2011 season.
“What was eye-catching to me was his body appearance. When Khalif was here the first time he didn’t work out as much. I watched all his games for Toronto. He was a totally transformed player.”
In better shape.
Mitchell’s release by the Argos wasn’t also a simple case of being given a chance to pursue NFL options, either. According to a league source, the NFL narrative by the Argos was done out of courtesy for a player who was being released despite named to the CFL all-star team last season.
Released. With cover story.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Mitchell, Smith, Taylor and Wilson. Law Firm.

Could Jordan move ahead of Wilson? If Jordan shows that much I would be very happy.
Little scary to say the least WC Joe. I think Wilson and Smith are decent complimentary DEs but not much more than that, especially at this stage of their careers. During Wilson's previous stint here Brent Johnson was the league's best DE. Same could be said for Keron Williams during much of Smith's time here too. Now at least one of them has to be a big time contributor and flirt with double digits in sacks. Won't be holding my breath for that to happen.

And of course Mitchell's arrival means Westerman is very likely to be a depth guy again as part of a rotation. Won't be surprised at all if he heads back east in 2015. For sure I believe in guys having to earn their playing time but the Lions have shown a ridiculous amount of patience to develop certain starting Canadian safeties but the guy they moved up to get in the draft isn't getting the same opportunity.
Believe me, a focused Mitchell is a huge addition but still doesn't sit right with me that we have two aging import DEs and a young Canadian DT is likely not going see many more reps than he has in the previous two seasons.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Mitchell, Smith, Taylor and Wilson. Law Firm.

Little scary to say the least WC Joe. I think Wilson and Smith are decent complimentary DEs but not much more than that, especially at this stage of their careers. During Wilson's previous stint here Brent Johnson was the league's best DE. Same could be said for Keron Williams during much of Smith's time here too. Now at least one of them has to be a big time contributor and flirt with double digits in sacks. Won't be holding my breath for that to happen.

And of course Mitchell's arrival means Westerman is very likely to be a depth guy again as part of a rotation. Won't be surprised at all if he heads back east in 2015. For sure I believe in guys having to earn their playing time but the Lions have shown a ridiculous amount of patience to develop certain starting Canadian safeties but the guy they moved up to get in the draft isn't getting the same opportunity.
Believe me, a focused Mitchell is a huge addition but still doesn't sit right with me that we have two aging import DEs and a young Canadian DT is likely not going see many more reps than he has in the previous two seasons.
All good points, Sammy.

Doesn't seem like we are building with youth, more like staying with the proven and comfortable.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions plan to start Brandon Jordan ahead of Chris Wilson at DE this year, according to LU. The other projected starters are as previously discussed.
And for those asking about how the defensive front shapes up potentially, the Lions are looking at a group with Mitchell and Eric Taylor in the middle, with Khreem Smith and Brandon Jordan on the outside for starters, at least until the first snap of training camp. That presumes the Lions have moved past Keron Williams, and our posting here Thursday would suggest there’s still some courting taking place.

That and more in his weekly Uproar blog:
Link
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions plan to start Brandon Jordan ahead of Chris Wilson at DE this year, according to LU. The other projected starters are as previously discussed.
And for those asking about how the defensive front shapes up potentially, the Lions are looking at a group with Mitchell and Eric Taylor in the middle, with Khreem Smith and Brandon Jordan on the outside for starters, at least until the first snap of training camp. That presumes the Lions have moved past Keron Williams, and our posting here Thursday would suggest there’s still some courting taking place.

That and more in his weekly Uproar blog:
Link
Jordan has shown some energy and athleticism. Hope he makes good with his opportunity. As indicated a few times I did not see all that much from Chris Wilson.

Next up what seems to me to be a rather deep draft class. Hoping for at least three keepers. We are somewhat thin in the NI roster.

MexicoLionFan
Legend

We will see what happens with Jordan outside at camp...but last year, in the few opportunities he got outside he was awful. I would say that our DLine going into the season is a concern. Khreem Smith has never been great and now he's approaching 35...Wilson did nothing upon arriving last year...Jordan doesn't have the experience or knowledge to be a great DE (maybe raw talent???), Taylor is aging and over rated IMO and we don't know what we are getting just yet with Mitchell. I am shocked that Wally thinks things are all tickity boo here...

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

I still have hopes that a deal can be worked out with Keron Williams. There's been a lot of to'ing and fro'ing between the team and Keron's agent, and I'm hoping it's just the usual negotiating dance, and we'll see him at TC. If not, I believe we're in trouble at the DE spot and will having difficulty in mounting a credible pass rush. Smith has never been elite (although he has been adequate), and Wilson hasn't impressed anybody. Why would we think Jordan would excel out there? Earlier, Benny made a big deal about Jordan being the answer inside (which seem ridiculous to me given his size and build)--before Mitchell was signed. Now, all of sudden, he's the answer outside?
pennw
Legend

South Pender wrote:I still have hopes that a deal can be worked out with Keron Williams. There's been a lot of to'ing and fro'ing between the team and Keron's agent, and I'm hoping it's just the usual negotiating dance, and we'll see him at TC. If not, I believe we're in trouble at the DE spot and will having difficulty in mounting a credible pass rush. Smith has never been elite (although he has been adequate), and Wilson hasn't impressed anybody. Why would we think Jordan would excel out there? Earlier, Benny made a big deal about Jordan being the answer inside (which seem ridiculous to me given his size and build)--before Mitchell was signed. Now, all of sudden, he's the answer outside?
Well Jordan does have the body type for an outside rusher as opposed to a DT body type . He has shown flashes at times and is young, athletic and rangy so I'm having a wait and see approach to Jordan at DE .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

LU says the return of Khalif Mitchell has left the Lions with an oversupply of defensive linemen, so Adrian Awasom (the third piece in the Mitchell trade with Toronto last year, along with Cord Parks) has been cut.
As we pointed out a few weeks back before the deal to re-sign Mitchell was announced, what looked like a one-sided trade the other way has become a slam dunk with the Lions, as Parks became a fixture last season. The problem for Awasom, however, was that Mitchell’s return made it impossible for him to survive and Thursday he was cut. B.C. already had nine defensive linemen under contract at the start of the week. They’ll likely only keep seven, including one for the practice roster.
Uproar blog